coup de grace

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
can you use a coup de grace on a door? or other objects?
thanks, realmaster. let's split up!!!!! RIP Gary Gygax 1938-2008 RIP Dave Arneson 1947-2009 Click here to see my have/want list I have over 90 completed trades on Maxminis, WOTC and Hordelings under the same user name.
It would be irrelevant, since they're immune to critical hits and you can already use a full-round action to get an automatic hit with a regular melee attack against an inanimate object (and presumably one not being carried by a defending creature).  Either way, you just end up doing regular damage.

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Fulminating Crab, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome LurkerIronglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
thanks for the info since objects do not have vital areas they would not be subject to critical hits.
thanks, realmaster. let's split up!!!!! RIP Gary Gygax 1938-2008 RIP Dave Arneson 1947-2009 Click here to see my have/want list I have over 90 completed trades on Maxminis, WOTC and Hordelings under the same user name.
Using Coup de Grace on an object is like using arrows on a gazebo.  You make the fatal slice, or the arrow goes in, and the object is not even bothered by it.

One thing that I stress is that objects do not go away.  The fighter comes up to a door and strikes with his great ax doing a lot of damage.  Fine, I tell him that his blade sinks into the panel of wood and makes a cut all the way through.  The door is still there, but there is a clear gash in it.  Yes, such a character can QUICKLY remove the door (a few rounds), but he does not IMMEDIATELY remove the door.  The better option would have been to open the door, which would have immediately allowed passage (of course, the doors do not always open, and my party considers great axes to be a viable replacement for lock picks).

What does need to be mentioned is that objects posing as door are NOT affected by a coup de grace.  If the door is a mimic, it is NOT helpless.  The creature in fact is ready to act (has a prepared action), so could act BEFORE your blade sinks into the door.  Just because something appears to be helpless does not mean that they are.
Sign In to post comments