Pixie Charger Thief

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wanted to make a Pixie for a FRL Campiagn starting at level 5

I came up with this for a decent striker build with some comical RP effect.
Pixie charger
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Hayseed, level 5
Pixie, Rogue (Thief)
Burglar (+2 to Thievery)
Theme: Guttersnipe

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 10, DEX 21, INT 8, WIS 10, CHA 17

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 10, DEX 18, INT 8, WIS 10, CHA 14

AC: 20 Fort: 13 Ref: 20 Will: 16
HP: 42 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 10

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +12, Bluff +10, Intimidate +10, Perception +7, Stealth +15, Streetwise +10, Thievery +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +1, Athletics +2, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +2, Endurance +2, Heal +2, History +1, Insight +2, Nature +4, Religion +1

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Guttersnipe Attack: Running Slash
Pixie Utility: Pixie Dust
Pixie Utility: Shrink
Rogue Utility: Backstab
Rogue Utility: Unbalancing Trick
Rogue Utility: Escape Artist's Trick
Rogue Utility: Tactical Trick
Rogue Utility: Cunning Escape
Rogue Utility 2: Fleeting Ghost

FEATS
Level 1: Streak of Light
Level 2: Surprising Charge
Level 4: Light Blade Expertise

ITEMS
Gloaming Leather Armor +1 x1
Horned Helm (heroic tier) x1
Vanguard Short sword +1 x1
Badge of the Berserker +1 x1
Eternal Chalk
Adventurer's Kit
====== End ======

Main Idea is he always attacks by charging, Sense a charge is a Basic Melee attack he benifits from his tricks pretty much unbalancing Trick is his favorite Shift 2 Charge, hit knock prone.

Streak of Light/surprising Charge feat combo always benifits from Surpising charge. getting dice bonus from weapon and helm and sneak attack I believe he attacks for +16(13+2CA+1charge) hits for 5d6 +1d8+10 damage ((talk about fountains of bload for a tiny little pointer))

Can charge enemies even if sharing a space with him (shift 2 charge back)

would like some advice and leveling and maximizing this charge potential.

I think some  boots that negate falling would be helpful to utilizing charging to above altitude to knock down flying enemies.

I prefer doing this with hexblades, personally.  More well-rounded character and still high on the RP factor.

But yeah, the op for this is relatively straightforward.  You want Badge of the Berserker, Horned Helm, Vanguard Weapon, the +item bonus to MBA bracers that I'm blanking on the name of, oh yeah Bracers of Mighty Striking, that sort of thing.  You've got the core of the charge package, so you're pretty much good to go.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
I play this same build in LFR and it is a ton of fun. It is a bit hard to explain why a Pixie is adventuring, I've found, but it doesn't hurt RP that much if you're the sort who likes to go for bizarre stories. Mine is a Purple Dragon of Cormyr, after all. I think this is a better choice for them for a few reasons, but the main one is +1 to attack on MBAs after you activate the stance.

I'm at level 5 with mine. I'm trying to decide what hands to take. I think the following is a short list of good options.

Gloves of Eldritch Admixture - I know this looks odd, but it doesn't require you to be arcane or a warlock or anything to use the extra damage dice. Can make for a very nice daily nova or increase up to five seperate attacks throughout the day.
Strikebacks - Hitting the guy that hits you is always a good idea.
Gauntlets of Blood - Extra damage on bloodieds is good.
Gloves of Ice - If you go frost cheese.

I might be missing one or two, but I think those make for a nice little set of choices.

I'm also actually considering Underhanded Tactics and/or  Disheartening Ambushon my build as well. Sometimes you have too many dice to roll so it's nice to have something else to do with your Sneak Attack.

Feat Powerful Charge is another way to get some extra damage, though your build can't currently do that. Do you really need Cha 17? It's nice for skill checks, I admit.

Nimble Blade should probably be the next feat.

Nah, Backstabber. A charger thief more or less hits on a 2. Nimble Blade is utterly skippable for your entire career. And yes, Purple Dragon is ridiculously good for this buid.

Also, is the Gritty Sarge background available for use in LFR? You want a Rapier over your Shortsword ASAP.

Nah, Backstabber. A charger thief more or less hits on a 2. Nimble Blade is utterly skippable for your entire career. And yes, Purple Dragon is ridiculously good for this buid.

Also, is the Gritty Sarge background available for use in LFR? You want a Rapier over your Shortsword ASAP.

I didn't even notice he didn't have a Rapier.

