Cube is back! And TPF! and they FIXED the TPF PAYOUT!!!

49 posts / 0 new
Last post
www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

YES swiss and 8-4 both give out a total of 4 complete draft sets!!!

And 4-3-2-2 gives out a total of 3-4-4 so Timespiral packs will still be a little rare...

BUT....KUDOS WOTC!!!!
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
And for the same low price as before, but with pack prizes that should be worth more this time.
You guys realize what else they are doing with this?  A 2-week MTGO-only special event during the 2 weeks between the Avacyn release in paper and online.

So many right things happening here.   
Is it the same Cube? All the same cards? Somebody screwed up by not stating this one way or the other.
I also noticed they fixed the prize payout, and that they'e filling the void between paper and online pre-releases.

Good work, and thanks WOTC! 
Almost as exciting as Cube coming back is the fact that they are even offering Nix Tix Swiss and 8-4 for the TSE week.  They have not done that for a while.  I will be all over Swiss Cube and TSE.

Pack pizes have been balanced for the last couple Nix Tix actually, but I'm glad to see it continue.

It will be the same Cube list.  Last time was a preview.  I doubt there will be any changes until at least after AVR comes out.
Wow, I'm impressed.  I expected a price hike for the cube drafts.  Plus having TPF in the mix makes a home run for me.
DCI Certified Level 2 Judge
Wow they fixed The payouts and no one told me?

Very nice.

Now if they fix the DE schedule I will be really happy.
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
OH MY GOD.  Cube draft that pays out Time Spiral packs.  That conveniently end the day after I graduate law school.  My two favorite formats, bar none.

So, so, so happy.

I should also point out that had this happened this week instead of next, there is a fairly reasonable chance of me failing all of my finals. 
OH MY GOD.  Cube draft that pays out Time Spiral packs.  That conveniently end the day after I graduate law school.  

Hey congrats.
OH MY GOD.  Cube draft that pays out Time Spiral packs.  That conveniently end the day after I graduate law school.  My two favorite formats, bar none.

So, so, so happy.

I should also point out that had this happened this week instead of next, there is a fairly reasonable chance of me failing all of my finals. 

Congrats. We need another lawyer around here; we lost lawintern a while ago.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
My congrats as well, sperry. If you need me to shut off your account while you study for the bar, let me know. ;)
Thanks to all for the congrats!  And my OP should have read they BEGIN the day after I graduate.

Also, I'll probably need my account to preserve some semblance of sanity during bar study Cry  Plus,  I don't imagine I'l have much time to play once I start the law firm grind
Congratulations, sperry!

Nice job WotC!
Thank you, Erik.
My congrats as well, sperry. If you need me to shut off your account while you study for the bar, let me know. ;)

Worth, thanks for being a truly human and sometimes humorous voice for WOTC.  It's really nice to get the feeling once in a while that there's real people behind the scenes who actually care about the player base and not just the bottom line for Hasbro shareholders.
And Sperry, my congrats to you as well.  Kick butt on your finals, and then celebrate by kicking some Cube butt.   
TSE week. 

I think you mean TPF.  TSE is Tempest.  You scared me for a second there because I just bought a ton of Time Spiral packs.

TSE week. 

I think you mean TPF.  TSE is Tempest.  You scared me for a second there because I just bought a ton of Time Spiral packs.

Lol I'm not sure that was a good investment regardless.  The cube drafts are paying TPF packs, meaning approximately 7 billion TPF packs are going to be in the market.
TSE week. 

Lol I'm not sure that was a good investment regardless.  The cube drafts are paying TPF packs, meaning approximately 7 billion TPF packs are going to be in the market.

for every 4-3-2-2 that fires there will be two extra PF packs... so T will go up in value...

not a bad move.

By my calculations, Cube 4-3-2-2 pays out a total of 3 Time Spiral, 4 Planar Chaos, and 4 Future Sight. So, there will be a shortage of one Time Spiral pack for each 4-3-2-2 Cube draft. Of the 3rd-4th players, one will try to trade for the needed Time Spiral pack with the 1st place player. The remaining player's going to be out of luck. Same thing for those playing in the 4-3-2-2 Time Spiral block drafts.

