Disappointed by Avacyn Restored

119 posts / 0 new
Last post
Despite being out of Magic since Lorwyn, I was planning on coming back for Avacyn Restored. I might have missed Bant and Zendikar but a set about the return of an angel and her kin promised to have a ton of cards I'd love to collect.

Apparently not.

There are cards I like, to be sure, but it killed my enthusiasm when I realised 1/3 are commons and uncommons, 1/3 are rare and 1/3 are mythic rare. Why would I buy a booster pack to maybe get a single card I want? Why would I buy the Angelic Might preconstructed deck when the rarities suggest most of it will still be Humans?

My complaint is not that there are cards I'd like that are Rare or Mythic Rare. My complaint is that the entire tribe is so top heavy that I feel like there is no consolation prize if I get a different one.
Obligatory dissapointment thread :/

They've printed more angels at common and uncommon in this set then they ever have. So, your complaint is, there are cards you like, but you have to buy them? I don't get why the people who are unable/unwilling to put money into a game they like feel they are the ones WotC is supposed to listen to.

And you can't argue that its all to make them money. If Wizards printed any of the Angels we really like at lower rarities the limited format would be a complete joke.
The only reason I could see for being disappointed in this set is if you exclusively play Black (and don't find the idea of Descendant's Path Zombies interesting.) I didn't want to believe the complaints until the full spoiler...I still hope I'm wrong and that some of it gets put to use, but god, poor black.

But besides that, the set looks pretty great to me. Other than the fact that I'll randomly be on the receiving end of back-breaking mircales every two seconds, but that's just Murphy's Law. Soulbound looks fun. A lot of the art is really awesome. There's plenty of new toys to build with. Seems like a good set to me.
Honestly, I'm very happy with AVR, but if I were to have one complaint, it would be the hype and marketing tactics used to excite us for the set. They tried to the prick the thumb of their audience with cards that overtly read powerfully without the context of what they actually do or how they actually play. At the end of spoiler week 1, everyone was sure that this was going to be a gross uberpowerful set, and at the end of the spoiler it feels like a very mean trick to pull on those not used to the hype treadmill.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
They've printed more angels at common and uncommon in this set then they ever have.

Really? By my count there are only five, along with four non-creatures that work with Angels:

Dawn Seraph (C)
Voice of the Provinces (C)
Archangel (U)
Emancipation Angel (U)
Goldnight Redeemer (U)

Scroll of Avacyn (C)
Seraph Sanctuary (C)
Angel's Tomb (U)
Defy Death (U)

So, your complaint is, there are cards you like, but you have to buy them? I don't get why the people who are unable/unwilling to put money into a game they like feel they are the ones WotC is supposed to listen to.

My complaint is that there are cards I like, and I can't buy them. There aren't enough Common and Uncommon Angels to support a tribal preconstructed deck, and neither are there enough that buying boosters is an effective alternative. If I liked Innistrad humans as much as Bant humans that wouldn't be a problem, but if I liked Innistrad humans as much as Bant humans I wouldn't have waited until the third set of the block. Hence why I am disappointed by how things turned out.
Now granted, I almost exclusively play a very odd format which make me value cards very differently, but I'm content. The set has four wrath variants across four colors and tons more spot removal. Miracle is great. Soulbound is a text wall for Lexivore.

Angels get a 2/4 flying lifelink for and Demons get a vanilla 5/3 for , yeah angelphiles totally got robbed...

My complaint is that there are cards I like, and I can't buy them. There aren't enough Common and Uncommon Angels to support a tribal preconstructed deck, and neither are there enough that buying boosters is an effective alternative.

