Need advice on which Eberron source books to use for my 4e game

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm thinking about starting up a 4e Eberron campaign after the summer break and have decided to get my hands on as much source material as possible. I have all of the 4e Eberron releases (CG, PG, and Seekers of the Ashen Crown) and I also got a used copy of the 3e Eberron CG. The problem is, I feel like I'm just scratching the surface of this amazing setting and I'd like to get more source books to read over the summer.

So my questions is.... Which other Eberron source books will give me the most value for my reading time? Which ones will help me and my players get into the Eberron world and mindset in best possible way?

I'd like to buy 3 to 4 books and no more. I can get digital PDF's of everything, but I much prefer to read large quantities of material the old fashioned way so I'm going to buy the books and add them to my insanely large D&D book collection.

Thanks for the help!
I'd say it depends on what you want to do in your campaign. Most of the books are specific to a region or a topic and thus, lend themselves better to a campaign focused on one specific thread. Although, I would recommend Dragonmarked for information on the Dragonmarked Houses and Faiths of Eberron to get a good general overview of the religions around (though, take it's descriptions of the Blood of Vol with a grain of salt). Sharn: City of Towers is excellent for getting a detailed look at the inner workings of Sharn, which is always a nice hub city for players, I feel. Player's Guide to Eberron is very good for small-to-medium amounts of information on a wide range of topics, while Magic of Eberron explores aspects of magic in the world that the other books only discuss superficially.

For the world and mindset, my votes go to Dragonmarked, Faiths of Eberron, Player's Guide to Eberron, and either Sharn: City of Towers if you want excellent detail on a single location or Races of Eberron if you're planning on using Warforged, Shifters, or Kalashtar in large quantities.
Call me Ender.

3.5 hardcovers
Eberron Campaign Setting (June 2004)
Sharn: City of Towers (November 2004)
Races of Eberron (April 2005)
Five Nations (July 2005)
Explorer's Handbook (August 2005)
Magic of Eberron (October 2005)
Player's Guide to Eberron (January 2006)
Secrets of Xen'drik (July 2006)
Faiths of Eberron (September 2006)
Dragonmarked (November 2006)
Secrets of Sarlona (February 2007)
The Forge of War (June 2007)
Dragons of Eberron (October 2007)
City of Stormreach (February 2008)
An Adventurer's Guide to Eberron (March 2008)

I copy/pasted the above from here.

Sharn: City of Towers has been a huge asset to all things Sharn in my games.

Races of Eberron has been used primarily as a player resource for how the races interact with the world.

Five Nations is a good one for knowing how differences are between the different countries. This helpes to give a regional flavor.

Explorer's Handbook isn't bad, but honestly I think I only have used it for a few things in a Xen'drik campaign.

Magic of Eberron is a little more crunch than some of the others but definitely has flavor of magic in the world.

Player's Guide to Eberron is a decent resource for what PCs could know. IIRC, there was a little bit more revealed than should have been so watch out just handing it over to players that have a difficult time with metagame knowledge.

Secrets of Xen'drik got me to run an entire campaign in Xen'drik. It was a blast.

Faiths of Eberron is a decent religious resource that I only recently picked up so I can't give too much of an opinion on. It does seem to be a little heavy handed with the stereotype brush-strokes on the Silver Flame.

Dragonmarked is an awesome resource for anyone dealing with dragonmark politics (one of the big reasons I love this setting). I consider this one a must.

Secrets of Sarlona is another I just picked up recently and haven't done much reading of.

The Forge of War makes me want to run a game during the Last War. It is a good resource for those games that are heavily involved with the things related to the War.

Dragons of Eberron I can't find anywhere for a reasonable price. Good luck on that.

City of Stormreach the other book that I don't own. If it is similar in quality to Sharn: City of Towers, then this would be a great resource for many campaigns since Stormreach is such a pivitol city to Xen'drik expeditions and whatnot.

An Adventurer's Guide to Eberron is a nice quick overview book.

With all of the above in mind, my suggestions are dependent upon what most interests you. Personally, most of my campaigns find their way to Sharn...whether I plan on it or not. Dragonmarks are a HUGE part of my games (and the setting for that matter). Five Nations has helped with my politics and interactions. The overview books (Player's Guide to Eberron and Adventurer's Guide) are great for ideas for both players and as a DM with Player's Guide being the meatier of the two. Races of Eberron is also a great resource for racial dynamics.
Ah! I can't believe I forgot Five Nations! That one is definitely invaluable. If you're focusing on action on Khorvaire, combine Five Nations with Dragonmarked and Faiths of Eberron to get a good feel for the different regions, businesses, and populations.
Call me Ender.
Although, I would recommend Dragonmarked for information on the Dragonmarked Houses and Faiths of Eberron to get a good general overview of the religions around...

I do have a somewhat different take on the Silver Flame as suggested by some of my recent blog posts; I'll post on that in more detail sometime in the next few weeks.
ECS 3.5
Sharn: City of Towers
Five Nations

See if you can grab the old Dragonshard articles Keith wrote for free.

Other than that, I wouldn't really bother.  In my experience, the quality and usefulness of the books degraded greatly as time went on.  The first ones were awesome, but the farther on it went, the more they turned into run of the mill "gotta fill X pages" splatbooks.

Races of Eberron was particularly bad.

These are still up here. I remember someone once compiled them into a big PDF, but I don't know if it's available/legal (though given that they are free articles, I don't see why not).

These are still up here. I remember someone once compiled them into a big PDF, but I don't know if it's available/legal (though given that they are free articles, I don't see why not).

Is that the Grand History or something else?
Is that the Grand History or something else?

No, this was just all the Dragonshard articles collected in a single PDF - no more, no less.
Hmm. I was contemplating printing them all and attempting to organize them into binders or something. That would definitely save me some time.

I would love for someone to post a link (or PM me if more comfortable). 
Google says:

www.scribd.com/doc/7469132/The-Grand-His...

I started a project to reformat it (I forget why!) but haven't finished it yet but this is the original, I think ...

Enjoy!

Vaelorn
Google says:

www.scribd.com/doc/7469132/The-Grand-His...

I started a project to reformat it (I forget why!) but haven't finished it yet but this is the original, I think ...

Enjoy!

Vaelorn

That is the Grand Hisstory that I was talking about. Mr. Baker was refering to a PDF of all the Dragonshard documents in one file with no additional information. That Grand History is definitely interesting, but not quite the same thing.