04/30/2012 Draft Simulator

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Draft Simulator, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.

i can't load it. is there something wrong with the file?
[sblock Draft]Round 1:
Sengir Vampire
Vampire Outcasts
Tormented Soul
Diabolic Tutor
Hideous Visage
Titanic Growth
Duskhunter Bat
Tormented Soul
Alluring Siren
Aven Fleetwing
Phantasmal Image
Reverberate
Taste of Blood
Naturalize
Swamp

Round 2:
Flameblast Dragon
Stormblood Berserker
Vampire Outcasts
Blood Seeker
Mana Leak
Goblin Fireslinger
Phantasmal Bear
Azure Mage
Frost Breath
Visions of Beyond
Alluring Siren
Plummet
Flight
Ponder
Plains

Round 3:
Sengir Vampire
Doom Blade
Vampire Outcasts
Divination
Reassembling Skeleton
Manalith
Ponder
Mana Leak
Frost Breath
Blood Seeker
Ponder
Gladecover Scout
Turn to Frog
Unsummon
Plains
[/sblock]

DECKLIST (40)
LANDS (17)
8 x Island
9 x Swamp

CREATURES (15)
1 x Phantasmal Bear
2 x Tormented Soul
1 x Phantasmal Image
1 x Azure Mage
1 x Alluring Siren
2 x Blood Seeker
1 x Duskhunter Bat
1 x Aven Fleetwing
3 x Vampire Outcasts
2 x Sengir Vampire

OTHER SPELLS (8)
1 x Unsummon
2 x Ponder
2 x Mana Leak
1 x Doom Blade
2 x Frost Breath

NOTABLE SIDEBOARD CARDS
1 x Turn to Frog - Difficult creatures without hexproof
1 x Alluring Siren - small creatures to force feed Sengir
1 x Reassembling Skeleton - Tough creature to deal with on the ground
1 x Hideous Visage - Non-black decks, since most of my creatures are black
1 x Diabolic Tutor - Doubt this would be sided in, but it can find something very important if needed

[sblock Mana Curve]Creatures
1cc - 3
2cc - 6
3cc - 0
4cc - 4
5cc - 2
6cc - 0
7cc - 0

Other Spells
1cc - 3
2cc - 3
3cc - 2
4cc - 0
5cc - 0
6cc - 0
7cc - 0

Total
1cc - 6
2cc - 9
3cc - 2
4cc - 4
5cc - 2
6cc - 0
7cc - 0[/sblock]

This deck should be fairly consistent for limited.  I was going to include Manalith since I have no creatures at a 3-drop, but not sure it would make much of a difference with only 5 creatures over 3 cmc.  Blue will be mostly for control and card drawing, where black will be mostly creatures.  I did think of going BR, but it looked like red was being cut so I decided on blue as my second color.  I could have gone either way, and it was not easy to eliminate red with a Flameblast Dragon.  I'm pretty happy with the results and think this deck should win most games.  Give me your opinions.
Well that was interesting.  Black was clearly open early and I was going Black/Blue but then opened up Flameblast Dragon.  This is one of the few cards that is just so good it can make you shift colours.  I then spent all my picks grabbing as many creatures as I could and ended up with another bloodthirst deck (for those who reguarly do the draft you will know this is not uncommon for me).
Well that was interesting.  Black was clearly open early and I was going Black/Blue but then opened up Flameblast Dragon.  This is one of the few cards that is just so good it can make you shift colours.  I then spent all my picks grabbing as many creatures as I could and ended up with another bloodthirst deck (for those who reguarly do the draft you will know this is not uncommon for me).

I had the same thoughts as you did with the draft.  I was thinking of a UB deck, then I saw the Dragon.  I started to pull red, but didn't see enough good cards.  I keep looking for red cards, but good blue and black when I didn't find something in red.  Finally decided to fully commit to UB starting pack 3 without seeing much red early.  I may have passed the Dragon if there was something worth pulling first pick in black or blue.  I hated pulling the Dragon, then not playing it.  If it was a single R in cost, I probably would have splashed for it.  This may not be what some other drafters would do, but I'm happy with the final outcome of my deck.
Went U/B control.  It has a little bit of aggro to it though.  It does hurt to pass the dragon, but  I already had 2 Ice Cages and there was another one in that same pack, so I figured I could answer it.

