Monte Cook Drop Out

A bit surprised....I wonder who will become the next Lead Designer for D&D Next.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

montecook.livejournal.com/251404.html

Change of Plans

• Apr. 25th, 2012 at 12:30 PM
    Happy Monte

Change of Plans
Last week I decided that I would leave my contract position with Wizards of the Coast. I am no longer working on Dungeons & Dragons, although I may provide occasional consultation in the future. My decision is one based on differences of opinion with the company. However, I want to take this time to stress that my differences were not with my fellow designers, Rob Schwalb and Bruce Cordell. I enjoyed every moment of working with them over the past year. I have faith that they'll create a fun game. I'm rooting for them.
Due to my non-disclosure agreement, as well as a desire to keep things on a professional level, I have no intention of going into further detail at this time. (Mostly, I just hate drama, and would rather talk about more interesting things.)
As for what I'll be turning to next, I hope you'll stay tuned. I plan on having an interesting announcement in that regard in the near future.

The likelihood I'll like 5e plummeted.  Good luck Monte.

Edit: It would be nice if WOTC would tell us what the issues were. 

My Blog which includes my Hobby Award Winning articles.

I'm actually relieved.  No disrespect; Monte is a skilled game designer.  I can't help but wonder however, if some of his wonderfully creative ideas might be too fringe for DDN (a game that will apparently be back-to-basics).  Malhavoc was a better place for those kind of ideas I think.  His ideas, for me, are hit-n-miss.

No doubt Monte would have 'toned' things down for a core D&D game.  He was still the lead designer for DDN though.  That's a biggie.  So, I'm relieved that he's out.  He is a skilled designer but DDN isn't the game for him to take the lead on.  Not in my opinion at least.

I'm as anxious as ever to see what's in store for DDN.  The difference now is, I can also look forward to what Monte has planned in the future (other than D&D).

Just to be clear:  Hopefully I'm not coming across as a jerk.  That's not my intent. 
/\ Art
That's shocking.
I am pretty sure it will be a long time before we learn the reasons if ever.

So what does this mean for DnDNext? Is the plan still on track or is something going to change?
That... sucked...

This will probably have an effect on 5th... Losing a great game designer can't be good news.

My guess considering the parts involved is that it was a dispute between artistic values and economic values...

I hate seeing the business side win in such a dispute.

The Character Initiative

Every time you abuse the system you enforce limitations.
Every time the system is limited we lose options.
Breaking an RPG is like cheating in a computer game.
As a DM you are the punkbuster of your table.
Dare to say no to abusers.
Make players build characters, not characters out of builds.

hmm too late to be an april fools joke

i guess you saved them time from firing u at xmas

but seriously wow, he was the lead designer on this

My worry is that Monte wanted to take the extra time and work with the guys to truely make a great game, and WOTC or Hasbro or somebody freaked at estimated compeletion time and started pressure to finished what, with what they're attempting, probably shouldn't be rushed. 

I mean there are other possibilities, that's just one of the worse ones. 

Honestly I liked the concept of Monte being lead. I've liked some of the stuff he's done and the flak he's gotten. People dislike you when you've made mistakes, but sometimes those lessons can lead to some real creativity. Hopeful thinking, I know, but it would have been nice to see what more he could have brought with his continued discourse with the others.

EDIT:
Worth noting, I have great faith in them too, and I'm sure they'll make a great game, just stating why I wish Monte could have stuck around. 
I presume Cooke told Leeds it wouldn't be ready by Christmas, and Leeds did not agree.
I told you guys that Mearls was the 4e guardian.  

I appreciate that Monte won't put his name on something he doesn't respect.  That's why I had such hope. 

I appreciate that Monte won't put his name on something he doesn't respect.  That's why I had such hope. 

Can you point out where he says he doesn't respect the direction 5e is going?  I can't seem to find it in the link provided.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

In the news article, Mearls says "No one voice can rise above the others, unless it is the voice of D&D fans as a whole".  That, in my mind, might indicate some tension among the design team.  One of the responsibilities of a team leader (like say Monte) would be to make the cacophony of voices more harmonious.