Yes, you want a Rapier. Understand that this means no Auspicious Birth or Born Under a Bad Sign (though you have Burglar anyway) so your hit points will be fairly low. My Pixie has died multiple times in LFR (FYI, you probably won't care about that -1 to hit when dealing witha  death penalty if you are playing this in LFR.).

Puple Dragon is good not only for the +1 to hit (which again, could be skippable) but for the shift 1 after MBA, though this can lower the amount of off-turn attacks you get. Both benefits are good, though.

A word of advice, always be 1 square up. That way, if someone knocks you prone, you fall 1 square instead of falling prone and you can avoid flanking. Make sure that you tell people you are 1 up in case they are trying to flank with you (hopefully they won't care since your target will be prone anyway).
Doesnt pixie have an altitude limit of 1 on their fly, meaning that theyre pretty much ground bound?
Doesnt pixie have an altitude limit of 1 on their fly, meaning that theyre pretty much ground bound?

No, it means the square directly above the ground is the highest they can fly without falling at the end of their turn.

It means they fall if they end their turn above altitude one.  Altitude one is one square above ground level - ie, the square above normal characters' heads - still within melee reach, but difficult to flank/prone/etc.  See the rules compendium on flight.
ah cool, thanks for the clarification
So somehow fit Rapier probably just be easiest to use a feat to gain training with less controversy. Shortsword are more than enough constant damage at level 5, but yah upper levels eventually want to be throwing D8 and high crits.

Some notes about utilizing party Mechanics and Tiny size, for surviability.  With a tank and using Escape Artist Trick the fairy can charge through a fighter into the mobs square strike and shift back behind the fighter for cover. probably better if you have another party member who knocks down mobs

How does falling and damage work when ending a turn above altitude, do you fall and take damage or just decend to the ground. although with action points theres ways around this.....

one move I like to call Action point Dragon Grounder  say theres a dragon flying a nice 20 feat above everybody well this build has I pretty ruthless sulution.  Move unbalancing trick Standard action Charge the dragon Dragon gets hit and falls to the ground, Action Point charge the dragon again or something else as to avoid it cause you probaly pissed it off.

But if falling is a non issue for damage one could just charge the dragon and both you end up on the ground   Take that dragon grounded by a creature 1/100 of your size.  With this scenario being able to find ways to avoid getting attacked by the dragon is important as your a prime target of being swallowed whole even by a Medium sized one.....
So somehow fit Rapier probably just be easiest to use a feat to gain training with less controversy. Shortsword are more than enough constant damage at level 5, but yah upper levels eventually want to be throwing D8 and high crits.

Some notes about utilizing party Mechanics and Tiny size, for surviability.  With a tank and using Escape Artist Trick the fairy can charge through a fighter into the mobs square strike and shift back behind the fighter for cover. probably better if you have another party member who knocks down mobs

How does falling and damage work when ending a turn above altitude, do you fall and take damage or just decend to the ground. although with action points theres ways around this.....

one move I like to call Action point Dragon Grounder  say theres a dragon flying a nice 20 feat above everybody well this build has I pretty ruthless sulution.  Move unbalancing trick Standard action Charge the dragon Dragon gets hit and falls to the ground, Action Point charge the dragon again or something else as to avoid it cause you probaly pissed it off.

But if falling is a non issue for damage one could just charge the dragon and both you end up on the ground   Take that dragon grounded by a creature 1/100 of your size.  With this scenario being able to find ways to avoid getting attacked by the dragon is important as your a prime target of being swallowed whole even by a Medium sized one.....

If you are no more than your fly speed (6) above the ground, you descend and take no damage and are not proned.

Ah so no tricks just needed just charge the flying creature=grounded with the Pixie thief good placement can even make tanks without range viable in such fights.
Ah so no tricks just needed just charge the flying creature=grounded with the Pixie thief good placement can even make tanks without range viable in such fights.

Note that if you are above your fly speed, you descend your fly speed and then start falling as normal.
hopefully with a fast fly speed that really then becomes minute Butterfly sandals FTW.

What I'm hopeing to look like and strive for by the time he gets to Paragon Tier.

