Reducing MAD on Ranged Attacks

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
A player in my group wants to play a Cunning  Fake Skald, but wants to use ranged weapons.  I'm aware of the Farbond Spellblade + Intelligent Blademaster combo..  is there anything like that for bows or crossbows?  I'm looking to get Charisma or Intelligence on the ranged attacks and damage instead of dexterity.

I'd just homebrew a set of "Ranged Training" feats that were functionally identical to the Melee Training feats(except for the part where they work for RBAs instead of MBAs, obviously), and let them buy one of them. 

This, of course, assumes that homebrew is a viable option. It's what we've done in my group's games.

The only feat in the game that changes the stat used by the generic RBA power every cross/bow-user gets is Serene Archery, and that makes the RBA WIS-based, which is (I assume) counter-productive on your Bard.

Alternatives:

• 16/16 DEX/CHA stat spread. There are a lot of DEX/CHA races out there to choose from.

• Half-Elf Dilettante for a Seeker at-will. Obviously doesn't really work until Versatile Master is available in Paragon.

• Play a regular Bard because the Skald at-wills kind of suck unless you make a ton of BAs in a round, which is easier for melee characters to do than ranged ones. 

Dilettanting for an RBA at-will would work.  Both the Sorc and the Warlock have decent CHA-based ones (though they'd be Implement, so you'd need to pay a feat to use a bow or crossbow, or just eat using an implement).  Or Adept Dilettanting Seeker for Biting Swarm is a very good option, but requires an extra feat.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
The only feat in the game that changes the stat used by the generic RBA power every cross/bow-user gets is Serene Archery, and that makes the RBA WIS-based, which is (I assume) counter-productive on your Bard.

Alternatives:

• 16/16 DEX/CHA stat spread. There are a lot of DEX/CHA races out there to choose from.

• Half-Elf Dilettante for a Seeker at-will. Obviously doesn't really work until Versatile Master is available in Paragon.

• Play a regular Bard because the Skald at-wills kind of suck unless you make a ton of BAs in a round, which is easier for melee characters to do than ranged ones. 

Just pointing out that the OP said that he's doing a Fake Skald, which means he's already trying to run a regular Bard.