Initially at least, that one voice is gonna resemble the team leader's own.  Starting out, he's responsible for setting the direction.  Only after the public playtests can the voices of D&D fans as a whole be accounted for.  Until we've actually playtested, we really have little to add-- aside from a lot of speculation ;).

So, I'm thinking they jumped the gun just a bit here.  It has me wondering:  How much of the 20% playtest is Monte responsible for?  What if the ideas he worked on and contributed turn out to be popular?  What if they're carried forward into the final game?  That could happen.  So, maybe they wiped that part of the slate clean?  Gotta avoid distasteful probabilities, even if they are remote, eh? 

Just some rambling thoughts. 
/\ Art

Can you point out where he says he doesn't respect the direction 5e is going?  I can't seem to find it in the link provided.

I don't know why Monte left.  But I now do not have the assurance that 5e is something that Monte would put his name on.  So I have less assurance.  

(Content removed)

(ORC_Chaos: Edited-Edition Warring is against the Code of Conduct)

Didn't you hear? Monte left 5e's design team.

Yeah.  I heard.  He also said it was over differences with "the company."  A lot of people are jumping to the conclusion that differences with the company means differences with the direction of the product.  The term "creative differences" would have been much more accurate if this was the case.  Since he was specific about them being differences with the company, I'm inclined to believe it means a contractual dispute or a difference of opinion about the OGL/GSL being considered for DDN.

A lot of people are also chicken little-ing this whole thing or ragequitting over undefined differences.  The whole thing reminds me of the edition war during the 3e to 4e edition change.  It's rather disgusting, but I figured that an edition war would rear its ugly head again.  It looks like this is going to be the thing that starts it.  I hope I'm wrong.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Save the breasts.

i think he doesnt agree with the speed at wich they are doing things, i mean the last thing i heard they where 20% done with the game, just how much of that and how much they put in that hasnt been much looked over is what bothers me. Afterall wizards has had a history of rushing product development and doing things to soon(im talking about 4th adition, although i like it and enjoy it as much as 3.5 edition i still feel that they could of waited a bit longer to not alienate fans).
I definitely went from auto-buying the initial books (for collector and nostalgia's sake) to saying - "You know if this is a steaming pile of crap I'm not going to buy it.  I'm not going to keep pouring money into WOTC coffers for poor performance.  I have to vote this time for real.  I'm not going to be their patsy."

I will download the playtest.  But I'm a very concerned shopper at this point. 

I don't know why Monte left.  But I now do not have the assurance that 5e is something that Monte would put his name on.  So I have less assurance.  

I already know that Mearls will put his name on something poor.  It's called 4e.  I thought that at least in his own mind he had recanted once he'd played the game long enough which is kinda where I came from.  I was gung ho at launch but I then played the game for a year.  I came to hate it.  I though didn't have the benefit of playtest which Mearls did.

I get that Monte's leadership encouraged you; it didn't encourage me, but I haven't followed Monte's career.  I also get that you're discouraged now that he's left.  The only hope I can offer you is a quote from Monte himself, "I may provide occasional consultation in the future."  I don't think, if he is as honorable as you claim he is, that he would have made that statement if he disagreed with the direction of DDN so much that it prompted him to quit.

As for Mearls, again, I haven't followed his career either.  You say that he will put his name on something poor, and you cite 4e.  I'm not going to argue whether 4e was good or bad, that's just opinion on both our parts.  I do think 4e had some good stuff in it.  I want the next iteration of the game to be better than the last (which has been my experience with D&D thus far, going from AD&D 2e to 3e and then to 4e), and I want them to keep the good stuff from each edition.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Save the breasts.

Interesting.  Surprising, given the effort it must have taken to get him on board in the first place.

Reading comprehension note:  Monte went out of his way to indicate that his disagreement wasn't with the other designers.  Don't read too much into this.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
@MechaPilot

Here's my take

1.  Monte practically divorced his wife to work on D&D 5e (I'm sure it's more than that but the geography strain is part of it I think).  It's not about money.  
2.  Monte is a class act and he won't badmouth his former employer.  My gosh the guy wouldn't even badmouth 4e other than to say it just wasn't his style of game.  He really is a mild mannered nice guy.  Which is why it really torks me when people here claim he is this power mad egomaniac.  
3.  My theory is they hit one of Monte's deal breakers.  I don't know what that is but they crossed that line.  That is my theory.  It is a theory.  I don't absolutely agree with Monte on everything so obviously it might not be a dealbreaker for me but I wouldn't want to bet on that. 

