4/24/2012 ReConstructed: "The Red, the Blue, and the New"

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's ReConstructed, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

My deck list is an honorable mention! (Greg Peck's Red Green Werewolves)

@GavinVerhey
hey mr. i just made my new deck for your reconstructed next week with some of the proxy card and test with my neighborhood. Well i need some advice to improve my deck so that i could win at constructed local turnament.

Land: 20
12x mountain
3x Evolving wilds
3x Clifftop retreat
2x Slayer's stronghold

Creature: 15
3x Stormkirk noble (trying to get another 1 copy)
3x Hellrider (Biggest Finisher for me)
4x Vexing devil (ace beater, he kicks fast)
3x Stonewright (if i got land flooded)
2x Lightning mauler

Other spells: 25
1x Midnight haunting
3x Brimstone volley
2x Curse of the stalked prey
4x Furor of the bitten
4x Pillar of flame
4x Thunderbolt
2x Uncanny speed
2x Thunderous wrath
1x Demolish
2x Runechanter's pike

So far i only have one problem with other deck. i can face u/b control if i was quick enough(4 win;2 lost), but againts Delver(3 wins and 5 lost) it almost doesn't stand a chance unless i get alot of thunderbolt. As for sideboard i have no idea what to put. The main deck seems good to me and replace them may desroy the deck speed. 

Mine made is as an honorable mention as well! (Gordon Choo's White-Blue Blink)
I don't really agree with most of the new cards advised.

Lighthouse is good
Pillar of Flame is good.

But...lunar mystic in a deck with...10 instants?  Miracle cards whose effects aren't that beneficial to the deck (not that you'll complain if you miracle them).  Tamyo in a deck that can't use her draw all that well?

Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.

This decks seeks to take advantage of the combination of Charmbreaker Devils and Wild Defiance. Cast an instant on an enchanted Charmbreaker, and it becomes an 11/7 plus the affect of the instant!

In keeping with Avacyn Restored, I included some miracle cards, some soulbond cards, and of course a Vexing Devil. Finally, I filled it out with some mana producing creatures.

Charmbreaker Defiance

As soon as I saw Lunar Mystic, I knew that I wanted to build a deck around it. Luckily, my deck idea also fits into your deck requirements this week. So without further ado, UW Insta-Flicker:

Creatures:

3x Snapcaster Mage
4x Solemn Simulacrum
3x Lunar Mystic
4x Mentor of the Meek
2x Spellskite
3x Fiend Hunter

Spells:

4x Cloudshift
3x Ghostly Flicker
4x Ponder
4x Mana Leak
2x Dissipate

Lands:

3x Moorland Haunt
2x Ghost Quarter
4x Glacial Fortress
2x Evolving Wilds
4x Seachrome Coast
5x Plains
4x Island

Sideboard:

3x Oblivion Ring
2x Spellskite
3x Flashfreeze
3x Timely Reinforcements
2x Nihil Spellbomb
2x Phantasmal Image

So the aim of the deck is to take advantage of the card advantages engines of Lunar Mystic and Mentor of the Meek. The overlap between the two cards exists in that they both are pretty fragile (at the key number of 2 power and toughness) and need to be protected by flicker effects and counterspells. Furthermore, flicker effects and counterspells tend to be instants for Lunar Mystic and can flicker out 2 power guys for Mentor of the Meek. Needless to say, this deck is all about synergy and overlap. Hope you like it and consider it for your article. Thanks.
On the topic of Treasure Mage: Hello planeswalkers. Look at your hand, now back to me, now back to your hand, now back to me. Sadly, your hand doesn't have a big game-winning bomb in it, but if you searched through your library for an artifact with converted mana cost of 6 or greater, you could get one. Look down, now back up, shuffle your library. Where are you? You're in a Magic game, and you're losing. What's that in your hand? It's a Wurmcoil Engine. Look again, the Wurmcoil Engine is now a ticket to Nagoya. Anything is possible when you cast Treasure Mage. I'm on a dragon. Currently Playing: U/R Burning Vengeance Control 10-2 http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ur-burning-vengeance-2/
Guys, if you want to submit your deck you need to email it to him:

Send all decklists via email by clicking the "Respond via Email" link at the bottom of this article

~ Current Decks I'm Playing or Building ~ (Click a deck's name to see list) [] CorpseJunk Menace/Township Counters (Standard) [] Reanimation/Clerics Theme Deck - Commander: Ghost Dad [] Devouring Tokens (Planechase, Multiplayer) [] Krark-Clan Ironworks: 2012 Edition (Modern) [] Azorious Turbo Fog (Modern)
Double-Negative:

You realize it is BLOCK CONSTRUCTED!!!!!?????? that means no seachrome coasts, no solemn simulacrum, no mana leak, and no ponder. Did I miss anything?

