Mounted Fey Charger - Help me make it better

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys, I've always wanted to get a good Eladrin Knight character that was unique and with an arcane quality about him. I think I've finally did it.

When charging with Combat Advantage on a Mount I can teleport my mount and I, and I'm +21 to hit and do 3d10 + 1d8 + 1d6 +19 damage (not including temporary or conditional bonus like gauntlets of blood or stances, but does include the damage granted from charging with the obsidian steed)

No pentalties for squeezing and can shift one after a charge.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Gaelwyn Floshin, level 12
Llewyrr Elf, Fighter (Knight), Eldritch Knight
Knight Option: Shield Finesse
Knight Weapon Specialization Option: Bladed Step
Iliyanbruen Guardian (Arcana class skill)
Theme: Hordelands Nomad

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 16, DEX 17, INT 22, WIS 10, CHA 12

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 13, DEX 14, INT 17, WIS 9, CHA 11

AC: 31 Fort: 25 Ref: 28 Will: 22
HP: 97 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 24

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +19, Athletics +9, Endurance +12, Religion +17

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +7, Bluff +7, Diplomacy +7, Dungeoneering +6, Heal +6, History +14, Insight +6, Intimidate +7, Nature +8, Perception +6, Stealth +7, Streetwise +7, Thievery +7

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Eladrin Racial Power: Fey Step
Fighter Attack: Battle Guardian
Multiple Class Utility: Defender Aura
Fighter Attack: Glimmering Blade
Fighter Utility: Cleaving Assault
Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike
Fighter Utility: Defend the Line
Fighter Utility 2: Battle Fury Stance
Wizard Attack 3: Fire Shroud
Fighter Utility 6: Ignore Weakness
Fighter Utility 8: Shield Block
Fighter Utility 10: Clearheaded
Eldritch Knight Utility 12: Eldritch Leap

FEATS
Mounted Combat
Shield Finesse
Level 2: Blade Initiate
Level 2: Intelligent Blademaster
Level 4: Eladrin Soldier
Level 6: Spear Expertise
Level 10: Improved Defenses
Level 11: Fey Charge
Level 12: Surprising Charge
Level 12: Cunning Stalker

ITEMS
Vanguard Lance +3 x1
Hero's Plate Armor +3 x1
Heavy Shield x1
Cloak of Translocation +2 x1
Horned Helm (heroic tier) x1
Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier) x1
Obsidian Steed
Jade Horse
Contortionist's Cord x1
Boots of Adept Charging x1
Gauntlets of Blood (heroic tier) x1
Magic Lance +1
====== End ======
OK, its not immediately leaping out at me, how are you teleporting with your mount?
guessing Iliyanbruen Guardian to convey an ally along with self.

INSIDE SCOOP, GAMERS: In the new version of D&D, it will no longer be "Edition Wars." It will be "Edition Lair Assault." - dungeonbastard

Ah, didn't think to check the theme. I guess as long as your mount occupies two squares it can be in a square adjacent to you while you are still mounted.
The 11th level feature of the Eldritch Knight allows you to bring one willing creature with you when you teleport with your defender aura active. The creature is teleported to a space adjacent to you.

This was how most were using Charm of the Defender when buiding Eldritch Knights. Interesting enough, I don't think it works with Charm of the Defender. Its states it has to be a willing creature. I don't believe charmed creatures are willing creatures. It doesn't matter though because mounts are. The next question that comes up is whether or not an Obsidian Steed and a Jade Horse are creatures.
Slight potential wrinkle in teleporting while mounted: it doesn't explicitly work. While it is a reasonable assumption/houserule, the RAW seems to suggest otherwise.

Since you and your mount are being teleported as specific individuals (and not a single unit), you are each teleported into the destination square seperately. This means when you arrive, you are no longer mounted. And since the only method of mounting is to take the 'mount' move action, you cannot just teleport into your mounts square and 'land' back in the saddle.
You're missing your Level 8 Feat.

EDIT: Never mind. For some reason, you have two Level 12 feats, but one of them (Cunning Stalker) is actually available at Level 8.
You're missing your Level 8 Feat.

EDIT: Never mind. For some reason, you have two Level 12 feats, but one of them (Cunning Stalker) is actually available at Level 8.

Probably retraining
The feat issue was because of retraining.

The mount issue is really a non-issue in my opinion. Any DM that is going to use that against me is just being mean. I wouldn't hold that against anyone. I do see your point though, but here's my argument to that.

