Spoilers - Making sure on timing of Miracle and multiple card draws?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
702.91a Miracle is a static ability linked to a triggered ability (see rule 603.10). "Miracle [cost]" means "You may reveal this card from your hand as you draw it if it's the first card you've drawn this turn. When you reveal this card this way, you may cast it by paying [cost] rather than its mana cost."

* Multiple card draws are always treated as a sequence of individual card draws. For example, if you haven't drawn any cards yet during a turn and cast a spell that instructs you to draw three cards, you'll draw them one at a time. Only the first card drawn this way may be revealed and cast using its miracle ability.

I just want to make sure that there isn't more to this than I think there is (going to help with some prerelease events and want to be able to explain the rules correctly).

Lets say that someone casts during their opponents turn by using Alchemist's Refuge.

I am assuming that the resolution should look something like this.

1) Draw first card of three cards and look at card.
2) If the card is a "miracle" card then immediately reveal the card if desired.  The miracle triggered ability does not go on the stack because there is no exchange of priority during the resolution of a spell (the Amass)
3) Draw second of three cards
4) Draw third of three cards
5) Put a card from hand on bottom of library and the  finishes resolving.
6) Players put triggered abilities on the stack in APNAP order and this is where the miracle trigger goes on the stack.
7) Assuming no other shenanagens on the stack (discard, counter triggered ability, etc.) the miracle triggered ability resolves and the player then casts the miracle spell (pays miracle costs and places it on the stack).
8) After appropriate exchange of priority and again assuming no shenanagens the miracle spell resolves.

The alternate scenarios that I could seen people trying to do (and incorrectly doing so I believe) would be to either...

Move #2) to follow after #5) thinking that the reveal wouldn't happen until after the Amass finishes resolving.  I believe this is incorrect because the reveal is a static ability that does not use the stack so it can happen during the resolution of another spell/ability.

Or Move #6-8) to follow after #2) thinking that the statement from the FAQ above means that because draw three cards is actually three individual draw one card events that somehow the entire miracle from static ability, triggered ability and spell resolution can happen before the Amass finishes resolving.  I believe this is incorrect because the miracle triggered ability cannot go on the stack until a player gets priority which is not until the Amass finishes resolving.
edit: I could see people arguing that somehow the statement about ignore normal timing rules for miracles would allow this.  But, that statement only says to ignore timing rules based on the card's type (sorcery etc.) not ignore all timing restrictions!
* You cast the card with miracle during the resolution of the triggered ability. Ignore any timing restrictions based on the card's type.

Please let me know if I have this correct and if I have the reasoning correct as well.

Thanks all,
You have 1-8 correct, provided that it's the first time you've drawn a card that turn.  Also just to add to #2, while the triggered ability doesn't go on the stack, the ability itself will trigger and wait to be put on the stack.

DCI Level 2 Judge

Rockford, Illinois

Looks correct to me too.
Except for this part:

7) Assuming no other shenanagens on the stack (discard, counter triggered ability, etc.) the miracle triggered ability resolves and the player then casts the miracle spell (pays miracle costs and places it on the stack).

It's the other way around. 
The first thing you do is place the card on the Stack. Then do the other things, like choosing targets and paying costs.

I really am nitpicking now. 
(you did say you wanna make sure...) 

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one thousand, people might notice;

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one million, I might get away with it;

If I wish to steal even more and still go unnoticed, I need to make the loot bigger.

Now you know why taxes always go up.

Looting: ''the plundering of public assets by corrupt or greedy authorities'' (Wikipedia)

You have 1-8 correct, provided that it's the first time you've drawn a card that turn.  Also just to add to #2, while the triggered ability doesn't go on the stack, the ability itself will trigger and wait to be put on the stack.

Thanks for the reminder.  I know of a couple of circumstances where it is critical to know when the abilty triggered so I will definitely keep it in mind.
Looks correct to me too.
Except for this part:

It's the other way around. 
The first thing you do is place the card on the Stack. Then do the other things, like choosing targets and paying costs.

I really am nitpicking now. 
(you did say you wanna make sure...) 

I did want nitpicking.  Sometimes it is a simple mistatement of a basic sequence order that throws everything out of whack.  Thanks for the reminder as well.
Note that you're allowed to put the revealed miracle card on the bottom of your library during the Amass the components because it still is in your hand.

You won't be able to cast it of course but you may have better cards drawn after it.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

Sorry but I'm a bit new to this and think i understand but want to be sure before attending the pre release, so was hoping you could clarify for me please.
In a scenario where i have civilized scholar on the battlefield and no cards in hand, can i use civilized scholar to draw a card, reveal it as temporal mastery, and play it for it's miracle cost, even though this does not leave me with a card to discard?  
No.

When you draw the miracle, you can reveal it if you want. However, you then have to finish resolving Civilized Scholar's ability, and discard a card. Only after civilized scholar's ability has finished resolving in its entirety will the Miracle trigger get put on the stack, which won't be very useful if you've already discarded it.
Sorry but I'm a bit new to this and think i understand but want to be sure before attending the pre release, so was hoping you could clarify for me please.
In a scenario where i have civilized scholar on the battlefield and no cards in hand, can i use civilized scholar to draw a card, reveal it as temporal mastery, and play it for it's miracle cost, even though this does not leave me with a card to discard?  

As cyphern said, this doesnt work.

If drawing a card was the cost of the ability, then you could respond to the ability by using the card you just drew, before the ability tries to resolve and make you discard that card. But it isnt. ;)

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)