Battlemind vs Warden

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello to all,

I am new to the D&D online experience. Prior to this past month, I have never used the character builder app to create a character, it's pretty awesome! This is also my first post on the boards. I'm hoping to get some advice on building a defender for our new campaign.

We have a pretty well-rounded team with a wizard, two strikers, and a shaman. I am one of two defenders, the other is a Genasi Swordmage.

I am trying to decide between the Battlemind and Warden. Any input from anyone about either class would be awesome. Bonus points if you can help me choose a race, too. So far, I've been leaning toward Goliath BM and a Shifter Warden. But again, I'm pretty open to anything.

I'm a little bummed about the point system for the BMs, that seems really prohibitive ... Wardens have a nice range of attacks and defenses ....

Anyway, would love to hear what you all have to say ... Looking forward to some replies.

Thanks!
John

I'm a little bummed about the point system for the BMs, that seems really prohibitive ... Wardens have a nice range of attacks and defenses ....

I'm confused by that statement, because the psionic power points have little to do with the character's attacks and defenses. Or why the psionic power system is more prohibitive than the power system used by Wardens.

Anyways, I recommend the Warden. The Warden is a pretty simple defender to play, and hard to screw up. The Battlemind on the other hand, requires much more system mastery to make effective. 

Co-author on AoA 2-3 and 4-1.

Wow, thanks for the quick reply! I probably should have prefaced the whole thing by saying Battleminds are brand new to me.

Anyway, what I mean about the power points refer to how I think they play into the augmentation system for the BMs. You get 2 points per encounter and each time you augment, it costs as many points as it says ... right?

I like the BM class because it seems like there are many different ways to go with its development by adding new at-wil powers every other level and having overall useful at will powers. I like that this class is very versatile. I want to think that the versatility [once I really understand everything he can do] is worth the time and research.

I don't know much about the Wardens, except that I read some cool abilities they have--a pretty good balance of defense and offense ...

How have your experiences with the Battleminds been? I tend to agree with you, it seems a Warden would be easier to run with ...
Wow, thanks for the quick reply! I probably should have prefaced the whole thing by saying Battleminds are brand new to me.

Anyway, what I mean about the power points refer to how I think they play into the augmentation system for the BMs. You get 2 points per encounter and each time you augment, it costs as many points as it says ... right?

I like the BM class because it seems like there are many different ways to go with its development by adding new at-wil powers every other level and having overall useful at will powers. I like that this class is very versatile. I want to think that the versatility [once I really understand everything he can do] is worth the time and research.

I don't know much about the Wardens, except that I read some cool abilities they have--a pretty good balance of defense and offense ...

How have your experiences with the Battleminds been? I tend to agree with you, it seems a Warden would be easier to run with ...

Power Points effectively turn an at-will into an encounter power.  Thus why you start with just 2 points at 1st level.  However, some of the Battlemind augments end up as game changing powers, specifically Lightning Rush, Forceful Reversal, and Brutal Barrage.  But those take time to get to.

Wardens are sticky, and have decent soft control options like slowing and proning opponents baked in.  Battleminds are mobile, but power selection is a bit limited (3 at-wills and 3 dailies).  I play a Fighter-Battlemind hybrid in my current campaign and love it.

Looking at your party you should be able to use either class.  I might lean toward the Warden myself, as the Swordmage is fairly mobile and the Warden would make a better wall, but between the Shaman's spirit companion, a striker, and whatever you play you should always have enough people to keep the enemies away from the squishies.

Before you decide, take a look at the handbooks and see if you see anything that particularly grabs you, and then have fun with whatever you choose.
Hi Ibaum, thanks for the reply. I'm kind of sold on my Teifling Battlemind. He has a lot of interesting abilities, like being able to teleport and attack someone when attacked. Or attacking an enemy if a member of our group is attacked and I can live with the power point system, I think it's a good way to keep in check.

I'm wondering though if I should take heed of your warning though! About building a wall ... This BM only has one move that can push or pull opponents. No options to knock them prone or slow. This is what you mean, right?

Sorry, but this is clearly my first time as Defender ... Thanks again for your counsel, though, I appreciate all input!
By "a wall", he means that the warden is much better than the battlemind at locking down groups of opponents with mark-punishment mechanics. This is less of an issue if the group has several defenders or defender-equivalents, but a warden would probably be a safer choice if the group has trouble staying coordinated or is likely to face large groups with any frequency, especially if the strikers are ranged-primary or tend to be fragile.

The battlemind is more of a "tech" defender than a reliable group-lockdown defender; if the party is well-coordinated and/or the strikers are reasonably durable and comfortable in melee, it may provide better support.
Very interesting insight, guys, thanks so much for posting! I think I will go for the Warden, but Battleminds still sound really cool and something I'd like to further explore.

Thanks again!
I am similarly new to the boards and somewhat new to D&D. I play a Dragonborn Battlemind (level 6. my first char. ever). I must say, even being not to experienced, I really enjoy playing my battlemind. The different abilities are nice, but at times it can be a little confusing. I like role playing as a defender outside of combat more than anything.
Sign In to post comments