@MechaPilot

Here's my take

1.  Monte practically divorced his wife to work on D&D 5e (I'm sure it's more than that but the geography strain is part of it I think).  It's not about money.  
2.  Monte is a class act and he won't badmouth his former employer.  My gosh the guy wouldn't even badmouth 4e other than to say it just wasn't his style of game.  He really is a mild mannered nice guy.  Which is why it really torks me when people here claim he is this power mad egomaniac.  
3.  My theory is they hit one of Monte's deal breakers.  I don't know what that is but they crossed that line.  That is my theory.  It is a theory.  I don't absolutely agree with Monte on everything so obviously it might not be a dealbreaker for me but I wouldn't want to bet on that.

Ok.  I get that.  Just a small question though.

This is what Monte actually said:
Last week I decided that I would leave my contract position with Wizards of the Coast. I am no longer working on Dungeons & Dragons, although I may provide occasional consultation in the future. My decision is one based on differences of opinion with the company. However, I want to take this time to stress that my differences were not with my fellow designers, Rob Schwalb and Bruce Cordell. I enjoyed every moment of working with them over the past year. I have faith that they'll create a fun game. I'm rooting for them.

Would it have been "badmouthing a former employer" if he had said this instead:
Last week I decided that I would leave my contract position with Wizards of the Coast. I am no longer working on Dungeons & Dragons, although I may provide occasional consultation in the future. My decision is one based on creative differences. However, I want to take this time to stress that my differences were not with my fellow designers, Rob Schwalb and Bruce Cordell. I enjoyed every moment of working with them over the past year. I have faith that they'll create a fun game. I'm rooting for them.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Save the breasts.

Last week I decided that I would leave my contract position with Wizards of the Coast. I am no longer working on Dungeons & Dragons, although I may provide occasional consultation in the future. My decision is one based on creative differences. However, I want to take this time to stress that my differences were not with my fellow designers, Rob Schwalb and Bruce Cordell. I enjoyed every moment of working with them over the past year. I have faith that they'll create a fun game. I'm rooting for them.

No.  But the first paragraph could mean exactly the same thing.  It would have been more harmful to WOTC if he had put out the second paragraph.  He would have rallied the anti-4e crew against D&D5e (more so than we already are).  He's just not a spiteful evil guy.  That doesn't mean he didn't have creative differences.   I can't imagine anything but those kinds of differences getting him to leave.  I can't imagine it being pay, vacation, even release schedule or OGL.  Honestly none of those are essential to the game.  He could still be part of producing a great game regardless of those other things.  He might have an opinion but I don't see him giving up on D&D for those things.  

Also he didn't mention everyone.  And the people he didn't mention are in my opinion those most likely defending 4e.  I also think Mearls response is somewhat indicative.  Monte can't always have his way.  I agree but Monte isn't going to put his name on something he thinks is bad so they parted.  Good luck with that.   They hit one of his dealbreakers.

Also he didn't mention everyone.  And the people he didn't mention are in my opinion those most likely defending 4e.  I also think Mearls response is somewhat indicative.  Monte can't always have his way.  I agree but Monte isn't going to put his name on something he thinks is bad so they parted.  Good luck with that.   They hit one of his dealbreakers.

He also didn't say that he left so he could live a robust life before Dec 21, 2012 hit and the world exploded.  I know a certain amount of reading-between-the-lines is required in this world, but jumping to a worst-case scenario based on the ommission of Mearls' name from his comment seems a little like overdoing it to me.  There are certainly other reasons why he might have ommitted him.  Maybe Monte just doesn't like Mearls (in the sense of personality conflict).  If he is the kind of guy you say he is, then he may well ascribe to the old addage of "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

Ultimately, it still comes down to a "wait-and-see" for the quality of the final product.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Save the breasts.

