Competition: Inner Demons

384 posts / 0 new
Last post
Now then, the Demon tribe has been my favourite in MTG for a long time. However, though many of the images I will be using are demons, I don't just want to see the same old tired ideas... if that makes sense. Horrors, nightmares and the like can also be a good fit for some.

Anyways, my competition is simple. I'll upload an image that's intriguing, and you design a card on it. If you wish to participate. I will score each round out of ten. My criteria include what I perceive as flavourful, creative and balanced. I will give brief feedback on each too. We shall see how well this goes, first competition and all that.

Anyways, gist of it, design a card based on an image, all of which will be demonically/infernally related in some way, probably the great stonking demon on the front. I don't know how to do the drop down tags so if anyone could let me know that'd be great, roughly two days an image, five intended rounds.  There are possible bonuses so you could score 11/10 if you're lucky :D Just a bit of fun:

First image here:

IMAGE(http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/2007/gothicdemonfairy.jpg)

Have fun, be inventive, have fun 

Malefica Pitsinger
Legendary Creature - Human Cleric
Flying
Play with the top card of your library revealed.
You may play the top card of your library as long as it's a Demon.
Pay 1 life: Shuffle your library.
2/2

edit: oh it has wings. okay now it is an inexplicalby flying cleric a la kaalia of the vast
Demon with a cross? How ironic.

Selune of the Sky
Legendary Creature - Angel Demon
Flying
Creatures you control with flying have undying.
The child of an angel and a demon, Selune prefers to be a collector rather than owner of the souls she claims.
3/3

This is based on the Preacher comic to some degree.

I think SimonGlume DEFINITELY has the right idea with this.  I thought so too and was going to post similar thoughts, but he beat me to it.  I'll go with a slightly different take on the same theme. I'll also add that she looks sad.

Lilah, Repentant Archfiend :wbm::wbm::wbm::wbm:
Legendary Creature - Demon Cleric | M
Flying
If you or ~ would be dealt damage, prevent that damage and put that many -1/-1 counters on ~
If ~ would deal damage to a player or planeswalker prevent that damage unless you discard a black card.
Discard a white card: remove all -1/-1 counters from ~
6/6

[sblock=Optional Name][/sblock]

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Aria, the Night Seer  
Plansewalker - Aria
{+1}:  Target player sacrifices a creature and draws a card.
{-3}:   Put a fate counter on target creature.  Whenever a creature with a fate counter dies, draw three cards, then discard one card.
{-8}:   Exile all cards from all graveyards.  Draw X cards and each opponent loses X life where X is the number of cards exiled this way.
[4]

The skeletal bird in her hand spoke to me.  Sine you said to make a card, and didn't say it had to be a creature, I made a half-demon 'Walker.  She uses such fun modified versions of Casting of Bones and Skeletal Scrying as her minus and ultimate abilities.  Her plus ability can be used offensively to help clear the board as the cost of letting her whisper dark power in your opponent's ear, or defensively as a normal demon feeding power with an upside.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Interesting so far. You are correct Azureshade it doesn't need to be a creature. hoping for a couple more before the time runs out on the round though. 

Oh might I add... the winning card each round will be added to Noumena, the setting I am still processing, the sinkhole of the multiverse :P 
Marian the Tiefling

Legendary Creature - Human Cleric
Flying
As long as you control a Demon, Marian the Tiefling has "Whenever you sacrifice a creature, each opponent discards a card"
Sacrifice a creature: Draw a card
2/3

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."
On Worldbuilding - On Crafting Aliens - Pillars of Art and Flavor - Simulationism, Narritivism, and Gamism - Shub-Niggurath in D&D
THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Please give credit to the artist whenever you share their art.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
A human tiefling? For shame.
Sadly "Legendary Creature - Human Demon Cleric" wouldn't fit on a type line, so like Other part-bloods she only gets one racial type.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."
On Worldbuilding - On Crafting Aliens - Pillars of Art and Flavor - Simulationism, Narritivism, and Gamism - Shub-Niggurath in D&D

I'm gonna give this one more day because my head isn't in the game right now. 

As for the artwork, it was unaccredited when I was sent it by a friend.  
So five players five rounds in total eh :P 

Well you haven't made it easy for me, I'll say that. I'm surprised at no Succubi references.

