Creating a Deity

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am creating a god to place in a game I am going to be DMing. Is there any character sheets for a god that I could use for easy set up or do I need to reaserch into it to create him?
Do you really need a stat sheet for them?  It's a god ... it's a plot device, it does what you need it to do.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
I am going to be playing him as my character.
But your...the DM.  So you're character is an NPC.  And why would you even consider trying to make a god as a character?  Unless he was a depowered god, in which case there would be no point in asking for a guideline to make a god because you would just make a normal character and say he's a god.

If you have the offline monster builder open it and you can find gods like Lolth, Bahamut and a few others.  Otherwise what you need to do is sit down and think about what your god is, what are its domains of influence because that'll most likely govern the type of abilities you give it.  And then build a solo.

But again, a god as a character doesn't really make much sense, it's a bloody god it can do anything you want it to.   
Except be useful, relevant, or any alignment besides selfish prick, they can't admit to being wrong no matter how many times they screw up or how many people they get killed, cursed, or mutilated, they can never let anyone else have the last word, or think things through more than a few steps, show empathy for any other beings or even pretend to contribute to a real solution without someone first prostrating themselves physically or emotionally to you. Gods are actually rather limited.

In the game I am thinking of creating Acheron will be a dormat god that has awoken recently and is leading a campain to wipe out all other evil or good gods depending on how I play him. He will be fighting the other gods while the other PC's are fighting their mortal champions.
No, there are no character sheets for gods.  Gods are not intended to be characters.  It would have to be a 100% custome exercise to make a PC god.  However, there are monster stats for gods, both official and unofficial.
I could see a character being the Avatar (or intended Avatar) of a diety. (no I don't mean air-bender crap). But a follower (probably a priest, but could be any divine character) who is chosen by the god to become his/her vessel on the dimension/plane. Maybe take the Demi-god epic destiny with different flavor text to take rightful place in the celestial spheres.

but no, unlike previous editions, 4th does not stat out gods. They are... GODS. Beings so powerful that stating them out in mortal terms would be rediculous.

OK, all stats are 50. Or 100. Then they have there different rolls in combat, which have different strengths and weaknesses, and are (possibly) squabbling and/or forming alliances which are ever-shifting. They have access to all the powers of at least one divine class and one of any other class. (That's as close as I'll ever come to suggesting/endorsing Hybrids).
And they have armies of lesser celestial beings as servants, lackeys, go-fer's, productions assistants, divine agents, and armies.

There you go.
Um 4e stats out gods quite a bit, I mean not as much as 3e (and I don't know how common for a proper god to get statted out before that) but I know lolth, bahamut, and tiamut got statted up.

Torog, and Orcus also got statted up but those two aren't proper deities, Torog got messed up and Orcus is right on the bloody edge of ascension but never quite manages to hold onto god-hood. 
Um 4e stats out gods quite a bit, I mean not as much as 3e (and I don't know how common for a proper god to get statted out before that) but I know lolth, bahamut, and tiamut got statted up.

Torog, and Orcus also got statted up but those two aren't proper deities, Torog got messed up and Orcus is right on the bloody edge of ascension but never quite manages to hold onto god-hood. 

Actually Torog is a full fledged god.  He is listed as a god in the DMG and his article in dragon/dungeon (can't remember which) specifically stats that he is a god, despite the other gods wishing to caste him out.

You also forgot the Vecna has stats.  I think so far we have official deity stats for:  Bahamut,  Lolth, Tiamat, Torog, & Vecna
Torog got statted up but he's missing some of the god features, his description said he was badly damaged and never quite recovers his full godly powers.

Actually Torog is a full fledged god.  He is listed as a god in the DMG and his article in dragon/dungeon (can't remember which) specifically stats that he is a god, despite the other gods wishing to caste him out.

You also forgot the Vecna has stats.  I think so far we have official deity stats for:  Bahamut,  Lolth, Tiamat, Torog, & Vecna

and there are... how many dieties? 11 in the PH1, a bunch from Forgotten Realms, and we have stats for 5. I'm not counting that as statting out the gods.
They're gods, they're statted, you're wrong.

Now that said back in 3e every god and their dog got statted out, and then some. Did anyone actually use the green haired dwarf chick from the back of the deities and demigod's book? What about that Sun and shadow duotheism?

Torog got statted up but he's missing some of the god features, his description said he was badly damaged and never quite recovers his full godly powers.

You may not think of him as a god, but the default is that he is a god.  He is listed as a god in the DMG, the compendium, Underdark and the DDI article on him.  He has worshipers and discorporates, which I believe is unique to gods.
I never said he wasn't a god, I just don't put him in the same category as the dragons or lolth because his description cites him as being messed the [expletive deleted] up. Also I thought he couldn't discorporate.
5 of the number of gods documented for 4th is indeed a massive proportioin. I am so in error.

Um, Dave2008? Did your question get answered to your satisfaction? Did you get the information you needed? Or the ideas to work what you wanted?
I never said he wasn't a god, I just don't put him in the same category as the dragons or lolth because his description cites him as being messed the [expletive deleted] up. Also I thought he couldn't discorporate.

Torog can discorporate, he does so differently though.  I can't remember how, but I can loo it up if you want?
5 of the number of gods documented for 4th is indeed a massive proportioin. I am so in error.

Um, Dave2008? Did your question get answered to your satisfaction? Did you get the information you needed? Or the ideas to work what you wanted?

They have stated 5 of the 20 main gods (25%).  This is not a huge portion, but they have stated gods.  To say they don't count because they didn't stat all of the gods is a little odd a think.

Also, I didn't have any question that needed to be answered, so I am not sure if your confused or just being a little snarky.
I think he's just getting you mixed up with acfreakman12, the OP.
They're gods, they're statted, you're wrong.

Now that said back in 3e every god and their dog got statted out, and then some. Did anyone actually use the green haired dwarf chick from the back of the deities and demigod's book? What about that Sun and shadow duotheism?

I actually use the dualism, it is flavorfull when developed. Albeit it is existing along the common gods, as a sort of diffuse principes, it's complicated theology.