He also didn't say that he left so he could live a robust life before Dec 21, 2012 hit and the world exploded.  I know a certain amount of reading-between-the-lines is required in this world, but jumping to a worst-case scenario based on the ommission of Mearls' name from his comment seems a little like overdoing it to me.  There are certainly other reasons why he might have ommitted him.  Maybe Monte just doesn't like Mearls (in the sense of personality conflict).  If he is the kind of guy you say he is, then he may well ascribe to the old addage of "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

Ultimately, it still comes down to a "wait-and-see" for the quality of the final product.

To put it in D&D terms.   Monte gave 5e a charisma based circumstantial bonus of +4.  Him leaving after having came, moves it to a -2 penalty.  But even given all that they still get to roll their d20.

I've just decided I'm not buying a slightly refactored version of 4e.  I'm sure some here would love that.  And they should buy it if that is what they like.   I don't see though many people who left D&D coming back to a game that is only slightly different than the one they left.

My problem is that I don't really love Pathfinder either.  I wish I did I'd just go there and not look back.  Maybe Pathfinder 2e will be what I am looking for.

To put it in D&D terms.   Monte gave 5e a charisma based circumstantial bonus of +4.  Him leaving after having came, moves it to a -2 penalty.  But even given all that they still get to roll their d20.

I've just decided I'm not buying a slightly refactored version of 4e.  I'm sure some here would love that.  And they should buy it if that is what they like.   I don't see though many people who left D&D coming back to a game that is only slightly different than the one they left.

I don't really think that's what we're going to end up with in DDN.  As I said before though, it remains a wait-and-see situation for all of us.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Save the breasts.

No.  But the first paragraph could mean exactly the same thing.  It would have been more harmful to WOTC if he had put out the second paragraph.  He would have rallied the anti-4e crew against D&D5e (more so than we already are).  He's just not a spiteful evil guy.  That doesn't mean he didn't have creative differences.   I can't imagine anything but those kinds of differences getting him to leave.  I can't imagine it being pay, vacation, even release schedule or OGL.  Honestly none of those are essential to the game.  He could still be part of producing a great game regardless of those other things.  He might have an opinion but I don't see him giving up on D&D for those things.  

Dude is it possible that he just wanted to keep his updates coming on his blog and quickly wrote something on what might be an emotional day for him, and that Rob Schwalb and Bruce Cordell were just the two guys on the team that he worked with the most.  I know at my job there are people on the teams I work on that I hardly even know the name of and I'm a mutant that always remembers names.  Depending upon the light you shine on it it's either an clandestined coded message or just a guy talkin to the two guys he always hung out with at work.
If 5e is anything like 4e, I won't be purchasing it.

I doubt that will be the case, but I have enough 4e material to be able to play that game for the next 10 years at least should I so choose to do so.
"If it's not a conjuration, how did the wizard con·jure/ˈkänjər/Verb 1. Make (something) appear unexpectedly or seemingly from nowhere as if by magic. it?" -anon "Why don't you read fire·ball / fī(-ə)r-ˌbȯl/ and see if you can find the key word con.jure /'kən-ˈju̇r/ anywhere in it." -Maxperson

Obviously it's all pure speculation why Monte left. I doubt it was because of some particular aspect of the playtest version of the game, though. (It's not like he said "You're including healing surges? I quit!!") And it doesn't sound like Monte is burning his bridges, he even specifically said he might do some consulting with WotC on the game down the line.

I did notice that Mike Mearls responded to both Monte leaving and the May 24th playtest in the same article, so it's not a stretch to imagine that corporate told Monte they need the playtest moved up to May 24th, Monte said that's not enough time or that it's too soon, they argued and he quit. Or maybe they are just pushing the development schedule way up overall and he didn't support it. Or it could the playtest date announcement and Monte leaving might be pure coincidence, who knows?

Ah well, I'm sure Monte will be fine either way. I'll certainly be curious to read what happened six months or a year from now he ever reveals more information about why he left. 

Also in product development, I'm frequently signing NDAs and do-not-compete style docs.

I sometimes leave projects for creative differences sometimes for reorganization and once for another job. But simply because I leave doesn't mean I don't endorse what I was working on.

Further, I wouldnt want to burn bridges (classy guy or not) because it expos could expose me to litigation.

