*SPOILERS* Post AVR Esper Walkers

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
so, since most of the set is spoiled, i figured i would look at evolving Esper...here is what i have so far:

it has been showing really well in testing so far, but it is hard to know what the meta will look like then...anyway, any ideas? 

To me, there is no such thing as an evil personality trait or spiritual condition. There is only sin, concrete and deliberate action that is simply wrong. It is what happens when one goes against one's nature. It germinates in the shadow of risks untaken. It ripens in power exorcised. Beings like us can take risks no one else can, and exorcise power no one else has. We have the greatest capacity for sin, through action, or inaction.

57183108 wrote:
56783528 wrote:
Meh, not sure whether this is entirely accurate, at least for concept decks. Sometimes an unrefined idea cannot beat the top dogs at first, but with a few suggestions and heavy playtesting, they might get there. Islands' diamond in the rough lists are a good rebuttal to your statement.
Islands' decks are more gazing into the abyss of madness and madness staring back at you. With Manamorphose.
I'm testing a similar list.

Land: 26
2 Island
3 Plains
5 Swamp
3 Seachrome Coast
1 Darkslick Shores
4 Isolated Chapel
3 Glacial Fortress
2 Drowned Catacomb
3 Evolving Wilds

Planeswalker: 10
2 Liliana of the Veil
2 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
3 Gideon Jura
2 Tamiyo, the Moon Sage
1 Karn Liberated

Spells: 24
1 Batterskull
4 Think Twice
2 Negate
4 Lingering Souls
3 Day of Judgment
1 Terminus
2 Entreat the Angels
3 Tragic Slip
2 Go For the Throat
2 Curse of Death's Hold

Sideboard: (Will change drastically I'm sure)
1 Nihil Spellbomb
1 Batterskull
1 Negate
3 Celestial Purge
3 Timely Reinforcements
1 Day of Judgment
1 Terminus
1 Revoke Existence
2 Memoricide (Cavern of Souls + Primeval Titan = Frown)
1 Curse of Death's Hold

I haven't tested too extensively as of yet, but I have been very impressed with my aggro match-up, most notably RG aggro. This deck poops all over creature strategies. Tamiyo + Gideon is basically a board lock if they can't Oblivion Ring or hit them with burn spells.

Potential problems: The CMC 5 slot is VERY crowded. 8 main deck cards at CMC 5 is a legitimate problem, but I don't feel as if any of them can be sacrificed. Perhaps Batterskull could be moved to the sideboard in favor of... something. Not sure yet.

On Negate vs Mana Leak: I'm not certain Negate is the correct choice. My general line of thought with this decision is that most of the problematic cards for this build seem to be non-creatures. There's plenty of ways to deal with creatures once they hit the board, and I have Memoricide in G2 + G3 against Wolf Run. Needs more testing.
I actually cut batterskull to make room for one of the terminus...also, i have made a few changes to my list today: MD -1 Entreat the Angels +1 Temporal Mastery (I had to try it ) SB: -3 Snapcaster, -1 revoke existance, -1 Mana leak (I NEVER wanted the 4th one), and +2 Druidic satchel, +3 Celestial Purge...I have NO IDEA how i managed to forget purge in the origenal list, and satchel is one of the best cards in the deck against other control decks (and some any burn type red decks you may come across)...snapcaster is really not very good here...i threw him in the board as "more of everything" origenally, but i have made much better use of the space

EDIT: I am interested in the white d00d that gives humans protection from the creature type of your choice...this seems like the kinda deck that could REALLY ude him to trump monster cave
also, talisman seems sweet, but i really dont see room for em...maybe over leaks main :/ 

To me, there is no such thing as an evil personality trait or spiritual condition. There is only sin, concrete and deliberate action that is simply wrong. It is what happens when one goes against one's nature. It germinates in the shadow of risks untaken. It ripens in power exorcised. Beings like us can take risks no one else can, and exorcise power no one else has. We have the greatest capacity for sin, through action, or inaction.

57183108 wrote:
56783528 wrote:
Meh, not sure whether this is entirely accurate, at least for concept decks. Sometimes an unrefined idea cannot beat the top dogs at first, but with a few suggestions and heavy playtesting, they might get there. Islands' diamond in the rough lists are a good rebuttal to your statement.
Islands' decks are more gazing into the abyss of madness and madness staring back at you. With Manamorphose.