These are your only means of obtaining Magic cards? In what set set would buying boosters ever be an effective alternative to just buying singles. Most of the angels (mythic or otherwise) will end up costing less than a booster in about a month or so.
This is a great set the only thing I'm dissapointed about apart from Cavern of Souls *curses* is the lack of good commons and uncommons for constructed. Most of the playable cards are rares or mythics which isn't great everything else though I'm pretty happy with. I only buy singles anyway so I'm not to worried about the value of a box, although if your wondering if you should buy one I think there are enough money cards in this set to justify buying a box without being too worried about not getting value from it.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

I'm disappointed as well, but for different reasons.  I like a lot of the cards in the set, but I am really upset by the lack of werewolves here.  It's a tribe I really liked, and now we're pretty much forced to play wolves over werewolves.  I get the flavor; I just don't like it.

On top of that, we only got TWO Wolfir.  TWO.  These guys are supposed to be werewolves transformed, and we get TWO.  They gave vampires some nice tools, zombies got a couple of okay cards, as did spirits, but werewolves, the worst of the four, get nerfed like nobody's business?  What the heck?

They should've given more wolf slots to Wolfir, IMO.

Oh well.  I guess I can play humans in any color now.  JOY.
Angels get a 2/4 flying lifelink for and Demons get a vanilla 5/3 for , yeah angelphiles totally got robbed...

"Who-got-screwed-more" is a fool's game. At no point have I said that the set's treatment of Demons in particular or Black in general has been adequate. I have not said much on what they should have received instead, but why would you want me to? Surely "demoniphiles" would have a far better idea what a common or uncommon demon should look like than I do?
Yeah they overdid it with the humans, especially in red. some of those cards I would've prefered to be vampires or wolves.
It just seems like there are so many cards that cost one mana more than they should...and activated abilities that cost 2 mana more.

This is the first set in a very long time that I wish I hadn't pre-ordered a box.
If WOTC keeps printing crap sets like this, I may have to stop this practice.   

"We wlll kill them all."

I'm disappointed as well, but for different reasons.  I like a lot of the cards in the set, but I am really upset by the lack of werewolves here.  It's a tribe I really liked, and now we're pretty much forced to play wolves over werewolves.  I get the flavor; I just don't like it.

On top of that, we only got TWO Wolfir.  TWO.  These guys are supposed to be werewolves transformed, and we get TWO.  They gave vampires some nice tools, zombies got a couple of okay cards, as did spirits, but werewolves, the worst of the four, get nerfed like nobody's business?  What the heck?

They should've given more wolf slots to Wolfir, IMO.

Oh well.  I guess I can play humans in any color now.  JOY.

I completely agree, I had a peruse of the whole spoiler earlier and was shocked to see only 2 Wolfir (although they are nuts).

All in all I'm not liking the look of the set as much as ISD or DKA but I guess I should wait to play it until I make up my mind. I really hate Miracle cards and feel like they took up too many of the rare/mythic spots, I mean some of them are really good and powerful but for some reason I just don't like the mechanic. I do however love Soulbond, thats gonna be really fun to play in Limited and a few of them are constructed playable even.
Miracle just seems . . . Off. MaRo even said that they are relying on the honesty of players to not cheat on it and while you should be able to as a player, a mechanic shouldn't rely on it.

I have an issue with soulbond too in that I only get one set with it and I actually adore the concept and I'm literally frothing to play with it
100th post 29/01/12 500th post 19/05/12 1000th post 19/07/12 How many planeswalkers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
Show
Better question, what does Nicol Bolas want with the lightbulb?
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/25ceed5d20286936a2014d5e9a9026d2.jpg?v=90000)
Does limited look absolutely horrible to anyone else? There are no ways to counter miracle spells. The format looks to be see who gets the better soulbound creatures and that person will win. There isn't much solid removal so it basically seems like the only thing that will matter is if you know what you're doing during the combat steps (good amount of combat tricks and creatures with combat abilities). The format also seems really slow.

