theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers : Vima Szet

24 posts / 0 new
Last post

Parade of Planeswalkers   |   Vima Szet

Vima Szet is a native of Rabiah whose belief in might makes right fuels her calculating desire for power. Born in Rabiah under a prophetic sky, she was quickly whisked away to the home of Vizier Givik and lumped together with the other first-born females under the phophet's stars to be raised and trained in the arts of soothsaying. She came under the watchful eye and personal tutelage of the head Vizier when, during the Test of Snakes, she correctly identified the basket with the poisonous snake, and reached in regardless. The bite's searing pain was mixed with an exquisite awakening of her Spark; granting her visions of places and people both known to her and alien to Rabiah itself.

Vima knew little of travelling the planes, but as her power grew, she learned to summon and control these visions of other worlds. She could peer into times and places where people she knew were living different lives and telling different tales. She used this knowledge to spy on persons of power, witnessing their great triumphs within the other shards of Rabiah. Armed with this knowledge, she was able to snake her way into the confidence of a number of wealthy and powerful personages within her own world, selling information to the highest bidder. Her cadre of friends grew large, and included Givik's patron: King Suleiman. With her newfound wealth, she was able to forward her learning of sorcery and other, darker arts.

Givik's gifts were cloudy and weak compared to Vima, but were enough to warn him of impending danger. He foresaw a future with Vima having killed him with snake venom and taken his place. In his own dark counsel he plotted on how to undo the upstart whom he personally trained. Her frequent trips to the estates of neighboring lords would prove opportune. He would kill Vima while she was away at the home of a nearby lord, blaming the death on betrayal. War would be the only answer, and he would curry lost favor with King Suleiman and grow the empire in the process.

In the still of one autumn night, Givik took a hired knife and crossed the rocky hillsides into the neighboring kingdom where Vima had been. He ensorcelled the guards to sleep, and entered the guest room where Vima was staying. Vima was awake and already waiting for him; the floor writing with venomous snakes. The snakes attacked the group and were quickly dispatched by the mercenary and Givik. As the Vizier crept up on Vima, drawing a poisoned knife, a huge pair of fangs bit into the back of the Vizier's neck. Vima had reached through the planes and pulled the soul of the snake into the body of the mercenary. Givik's death came quickly, but not quick enough to rob him of the slow realization of the true meaning of the vision he had.

Vima used Givik's own trick against him; telling King Suleiman that she summoned Givik to the nearby province and that a trap lay for him that the old Vizier could not predict. Suleiman quickly took over the feifdom and appointed Vima his new personal Vizier.

This taste of power sated Vima for a time, but the source of her visions still plagued her, as does the source of its power. She spends her nights searching the reflections of Rabiah for a being that could answer her riddle, and guide her, willingly or no, to even greater power.

[spoiler Vima Szet, Vizier of Venom]
IMAGE(https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2176590/KOR/Vima%20Szet%20Vizier%20of%20Venom.jpg)
[/spoiler]

Comments and criticisms welcome!
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
I get the feeling you recently watched V for Vendetta.

The + ability should probably be set at +1. It keeps her in check a little better.

The -1 ability well, its pretty crazy.consider it could feasibly let you drop something crazy like a praetor on turn 3. I'm not sure that's fun. I'm not sure its likely enough to be un-fun, either. But think it needs to be -2 or prolly -3.

I really like the ultimate! I just feel its a bit powerful to be usable on her second turn.

All in all, I think the ability cost is a little too good, but I really like the card.
You....may be right. :-)
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
I'm not sure the ult is that bad to not be active on her second turn though, but i guess the thought of it didn't excite.
I don't think such concise wording is going to cut it for that -2, sadly. 

Nah, it's totally doable:

701.8d Some spells or abilities may instruct a player to exchange cards in one zone with cards in a
different zone (for example, exiled cards and cards in a player‘s hand). These spells and abilities
work the same as other exchange spells and abilities, except they can exchange the cards only
if all the cards are owned by the same player.

This is important, because an exchange is pretty much the only way to do this ability with two targets and keep it all-or-nothing.

Nah, it's totally doable:

701.8d Some spells or abilities may instruct a player to exchange cards in one zone with cards in a
different zone (for example, exiled cards and cards in a player‘s hand). These spells and abilities
work the same as other exchange spells and abilities, except they can exchange the cards only
if all the cards are owned by the same player.

This is important, because an exchange is pretty much the only way to do this ability with two targets and keep it all-or-nothing.

Woot! Scion wins at rules!
Wow. Well all right then. It's awesome that it works.

Why is goblin welder's oracle wording such a disaster then? 

because it attempts to exchange cards that aren't necessarily own by the same player

which is never the case here coz' the player always own all the cards in his or her graveyard.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]

because it attempts to exchange cards that aren't necessarily own by the same player

which is never the case here coz' the player always own all the cards in his or her graveyard.

The first artifact target is one they control though, not own.
Should her ult be -4?
Should her ult be -4?

Yes. But I really don't rather see coastal piracy as an ultimate. It's way less impressive than overrun and you get that with a monocolor planeswalker of the same cost.

I'd go for something like "whenever you cast a creature spell, draw two cards" and i think it ties in better with the other two abilities as well.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Should her ult be -4?

Yes. But I really don't rather see coastal piracy as an ultimate. It's way less impressive than overrun and you get that with a monocolor planeswalker of the same cost.

I'd go for something like "whenever you cast a creature spell, draw two cards" and i think it ties in better with the other two abilities as well.