I'm the one charging. I'm mounted when I teleport. I'm charging when I teleport. I appear next to the target and still get my bonuses from being mounted and having combat advantage (I was mounted when I initiated the charge) I appear one square up, and the mount appears below me. If the DM wants to have me fall down after the charge, I guess he can. I should still get all the bonuses though.
Cunning stalker doesn't work while mounted ever.
That's right! I heard there is an item that gives you combat adv after a teleport. Does anyone know what it is?
I hear the argument as to why it is illegal. I disagree that it is plainly illegal. I also say the argument is questionable. Also, given all the recent post about DM empowerment I would say it is a DM call even in an LFR environment.
Those are rules for forced movement. Those rules are for if you are teleported by forced movement. They are there to be clear about the fact that you can take your mount with you when you are forced to move except when by teleportation. The part about the mount being teleported means if it is teleported out from under you. Those rules, in my opinion, do not address this situation.

I'm telporting myself and taking one ally with me. My mount is my ally. The opject of the teleportation arrives at a square adjacent to me. Under me is adjacent to me.
Teleporting an ally is still forced movement, just like pushing/pulling/sliding them would be.
Actually only Pushes, Pulls and Slides are truly considered forced movement.

Forced Movement

Movement that a creature is compelled to do, specifically a pull, a push, or a slide. A creature can be moved in other ways, such as through teleportation, but only pulls, pushes, and slides are technically forced movement.

Like I said, its a reasonable homegame idea. But its not RAW. Definitely don't take it to a LFR type event, cause you will be very disappointed (there is absolutely /no/ DM empowerment, as you call it, in LFR).
Ok, I posted it to get feed back. I got it. I wasn't trying to brag or bost about the build. I will check the book and see for myself on the ruling.

I'm not a hundred percent sure, but I'm pretty sure that teleportation is forced movement. It didn't use to be, but I believe it was later errated. I will check.

LFR does allow for DM Interpretation when the rules don't address the situation. That is why you have a DM. I will investigate erachima's argument and get back. I know most of the DM's in my area which is pretty big, and I don't believe they would disallow in an LFR environment.

I'm no novice to this. I DM LFR games all the time for many different people. I've also seen many questional builds out there. I believe in RAI. Its what's intended that counts. Typos and errors happen all the time. You go by want they were trying to do.

I'll get back you ya

I'm not a hundred percent sure, but I'm pretty sure that teleportation is forced movement. It didn't use to be, but I believe it was later errated. I will check.

Page 211 in the RC section on Forced Movement specifically excludes teleportation. There have been no updates to the RC so it is the most recent source.  
Ok, I couldn't find the errata for teleporation, but it doesn't matter for this build.

The mounted combat rules state. Quote "Teleportation: If either the mount or the rider is teleported, the other does not teleport with it. If the mount is teleported without the rider, the rider is dismounted and falls prone."

I see the argument here. This is mine. This rule is addressing the issue of what happens to the rider or the mount if one or the other is teleported. The rule that allows me to do this came after this entry and was not addressed here. I am teleporting, to a space one square up next to my target. I was mounted and charging when I did this, so I should get all the effects that betstows. I arrive at my desitnation one square up. My horse is a willing creature (therefore not forced) who is teleported under me next to the target.

Now according to these rules if taken by raw in an extreme fashion. I would be prone after the telportation. I argue that because of the instantanious affect and the fact that the horse is right below me, I land on the saddle. This is a small interpretation issue that requires DM judgement. I have seen much worse abusive use of the rules in LFR games.
You have a very demanding and bossy way about you that I don't like. You need to cool it. This is a discussion of the interpretation. Mine is not the same as yours. Yours is not absolute. This disussion was very friendly until you entered it. If you can't handle the debate without making demands that others follow your will, please leave the discussion.
Obviously, this thread is dying. I was looking for someone who help me add more damage or make the character more versitile that just charging, but it got focused on the rules clarification. Thanks to those who contributed.

I'm out.
The 11th level feature of the Eldritch Knight allows you to bring one willing creature with you when you teleport with your defender aura active. The creature is teleported to a space adjacent to you.

This was how most were using Charm of the Defender when buiding Eldritch Knights. Interesting enough, I don't think it works with Charm of the Defender. Its states it has to be a willing creature. I don't believe charmed creatures are willing creatures.

People actually did that? That's both hilarious and pathetic.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.

This was how most were using Charm of the Defender when buiding Eldritch Knights. Interesting enough, I don't think it works with Charm of the Defender. Its states it has to be a willing creature. I don't believe charmed creatures are willing creatures.

People actually did that? That's both hilarious and pathetic.

I only charm things so I can mount them, seems like a perfectly normal Friday night to me...
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here