"This list much made Niche barf a lil' in his mouth, so I can be proud of that." -rstnme

Overall I have to say that I rate this set well below Dark Ascension and not even in the same league as Innistrad. Maybe I've been spoiled by two AWESOME sets in this block so far but AVR just isn't up to par for me.
Since standard became unacceptably expensive, I have tended to judge a set (narrowly, I admit) on a few things:

(1) how good the set is in draft
(2) how interesting the set is for casual play
(3) whether all the good cards are ridiculously expensive
(4) whether there's too much unplayable jank

Draft

The last time we had a slower, 'bigger spells' set was Rise of the Eldrazi, and that was a great set to draft. I therefore hope this will be fun too. However, unlike Eldrazi, there seems to be fewer answers to this sets bombs, which may mean that the balance between skill and luck may have lurched in favour of luck. We'll see.

The other fear I have is that drafts will become a race to cut white, which becomes a pack lottery.

Otherwise, I welcome slower environments because they tend to be more skill based.

Casual

Miracle and Soulbond are less interesting to me as (a) miracle is just a way of reducing the cost of a spell I can already play, which is fine but nothing new and (b) soulbond is something we've seen before in sliver / ally form, albeit I think this is probably the more thoughtful version we've seen to date. Flickering though is very much the kind of mechanic that I enjoy building around, and was glad to see more undying.

Angel tribal is pretty meh since angels are mostly big creatures that should win you the game without tribal support, but I quite like some of the human tribal cards in red.

Cards I want to Get

There were no multideck staples or "at last, they've printed X" cards for me but I was hugely disappointed to see a tribal land become a cashgrab because of a notion that we need less countermagic in magic. Whether the argument is valid or not, this strikes me as a card that has had all of the downside scraped off the design in order to create a chase rare that dealt with one problem, stapling it to a casual must-have. Why should someone who wants to run a kitchen-table five-color elemental deck have to fork out $100 for a playset of land just because R&D chose not to balance the card properly?

I'm actually glad to see kitchen table mythics coming back into fashion. Nothing jumped out for my decks but its early.

The mythic planeswalker prices are derisory as ever. Fortunately, neither are cards I want. However it sucks for anyone who does want them that the market supports such blatant price inflation.

Jank

The rares contain a lot of creatures that are not jank but simply don't measure up to better versions. I think the uncommons are not as good as the last couple of sets, which doesn't necessarily mean there's lots of jank but does indicate there may be more redundant cards when the dust has settled on the drafts. However, I think the commons are by comparison more interesting and I can see more use for.

@ Wynzerman - Wizards do this every spoiler season now, and it seems to be part of the accepted formula. I think it is partly because there are fewer tournament staples that aren't rare / mythic, and a large proportion of cards being created for limited, so they have to front end the spoilers with the first category. However that's being incredibly charitable about it. The truth is that their marketing is as predatory and misrepresentative as every other corporation out to make a buck.

Overall, I am hopeful for limited, happy about flickering, slightly underwhelmed about the angel theme*, angry about the cashgrab land, pleased with the commons, meh about the uncommons, and undecided about the rest.

angel subtheme*

Is it me or could they have pushed the demons, angels, devils and spirits subtheme a little harder?

Miracle is okay as the angel mechanic, I suppose, except that it is really a topdeck mechanic masquerading as an angel flavoured mechanic. I'd have preferred something like "you may cast this for its miracle cost if one or more creatures are attacking you". Miracle should have been the antithesis of morbid, rather than a way of recycling time walk, wheel of fortune and decree of justice.

Undying is very much a demon mechanic anyway. That's fine, and would have been happy to see more of it. The loner mechanic was just garbage.

Devils touched on the "faustian choice", and that could have been pushed wayyy harder across the board. Vexing Devil is one thing, but what about a 3/3 with "any player may sacrifice all of its lands" or something that really hurt. That's probably a bad example but I'm just thinking there was more space to go there. And that includes Tibalt.