Her original ult was +3/+3, deathtouch, flying, trample (at -6 or -7) but I love me some snake umbra so there's that.

One of the things I see is that her +1 is such a sick source of card advantage, her ult has to be something worth giving up a guaranteed creature every turn. Perhaps making an ult that generates card advantage is the wrong way to go.

I'd love to hear suggestions for it. Especially from you, atog. I know you're a guy that can latch onto a story and create wonders.
snake walker! :D

i love her. the +1 is really nice, obviously tracker's instinct is a good card. the -2 might be stupidly good but hey there are better reanimation spells and they're not broken so. this one is repeatable though... and i like the ultimate, turning all of your dudes into snakes. a really nice walker!
I expected more arabian nights references.
I don't get it. What was the prophecy that she ended up fufilling by killing her mentor? THe narrative is severly weakend by the lack of foreshadowing.
Also why'd she purpousefully pick the poisonous snake?
Also I filed out an RPG personality test the way I thought Batman would and got this result:

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/23.jpg)

dissapointing considering the other two results I saw were mundane civilian jobs.

I don't get it. What was the prophecy that she ended up fufilling by killing her mentor? THe narrative is severly weakend by the lack of foreshadowing.
Also why'd she purpousefully pick the poisonous snake?
Also I filed out an RPG personality test the way I thought Batman would and got this result:

dissapointing considering the other two results I saw were mundane civilian jobs.

It's not exactly narrative, more exposition. Just a quick explanation of where the character comes from and what their deal is. It's not something meant to even be at the level of bad fanfiction, just an au jus to the planeswalker sammich. So in essence you're totally right.

The 'prophecy' she fulfills is the vision the mentor had that she would kill him with a snake. He saw the snake 'trap' on the floor and thought this was what his vision foretold. He dispatches them quickly then approaches Vima confidently, as she is unarmed and clothed in a slip, and he's in armor with a weapon and has backup in a hired mercenary. Oops. Hubris does it again.

The snake test is a precognition test in Rabiah where a young initiate is shown a number of covered baskets, and told that one of them has a deadly snake. They are to reveal the poisonous snake by uncovering the other baskets, presuming that their nacent precognitive powers would lead them to safety.

So why did Vima reveal the poisonous snake instead of the others? You'd have to ask her. Perhaps she had her own vision that a snake's bite would unleash her true power. Perhaps it was truly an accident, and happenstance had her reveal the basket. Perhaps her mentor saw danger as well as opportunity in this young pupil, and decided to do away with her in a subtle and totally believable way, putting ALL poisonous snakes in the baskets.

Who knows these things when one cannot see the future?
I expected more arabian nights references.

I'm sorry I didn't put in more. To be fair, the entirety of the Arabian Nights storyline is a colossal retcon to give identity to something that was based on a real-life myth. I still kept true to it though. I put in reference to the thousandfold sharding of Rabiah in giving her the ability to see a thousand futures and pasts. Also touched more on stories as one could imagine the 'arabian' setting of Rabiah to be like, with Viziers, snakes and such.

If you have suggestions to the story or what else to add, I'd love to hear it!
Atog has not posted some more alternate ultimates. That makes me a sad panda. Still, in light of his post and in consideration for making something different than a card-draw engine with both the + ability and the ult, I changed the ultimate to something a touch more synergistic with the rest of her:

You get an emblem with “Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage, put a token copy of that creature onto the battlefield.”

Also cool to think of the flavor of her pulling alternate reality 'you's into being once you've proven yourself in battle. Also fun with all the saboteurs in and

everything is snakes was so much cooler :c
everything is snakes was so much cooler :c

If it makes you feel better, another idea I had (didn't fit in the text) was:

-6: You get an emblem with "Whenever a creature you control deals damage to a player, draw a card." and "At the beginning of your end step, put a 1/1 green Snake creature token onto the battlefield for each card in your hand."
Sorry i'm not as active as before.

are you dead set on emblem creation?

biorhythm make a pretty kick ass ultimate.

-7: Each player's life total becomes the number of creature he or she control

-7: Each player's hand size becomes the number of creatures he or she control. You get an emblem with "At the beginning of your end step, draw until you reach your hand size."

I say what you've got there is really good as well. then again i just really step away from coastal piracy or that plus other stuff. It's just too many words for an effect that's too underwhelmed as an ultimate. really not good for the "word economy - coolness" scale.

Deals damage -> create token is cool too. might get out of hand quickly but i guess that's the point of an ultimate. 

if you really want piracy-type effect, how about "whenever a creature you control deals damage, you draw that much card." that would reflect the green (favor big creature) and black (pure greed) much better than just stealing moderately(piracy).

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Not set on emblem creation. Not really set on much besides a fun, unique and powerful ability that oozes story. Biorhythm definitely is a good one, but I don't think it fits for this walker. I picture some sort of feral druid (not a hunter-type like Garruk) who cranks out two tokens with one ability. It also kinda fails the 'unique' clause, but so did the coastal piracy one. Definitely keeping that one in mind.

I'm fine being away from the coastal piracy. You have a point on the coolness/words ratio. Also I'd stay away from it because her +1 is a card advantage engine. It's basically 'draw a creature card' every turn. Plussing that, why would one care about ultimating into more cards drawn? I figure cranking the bonus a bit, then having something to do with those dudes you're casting is the way to go.
Posted the hi-res version of Vima from my Kingdoms of Rabiah expansion.
Sign In to post comments