4/24/2012 Serious Fun: "Avacyn_Restored.dek"

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I don't believe Ghostly Flicker and Sower of Temptation interact the way you think they interact.  

Actually, it does work.

The way Ghostly Flicker is worded, the flickered creatures return to the battlefield "under your control", not under their owner's control like typical flicker effects. This means that, even if you aren't the creature's owner, it returns to your side of the battlefield, and since it's entering the battlefield as a new copy of itself, it has no memory of having ever belonged to anyone but you.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
I was going to agree with Magic1264, but then I reread Ghostly Flicker...
I don't agree with the rationale on not running Terminus or Hallowed Burial. "We want people to recur stuff so we can copy it." Perhaps if were recurring your own stuff, but tuck is so powerful in the format. Seems better to ruin their plans and bury their generals.

But, that's just my eyeball speaking. I do run HB in every deck though.  
While it's a small sample size—as Trick's data is similarly less-than-comprehensive—the fact remains that if you need your Commander to do something, you want to have Cavern of Souls or it's forbearerBoseiju, Who Shelters All handy to help force it through.

Boseiju is unlikely to help you cast your commander since it only makes instants and sorceries uncounterable.
Magic1264 was actually correct. Sower/Flicker does not work. When Sower of Temptation leaves the battlefield, its control effect ends, even if it was returned to the battlefield immediately. It's a new object that doesn't count for maintaining the control effect.
Rules Nut Advisor
Magic1264 was actually correct. Sower/Flicker does not work. When Sower of Temptation leaves the battlefield, its control effect ends, even if it was returned to the battlefield immediately. It's a new object that doesn't count for maintaining the control effect.

But we're using Ghostly Flicker here, which targets two creatures. In this case, you target both the Sower of Temptation and the creature you stole. They leave play at the same time, and both come back to the battlefield under your control, because Ghostly Flicker tells you they do. Then, Sower of Temptation triggers and can steal a different creature.
57193048 wrote:
srs rls mgr is srs
57125208 wrote:
"If you're having defense problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 soldiers but they're just 1/1."
Bad survey question at the end - I'm attending the prerelease to be attending the prerelease, not because of the helvault. There will be one, but it isn't the reason I'm going. So none of the answers actually fits. :P

But we're using Ghostly Flicker here, which targets two creatures. In this case, you target both the Sower of Temptation and the creature you stole. They leave play at the same time, and both come back to the battlefield under your control, because Ghostly Flicker tells you they do. Then, Sower of Temptation triggers and can steal a different creature.

Ah, a completely different interaction than the one I saw. Carry on, carry on, you saw nothing.
Rules Nut Advisor
When I saw Deadeye Navigator for the first time, I knew he was going to be a hilarious EDH card.  But even I didn't pick up on the silly, silly, silly Draining Whelk combo.  That's just mean. 

And now I want to do it.  Along with finding other hilarious things to flicker with this guy.