Spirits didn't have a mechanic of their, which is why I'd like to have seen haunt return. Not the crappy narrow guildpact haunt, but a reloaded "haunt target" ability (a pseudo aura rather than the actual auras, which have been underwhelming). Eg:

Spirit of Paradise -
Creature - Spirit
Haunt Forest (when this creature dies, exile it haunting target forest)
: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
Haunted Forest has ": Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."
0/1

Soulbond is fine as a human-centric mechanic, albeit it seemed to be straining at the leash to call itself Soulband. Maybe this is what Ally should have been rather than a very limited tribal gimmick.
One of the worst parts for me is that this set produced one human that is going to make it into my humans deck MAYBE and that's Riders Of Gavony. Even in that case I'm hesitant to cut Thraben Doomsayer for him due to the higher CMC. Deck only runs 20 lands afterall.

My humans deck is "Boros" by the red is only there to flashback Rally The Peasants. Now if I decided to expand the red a bit there might be more options but considering the only dual land I'll have to make that happen will be like $30 at launch I'm not entirely interested in doing that.
Oh yes, and I am massively disappointed that they didn't reprint halo hunter and a white equivalent Hornslayer. All that yakkity yak in Maro's article about bringing back angel themed cards and they missed this angel vs demon moment. Halo Hunter has one ... ONE SET... to shine in. And they fluffed it.
One of the worst parts for me is that this set produced one human that is going to make it into my humans deck MAYBE and that's Riders Of Gavony. Even in that case I'm hesitant to cut Thraben Doomsayer for him due to the higher CMC. Deck only runs 20 lands afterall.

My humans deck is "Boros" by the red is only there to flashback Rally The Peasants. Now if I decided to expand the red a bit there might be more options but considering the only dual land I'll have to make that happen will be like $30 at launch I'm not entirely interested in doing that.

To be fair, if you get them now they'll only set you back like $20, and worst case scenario, you can trade them at more than that if you think they'll go up much.
I think I feel about what Highwayman said about this set.  I'm looking forward to limited (my favorite environment), but you definitely touched on my biggest concerns:  namely luck.  I feel that the miracle cards are really swingy and will totally change the game in a turn.  Luckily, I don't think many in my area are crafty enough to exploit this at prerelease; plus, there isn't enough deck manipulation to really make things significant with setting miracle up.  Which points to the luck factor swingy thing.

Standard typically has the best cards in it at one time.  If they print a weaker set, still, the best cards from each set are played in standard.  But especially in comparison to the last two sets; heck, last 4 sets (including NPH (which had BOMB uncommons) and M12), the uncommons pretty much stink in AVR. 

I feel about a third overall with the set is playable.  Some of it is WTF?  Some of it is Why?  And some is decent.

Edit-  Pet Peeve:  It's soulbond ppl, not soulbound.
The biggest "check it out I win Limited suddenly" miracles are the mythic rares so I don't think they'll destroy Limited.  I'm very excited for this set, but my main complaint is werewolves, which were a very popular tribe, got shafted.  They could've made the wolfir interact in non-obvious ways, but they really didn't.  I don't play werewolves but I think it would've been nice to show the deck some love.
The biggest "check it out I win Limited suddenly" miracles are the mythic rares so I don't think they'll destroy Limited.  I'm very excited for this set, but my main complaint is werewolves, which were a very popular tribe, got shafted.  They could've made the wolfir interact in non-obvious ways, but they really didn't.  I don't play werewolves but I think it would've been nice to show the deck some love.

Indeed. I don't evaluate a set on its flavour so much, but when its good (like, Innistrad good) its a nice bonus. The werewolves were simply absent. I think that's a shame, as the Wolfir could have easily been non-flipping werewolves as a lead off to them becoming more commonly encountered creatures.

I understand AVR was intended to be mechanically distinct from ISD-DKA, but I can't help but feel disappointed that Zombies, Vampires, and Wolves each got about two decent cards
Saying Zombies and Vampires got any usable creatures is a bit of stretch even. Falkenrath Exterminator is cool, but I'm not sure if I'm not just content running Interloper and Child Of Night. Heirs Of Stromkirk is nice but now we're talking 4-drop vampires and Heirs has to hope to be 5th or 6th best in that lineup (top 3 are obvious, but I'd also put it behind Sangromancer and maybe Falkenrath Noble)... The one that exiles and copies is neat but the ability costs 6. For 1 more I can do 10 damage and gain 10 life...