My deck wasn't even mentioned, and I had designed it for tibalt. But I am hoping for next week with a mega awesome Naya Ramp!!!!!

And by the way, if you talk about tibalt as a possible inclusion, then dismiss him as not good enough and too risky to be used redundantly, you just contribute to the paradigm of him being stupidly underpowered. And, If you think about batterskulls vigilance granting abilities, and the lifelink, he looks very reasonable. Imagine an Inferno Titan with lifelink. Chandra interacts awsomely with Blue Suns Zenith, Decking you opponent in an unforseen snap, and her board sweeping ability is very useful. All I'm saying is, other directions can be taken with singletons than what you took. If one was obviously more powerful, he would have had more copies.
Missed the deadline, but here is a deck that is almost all Avacyn Restored.

Creatures: 22
4x Champion of Lambholt - Deck master
2x Craterhoof Behemoth - Backup win condition
3x Hanweir Lancer - Way to give my creatures extra teeth
2x Kessig Cagebreakers  - Backup win condition
3x Nightshade Peddler - Way to give my creatures extra teeth
4x Strangleroot Geist - Cheap aggro
4x Vexing Devil - Cheap aggro

Other Spells: 15
2x Battle Hymn - Mana ramp (killer with the bonefire)
2x Bonfire of the Damned - One sided board sweeper
2x Gnaw to the Bone - To ensure I make it to the late game
4x Pillar of Flame - Spot removal
3x Ranger's Guile - Protection
2x Triumph of Ferocity - Card draw

Land: 23
4x Evolving Wilds
9x Forest
3x Kessig Wolf Run
7x Mountain

This deck is all about the red zone. It is aggro in the extreme. The two soulbond creatures will easily find targets to help make the board uneven. They also combo great with each other, creating an unpassable wall for the ground troops. Red is brining its A game with Vexing Devil and Bonfire of the Damned. The Devil will usually be 4 to the head, but at the low cost of 1 mana. On the other side, the Bonfire can wipe an opponent's entire board before swinging with the whole army.
Green makes its presence known heavily. The Champion and Geist make for an aggressive pair that will have opponents on the defense very early. For opponents who can stabilize without clearing the board, the Behemoth is the answer. If your lucky, he can pay a visit as early as turn 5. For those opponents who have gone all Wrath of God on you, Gnaw to the Bone will help keep your life total high until the Cagebreaker drops to ruin the show.
The deck's greatest weakness in Flying. The deck has nothing that can block them. Instead, the plan is to keep pressure on so that they need to hold their flyers back.
Its not the greatest, and the heavy Green committment many of the cards has does make playing red difficult. There are also several cards that just seem to lack a good fit. 
MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago." ******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************** MaRo: During a playtest, I played a Reaper from the Abyss. I attacked each turn, while my opponent would chump block (he had a lot of fliers), and then I killed a second creature. This happened until he had only one creature left. I attack, he blocked, and then the following dialogue occurred: Him: Kill your demon. Me: What? Him: My guy died so you have to kill a creature. Me: Yeah, but why would a demon kill himself? Him: I don't know. He's depressed there's no one left to kill. Me: That doesn't make any sense. Him: I don't care. It's what the card says. I then take out my pen, and wrote "non-Demon" on it. Him: You can't do that. Me: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.
I emailed it to him and posted it here for critique. Totally missed the Block Constructed part.... I thought it just needed to be based around an Avacyn Restored Card, not made only of Innistrad cards. That's kind of lame because it would've made a good deck even Block, but now I can't reapply because I missed the deadline. :P Oh well..
On the topic of Treasure Mage: Hello planeswalkers. Look at your hand, now back to me, now back to your hand, now back to me. Sadly, your hand doesn't have a big game-winning bomb in it, but if you searched through your library for an artifact with converted mana cost of 6 or greater, you could get one. Look down, now back up, shuffle your library. Where are you? You're in a Magic game, and you're losing. What's that in your hand? It's a Wurmcoil Engine. Look again, the Wurmcoil Engine is now a ticket to Nagoya. Anything is possible when you cast Treasure Mage. I'm on a dragon. Currently Playing: U/R Burning Vengeance Control 10-2 http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ur-burning-vengeance-2/