5th Edition: Home Play vs Online Campaign Setting/Tournaments

HOMEPLAY RULEBOOK vs. WOTC ONLINE CAMPAIGN SETTINGS

There needs to be a line drawn in the universe where the Homeplay Roleplay DD& game is a nice leather bound rule book with simple gameplay with full campaign setting development rules to help homeplay groups establish their own intellectual property settings in mind.

This allows WOTC to commit to the Development of Online Campaign settings (In all its Settings- Mystara, Greyhawk, Ravenloft, Forgotten Realms, Spelljammer, Eberron, ect.) which it owns outright and global online play progresses the setting (and ultimately writes the WOTC Published Fiction when players are invited to participate in online tournaments that determine major campaign events in game and fiction).
The Citadel Megadungeon: http://yellowdingosappendix.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/the-citadel-mega-dungeon-now-with-room.html

To me D&D is a game you play with real people around a table it should never be an online game. I play MMOs and have played most of the video game versions of D&D and I think making D&D dependent on online components and web pages is the worst possible thing wizards could do. I don’t want another video game/ tournament online I want to play D&D at a table with my friends. Wizards is bad at online they need to stop with online.  At the end of the day D&D is a face to face social game and I don’t want to play it online. I have wow and halo for that.

@Asperdn
You mean the actual game being played online right?  You don't mind tools for DMs that they can use or not use to make their home games better right?

Also I think yellowdingo was talking about "official" campaigns versus home campaigns.   The living campaigns for example are "official" campaigns.  I'm sure the encounters at the D&D stores are like that too.  

I personally don't care that much about all that stuff but I wouldn't ignore it if for no other reason than that it introduces new people to the game.

I've been in the VT beta nearly since the beginning. I've watched it grow and flourish in that time, but it definitely does need a lot of work. Truth be told, I do like it. But, there is nothing that is better than sitting around a table, drinking a (insert drink of choice), laughing at everything going on around you, and being able to celebrate those 20s when they come at the most opportune times with a group of yelling people.

The only problem I have at age 32 though mostly is time. I don't have a lot of time to go out every week, find a group of gamers that can meet consistently, and do that. So, if I had to pick between not playing at all, and using a virtual tabletop setting, I'll take the latter. 
I think the VTT is good for the game even if all players don't use it.   There is always the guy that lives way out in the big bad woods alone.  (with an internet satelite uplink Smile)

There needs to be a line drawn in the universe where the Homeplay Roleplay DD& game is a nice leather bound rule book with simple gameplay with full campaign setting development rules to help homeplay groups establish their own intellectual property settings in mind.

This allows WOTC to commit to the Development of Online Campaign settings (In all its Settings- Mystara, Greyhawk, Ravenloft, Forgotten Realms, Spelljammer, Eberron, ect.) which it owns outright and global online play progresses the setting (and ultimately writes the WOTC Published Fiction when players are invited to participate in online tournaments that determine major campaign events in game and fiction).

I totally agree!  D&D should have one Rulebook for people who play homebrew games with their friends and family.  And another Rulebook for Encounters, Living Campaigns and Conventions where there is no DM common sense and everything needs to be spelled out, nerfed down and balanced so no one cries in their Mountain Dew.

I don't see where people get the idea that having online components for D&D and having physical books is somehow a binary choice, that the use of one precludes the use of the other, and therefore that D&D has to be SOLELY offline or online.  I use online components (the compendium & the CB) when running my tabletop campaign, I flip through books to get ideas for my VTT games.  Whatever is more convenient at the time.  And if you are completely averse to having online (or offline, though I see more aversion to computers from people who prefer books than vice versa) components in your game, then don't use them.  It doesn't mean they shouldn't be an option.

To me D&D is a game you play with real people around a table it should never be an online game. I play MMOs and have played most of the video game versions of D&D and I think making D&D dependent on online components and web pages is the worst possible thing wizards could do. I don’t want another video game/ tournament online I want to play D&D at a table with my friends. Wizards is bad at online they need to stop with online.  At the end of the day D&D is a face to face social game and I don’t want to play it online. I have wow and halo for that.

The thing is, playing it via somethign like the VTT is in no way like playing a video game except in the most superficial of ways (i.e. you are at a computer instead of around a table).  The only difference between playing at a table or on the VTT is that we are using technology to talk to each other and for all of us to see what is going on and to take care of some of the number crunching, rather than us all being in the same place.  The DM is still running the game just like he would in a tabletop game, the players have exactly the same options as in a tabletop game, the nature of the game does not change by being played via technology.  On top of that, ones choices for whom to game with are not limited to the number of gamers who live within driving distance, whch for me at least, is very small. Playing it with something like the VTT doesn't magically change it into an MMO.

All in all, I think 5e needs to be more tech friendly, not less.   

There needs to be a line drawn in the universe where the Homeplay Roleplay DD& game is a nice leather bound rule book . . .

If you want to pay extra for leather, that's fine.  However, I don't, and I know I'm not alone.  A limited run of leather bound for those willing to pay the higher price is the way to go.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

There needs to be a line drawn in the universe where the Homeplay Roleplay DD& game is a nice leather bound rule book . . .

If you want to pay extra for leather, that's fine.  However, I don't, and I know I'm not alone.  A limited run of leather bound for those willing to pay the higher price is the way to go.

I'm not even wanting to pay extra for hardback ...
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.