Best of Mythgard — Green III, The Final Act

26 posts / 0 new
Last post

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/7/74/Spr_5b_645.png)

Costing 1/G less is the same as costing G less. Edgewalker has to explicitly state that it only reduces colored mana.
At least I think that is correct.

Path to Newland is quite cool, but it's probably busted. Scour the Land on the other hand, compares unfavorably to Impulse.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

The cost reduction ability is composed that way so the spell may cost 1 colorless mana less or one colored mana less. This is important when things like "Change all instances of one colored mana symbol on target spell or permanent to another colored mana symbol of your choice." come into the picture.

Scour the Land is patched.

Design notes and highlights are next, I had to take a few hours to restore my computer. 

For Cantrip, are you editing the rules for it to work?  Currently it does not, due to Break Open.  Also, I don't think the name evokes the flavor you're wanting.  Cantrip already is defined, lexicon-wise, and this doesn't fit it at all.
\o/
The cost reduction ability is composed that way so the spell may cost 1 colorless mana less or one colored mana less. This is important when things like "Change all instances of one colored mana symbol on target spell or permanent to another colored mana symbol of your choice." come into the picture.

You're going to have to engineer a specific scenario where it makes a difference, I can't see it. Reducing it by G reduces the mana cost by either 1 or G. The only time I can realize a functional difference between the wordings is if you specifically want to reduce the generic mana instead of the colored mana, a scenario happening so laughably seldom it's not worth splitting the symbol for.

Yxoque wrote:

Cantrip is an instant and sorcery ability. It will never appear on a creature. Also, if you read it, you'll see that while face-down it's an enchantment. There should never be any confusion with Break Open

I've explained the flavor behind Cantrip before. By definition, Cantrip means a trickery. The current "lexicon" meaning has nothing to do with what the word actually means. Even relative to the D&D term, which has a hard time relating to the actual definition. I've just used the word in proper context.

Opalescence + Godhead of Awe.

The game lets you make permanently typeless permanents, targeting an enchantment with a creature only spell is a cakewalk in comparison.
Edit: Something like Glorious Anthem might be easier, not sure how Godhead of Awe interacts with layers and all.

Yxoque wrote:

...a scenario happening so laughably seldom it's not worth splitting the symbol for.

That's where we do not agree. If it could ever happen, you have to take it into consideration; that's apart of every process in product development. Also, it shows up in a design named Altergate that is to come in the Artifacts III, The Final Act thread.

What do you mean taking into consideration?
There is one scenario, and the only time it is realistic that you would want to do it is if casting the spell using green mana is a bad thing, and the card already has green mana symbols.
Tell me, tell me when this happens. Tell me why this is necessary.
Like, seriously, what the christ.
I thought you cared about asthetics.

Edit: The break open scenario is a million times more likely to ever happen in a game.

Yxoque wrote:

Opalescence + Godhead of Awe.

The game lets you make permanently typeless permanents, targeting an enchantment with a creature only spell is a cakewalk in comparison.
Edit: Something like Glorious Anthem might be easier, not sure how Godhead of Awe interacts with layers and all.

First off, Break Open doesn't appear in the block. Secondly, this is easily solved by the honor system (and is irrelevant in MTGO, which is governed by a automated computer honor system).

Lastly, when a card is turned face up on the battlefield, if it can't exist on the battlefield, it's just put into its owner's graveyard as a state-based effect. 

So if I Retraced Image a Splinter onto the battlefield, you're telling me it would go the graveyard?

Not sure what this computer honor system is.

Yxoque wrote:

What do you mean taking into consideration?
There is one scenario, and the only time it is realistic that you would want to do it is if casting the spell using green mana is a bad thing, and the card already has green mana symbols.
Tell me, tell me when this happens. Tell me why this is necessary.
Like, seriously, what the christ.
I thought you cared about asthetics.

Edit: The break open scenario is a million times more likely to ever happen in a game.

