Feed the Pack, Redux

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, with Avacyn Restored revelaed, in all it's angelic glory, my thoughts turn to an old idea.

The idea is a deck based around Feed the Pack

There were many suggestions thrown around the last time I put forward this diea, on how to best use this card to win, but with new cards having been revealed, I ask you, the assembled planeswalkers, to add your two cents on which (if any) of the new cards could improve the decklist below.

(I'd especially appreciate if suggestions could be made to replace some of the more expensive cards, I love low budjget decks. Not including Tree of Redemption, i love that thing)

Creatures(24)
4xyoung wolf
4xViridian Emissary
3xTree of Redemption
3xStrangleroot geist
3x Skinshifter
3xSun Titan
2xVorapede'
2XWall of tanglecord

Spells(15)
4xFeed the Pack
3xbeast within
3xintangible virtue
3xOblivion ring
2xRanger's guile

Lands(21)
4x Sunpetal Grove
4xRazorverge thicket
7x Forests
6x Plains

Sideboard(15, duh)
2xAutumn's Veil
3xRevoke Existence
3xAct of Aggression

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/10.jpg)

Hello Urbonov!

From the new set, I would look into Druids' Repository, as you will be attacking (seemingly) constantly, so it will be a big mana pool for you.

I was thinking, if it weren't for the sun titan, Kessig Cagebreakers might work pretty well here.

A warning though: Angel of Jubilation bones over this deck's mechanic. gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details....
No, Angel of Jubilation doesn't. Its exact text is "Players can't pay life or sacrifice creatures to cast spells or activate abilities". Feed the Pack is a triggered ability and it's still perfectly fine to sac a creature to it.
Angel of Jubliation you say? Interesting. I will have to look into that, and I hope you are correct FiveMinuteCatNap.

Otherwise I will make sure a Beast Within will be there to greet her.

@Shadow272
I'm interested to hear your reasoning behind the Kessig cage breakers, as I am sort of looking for something to replace the rather expensive sun titans.

you may or may not want Champion of Lambholt but i dont know why a Elder of Laurels isnt in your list.

lol have you taken a look at the mega-overrun guy Craterhoof Behemoth yet? if he resolves it might just be GG.

also I think you need more ramping to not only be able to cast Feed the Pack but to make sure u can compete with decks using decks with a lower mana curve than yours.

Avacyn's Pilgrim (cant hurt to have more white sources)
Borderland Ranger (even though he 1cmc more than Emissary he will give u 2 wolfs when sac'd)
Rampant Growth old faithful Ramp

EDIT: forgot borderland ranger doesnt put the land into play 
you may or may not want Champion of Lambholt but i dont know why a Elder of Laurels isnt in your list.

lol have you taken a look at the mega-overrun guy Craterhoof Behemoth yet? if he resolves it might just be GG.

also I think you need more ramping to not only be able to cast Feed the Pack but to make sure u can compete with decks using decks with a lower mana curve than yours.

Avacyn's Pilgrim (cant hurt to have more white sources)
Borderland Ranger (even though he 1cmc more than Emissary he will give u 2 wolfs when sac'd)
Rampant Growth old faithful Ramp

EDIT: forgot borderland ranger doesnt put the land into play 

I find some of your points well taken. I just have to consider what to eliminate fromt eh current list to make room.

Assuming I can get my hands on a couple, the Behemoth would make a nice replacment for the titan (rather than adding to the creatures to be sacraficed, he pumps himself and them up)

I am a little concerned over the Behemoth's cost, but I suppose getting him out may avery well be an engame move anyway. I will ponder it for a bit. He does seem like a natural way to use the strength of the deck...

Also, I am a little wary of including too many creatures that take advantage of large numbers of other creatures to be effective, as I need to keep a balance between them and ones I can sacrafice to make the wolves.

Angel of Jubliation you say? Interesting. I will have to look into that, and I hope you are correct FiveMinuteCatNap.

Otherwise I will make sure a Beast Within will be there to greet her.

@Shadow272
I'm interested to hear your reasoning behind the Kessig cage breakers, as I am sort of looking for something to replace the rather expensive sun titans.

FiveMinuteCatNap's comment makes a lot of sense... so I think you are pretty safe in that regard.

As for Kessig: Personally, he is one of my favorite cards in general. He comes out late game, when the graveyard is sure to have a couple of creatures in it. Since when this deck gets rolling, it will have a handful of creatures in the graveyard, it seems like a very nice combo to me. I figure you spend three slots to get intangible virtue, you might want to fit in more wolf generators (Kessig Cagebreakers, Mayor of Avabruck, or Garruk Relentless come to mind). One defect that I can think of is that the wolves from Kessig come into play tapped and attacking, even if you have intangible virtue. 

Frankly, white doesn't seem to be doing much for you - and if you remove the titans, it would be even less. I think either you could do with more tokens, less white, or a combo thereof. I definitely fear using mono-colored decks, though, considering the rampant amount of protection there is - especially for mono-green.

A general issue I see with this deck is that your main strategy seems... slow. You have a 6 mana sac outlet but very little ramp. I think the emissary is good enough as far as whether or not you need rampant growth, but you might want to consider birds of paradise, or at least avacyn's pilgrim (if you have a bunch of white) or llanowar elves (if you remove white)
I had been pondering the white issue myself actually.

Truth be told, the only white called I am really attached to at all is intangible virtue, and I could keep that if I went with the Pilgrims or birds of paradise.

Some have suggested making it a Green/Red deck, as there are some fun red cards, like Hellrider that can give a large mass of tokens more direct damage, or the new Hound of Griselbrand with undying.

While I like Champion of Lambholt and Elder of Laurels if I was going to go for a big green, I'd prefer Craterhoof Behemoth as he gives benefits to other creatues, rather than needing other creatures to make him good, though champion sort of does that too.

Creatures(24)
4xyoung wolf
3xViridian Emissary
3xTree of Redemption
3xhellrider
3x Skinshifter
2xCraterhoof Behemoth
2xhound of griselbrand
2xBirds of Paradise'
2XWall of tanglecord

Spells(15)
4xFeed the Pack
3xbeast within
3xfog
3xTraitorous blood
2xRanger's guile

Lands(21)
4x Rootbound crag
10x Forests
7x Plains

Sideboard(15, duh)
2xAutumn's Veil
3xAct of Aggression
10x ???

Hm, does Wild Defiance have a place?

Am I way off with this?

(p.s. i got a little bit of a giggle from including houndes and hellrider, as they seem to fit in a bit with the wolf theme feed the pack has)

If you're dipping red, I think you need some Warstorm surge.
Looks pretty decent so far. If you have traitorous blood in your main board, why do you still have act of aggression in your sideboard?

also, as far as sideboard cards go, you might consider Melira, Sylvok Outcast if you play any infect and Naturalize if you play artifact/enchant heavy (which is fairly common) 

I have played around with Champion of Lambholt, and from my experience, she is best with things that make a lot of creatures spontaneously, so I imagine Feed the Pack would work well. You probably want more than just 2 birds though, considering the mana cost of feed the pack and the fact that you will want to get it out as fast as possible.

EDIT: Oh, and to answer your question, I don't think defiance has a place here, as you will very rarely target creatures with spells yourself. It would only serve as a protection against shock and the like.