Wizard (Mage)

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Does anyone have a link that helps explain the Mage's Spellbook?  Are group is new to D&D, and we are using the Character Builder to make our characters.  We can't seem to figure out how the Spellbook works excactly.   Also, we are not playing D&D Essentials, but regular D&D 4th, so I'm not even sure if the Mage will work correctly.  Any insight to this would be helpful, thanks.
Does anyone have a link that helps explain the Mage's Spellbook?  Are group is new to D&D, and we are using the Character Builder to make our characters.  We can't seem to figure out how the Spellbook works excactly.   Also, we are not playing D&D Essentials, but regular D&D 4th, so I'm not even sure if the Mage will work correctly.  Any insight to this would be helpful, thanks.

The PHB1 Wizard's Spellbook feature allows you to select two Daily attack powers and two Utility powers when you would otherwise only be able to select one. At the end of each extended rest, you decide which of the two powers at each level are the powers you can use for that day.

The Mage's Spellbook, in addition to the above, allows the Mage to select an additional Encounter attack power at each level where he gets a choice, and may choose between them at each extended rest. In exchange for this, the Mage does not get Ritual Casting for free nor does he get free Rituals as he levels.

Essentials characters work just fine in a game with "normal" 4E characters unless players with a grudge are purposely trying to sabotage the endeavor.

The PHB1 Wizard's Spellbook feature allows you to select two Daily attack powers and two Utility powers when you would otherwise only be able to select one. At the end of each extended rest, you decide which of the two powers at each level are the powers you can use for that day.

The Mage's Spellbook, in addition to the above, allows the Mage to select an additional Encounter attack power at each level where he gets a choice, and may choose between them at each extended rest. In exchange for this, the Mage does not get Ritual Casting for free nor does he get free Rituals as he levels.

Essentials characters work just fine in a game with "normal" 4E characters unless players with a grudge are purposely trying to sabotage the endeavor.

No grudges here, none of us have ever played.  See, I was going off the Spellbook rules the character creator lists for the Mage, and it doesn't say anything at all about picking two powers instead of one or any of that, thank you for explaining that.  I didn't realize it was the same as the Wizard Spellbook (which we understand), with just a tweak to it.

No grudges here, none of us have ever played.  See, I was going off the Spellbook rules the character creator lists for the Mage, and it doesn't say anything at all about picking two skills instead of one or any of that, thank you for explaining that.  I didn't realize it was the same as the Wizard Spellbook (which we understand), with just a tweak to it.

One thing you do want to do if you are making your Mage through the character builder is to check that little box that says "Show Additional Options." This will give you the full range of spells to choose from instead of just the three options at each level found in Heroes of the Fallen Lands.

Side note: It's "Powers", not "Skills" - Skills are a defined game element in D&D (Stealth, Perception, Athletics,etc.), and calling something a skill when it's not will only confuse you. Not to mention make it harder for others to determine what you're asking about when you have a question.
A wizard or mage's powers in particular are called Spells.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

There is another difference between the PHB1 wizard's and mage's spellbooks. The PHB1 wizard has to replace his older spells if he wants to add new spells to his spellbook at levels 15+. The mage just adds new spells, without losing any old spells.

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

I have two more questions, one is about spellbooks, and one is kind of tied to it but covers something else.

1) Say I pick two powers, powers A and B.  Then I level, and I get to pick two more powers, powers C and D.  When I have a extended rest and reselect my powers, are my choices only AC, AD, BC and BD, or can I also do AB or CD?

2) When you retrain, if you retrain a level 1 power, can you retrain it to a higher level?  Or when you "unlock"/"learn" a new power, is the "slot" the power goes in only able to "hold" a power of your current level or lower when you learn it?
1) Say I pick two powers, powers A and B.  Then I level, and I get to pick two more powers, powers C and D.  When I have a extended rest and reselect my powers, are my choices only AC, AD, BC and BD, or can I also do AB or CD?

If you're a mage, it's [A or B] + [C or D]. If you're a PHB1 wizard, it's [A or B] + [A or B or C or D], with the proviso that you can't choose the same spell twice.

2) When you retrain, if you retrain a level 1 power, can you retrain it to a higher level?  Or when you "unlock"/"learn" a new power, is the "slot" the power goes in only able to "hold" a power of your current level or lower when you learn it?

The latter. A standard level 5 character will have one level 1 daily power and a second daily power that can be either level 1 or level 5. He can't retrain to get two level 5 daily powers.

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

If you're a mage, it's [A or B] + [C or D]. If you're a PHB1 wizard, it's [A or B] + [A or B or C or D], with the proviso that you can't choose the same spell twice.

The latter. A standard level 5 character will have one level 1 daily power and a second daily power that can be either level 1 or level 5. He can't retrain to get two level 5 daily powers.

Thanks!  
Sign In to post comments