As I've already stated, there is a design in the block that makes it very relevent. To save myself the trouble of arguing with you about this, I'm going to spoil the design ahead of time (in text format w/o flavor-text.)

Altergate from The New Genesis of Mythgard

Altergate
Artifact
Sacrifice ~: Change the text of target spell or permanent by replacing all instances of one basic land type, color word, creature type, or colored mana symbol in that spell or permanents’ text box with another.

As you can see, it's very important for me to cover this senario because it's apart of the block. This means it's going to take precedence in Standard format, block Constructed, and Draft format play.

So if I Retraced Image a Splinter onto the battlefield, you're telling me it would go the graveyard?

Not sure what this computer honor system is.

Only revealed cards have names. Without another design, you can't use Retraced Image to put a copy of Splinter onto the battlefield because you can't get Spliter onto the battlefield face-up without another design that makes it possible.

Computer honor system means the computer does not allow you to cheat, and it makes all the proper checks/actions for the player.

1: Not sure how that card requires the 1/G wording. Changing 1/G to 1/W is the same as changing it from G to W. Changing the mana cost of a card from say 1G to 1W, would make it cost W instead of 1, or in your case, W instead of 1 or potentially G, but there is never a reason why you would want to cast it for G instead of 1.
2: Splintering Wind is the other design.
3: There is nothing illegal about targeting a creature with Break Open, regardless of how it ended up as one. Even if the game automatically handles stuff like that, it still needs to know what to do.

Yxoque wrote:

Lastly, when a card is turned face up on the battlefield, if it can't exist on the battlefield, it's just put into its owner's graveyard as a state-based effect. 

704.5: "List of State Based Actions" would like to disagree with you.

There is no rule for such an action as it is currently impossible for this scenario to exist. Once again, that dastardly Google has foiled your plans...
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
Even if there isn't a rule to date, that's what the rule would state.

I wasn't stating anything about illegal operations. In the event that your face-down, cantrip spell is animated and then targeted with Break Open, it would be put into its owner's graveyard. Otherwise, it's not a creature, it's a face-down card that counts as an enchantement; and only in that case is an illegal operation involved because the face-down card is not a creature.

Then you would also have to radically alter the rulings of face down cards and effects such as Retraced Image.

Also, I'm not sure Seasonal Migration functions as intended. If it does, it's obscenely too good. 
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:
Seasonal migration is definitely undercosted. Even if you remove the (gah I can't call it cantrip) card draw, it should still cost at least .
Seasonal Migration Anti-land destruction design. It works with land-based sacrament spells to a lesser extent and the cycle of uncommon, three land anty creatures. There isn't many peer designs to compare it to. It's also rather narrow, and due to that, there's no reason to limit the design too extensively. Limiting the design to a nonbasic or a basic land only would have given it some added flavor, but mostly only if nonbasic (in relation to nonbasic lands with sac abilities, of which there are none in this set). So personally as it stands (being sorcery speed with a card draw), it's just barely useful. If you use it to net you a card early in the game, you might kick yourself for it later when you need to get a land back and save yourself from disadvantage.

There is no flavor text on this design because there simply was no space for it. It would have made the text off-center and unappealing. To explain its flavor the best I can; as the season's pass away (go to the graveyard), their pirouette inevitably brings them full circle again. A gift to each living person and the chance to start anew, do things different, and live the season once again.

Path to Newland There were two main inspirations that shaped this design (along with the original development criteria); Path to Exile and One with Nature. It's not a complex design, and that's why there isn't much to explain about it. It pulls more than its weight in being useful, effective, an instant staple (juxtaposed with peer designs like Lay of the Land, Land Grant, and Rampant Growth). It doesn't outshine things like Terramorphic Expanse, or other fetch lands (being that they are one-sided and basically free). When nonbasic lands come into the picture, things get more interesting than ever; it potentially does outshine even the fetch lands then. Overall, I feel I did an acceptable job matching the appeal of Path to Exile and One with Nature (which also was a very popular card when it came out).