Round 1:
Sengir Vampire
Vampire Outcasts
Phantasmal Image
Child of Night
Amphin Cutthroat
Distress
Duskhunter Bat
Ice Cage
Alluring Siren
Aven Fleetwing
Ice Cage
Reverberate
Taste of Blood
Naturalize
Swamp

Round 2:
Ice Cage
Disentomb
Vampire Outcasts
Skywinder Drake
Mana Leak
Ponder
Phantasmal Bear
Azure Mage
Frost Breath
Levitation
Alluring Siren
Coral Merfolk
Flight
Amphin Cutthroat
Plains

Round 3:
Sengir Vampire
Consume Spirit
Vampire Outcasts
Gravedigger
Merfolk Looter
Arachnus Web
Ponder
Levitation
Disentomb
Distress
Ponder
Pride Guardian
Fog
Unsummon
Plains

Creatures (16)

Non-Creatures (7)
[deck]
3x Ice Cage
1x Mana Leak
2x Distress
1x Consume Spirit
[/deck]

Lands
[deck]
8x Swamp
9x Island
[/deck]

Creatures
1-1
2-6
3-1
4-6
5-2

Non-Creatures
1-0
2-6
3-1
4-0
5-0

Total
1-1
2-12
3-2
4-6
5-2

Frack.  Blue is too prominent for Consume Spirit to be the promising finisher I was hoping it would be.  I think this deck is okay, but it just feels "off" somehow.  And I'm shaky with control in general.

Okay, i just went back and tried to draft R/B.  And despite the fact that you're fighting both of your neighbors for red and your left hand neighbor for black too it looks like you're turning out, not just okay, but frankly, much better than the U/B build.  After thinking about it some, I think the issue is just that even what red you do get synergizes with your black pool that much better than your blue pool does.
R/B

Round 1:
Sengir Vampire
Vampire Outcasts
Tormented Soul
Child of Night
Hideous Visage
Distress
Duskhunter Bat
Tormented Soul
Slaughter Cry
Aven Fleetwing
Phantasmal Image
Flight
Taste of Blood
Naturalize
Swamp

Round 2:
Flameblast Dragon
Stormblood Berserker
Vampire Outcasts
Gorehorn Minotaurs
Fling
Goblin Fireslinger
Phantasmal Bear
Fling
Goblin Grenade
Timely Reinforcements
Firebreathing
Coral Merfolk
Flight
Ponder
Plains

Round 3:
Sengir Vampire
Doom Blade
Vampire Outcasts
Gravedigger
Duskhunter Bat
Goblin Arsonist
Slaughter Cry
Goblin Arsonist
Disentomb
Blood Seeker
Zombie Infestation
Pride Guardian
Goblin Tunneler
Unsummon
Plains

Creatures (18)
[deck]
1x Goblin Arsonist
1x Goblin Fireslinger
2x Tormented Soul
1x Child of Night
2x Duskhunter Bat
1x Blood Seeker
1x Goblin Tunneler
1x Stormblood Berserker
1x Gorehorn Minotaurs
1x Gravedigger
3x Vampire Outcasts
2x Sengir Vampire
1x Flameblast Dragon
[/deck]

Non-Creatures (6)
[deck]
1x Disentomb
2x Fling
1x Doom Blade
2x Slaughter Cry
[/deck]

Lands (17)
[deck]
9x Swamp
8x Mountain
[/deck]

Creatures (18)
1-4
2-6
3-0
4-5
5-2
6-1

Non-Creatures (6)
1-1
2-3
3-2
4-0
5-0
6-0

Total (24)
1-5
2-9
3-2
4-5
5-2
6-1

Okay, well after looking at how this deck turned out I am MUCH more comfortable with it that I am with my U/B control deck.  Sooooo much better able to turn on my 3 bomby Vampire Outcasts (and incidentally, my gorehorn...).  Yes the deck is 41 cards.  I don't think 1 extra card really matters too much statistically between 40 and 41.

If I had to pick between the two, I'd definitely go with the R/B one.  The U/B has some very neat stuff, but it's not terribly synergistic. The more I look at the decks, the more I keep finding my self wanting to push aggro with them, but the U support for aggro is just not as good as the R.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Round 1:
Sengir Vampire
Vampire Outcasts
Phantasmal Image
Child of Night
Hideous Visage
Distress
Bloodrage Vampire
Tormented Soul
Cancel
Cancel
Tormented Soul
Reverberate
Taste of Blood
Naturalize
Swamp

Round 2:
Flameblast Dragon
Stormblood Berserker
Vampire Outcasts
Gorehorn Minotaurs
Mana Leak
Goblin Fireslinger
Plummet
Fling
Flashfreeze
Disentomb
Alluring Siren
Plummet
Flight
Ponder
Plains

Round 3:
Sengir Vampire
Doom Blade
Vampire Outcasts
Gravedigger
Reassembling Skeleton
Manalith
Slaughter Cry
Child of Night
Disentomb
Distress
Ponder
Pride Guardian
Goblin Tunneler
Unsummon
Plains

Was anticipating blue as a second color, Flameblast Dragon in pack two required a pivot.  The deck is light on removal as drafters on both sides were red; with Bloodthirst, creature quality is very good and helps compensate.  Hopefully Distress can remove the big threats before they reach the battlefield.  Ashame that no vampire lord came up.