So let's just thank Monte for the hard work, look forward to his next awesome campaign setting, rock the 5/24 playtest, and quit whining or speculating like church ladies.
Honestly my reading of things from the start was he was never gung-ho on the whole job. There was rumor, rumor, rumor, and finally he says he's 'consulting' with Mike on his column, and then maybe rumor, rumor he's going to consult on designing the game, and then finally he's "on the team". Didn't sound to me like he really lept at the chance to start with, for whatever reasons. They finally tempted him to give it a try. Things weren't that exciting, he's going on to other stuff, no hard feelings guys.

Now, that could be over a lot of things. Maybe he asked for a lot of money since he wasn't that hot on doing it to start with, maybe its personal stuff, maybe its creative, or personalities, or 100 things. Maybe its no one thing. Most of the time in the real world simple answers for these things are wrong or too limited.
That is not dead which may eternal lie
Also in product development, I'm frequently signing NDAs and do-not-compete style docs. I sometimes leave projects for creative differences sometimes for reorganization and once for another job. But simply because I leave doesn't mean I don't endorse what I was working on. Further, I wouldnt want to burn bridges (classy guy or not) because it expos could expose me to litigation. So let's just thank Monte for the hard work, look forward to his next awesome campaign setting, rock the 5/24 playtest, and quit whining or speculating like church ladies.

I agree. Everybody should just calm the heck down!

Lets see the playtest and then argue and cry (or not).

A developer has left, for whatever reason. Baseless accusations and speculation is pointless and will only wind you up.

Maybe 5e was too much like 4e for Monte or maybe it wasn't enough like 4e, maybe Flame the Dragon will be pink in the next edition and Monte won't stand for pink dragons, maybe some non-design considerations with the game caused him to quit (only released in collectable card format with added electronic content accessed through barcodes and all dice will be d30s), maybe Monte had a problem with some part of Hasbro completely unrelated to the design of 5e, maybe Monte has a cool side project and WotC made him choose and he chose the one most exciting to him. Who knows? Frankly who cares? Let's just wish the chap only the very best in future endevours and hold our guns until we see the 5e playtest.
Monte has to be very careful about what he says.  He can't rock the boat or say anything that could be disparaging about D&DN.  His words at this point can have a negative impact on D&DN sales.  If I were him I would be very careful about saying anything that could result in a lawsuit (I aslo assume that his contract will have limitations on what he can say upon leaving the company).

He didn't mention Mike Mearls.  It is rather a large oversight not to mention your boss... not something most people would forget about. 

TBH I wonder how long this has been coming.  it seemed odd to me when Mike Mearls took Legends & Lore back.  His explanation seemed a little... off to me.  But then I'm a cynical person.  

He didn't mention Mike Mearls.  It is rather a large oversight not to mention your boss... not something most people would forget about. 

Bruce and Mike have known each other since 8th grade and were for a period while at TSR housemates. It may be that he mentioned Rob for similar reasons.

Who knows?

We may all be reading way too much into this.

Dude is it possible that he just wanted to keep his updates coming on his blog and quickly wrote something on what might be an emotional day for him, and that Rob Schwalb and Bruce Cordell were just the two guys on the team that he worked with the most.  I know at my job there are people on the teams I work on that I hardly even know the name of and I'm a mutant that always remembers names.  Depending upon the light you shine on it it's either an clandestined coded message or just a guy talkin to the two guys he always hung out with at work.

montecook.livejournal.com/251693.html

boom looks like I was right.

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />This is what Monte actually said:
Last week I decided that I would leave my contract position with Wizards of the Coast. I am no longer working on Dungeons & Dragons, although I may provide occasional consultation in the future. My decision is one based on differences of opinion with the company. However, I want to take this time to stress that my differences were not with my fellow designers, Rob Schwalb and Bruce Cordell. I enjoyed every moment of working with them over the past year. I have faith that they'll create a fun game. I'm rooting for them...."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true">

Dude ... Rob Schwalb and Bruce Cordell were just the two guys on the team that he worked with the most.

montecook.livejournal.com/251693.html
boom looks like I was right.

So - 
a) Monte dosn't have a Secret Feud (tm) with Mike Mearls.
b) Monte has faith in the 5e design team.

Darn! What will we pointlessly whip ourselves up into a frenzy of pointless speculation about now?

Quick - somebody, invent a rumor!