The flavor text is the primary source of flavor. It relates to those who make no progress because they think they already have it down, but in fact they have not yet reached their maximum potential (which is your only true-self). To become your true-self, to realize your ultimate potential, you must break the illusion you cast on yourself to ascend.

Beseech Wilderness Modal spells are fun to look at, they're fun to play with, but they're not fun to develop. Every element must be in perfect sync; if you overstep a single letter, the text goes off-center and the design is unappealing; if you don't do something interesting, you better make up for it in flavor and usefulness, or it will lose appeal. For this spell cycle, being useful and flavorful was all I demanded of the criteria. This was the last set in the block and doing something unique would have been out of the way, and unnecessary. Uniqueness was covered enough in the "you may choose two" clause anyways. So a "does it all" spell is what we have here. Tokens, life, and power. It's the meat, potatoes, and milk of green. That being said, dinner is served.

Rush Hour To design an Overrun common variant was the plan here. To give it some significant differences, it costs one more, is less color-heavy, and opts the offensive power of trample for the defensive power of vigilance and indestructible. In retrospect of indestructible's power, the pump is small but permanent (in the form of a +1/+1 counter). If you've ever been to LA (saying that alone might make you crack at smile). there's some relevance to the hysteria of rush hour in LA and this design. The true flavor of the design is relative to the wildness at the climax (and nearing the end) of the story, when victory for the humans is at hand. The design isn't apart of a "cycle" but a psudo-cycle, in which I take a staple and do an expensive alternate take on it.

Gaea's Wrath Currently, green is the only color missing a board sweep. Given that Gaea is a main character in the story, this was the perfect opportunity to base one around her. Personally, I feel this an amazing concept to base a green board sweep around. The design itself has been a long-standing work in progress. I haven't been able to get it right over the years until just recently. As it stands now, it works into green by being super expensive and requiring a ton of resource building. Instead of using the terms destroy or exile (popular in the white, red, and black peer designs), I opted for a "shuffle into the library" function. I feel this was great to give it a sense of uniqueness opposed to the redundancy of most other board sweeping spells.

Having cantrip was a strategic decision I made; a counter-weight in measure against hand disruption and the spell itself having a high CMC. Flavor-wise, cantrip on this design relates to feminine psychology. Women are well know to be especially secretive. They tend to operate from their subconscious mind. This is a defensive measure and it literally means, they keep their true thoughts and feelings to themselves; only revealing their true nature when they feel they absolutely need to, or when they are absolutely comfortable in doing so. In summery, you can't see through her poooooker-face. :3

Scour the Land This color-bleed spell was implemented to give an alternate measure to a "draw cards" spells. I already have enough "draw cards" functions and I needed something that works with them. Of course, a land-based scry effect gives the ability some flavorful justification and appeal power. Being the only instant spell in the block, it's appropriately costed in measure of that. I didn't mind it being a bit under-powered given all these elements (it still would have made an awesome draft design), but since someone pointed it out, I added the "choose one and put it into your hand" clause and I like it even more now.

Bestial Rage One of five in a color-shifted aura cycle, it's counterpart being Dust Corona. In researching the possible choices, I decided this one was the best because it matched up perfectly with things green already does and things green is weak against. There was also justifiable flavor in the sense of a flying creature's timid nature when it comes to enraged land dwelling creatures. In the event of a conflict, the flying creature doesn't stick around, it generally takes flight from danger. Even a dragon will take flight and take cover when faced with another creature powerful enough to give reason in doing so. It's the basic nature of any flying creature to do this and it's relative to the counter-stance, back-step, side-step, or other evasive maneuver a grounded creature takes.

Briar Embrace This spell is apart of a very interesting cycle that was designed as a development experiment. I implemented many experimental functions in my second block (Bloodlines of the Orient). The purpose of these is to simply and actively prove theories I have on design and development when applied to game-play. In the re-development process of the Mythgard (which came after the first re-development process of Bloodlines), I added experimental functions to further prove theories I didn't cover in Bloodlines. In order to do this, I had to scrap the original cycle of multi-function counter-based enchantments, but that cycle was too over-the-top anyways.