Or, putting it another way, one person in each of the 4-3-2-2 drafts is going to end up with a "useless" prize. This is still a great improvement over the past classic set payouts.
By my calculations, Cube 4-3-2-2 pays out a total of 3 Time Spiral, 4 Planar Chaos, and 4 Future Sight. So, there will be a shortage of one Time Spiral pack for each 4-3-2-2 Cube draft. Of the 3rd-4th players, one will try to trade for the needed Time Spiral pack with the 1st place player. The remaining player's going to be out of luck. Same thing for those playing in the 4-3-2-2 Time Spiral block drafts.

Or, putting it another way, one person in each of the 4-3-2-2 drafts is going to end up with a "useless" prize. This is still a great improvement over the past classic set payouts.

I also think that Cube drafts are going to fire at a rate of about 10 for every TPF draft that fires.
Hmmm there is an additional week of tpf rafting after cube goes away... I think a lot if people will draft TPF rather than DII during that week
Hmmm there is an additional week of tpf rafting after cube goes away... I think a lot if people will draft TPF rather than DII during that week

I hope so.  I have an unhealthy love affair with TPF, and it's my strongest draft format.  In fact, I'll probably do signficantly better at those than at cube.
Looking forward to it. TP(Tarmogoyf lottery) is a fun format.
Here's how awesome cube drafts are:  right now, there's 2257 people in the MODO limited queues room, 117 in the constructed queues room, and 190 in the scheduled events room.  Somewhere around 85% of people who are logged into Magic Online are cubing.  If the people in charge of Magic Online don't make Cube a permanent presence, then they're idiots.
 If the people in charge of Magic Online don't make Cube a permanent presence, then they're idiots.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that. I think one of the things that's making the cube so attractive is the fact that its a rare experience. I assume that if it became permanent, the popularity would eventually go down and to keep it interesting they would have to constantly keep changing it something they probably don't have the bandwith to do with the necessary quality. I think having it as a special event periodically, the way they are doing it, is potentially the best way to make the most of it in terms of revenue for MTGO. Remember that phantom events started out like this and now they are way down. Of course, phantom events aren't anywhere near as fun.
For a great source of information on the Pauper format check out Pauper's Cage!
Yeah people go crazy for that rib sandwich or whatever at one of those fast food places, because it's a limited time thing.  It would just be another menu item if it were around all the time.
...I assume that if it became permanent...to keep it interesting they would have to constantly keep changing it something they probably don't have the bandwith to do with the necessary quality...

I disagree about them not having the bandwidth to revise the cube on a regular basis. I've always assumed that they do so each time a new set is released. In fact, if it remains this popular, I'd expect there might even be multiple cube draft options. They could have a "difficult" cube that's only available as 8-4 or something like that.

WotC has already requested suggestions for the Avacyn cube update, so I think it is a good bet the cube will be updated regularly.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
I think one of the things that's making the cube so attractive is the fact that its a rare experience.

Yeah people go crazy for that rib sandwich or whatever at one of those fast food places, because it's a limited time thing.  It would just be another menu item if it were around all the time.

I disagree.  Cube is simply the most fun magic format of all time.  I see tons of people on facebook chatter about cubing IRL all year round.  People don't post on each others' walls and say "Hey, when are we gonna play constructed?  When are we gonna draft the new set?"  Cubing is by far the most fun, most popular format in magic, no question.

Also, if the EV of cube drafts were equal to the EV of constructed Daily Events, I would play 5 a day, every single day for the rest of my life, and so would everyone else.
and so would everyone else.

There we go again with another post from someone with magical marketing data.

I can also conjure up those kinds of assumptioms. I'm pretty sure that if cube was how people normally played magic and someone suddenly came up with the idea of having constructed decks, then that's what people would be excited about and that's what 2000 people on MTGO would be playing right now.

Regardless, I do agree that cube is great... but I think wizard's is doing the right thing by keeping it an exciting and fresh thing instead of letting it become the norm. Try eating nothing but your favourite food for all your meals for a full week and you'll see what I mean ;)
For a great source of information on the Pauper format check out Pauper's Cage!
Cube is simply the most fun magic format of all time.

It's a draft variant. I detest draft. I rest my case.

