Rogue vs. Alertness feat

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
If a Rogue attempts to Sneak Attack an enemy w/the Alertness feat during a surprise round, he can't because the enemy doesn't grant combat advantage due to the feat.

But the enemy hasn't acted yet, since the surprise is at the start of the encounter, thus doesn't the Rogue's First Strike ability come into play allowing the Rogue to have combat advantage against the enemy and Sneak Attack?

What am I missing here? Does the feat trump the class ability or is it the other way around?
If it wasn't for Shadowfax, Gandalf never would have made it. Shadowfax, the real hero of LotR.
Why does the enemy have a feat at all?  Enemies do not have feat (by default) in 4e.

However, yes; the enemy's Alertness causes it not to grant CA for being Surprised.  Other effects can still cause it to grant CA as normal.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
As of the August 2010 update, the Alertness feat just means a creature cannot be surprised. It does not interact directly with combat advantage, so gives no protection whatsoever against granting CA due to things other than being surprised. The original wording of the feat in PHB1 actually gave blanket immunity to CA during surprise rounds, regardless of the reason for that CA. It was presumably changed in order to avoid this sort of question arising.

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

TY Duskweaver.

I do not have access to the Aug 2010 update on this I-phone.

Does the Alertness feat still provide a +2 to Perception or just the inability to be surprised?

Are you able to post the update here?
If it wasn't for Shadowfax, Gandalf never would have made it. Shadowfax, the real hero of LotR.
Exact wording of the updated feat is:

Alertness

Benefit: You cannot be surprised.

Also, you gain a +2 feat bonus to Perception checks.

And FWIW, the update document says:

Alertness
Page 193: The feat’s Benefit entry was revised so
you can’t be surprised instead of preventing you from
granting combat advantage for being surprised.

TY again.

Is it me or has Alertness become a very, very good feat.

I mean you can't be surprised at all . . .
It's pretty campaign-dependant. If you're getting ambushed frequently, it's an awesome feat. In the campaign I'm currently DMing, though, eight levels have gone by without the party starting a single combat encounter surprised, so Alertness would actually have been worse than Skill Focus: Perception.

TY again. Is it me or has Alertness become a very, very good feat. I mean you can't be surprised at all . . .

Well, it takes up a feat slot.  There is a cloth armor (Assassinbane) which does the same thing.  Also, there are a couple of paragon paths which prevent you from being Surprised.  There are a couple of powers (one belongs to the Ranger, I know for a fact) which let you or your allies not be surprised.
Sign In to post comments