Want more attack penalties for my swordlock

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi all,

I've got a swordmage|warlock.  The character is currently level 12.

I'm looking for ways to stack penalties to attack on enemies.  Right now I have the following...

Psychic Lock
Protective Hex
Aegis of Assault

Couple questions...

Is there a collection of ways to penalize enemy attack rolls that already exists somewhere?

Any feats you would suggest?

Any items that help out with this?

Is there a way to add the psychic keyword to eldritch strike?  (To gain the psychic lock benefit)

Additional Info:

Mindbite Scorn and Dragonmark feats are off limits.  My initial pact is up in the air and I grabbed Fey pact through Twofold pact and went Feytouched for my PP.  In addition, items are really rare and hard to come by in this campaign, although if there are weapon ideas, let me hear them.

My build.

Swordmage Warlock Hybrid
Eladrin

Aegis of Assault

First Pact:  Undecided due to DM banning sorcerer king pact
Second Pact: Fey Pact

Paragon Pact: Feytouched

Feats: 
Aegis Vitality
War Wizard's Expertise
Hybrid Talent (SM Warding)
Double Aegis
Eladrin Swordmage Advance
Psychich Lock
Twofold Pact
Protective Hex
There's a handbook for that

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Link please? 

I looked through the handbook collection and couldn't find it.  I'm not trained in perception though so...
If you are sorcerer-king pact and take mindbite scorn, your curse damage is psychic which means that all your attacks where you deal your curse damage are considered psychic.  Since you are marking, you might want to look at Mark of the Sentinel though I could have the wrong one.  There is one of the dragonmarks that increases your mark penalty from -2 to -3.  If we knew what you already had, we could make better suggestions.
If you are sorcerer-king pact and take mindbite scorn, your curse damage is psychic which means that all your attacks where you deal your curse damage are considered psychic.  Since you are marking, you might want to look at Mark of the Sentinel though I could have the wrong one.  There is one of the dragonmarks that increases your mark penalty from -2 to -3.  If we knew what you already had, we could make better suggestions.

I does mindbite scorn work like this? I was under the impression that the psychic damage of the curse did not give the attack that triggered it the psychic keyword. I'll take your word on it that it does though.

In any case, one thing you could consider doing is using the nightmare weaver paragon path. It's probably better for a pure warlock than for a hybrid, but it has a few features designed to give attack penalties. Its level 16 feature makes all warlock encounter powers rattling, which as far as I've seen, is a feature that is hard to come by.
Short story:  Mindbite Scorn and Dragonmark feats are off limits.  My initial pact is up in the air and I grabbed Fey pact through Twofold pact and went Feytouched for my PP.  In addition, items are really rare and hard to come by in this campaign, although if there are weapon ideas, let me hear them.

Long story:  I had mindbite scorn through level 11 but have to get rid of it now.  Another warlock in the party had it, the feat that ups your curse to d8 and bloodied boon.  He was tossing around 4d8 or so extra including his fell might on most turns.  The DM then banned Mindbite Scorn.  The Dragonmark feats in this campaign basically ruin your life, so I'm not gonna take one of those.

My build.

Swordmage Warlock Hybrid
Eladrin

Aegis of Assault

First Pact:  Undecided due to DM banning sorcerer king pact
Second Pact: Fey Pact

Paragon Pact: Feytouched

Feats: 
Aegis Vitality
War Wizard's Expertise
Hybrid Talent (SM Warding)
Double Aegis
Eladrin Swordmage Advance
Psychich Lock
Twofold Pact
Protective Hex
Oh wow, Nightmare Weaver looks excellent.  The only question for me is should I give up Slashing Wake from Feytouched for it.  I already had a whole d6 taken off of my curse by the DM, losing that means losing about 5 damage per round. 

I'm considering it though.  We have two other strikers in the crew.  Maybe I should focus entirely on ruining the enemy's day.  Thoughts?  Feytouched vs. Nightmare Weaver?
Are you the tank, off tank, or another striker?
Are you the tank, off tank, or another striker?

Well, I wanted to be off-tank and mostly striker.  We have a berserker in the party but he really doesn't know what he is doing as a defender.  With that and the way the DM has nerfed some of my striker abilities, I think I should go with being the main tank and striker lite.

Which would mean Nightmare Weaver
I would check out these threads (both Ultimate Defenders, both Swordmage/Warlocks):
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... 

One problem with either build is that they are good enough to get banned by a DM with a twitchy finger (as yours seems to be).

One problem with stacking penalties is you tend to only be able to stack penalties (of the "don't attack my friends" variety) on enemies that you just attacked last turn.  Depending on what you plan to attack with, this might be only a single enemy (or at best a bunch of guys clustered up that you Sword Burst)

Scorpion Knight: High Armor, High Damage in Heroic Safe Haven: Stay near me and never get hit Eldritch Avenger: Crit Fishing at level 12, LFR friendly

Link please? 

I looked through the handbook collection and couldn't find it.  I'm not trained in perception though so...

Here..

For some reason it's not in the collection.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I would check out these threads (both Ultimate Defenders, both Swordmage/Warlocks):

One problem with either build is that they are good enough to get banned by a DM with a twitchy finger (as yours seems to be).

One problem with stacking penalties is you tend to only be able to stack penalties (of the "don't attack my friends" variety) on enemies that you just attacked last turn.  Depending on what you plan to attack with, this might be only a single enemy (or at best a bunch of guys clustered up that you Sword Burst)

Thanks, I had been looking at Darth Vader already, but the Safe Haven is new to me.  I don't want to go too extreme because I know I'd want to ban a player at my table if he was tossing around -14 at will or something.  But this DM tends to only see damage as power gaming and everything else as good strategy.  Which is stupid but that's what I have to deal with.  In fact, his reason for banning Mindbite Scorn is: "3d6 curse damage is epic level damage.  You are paragon, therefore that is broken."  I pointed him to the rogue which gets 3d6 sneak attack in paragon and he said I was comparing apples to oranges.  Oh well.

I don't mind that the penalties end up only being on one or two enemies.  That's my goal.  If I was dropping the penalties on everyone then I would easily draw the ire of the DM.  I figure sticking the penalties on one or two enemies per round is great as it will effectively lock them down but not stop the entire enemy force.  Hopefully that will make this fun for all and not overpowered to the DM. 

I'll try to put up a build in a bit for you guys to critique if you'd like to.
Surprised nobody mentioned it, and I know that you said weapon options are rare, but if you are looking for easier ways of applying psychic lock try a githyanki silver weapon.  Allows you to turn your damage to psychic damage or back to untyped so that you can use eldritch strike with the psychic keyword.

Doesn't help with stacking attack debuffs but at least allows you to apply psychic lock any time you want.  In epic tier this + a rod of ulban is a commonly used combination for psychic heavy parties.