Metalevolence

Rightyo. This was my favourite card submitted, along with the other four. Anyways, a fairly creative idea, especially with the colour not having any effects (That I know of) similar. I like how you took the image and made her an infernal contracter rather than a demon herself. Flavour wise this felt bang on, everything about it makes me (A demon fan) want to play it. As for balance, I personally feel it could do with being 4cmc purely for the ability to shuffle your library at will.
8/10

SimonGlume

Angel Demon eh?  Cool twist on it, something not seen before as I believe, closest is wayward angel. Flavour wise I think it's a fit, based on you pointing the cross out... otherwise I may have been confused what other aspect gave you such an idea. In terms of balance, I proxied a version up quickly actually because I wasn't sure, and she's incredible for a 4 drop, seems too strong for her mana cost... granted it's two double colours so I'll let it slide there lol.
8/10

Paleopaladin

Originally I looked at this and thought it had some killer balance issues, but after relooking actually it deals with itself quite nicely. I mean we have abyssal persecutor which is, in my opinion, stronger as it doesn't require anything once it's functioning. As a result you got more marks on balance. Flavour wise, I like it, fits the image, as do all of them, and also expands on certain points, gaining creativity bonuses too. Really feels like you're paying for your demonic contract here.
9/10

Azureshade

Well done in noticing the card didn't need to be a creature. Bonus point in this round for trying to do that. I like the first two abilities, both make you feel like you're paying a contract for this demon, either you lose something to contract, or she's betraying you. Though fate counters have been used already in MtG, so may need to change that. The final ability strikes me as way too powerful, I know she's a 5 drop walker, but even so, nasty ability. Flavour wise, it fits demon, does it fit the image... I'd say so, again going with the succubus idea that I had in mind with it she lures things into a false sense of security. 
7/10

Tevish_Szat

Human Tiefling? I have a slight issue with this as a flavour point. I play a lot of D&D so that may be why. Other than that, solid card, potentially abusable, but most strong cards are. Again, the demonic theme of a trade for power is there which is nice. This would make a very strong EDH general in my opinion, maybe not quite Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief or Maga, Traitor to Mortals but still strong. Nice idea too, simplistic and effective.
7/10

First place round 1: Paleopaladin

The rest of the artwork I'll have the credit for the artists... and will make a card for each on the MtG editor to show it off.

Your next task, if you accept the contract:

IMAGE(http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/8057/d2dckekaikotaki.jpg)

Artwork by Kekai Kotaki

Now then, this demonic card must be above the curve, within reason, but have a significant drawback like MtG's old demons (Don't use the sacrificing creatures per turn) 

The reason I went with undying flyers is because she's rolling around with a live bird and a dead bird, so I assumed she was some kind of avian necromancer. Perhaps I should have shot for some flavor text there.

Demon's Dracofist
Artifact - Equipment
Demonic weapon (When this Equipment enters the battlefield, put a 4/4 black Demon creature token onto the battlefield, then attach this to it.)
Equipped creature gets trample and "Red: This creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn." Whenever equipped creature attacks, discard a card at random.
: Return ~ from the graveyard to the battlefield.
Equip

Originally I looked at this and thought it had some killer balance issues, but after relooking actually it deals with itself quite nicely. I mean we have abyssal persecutor which is, in my opinion, stronger as it doesn't require anything once it's functioning. As a result you got more marks on balance. Flavour wise, I like it, fits the image, as do all of them, and also expands on certain points, gaining creativity bonuses too. Really feels like you're paying for your demonic contract here.
9/10
First place round 1: Paleopaladin

Thank you for the kind words!  I'm a bit of a n00b, so it's fun to "win" at one of these! :-)  My round two contribution I'll try to toss out there in between (hopefully) some epic ownages of spoiled suburban teenagers at the AR prerelease tomorrow. :-)

Thoughts:

When I looked at the picture, what I liked about it is that it told a story in a single frame.  I kind of knew that I wanted this creature to be complex, creative, and have interesting mechanics.  Usually this means no room for flavor text (and I had a hunch my card wouldn't have room for it and just confirmed my hunch with MSE), so the mechanics themselves had to kind of tell the story and provide the flavor.  I was totally going for "creative" and really appreciate your kind words on that.

As for why no references to Succubi? I actually roughly explained that here in Jessie's "Dangerous Beauty" contest where I made a creature that's pretty much transparently a succubus rip-off.  Would appreciate your feedback on it if you get time! :-)
Archfiend of Tiamat

Creature - Demon
: Archfiend of Tiamat gets +1/+0 until end of turn
Whenever Archfiend of Tiamat deals combat damage, it also deals half that much damage, rounded up, to you.
5/4

You've not won yet Paleopaladin :P Just the round, there's five in total. 
Let's see what else people have to come up with :D At least another 24 hours on this
You've not won yet Paleopaladin :P Just the round, there's five in total. 
Let's see what else people have to come up with :D At least another 24 hours on this

I was pleased just taking round one!  I'm still on cloud nine from wrecking face at limited today and getting twice as many boosters as I paid for! :-)

Anyhow, here's my contribution for round two.  I saw the picture and kind of thought the gauntlet could be used as a flamethrower. :-)
When equipped creature attacks, creatures controlled by your opponents lose protection until end of turn and you get a poison counter.
You get a poison counter: Equipped creature gets your choice of first strike, haste, or wither until end of turn.
:brm::brm:, you get a poison counter: Equipped creature gets+3/+0 until end of turn.

