Why do some many rules threads . . .

For the same reason that so many speculative threads get posted in the Rules forum -- people make mistakes or don't realise there's a better place to post their thread.

Returned from hiatus; getting up to speed on 5e rules lawyering.

because D&D is a ruleset?

the how and why people play D&D will vary from person to person, so speculating on if goblins will be green, blue, gray, red or rainbow colored is pretty pointless.

we can, however, talk about what mechanics we are speculating they are working on based on their communication because that will determine if and how D&D will support each our preferred styles.
OP, can you rephrase your question in speculative product related fashion?

jk

the how and why people play D&D will vary from person to person, so speculating on if goblins will be green, blue, gray, red or rainbow colored is pretty pointless.

we can, however, talk about what mechanics we are speculating they are working on based on their communication because that will determine if and how D&D will support each our preferred styles.

Agreed.  That is why there is a D&D Next Mechanics forum.

Any Edition

OP, can you rephrase your question in speculative product related fashion?

jk

Touche

Any Edition

yes and no. most of the threads i see hear that talk about mechanics are usually about what the impact those mechanics will have on the game (either their own game or the game as a whole).

the next mechanics forum would be for "here is how i would like to handle mechanical alignment" while this forum is more "here is how mechanical alignment worked in the past and it's effects on the game, should we keep it, change it or drop it for something else".

it's pretty hard to sepeculate what the product will be like without bringing in mechanics, which eventually leads to discussions about mechanics. 

yes and no. most of the threads i see hear that talk about mechanics are usually about what the impact those mechanics will have on the game (either their own game or the game as a whole).

the next mechanics forum would be for "here is how i would like to handle mechanical alignment" while this forum is more "here is how mechanical alignment worked in the past and it's effects on the game, should we keep it, change it or drop it for something else".

it's pretty hard to sepeculate what the product will be like without bringing in mechanics, which eventually leads to discussions about mechanics. 

Agreed. I tend to regard this forum as overview speculation, and the rules forum as more granular speculation about how a certain rule would work or a place to make suggestions for rules. As we have no solid rules to talk about as yet I regard most of the posts in the other forums as a lot of sound and fury. There are plenty of interesting and/or workable ideas floated there, and some quite mad blatherings too. Until we see some rules to talk about I'm not sure what the purpose of the rules forum actually is right now.

Sign In to post comments