Pixie Master Thief Charger (Paragon
Hayseed, level 11
Pixie, Rogue (Thief), Master Thief
Burglar (+2 to Thievery)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 12, CON 11, DEX 23, INT 9, WIS 11, CHA 19

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

AC: 26 Fort: 21 Ref: 29 Will: 24
HP: 73 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 18

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +16, Bluff +14, Intimidate +14, Perception +10, Stealth +18, Streetwise +19, Thievery +18

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +4, Athletics +6, Diplomacy +9, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +5, Heal +5, History +4, Insight +5, Nature +7, Religion +4

POWERS
Rogue Utility: Acrobat's Trick
Rogue Utility 6: Swift Parry
Rogue Utility 10: Nimble Fingers

FEATS
Level 6: Weapon Proficiency (Rapier)
Level 8: Backstabber
Level 11: Weapon Focus (Light blade)
Level 11: Improved Defenses

ITEMS
Eternal Chalk
Adventurer's Kit
Muleback Harness (paragon tier) x1
Butterfly Sandals x1
Strikebacks x1
Badge of the Berserker +3 x1
Bracers of Mighty Striking (paragon tier) x1
Vanguard Rapier +3 x1
Marauder's Drowmesh +3 x1
====== End ======

Butterfly Sandals say themselves +2 to racial and powers It also adjust it on character sheet.

Muleback Harness, probably better belts but not worring about wieght as now he could carry a fully geared person and still fly 220lb before greater than normal and the current gear setup is like 45 lbs.

Level 10 would of picked up slaying Action, but then it pretty much replaced with the Masters thief action. so switched for some better NADs

Damage Dice at this point is getting out of hand Almost feal the DM hammer coming 6d8 + 1d6 + 20 damage every charge and a nova strike Back stab 6d8 + 3d6 + 20 damage another + 4d8 + 20 damage on the action strike. ((hmm need a way to shift after charge but before end of turn to use action to charge again.))
hopefully with a fast fly speed that really then becomes minute Butterfly sandals FTW.

What I'm hopeing to look like and strive for by the time he gets to Paragon Tier.

Pixie Master Thief Charger (Paragon
Hayseed, level 11
Pixie, Rogue (Thief), Master Thief
Burglar (+2 to Thievery)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 12, CON 11, DEX 23, INT 9, WIS 11, CHA 19

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

AC: 26 Fort: 21 Ref: 29 Will: 24
HP: 73 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 18

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +16, Bluff +14, Intimidate +14, Perception +10, Stealth +18, Streetwise +19, Thievery +18

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +4, Athletics +6, Diplomacy +9, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +5, Heal +5, History +4, Insight +5, Nature +7, Religion +4

POWERS
Rogue Utility: Acrobat's Trick
Rogue Utility 6: Swift Parry
Rogue Utility 10: Nimble Fingers

FEATS
Level 6: Weapon Proficiency (Rapier)
Level 8: Backstabber
Level 11: Weapon Focus (Light blade)
Level 11: Improved Defenses

ITEMS
Eternal Chalk
Adventurer's Kit
Muleback Harness (paragon tier) x1
Butterfly Sandals x1
Strikebacks x1
Badge of the Berserker +3 x1
Bracers of Mighty Striking (paragon tier) x1
Vanguard Rapier +3 x1
Marauder's Drowmesh +3 x1
====== End ======

Butterfly Sandals say themselves +2 to racial and powers It also adjust it on character sheet.

Muleback Harness, probably better belts but not worring about wieght as now he could carry a fully geared person and still fly 440 lb before heavy

Level 10 would of picked up slaying Action, but then it pretty much replaced with the Masters thief action. so switched for some better NADs

Damage Dice at this point is getting out of hand Almost feal the DM hammer coming 6d8 + 1d6 + 20 damage every charge and a nova strike Back stab 6d8 + 3d6 + 20 damage another + 4d8 + 20 damage on the action strike. ((hmm need a way to shift after charge but before end of turn to use action to charge again.))

The Purple Dragon theme power or the Boots of Adept Charging allow you to do this.
Hmm cant find Purple dragon under FR rules must be Ebberon.....   anyways found the Stormraider Theme and his granted power works perfectly for the nova Charge push away one then action charge into space.  And it totally RP makes sense Pixie Pirate Captian.
It's from Dragon 407, it's valid.  Hell, the full title is Purple Dragon of Cormyr. 
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
ah found it Character has to be Good to qualify it is an important RP note. 
I've got a pixie guide in my sig.

But your pretty much set. 

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I've got a pixie guide in my sig.

But your pretty much set. 

If you like your more than welcom to add him to the builds section, It probably will help back up why Thief is gold for Pixie.
I'm pretty daft (and newer to D&D) but what is the reasoning/differences in playing this as a thief vs. a scoundral?

Seems like you have more control and interesting choices in what to use as a scoundral while still being able to charge ad nausem- but I'm pretty sure I'm not grasping all the awesome charging/movement stuff I guess you should utilize as a thief.

if anyone can help enlighten me, I'd appreciate it!

I guess im asking why not roll a scoundral with purple dragon - use his stance to add 1 to shifts (and thus be able to shift 2 and charge like the thief tricks allow) and have a larger variety of attacks to choose from when necessary?