Ooh - I know! Monte didn't sit next to Wolfgang Baur at Norwescon so obviously they are feuding over something and Wolfgang is being boughtn in to replace Monte because Monte disagreed with The Man telling him that all the optional rules had to be designed fit on 1" square cardstock. Ogre Whiteside is being bought on to do all the art, I know that based on the fact that nobody has mentioned that he isn't so it must be true reading between the lines. Erm... Phil Brucato is coming in to redesign all elves as blood-drinking were-hedgehogs. Healing Surges to be collectable in packs of random minis. All dice must be color-coded to the attribute they are being rolled for. There will be 8 attributes (Perception and Cumliness are making a comeback). All distances to be measured in hexes. A free monkey with every purchase!

Commence the frothing!
The most sensible idea I've heard about this is too much pressure from Hasbro. Pressure on creativity ("No you won't do that because it goes against our marketing strategy"), pressure on deadlines ("This should be ready by September!"), pressure on content too ("This content is too mature for our target audience, the game should be played by my kids!"). Pressure on content distribution within the releases, sort of like "only the four core classes and nothing else on launch, we launch this september, spare the rest for later supplements".

The other sensible idea is that Monte is too nice to say that he had issues with his coworkers. It happens. 
Are you interested in an online 4E game on Sunday? Contact me with a PM!
Show
Reflavoring: the change of flavor without changing any mechanical part of the game, no matter how small, in order to fit the mechanics to an otherwise unsupported concept. Retexturing: the change of flavor (with at most minor mechanical adaptations) in order to effortlessly create support for a concept without inventing anything new. Houseruling: the change, either minor or major, of the mechanics in order to better reflect a certain aspect of the game, including adapting the rules to fit an otherwise unsupported concept. Homebrewing: the complete invention of something new that fits within the system in order to reflect an unsupported concept.
Ideas for 5E
I´m sorry but I think I should say it´s a bad sign for me. I wish the best one for the next D&D but WotC ought be careful. The public beta will be 24th May..Will it not? The fans will not have mercy if they don´t like the game, and they will not doubt to say the reason.

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

Monte didn't sit next to Wolfgang Baur at Norwescon so obviously they are feuding over something and Wolfgang is being boughtn in to replace Monte because Monte disagreed with The Man telling him that all the optional rules had to be designed fit on 1" square cardstock. Ogre Whiteside is being bought on to do all the art, I know that based on the fact that nobody has mentioned that he isn't so it must be true reading between the lines. Erm... Phil Brucato is coming in to redesign all elves as blood-drinking were-hedgehogs. Healing Surges to be collectable in packs of random minis. All dice must be color-coded to the attribute they are being rolled for. There will be 8 attributes (Perception and Cumliness are making a comeback). All distances to be measured in hexes. A free monkey with every purchase!

Woot!  I hope there are elves in the playtest! Can I take the Extra Spiky elven racial feat?

Gomez
Monte didn't sit next to Wolfgang Baur at Norwescon so obviously they are feuding over something and Wolfgang is being boughtn in to replace Monte because Monte disagreed with The Man telling him that all the optional rules had to be designed fit on 1" square cardstock. Ogre Whiteside is being bought on to do all the art, I know that based on the fact that nobody has mentioned that he isn't so it must be true reading between the lines. Erm... Phil Brucato is coming in to redesign all elves as blood-drinking were-hedgehogs. Healing Surges to be collectable in packs of random minis. All dice must be color-coded to the attribute they are being rolled for. There will be 8 attributes (Perception and Cumliness are making a comeback). All distances to be measured in hexes. A free monkey with every purchase!

Woot!  I hope there are elves in the playtest! Can I take the Extra Spiky elven racial feat?

Gomez

I hear it is only available if you multiclass into were-owl because a friend of a friend was at a playtest and saw an owl mini. It is therefore obvious that David Bowie will be recording the voices on a CD where the racial feats will be read aloud between King Crimson tracks - the only way to get racial feats in 5e now that Mr Baur is in charge! Also Monte Cook was just a marketing ploy, he never actually existed and the reason he 'left' is that the actor who plays him has been offered the role of Conan in a new movie called Savage Conan vs The Spiders from Mars. I'm nerdraging so hard at my own pointless speculation that I'm *literally* crying into my keyboard.
< Keyboard out of shot, hidden by my nerdy nerdy tears.