Free Speech
Free speech is the right to speak your mind without government censorship and without fear of extralegal retaliation like harassment or violence. That’s all! Free speech doesn’t include the right to speak your mind on any forum anywhere. The government may not prevent you from speaking, but private parties, like blog owners or corporations, aren’t required to let you use their property as your platform. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be believed or to be taken seriously. People may mock, ridicule or laugh at what you say, or they may reject it outright. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be listened to. People who don’t desire to hear your opinion can hang up on you, block you on social media, change the channel, close the browser tab. Free speech doesn’t give you the right to bombard people with harassing messages or otherwise force them to pay attention to you against their will. And free speech doesn’t include the right to suffer no consequences whatsoever for your expressed opinions.
but I think wizard's is doing the right thing by keeping it an exciting and fresh thing instead of letting it become the norm. Try eating nothing but your favourite food for all your meals for a full week and you'll see what I mean ;)

That's ridiculous.  If that was the right play with cube, then it would be the right play with modern, extended, classic, singleton, prismatic, standard, block constructed, legacy, pauper, ISD draft, core set draft, and so on.  Yet all of these formats are accessible around the clock.  Cube is the only format that isn't.  When Wizards phases EVERY format in and out the way they do cube, I'll accept the rationale that they need to do it with cube also.  Otherwise, no, it's an invalid argument.

Cube is simply the most fun magic format of all time.

It's a draft variant. I detest draft. I rest my case.

Cube queues are firing twice as much as every other limited and constructed queue combined.  Somehow, its popularity reigns supreme despite you and your case.

Cube queues are firing twice as much as every other limited and constructed queue combined.  Somehow, its popularity reigns supreme despite you and your case.

This kind of statement really needs data  to back it up.

Guess what? Chicken butt.

This kind of statement really needs data  to back it up.

Last night when I posted this, there were 130 cube drafts firing 70 everything else in the same span of time.
I think things have slowed down a bit. I just counted:

• 26 Cube

• 33 TPF

• 50 DKA

Is there an easy way to count how many rows in the "Active and Completed Events" page?

I think things have slowed down a bit. I just counted:

• 26 Cube

• 33 TPF

• 50 DKA

Is there an easy way to count how many rows in the "Active and Completed Events" page?

I know of no easy way that wouldn't also lead to some inaccuracy (i.e. measuring the height of 10 rows, which could easily be screwed-up).  But you can sort by description or structure as a method of convenience.

I don't know what you did to come-up with those numbers, or what window of time you counted them in, but I just counted all active and completed events that are displayed in the limited queues section and my count was:

187 Cube
64 ISD
33 TPF
10 M12
2 SoM

I understand that you counted 4 hours before I did, but the ratios seem ridiculously off.  Not sure if there was a systematic error in your counting (i.e. if you sorted by description and only counted the swiss Cube queues or something) or if the time of day factor really affects the ratio that much.
I understand that you counted 4 hours before I did, but the ratios seem ridiculously off.  Not sure if there was a systematic error in your counting (i.e. if you sorted by description and only counted the swiss Cube queues or something) or if the time of day factor really affects the ratio that much.

Something may have been wrong with my counting. I sorted by Structure. More TPF than Cube seems kind of odd. I just counted again and got numbers similar to yours.

Here are Cube drafts by start time:

1. 6-7PM 28

2. 7-8PM 76

3. 8-9PM 70

The 6-7PM count seems kind of low. There was one draft listed as having started before 6pm, so I don't think they were being culled. Maybe there is a big surge in the evening? I'll try to remember to count again at the same time tomorrow.
As of right now, there are:

• 124 Cube

• 40 ISD

• 29 TPF

• 5 M12

The 6-7PM count seems kind of low. There was one draft listed as having started before 6pm, so I don't think they were being culled. Maybe there is a big surge in the evening? I'll try to remember to count again at the same time tomorrow.

The culling is based on the end time of the event, not the start time.  

The reason the 6-7 count was lower is because the faster drafts had been culled, but not the ones that went to time every round.
127 Cube
59 ISD
38 TPF
12 M12
2 SoM
I think it's pretty safe to say that Cube drafting was a big success.  I never thought I'd see that many classic TPF drafts firing again.

Is it sad that I'm looking forward to seeing a new version of Cube more than I am looking forward to Avacyn Restored events?  

Maybe next time it will be paired with a better classic draft set like Invasion Block. 
Sign In to post comments