Mono Forest Deck

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm constructing my second deck now and it's a mono forest. It started out as a randoms deck and then I added a few cards to it to make it better, but I would love some feedback.

I was focusing on making it be able to fight my Angel deck which is why some of the cards are focused against flying decks. 

22 Land:

14 x Forest
4 x Selesnya Sanctuary
2 x Turntimber Grove
2 x Khalni Garden

24 Creatures:

1 x Artisan of Kozilek
1 x Tree of Redemption
1 x Scorned Villager
2 x Cudgel Troll
4 x Ambush Viper
3 x Garruk's Companion
3 x Wall of Tanglecord
1 x Scattershot Archer
1 x Awakener Druid
1 x Greater Basilisk
1 x Stomper Cub
1 x Festerhide Boar
1 x Stampeding Rhino
1 x Oakgnarl Warrior
2 x Llanowar Elves

7 Artifacts:

2 x Bladed Pinions
2 x Slagwurm Armor
1 x Accorder's Shield
1 x Orge's Cleaver
1 x Skullclamp

4 Enchantments:

2 x Trollhide
1 x Boar Umbra
1 x Exoskeletal Armor

8 Instants:

3 x Naturalize
2 x Fog
2 x Plummet
1 x Titanic Growth

2 Sorcery:

2 x Explore 

Total Cards: 67 
decks should rarely have more than 60-61 cards, and the creature base seems to be...very disoragnized. what do you want the deck to accomplish?
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
decks should rarely have more than 60-61 cards, and the creature base seems to be...very disoragnized. what do you want the deck to accomplish?

Originally I was looking at a Trample Deck, then I switched to possibly a death touch deck, but I added some useful cards against flying. Yes, I find it disorganized too and that's mostly because they are randoms. 

My focus would be death touch I suppose.  

Originally I was looking at a Trample Deck, then I switched to possibly a death touch deck, but I added some useful cards against flying. Yes, I find it disorganized too and that's mostly because they are randoms. 

My focus would be death touch I suppose.  

not good with death touch, but 4 Ambush Viper should be a must. There aren't many green deathtouch creatures. G/B would be better so that you could add in Onyx Mage, and othr deathtouch spells.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
I have 4 Ambush Viper in my deck already. I love the Flash and Deathtouch combination to surprise my opponents.
Death touch by itself isn't a really strong strategy. U can force some bad blocks, but other than that, it won't come into play a whole lot. Now trample is a great way to force damage through, and green has it in spades. That may be a better focus than merely death touch. Also, green's critters tend to be larger and tougher than all other colors, so deathtouch isn't a big deal for green-u will win in combat already.

Def playsets of cards, but u already know this. Mono G aggro is pretty crazy I think. strangleroot Geist is wicked. skinshifter too. Tons of mana dorks to accelerate out your big bodies. birthing pod is great here too. So many options. Pick a direction and let's go!

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/12.jpg)

I'm liking that skinshifter. Would it be better to make a two coloured deck like green/blue or green/white?
Since no one has mentioned this:

If a creature has both trample AND deathtouch, it will kill whatever blocks it and then trample over all but 1 damage to the opponent.

So if you give Force of Nature deathtouch, it will kill Wall of Stone and trample 7 damage over to the opponent.

Seems like since you like both abilities that should be your theme as they combo well together.
is a little more tricky than straight smashing face. is prob a little more straightforward. Gives you some good stuff like travel preparations. White gives you some removal options too like oblivion ring or path to exile. But if really just stomping your opponent into dust is your thing, mono green is the way to go. Splash a color only if the color you are currently in can't give you an effect or option you need. So if you need to, go for the or splash option, but only if need be

Are there any creatures that have deathtouch and trample or would you have to use an artifact like Vorrac Battlehorns to a creature like Greater Basilisk to make that happen?
Negative-u would have to use 2 cards to achieve that effect.

Trample is very workable with green; better than any other color by themselves. You've got a good selection of creatures with it and cards that can give it. Garruk's Companion is a very solid and not to mention cheap card. Skinshifter is also the same way AND its a great situational card. Last I checked theyre barely a dollar a piece. If you run some ramp cards like Birds of Paradise or cheaper Llanowar Elves then you can bust out a powerful Dungrove Elder. Hypothetically if you have atleast 2 of those ramps out and mana to play each turn that card gets +3/+3 every turn. Then to boost all your cards Overrun will give you the win.
Trample is very workable with green; better than any other color by themselves. You've got a good selection of creatures with it and cards that can give it. Garruk's Companion is a very solid and not to mention cheap card. Skinshifter is also the same way AND its a great situational card. Last I checked theyre barely a dollar a piece. If you run some ramp cards like Birds of Paradise or cheaper Llanowar Elves then you can bust out a powerful Dungrove Elder. Hypothetically if you have one of each of those ramps and mana in your hand that card gets +3 every turn. Then to boost all your cards Overrun will give you the win.

your interpretation of elder's ability is incorrect. for every Forest (not green mana) you control you get +1/+1. however, if you are gonna run creatures like that, Spearbreaker Behemoth is good. He especially works in a good power up deck with lots of lands for equipping and such. Him+ overrun in one turn= Almost unstoppable win con. also, using Arbor Elf to get more uses out of your forests might be a good idea, instead of Birds of Paradise. 
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Sign In to post comments