Equip--You get a poison counter.

+1 for ancient sumerian mythos

my thing:

Skullwielder
Creature - Demon
Trample
When Skullwielder enters the battlefield, exile all cards from your hand.
When Skullwielder leaves the battlefield, return the exiled cards to their owner's hand.
: Skullwielder gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is the number of cards in your exile zone.
4/5
Hey guys, I'm closing the round here. However i won't be able to mark it for a couple of days, last year university project stuff to finish and all that
Sorry, I missed this, I was out of town at a convention for the weekend.  Since there are only four entries I'll toss mine up and if it sticks then great, if not then oh well.

Felhall Gatekeeper  
Creature - Demon
When Felhall Gatekeeper attacks or blocks, each player sacrifices a creature.
He takes his toll coming and going. 
5/4

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Hey guys, I'm closing the round here. However i won't be able to mark it for a couple of days, last year university project stuff to finish and all that

Totally understood, but I'm still keeping this up the forums with a

I had completely forgotten about this in all the university work. I'll have marks up tomorrow evening (GMT) with any luck. Sorry about the wait, I've a deadline tomorrow, exams over the next two weeks... I thought I'd be up on my work and I'm not. So I apologise there. 
No worries. Focus on uni so that you can get a jump on a great career and have more money for magic cards. ;) I'll just keep bumping this in the meantime.
Rightyo long time coming and I apologize for that. So we have the five entries again, each of you a point to the pentagram.

Anyway let us begin:

Simonglume

I like this one. Generating a 4/4 demon might be a bit much, but then I did say above the curve. The drawback is potent, it wouldn't be so much if it wasn't a random discard, however, the second you run out of cards this leaves you free to obliterate an oponent. Flavourwise it certainly fits the picture, the name alone does that. And with the firebreathing from dragons and trample that comes from both, I'm givine you 8/10, because the drawback isn't consistent. 
8/10

Tevish_Szat

I think the drawback on this is far too great, he's a mini Rakdos the defiler except he can't attack without some form of evasion or an empty board. Chump blocking him with plant tokens will get you killed using him. Does feel very suicide black i must admit. Otherwise good design, maybe if he was costed less, though I don't see how one would get away with that without lowering the stats a bit. Anyway, flavourwise seems to fit, he does look a bit suicidal and reckless.
7/10

Paleopaladin

I'm not a fan of this card, nor do I really see how it fits. No offence but demons don't deal in poison counters. Demon tribal equipment seems fair, but the overall feel is terrible. When I said about drawbacks I meant look at it this way, if you use this to get the +3 attack, one of the abilities and to attack you've gained 3 poison counters, plus one for equipping. This wouldn't get played at all, because it's just too suicidal sorry dude.
4/10

Metavolence

Now this I found very interesting, I mean very interesting. This has the potential to win you the game very quickly, but it leaves you with no answers, which could possibly get you killed. Flavourwise is in the name more than anything, I can see how to tie the abilities to the image. The wording seems a little clunky to me, but I think that's the fact I've been working and revising for my chemistry exams. You've also gained one of the hidden bonuses for this one.
9/10

Azureshade

Yeah you're allowed in, you were in the first round and after the amount of time it took me, I see no reason not to. And I'm a nice guy like that. Only person to take the more 'defensive' approach to it. I like the 'works solo' theme to him, with the advantage and drawback being the same ability. Eventually he'd end up sacrificing himself to block, which seems thematic to a demonic gatekeeper. His drawback will eventually leave the board empty. Crazy good with grave pact
7/10

There you have it for this round, the winner here is Metavolence.

Next round posting shortly
Round 3

Now for this round I want something a bit different. This one has to be a planeswalker. The abilities must reflect the image and give the player the feel that they are making bargains with him in exchange for power. 

IMAGE(http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/2742/demonart.jpg)

The art is by Allen Wei Ming (Says so bottom left)

Bellophon, Infernal Justiciar       

Planeswalker - Bellophon

+1 - Pay 5 life. Put a 2/2 Demon Imp creature token with flying, lifelink, and deathtouch onto the
       battlefield under your control. 

-5 - Gain control of target creature an opponent controls.  That creature deals damage to you equal to
       it's converted mana cost.