Zombies got....... ?

I guess they both got Cavern Of Souls?

Yes... I don't really see the justification of there being only 2 Wolfir cards.

The problem with this set I find is that there is too much filler that no one really cards about, and is unnecessary. Too many wasted slots. Archangel for example is rather redundant to reprint here, another Wolfir card would have been far better. Limited has many other cards to choose than another fatty angel at 7 CMC.

And I agree with the OP's argument about how they blew the chance to make Angels a more tribally supported race. Okay, sure we don't have to print a lot of low CMC angels, but at least put in some cost reducers that matter -_-. Remember the Eldrazi?! Instead we get a colorless lifegain angel land... that functionally does nothing useful for the average angel deck, and an angel at 5 CMC, Herald of War,... defeats the purpose.

Redundant design and development. Wasted opportunities. The only support that actually mattered that I saw for Angels or Wolves is the Cavern of Souls, but that isn't exactly the best example seeing as that's a glove that fits all.

And again, only 2 Wolfir?! WHERE'S THE LEGENDARY MYTHIC WOLFIR?!

My gosh it really makes no sense. I'll go eat lunch now.
The only reason I could see for being disappointed in this set is if you exclusively play Black (and don't find the idea of Descendant's Path Zombies interesting.)

that's me. 

miracle's pretty cool, and there's synergy with liliana there, so the set's not a complete wash to me, but it's certainly forgettable for the most part.  

The only reason I could see for being disappointed in this set is if you exclusively play Black (and don't find the idea of Descendant's Path Zombies interesting.)

As a green player, I'm also disappointed. I guess the land somehow counts for green, but apart from it and maybe Wolfir Avenger that's it. The rest is utter limited filler and the usual "WINMOAR how can't you be excited at the new most fun card ever?!" cards. Even counting with lowered expectations effect of Dark Ascension, this set fails to deliver. It was nice when someone defined this set as the "lucksack matters set". One needs to trace back to Eventide to find a last set this bland.
If Limited gets in the way of printing good Constructed cards... Screw limited

The set is pretty dull. It feels like a small set that they jammed a whole load of filler in to make it a large set. Design wise, the mechanics are stupid and the set enforces the worst elements of magic as the direction they want to go in. Initial reaction is that this set is one of my least favourites..... ever. Ok, I like it a bit more than homelands, but that's about it.
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/

As a green player, I'm also disappointed. I guess the land somehow counts for green, but apart from it and maybe Wolfir Avenger that's it. The rest is utter limited filler and the usual "WINMOAR how can't you be excited at the new most fun card ever?!" cards. Even counting with lowered expectations effect of Dark Ascension, this set fails to deliver. It was nice when someone defined this set as the "lucksack matters set". One needs to trace back to Eventide to find a last set this bland.

yeah, wow, that is pretty bad.   if it makes you feel better i'm considering seeing about running 1-2  Noxious REvival copies in Grixis and Esper miracle builds.
Saying Zombies and Vampires got any usable creatures is a bit of stretch even. Falkenrath Exterminator is cool, but I'm not sure if I'm not just content running Interloper and Child Of Night. Heirs Of Stromkirk is nice but now we're talking 4-drop vampires and Heirs has to hope to be 5th or 6th best in that lineup (top 3 are obvious, but I'd also put it behind Sangromancer and maybe Falkenrath Noble)... The one that exiles and copies is neat but the ability costs 6. For 1 more I can do 10 damage and gain 10 life...

Zombies got....... ?

I guess they both got Cavern Of Souls?