In all seriousness I'm keen to see what Monte Cook has moved on to, it might be an exciting project.
I'm also keen to see 5e on the 24th.
The only thing I've taken from this is the strongest advocate for many game elements I prefer and my preferred style of play is no longer a part of the team.  That's ... disconcerting.  However, the playtest is free, it's still on and I would be stupid not to try it.  And so I will.  I mean, there's still every chance in the world that I'll love whatever 5e turns out to be.
Resident Prophet of the OTTer.

Section Six Soldier

Front Door of the House of Trolls

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

I for one am not disappointed that he left the team. I didn't like the direction he was taking the game based on his columns. He seemed to want to bring back many bad ideas from old editions.

I really have only one thing to say about this news, and--oh boy--I think I feel a song coming on: Good news!

This is the first bright day in the saga of D&D since Essentials. This is the first time since it was announced that I have any hope for the new edition. Now that the talentless hacks have all been rightfully disposed of, we need only rid ourselves of the grognard-in-chief currently bumbling around in the corner office, and we'll be well on our way to actually designing a GOOD, NEW game. 

-m4ki; one down, one to go

"Retro is not new. Retro-fit is not new." --Seeker95, on why I won't be playing DDN

|| DDN Metrics (0-10) | enthusiasm: 1 | confidence in design: -3 | desire to play: 0 | Sticking with 4e?: Yep. | Better Options: IKRPG Mk II ||
The Five Things D&D Next Absolutely Must Not Do:
1. Imbalanced gameplay. Any and all characters must be able to contribute equally both in combat and out of combat at all levels of play. If the Fighters are linear and the Wizards quadratic, I walk. 2. Hardcore simulationist approach. D&D is a game about heroic fantasy. I'm weak and useless enough in real life; I play RPGs for a change of pace. If the only reason a rule exists is because "that's how it's supposed to be", I walk. I don't want a game that "simulates" real life, I want a game that simulates heroic fantasy. 3. Worshipping at false idols (AKA Sacred Cows). If the only reason a rule exists is "it's always been that way", I walk. Now to be clear, I have no problem with some things not changing; my issue is with retaining bad idea simply for the sake of nostalgia. 4. DM vs. players. If the game encourages "gotcha!" moments or treats the DM and players as enemies, adversaries, or problems to be overcome, I walk. 5. Rules for the sake of rules. The only thing I want rules for is the things I can't do sitting around a table with my friends. If the rules try to step on my ability to roleplay the character I want to roleplay, I walk. Furthermore, the rules serve to facilitate gameplay, not to simulate the world. NOTE: Items in red have been violated.
Chris Perkins' DM Survival Tips:
1. When in doubt, wing it. 2. Keep the story moving. Go with the flow. 3. Sometimes things make the best characters. 4. Always give players lots of things to do. 5. Wherever possible, say ‘yes.’ 6. Cheating is largely unnecessary. 7. Don't be afraid to give the characters a fun new toy. 8. Don't get in the way of a good players exchange. 9. Avoid talking too much. 10. Save some details for later. 11. Be transparent. 12. Don't show all your cards. Words to live by.
Quotes From People Smarter Than Me:
"Essentials zigged, when I wanted to continue zagging..." -Foxface on Essentials "Servicing a diverse fan base with an RPG ruleset - far from being the mandate for 'open design space' and a cavalier attitude towards balance - requires creating a system that /works/, with minimal fuss, for a wide variety of play styles, not just from one group to the next, but at the same table." -Tony_Vargas on design "Mearls' and Cook's stated intent to produce an edition that fans of all previous editions (and Pathfinder) will like more than their current favourite edition is laudable. But it is also, IMO, completely unrealistic. It's like people who pray for world peace: I might share their overall aims, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for them to succeed. When they talk in vague terms about what they'd like to do in this new edition, I mostly find myself thinking 'hey, that sounds cool, assuming they can pull it off', but almost every time they've said something specific about actual mechanics, I've found myself wincing and shaking my head in disbelief and/or disgust, either straight away or after thinking about the obvious implications for half a minute." -Duskweaver on D&D Next
Sign In to post comments