Creatures
2 x Tormented Soul
Goblin Fireslinger
2 x Child of Night
Stormblood Berserker
Bloodrage Vampire
3 x Vampire Outcasts
Gorehorn Minotaurs
2 x Sengir Vampire
Flameblast Dragon

Other Spells
2 x Disentomb
Doom Blade
2 x Distress
Fling
Slaughter Cry
Hideous Visage
Manalith

Land
11 Swamp
6 Moutain

Sideboard
Taste of Blood
Reverberate
Gravedigger
Reassembling Skeleton

Black comes on strong and then dies in pack 2.  Blue was strong through-out.  The problem with most of the nice black cards is the double B in the cc.

anyway, here is how my draft went:

So I ended up with this deck.  Sad part it is there was two dual lands in color and I passed on both for good cards.  The hard part was bringing the non-land cards from around 30 to 22-24.

Creatures (16):
Phantasmal Bear
Tormented Soul
Phantasmal Image
Alluring Siren x 2
Azure Mage
Merfolk Looter
Skywinder Drake x 2
Aether Adept
Bloodrage Vampire
Vampire Outcasts x 3
Belltower Sphinx
Sengir Vampire

Spells (6):
Ponder x 3
Unsummon
Doom Blade
Levitation

Land (18):
Island x 10
Swamp x 8

Concept is to use Ponder and Merfolk Looter to sift down to find by mana and then my vampires.  I chose Levitation instead of Hideous Visage as my evasion enabler because it stays out.  I had a hard time removing the Alluring Siren who could feed the Sengir Vampire or force trigger the Belltower Sphinx.  I also remove the control cards Mana Leak and Frost Breath which could change the feel of the deck.  At some point you have to filter down the deck.  I chose a little more speed option than control, even though I would hardly call this a fast deck.  I also cut the recurssion cards for making the deck a little more slim as well.  The deck is a little slow for this environment, but I am hopeful that I have enough filters to help it overcome this short-fall and win in a mid-game scenario.
Round 1:
Sengir Vampire
Vampire Outcasts
Tormented Soul
Child of Night
Hideous Visage
Fling
Duskhunter Bat
Tormented Soul
Auramancer
Doubling Chant
Phantasmal Image
Reverberate
Taste of Blood
Naturalize
Swamp

Round 2:
Flameblast Dragon
Stormblood Berserker
Vampire Outcasts
Gorehorn Minotaurs
Fling
Goblin Fireslinger
Goblin Piker
Goblin Arsonist
Goblin Grenade
Fiery Hellhound
Amphin Cutthroat
Coral Merfolk
Flight
Ponder
Plains

Round 3:
Sengir Vampire
Consume Spirit
Vampire Outcasts
Gravedigger
Duskhunter Bat
Manic Vandal
Fiery Hellhound
Goblin Arsonist
Wall of Torches
Act of Treason
Zombie Infestation
Gladecover Scout
Goblin Tunneler
Unsummon
Plains

I made a R/B bloodthirst deck. It has 5 one mana drops that ensure the bloodthirst ability is triggered in later drops (unblockable and sirect damage to a player), making 3 vampire outcasts, gorehorn minotaurs, storm berseker, 2 duskhunter bats quite powerfull. It also has two sengir vampires and a flameblast dragon and a couple of three drops that were lacking (fiery hellhound and manic vandal). It maybe lacks some removal (has a consume spirit and 2 fling), but the goblin arsonists can also help removing small ceatures. I think the powerfull bloodthirst ceatures make up for the lack of removal.

lands (17):
8 swamp, 9 mauntain

ceatures (19):
1 goblin fireslinger
2 goblin arsonist
2 tormented soul
2 duskhunter bat
1 child of the night
1 storm berserker
1 manic vandal
2 fiery hellhound
3 vampire outcasts
1 gorehorn minotaurs
2 sengir vampire
1 flameblast dragon

other (4):
2 fling
1 consume spirit
1 act of treason

So would this be playable? Any tips on how to sort the list btw as a deck?? ty

I don't even know where to start.  Seven playable creatures in a R/G deck and no concept of if you are aggro (2 bloodthirst creatures) or passive (2 Fog)  Not to mention the fact that you draft a defender with pack3,pick1...

I come to the conclusion that you are not being serious, or you really need to read more and post less.