Dread Slaver is pretty cool and the only competition it faces in it's slot are Grimgrin and Vengeful Pharoah. If you want to play a two-color zombie deck without blue, Slaver seems like it will probably be the way to go for your 5-slot.
Bone Splinters isn't a zombie but it is strong synergistic support.

But yeah, that IS scraping the bottom of the barrel.

AVR offers little-to-nothing for players who don't like Angels and Demons and aren't playing Human tribal.

I have to admit I was pretty disappointed in the number of Zombies and Wolfir. I was really hoping for a stellar 2 drop for Zombies, and we didn't get much. Was also hoping for a Legendary wolf at mythic, but alas... Also not a huge fan of Angels and Demons so that might be part of the reason I am also underwhelmed.
There's always someone complaining after every full set reveal i guess...
 I agree that there are not enough zombies and wolfs (but the two wolfirs we get are really awesome).

White is really powerful in this set.
Blue gets some really cool stuff to work with.
Black has Griselbrand which is a badass card and a few good kill spells.
Overall red seems to be pretty strong, too.
Green got some really awesome creatures like Wolfir Silverheart, Soul of the harvest, Craterhoof Behemoth, Wolfir Avenger and more,

Overall I think AVR is a great set, lots of good cards and great artwork!

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

Eh, I was happier about green than about Black, to be sure. Descendant's path and Wild Defiance both look like fun build-arounds, and the former has real constructed potential IMO. Wolfir Silverheart, Champion of Lambholt and Ulvenwald Tracker all seem interesting too (though I guess most of those are what you're calling win more, given that they're creatures who need other creatures.) Plus Borderland Ranger is back - he's boring, but a cool guy to have available.

If I had to name a color that "won" in AVR though, I think I might pick red. Tons of solid miracles and little dudes, and Zealous Conscripts might be my favorite card in quite some time.
The set as a whole was a miss for me. The flavor disconnect between INN/DKA and AVR is just terrible. Not enough of the flavor from the first two sets of the block is there to really resonate and create the enjoyment I got from INN/DKA. This may have been the case with RoE as well, but I wasn't playing at the time so I cant say for sure.

Now I don't mind the whole Angel vs. Demon theme they have going on with the set, as a matter of fact, I like it. I love seeing more Angel/Demon/Devil cards being printed. I just wish they would have left Innistrad the horror themed block it was and use the Angel vs. Demons theme for a separate block, where the flavor, ideas, and mechanics have the time and support needed to really come together into a successful set.

The mechanics of the set are, in my  opinion, pretty meh.

I actually like Soulbond. It has the ability to be used rather tactfully and adds some more complexity to the game without being confusing.

Miracle, on the other hand, I HATE. I don't believe it will be anywhere near as powerful as people are making it out to be, so my issue isn't there. I just don't like the idea of a mechanic that rewards people for lucky top decks. On top of this, there are very few ways to actually use the mechanic skillfully(like using instant speed draw) and most of the methods of doing so are too much durdle for my taste(Noxious Revival).

I don't particularly dislike the idea of the loner theme they used for some of the cards, I personally think they could have done a better job on most of the "loner" cards to make the "loner" strategy more viable.

The large amount of enchantments in the set disappoints me as well.

As for power level, there are a few good cards here and there for constructed formats, not a lot, but at least a few that will see play.

On an individual card basis, I don't think I have ever been so polarized on a set before. Half of the cards I absolutely adore, the other half I hate with an UNDYING passion. I have a feeling Sigarda and Riders of Gavony are going to make me want to punch people.

Quick Edit: It seems the devs pushing archetypes on us is going to become a common thing. B/W Tokens didnt exist until DKA created it. Seems with AVR they are pushing R/W Humans.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
Miracle: Good, but not sure if the pushed it enough. Some of the cards are really good, but most suck to play for anything other than the miracle cost. Which is extremely disapointing.

Soulbond: I like. There are enough good ones to make some decent combinations, and worth adding to decks. The hexproof and wolfir particularly have some good applications, as do a few other for some decks I run.