-8 - Put an emblem onto the battlefield which reads: Creatures you control have lifelink.  Whenever
      you gain life, each of your opponents loses that much life.

Loyalty - 5
Arlak the Dread

Planeswalker - Arlak
[+2]: Sacrifice a land.  If you do, draw a card
[-X]: Arlak deals X damage to target creature or player and X damage to you
[-9]: Destroy all other nonland permanents.  Your life total becomes equal to Arlak's loyalty.
[3]

Rightyo long time coming and I apologize for that. So we have the five entries again, each of you a point to the pentagram.

Paleopaladin
I'm not a fan of this card, nor do I really see how it fits. No offence but demons don't deal in poison counters. Demon tribal equipment seems fair, but the overall feel is terrible. When I said about drawbacks I meant look at it this way, if you use this to get the +3 attack, one of the abilities and to attack you've gained 3 poison counters, plus one for equipping. This wouldn't get played at all, because it's just too suicidal sorry dude.
4/10

Thanks for the feedback--I've actually for a while had this as a pet idea of mine: poison suicide.  I liked the idea of power "poisoning your soul."  Dont' be surprised if I try to win you over with it in another round againe--maybe with a better implementation. :-) I think Scars block made people uniquely associate poison with Phyrexian oil, but I don't see why other things can't deal in it.  You're right that my card might have been too under-powered.

Next up is my submission for the next round!
@Tevish_Szat, I LOVE your card's ultimate!

Volokh the Wardpact 

Planeswalker - VolokhM
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep he or she may pay X life to place X loyalty counters on Volokh and roll a 6-sided die X times.  If any of those rolls are a 6, that player gains control of him.
-2: Volokh deals 4 damage to target opponent unless he or she sacrifices a land.
-3: Volokh deals 7 damage to target opponent.  If he is still on the battlefield, that opponent may place X loyalty counters on him to prevent X of that damage.
{4}

Belphegor, the Vile Prince
Planeswalker - Belphegor
[+1] ~ deals one damage to target creature or player and one damage to you.
[-3] Each player sacrifices a permanent.
[-5] Return all creature cards from all graveyards to the battlefield. Those creatures gain haste until end of turn. Exile those creatures at the beginning of the next end step.
{2}

Volgrim the Sadistic
Planeswalker - Volgrim
+X: Volgrim deals X damage to target creature and X damage to you.
-2: Choose target permanent. Its controller chooses target non-Volgrim permanent you control. Destroy those permanents.
-6: Volgrim deals damage to each player equal to half that player's life total, rounded up.
[3]

the -2 is a bit out of color but who cares
Baphomet, Corruptor of Souls
Planeswalker - Baphomet
+X: Pay X life and discard X cards. If you do, put an X/X black Demon creature token onto the battlefield. If you can't, sacrifice Baphomet, Corruptor of Souls.
-1: Draw two cards, lose two life, and reveal your hand to target opponent. That opponent chooses one card from your hand. Discard that card.
-10: Your life total becomes 6, and you get an emblem with "Whenever you cast a spell, you lose 2 life and each opponent loses 5 life."
{3} 

(First post on these forums)

Show
Making a card off of the second picture, just for fun.

Helldraco Rampager 
Creature - Demon Dragon Barbarian
Flying
Whenever you discard a card, ~ gets +3/-1 until end of turn.
Discard a card at random: Destroy target creature. You lose 5 life.
5/4
I also go by "The Wizard Of Yendor." If you've never heard of it, go play NetHack some time, it's a fun game.
Just thought I'd let people know, I've another exam this tuesday so I'm going to leave this round open until then.

Also, slight change. Final round will be worth more points so that newer entries have a chance of competing too.

Still, favourite designs of each round will be incorperated into a set that I'll be working on when the workload has dropped.
The Baron :B::B::B::B::B::B:
Planeswalker - Baron
+2: Exile Target land you control and target nonland permanent you don't control
+2: Add :B::B: to your mana pool for each land exiled by The Baron 
0: If The Baron has 9 or more loyalty counters, return a permanent exiled by the baron to the battlefield under your control.
abandoned?

It certainly appears so.  The OP's last post was 3 weeks ago.  Do we just go ahead and finish it, or...what's the protocol for an abandoned contest?
Not sure--either find a new rater or abandon? maybe see how many participants and readers still care about it? I do!

Me too...and I know you do, because you've been bumping.  LOL

Ok, so...how many other participants in this want to either A) keep it going, or B) just have someone grade the remaining entries and call it done?
I'd at least likle to see an end to this contest.

Anyone have someone in mind to take this over?  I say we let that person choose whether they just judge the last few cards or take take the contest through all 5 rounds.