Angels and Demons: Never cared for either, and so may of the demons are bad and half the good angels are just unfun and uninteractive.

Flickering and ETB; Love.

Overall the set is fine, and I like it, but I'm not a s thrilled as I wanted to be. I wanted more Wolfir and Gryffs after the build ups, and disappointed about some of the legends that should have had cards but didn't. 
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
This set had some good ideas but the whole thing feels really rushed to me. Maybe that's just a product of the fact it's a large set, but the fact that it's a large set is their fault.
I was so disappointed by the lack of werewolves. I was lookinf forward to a lot of new ones to buff my deck, and when I heard about the wolfir I was extremely excited because it they can be used to boost each other, and I was hoping to see at least 4-5 more Wolfir cards, and form a nice theme deck. There are only two.

I personally think the wizards did a pretty bad job on this set, however, I think they also made up for it with Innistrad, because that is by far my favorite release so far (so much good black/white stuff!). Oh well, hopefully they'll continue the theme with their next set, and we can get some good stuff there.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
The set theme and the way it (supposedly) finished the block were a letdown. The story leaves a bazillion questions as to what is really happening (c'mon WotC, print novels already!) and there is a good bit of unneeded junk in there. However, looking at it as a set of playable cards, you have the typical "commons and uncommons are 90% useless, rares are hit and miss, and the mythics are awesome if played right." The excess of crap in common and uncommon comes from the number of rares and mythics and keeping the percentages good, I figure.

Overall, it isn't a great set, but there are a good bit of usable cards, and those that buy singles will find plenty to purchase. I'm gonna go to the midnight Draft and one, maybe even two, prerelease sealed tourneys, but I enjoy limited play on occasion (and I might open a booster and get something worth the entry fee all at once. At DKA I opened a Sorin and Huntmaster in the same pack!).

I'm not impressed with the story, and the missing wolfir and gryffs is odd if not just annoying, but looking at what there is, the set will work for me in getting some good cards. And I play Magic using cards, not stories, so I'll survive I think.
If I'm right, I'm right. If I'm wrong, I still believe I'm right. Think of it as religion. dubito ergo sum.
The set theme and the way it (supposedly) finished the block were a letdown. The story leaves a bazillion questions as to what is really happening (c'mon WotC, print novels already!) and there is a good bit of unneeded junk in there. However, looking at it as a set of playable cards, you have the typical "commons and uncommons are 90% useless, rares are hit and miss, and the mythics are awesome if played right." The excess of crap in common and uncommon comes from the number of rares and mythics and keeping the percentages good, I figure.

Overall, it isn't a great set, but there are a good bit of usable cards, and those that buy singles will find plenty to purchase. I'm gonna go to the midnight Draft and one, maybe even two, prerelease sealed tourneys, but I enjoy limited play on occasion (and I might open a booster and get something worth the entry fee all at once. At DKA I opened a Sorin and Huntmaster in the same pack!).

I'm not impressed with the story, and the missing wolfir and gryffs is odd if not just annoying, but looking at what there is, the set will work for me in getting some good cards. And I play Magic using cards, not stories, so I'll survive I think.

Agreed, there are a lot of usuable singles in this set, and as a casual gamer this is good. But the whole set doesn't mesh together, as a flavor standpoint it really falls short. They really flopped the wolfir and gryffs, and angels had a good opportunity to become a more playable tribal race, fail. Demons stand alone as always, so thats fine, and storywise they are a receding force anyway with the death of Griselbrand. No one expects devils to be a tribe.

The whole point was supposed to be about the angels, and instead they reprint jank, only usuable in limited (but not even exciting) Archangel, a slot that could have been given to a mythic legendary wolfir, and overflood the place with more humans, which is already the most numerous race in the game.

So fail. This set feels too rushed, and it shows.
Archangel took a white uncommon slot, so it did not take the slot of a mythic legendary wolfir.  Something like Craterhoof Behemoth took that slot.