Similar to this cycle, there was no significant difference enough to warrant against the implementation of a casting-based cost reduction cycle of the same operation. I feel at best, these are strong draft format designs. Which is generally great because draft makes up such a huge percentage of Standard play. Being something as simple as an amplifier speeds up any game with ease and being an enchantment in form makes it a unique implementation for any given strategy. Because enchantment is a weak permanent type, and normally only very powerful enchantments make the cut otherwise.

Sandstorm Wall This simple design is the counterpart of Angelic Wall. A color-shifted wall cycle was the basis of therein. I still feel this is a very fun and appealing cycle. It adds some sweetness to draft format play especially (the likeliest home for a basic wall creature in a deck). Based around nature, the wall explains itself so well, there is no need to go into details. And as always, extensively detailed (and witty in this case) flavor-text makes up for the blandness of the design otherwise.

Chupacabra A fun creature type. This was a very last minute patch of a flying, defensive, first blood creature. I omitted design because it no longer had any relevance in the set/block due to other patches. This new design was quickly thrown together to be simple and effective. The fun creature type adds instant nostalgic cryptid appeal. As I matched the abilities to its lore, I'm adding some new details to it as well. These are born from wolves who attack Devil creatures. The wolves' genetic properties are manipulated by the physical radiation of the Devil's body, and chemical properties in the Devil's blood. It turns them from instinctive killers, into intentional killers (by granting them an intelligent malicious nature). This is by the effect of their amplified mental capacity, which sharpens their ability to think, remember, and interact with other intelligent life.

Enraged Earth During the dev. process in the green section, I reserved the first blood ability to non-human creatures. It doesn't belong to the Druid's nature at all. Not a bad thing either, because this encourages more dynamic deck possibilities (it makes well for draft format too). This is because in draft, you tend to take whatever you can, and are lucky if you can get anything you need. Generally, you end up with a mix-match of creatures and spells. Simply regenerate and first blood together make an interesting combination of abilities. There are plenty of utilities in the over-world of content that make it extraordinary too, but these utilities also exist within the block itself.

Hexadragon Traditional lore of dragons is fraught with tales of treasure nabbing and hording. Not to mention, dragons of many different shapes and sizes. This dragon here is like Doppelganger meets Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. First blood was the first idea for the design. Next was some type of permanent stealing (treasure nabbing/hording) ability. And lastly I had to balance it all in green with a function that logically made sense. The "attacking alone" clause is in measure of fairness and to be used in combination with first blood while also being a drawback. Waiting until the end step gives some extra response time in measure of a counter-tactic. And the "gain control of target tapped creature" supports the flavor first blood (blocking creatures tap), provides balance by being a drawback, and provides flavor appeal (it nabs a resource that has been knocked down and runs away with it).

Seasonal Migration
Anti-land destruction design. It works with land-based sacrament spells to a lesser extent and the cycle of uncommon, three land anty creatures. There isn't many peer designs to compare it to. It's also rather narrow, and due to that, there's no reason to limit the design too extensively. Limiting the design to a nonbasic or a basic land only would have given it some added flavor, but mostly only if nonbasic (in relation to nonbasic lands with sac abilities, of which there are none in this set). So personally as it stands (being sorcery speed with a card draw), it's just barely useful. If you use it to net you a card early in the game, you might kick yourself for it later when you need to get a land back and save yourself from disadvantage.

There is no flavor text on this design because there simply was no space for it. It would have made the text off-center and unappealing. To explain its flavor the best I can; as the season's pass away (go to the graveyard), their pirouette inevitably brings them full circle again. A gift to each living person and the chance to start anew, do things different, and live the season once again.

Have you never played constructed... ever? Ever this card is ridiculous. It's straight up card advantage and accel. Not to mention the infinite amount of tricks that can be pulled with it. Anti-land destruction? Quite the opposite. Boom // Bust would never be better. Wasteland becomes independant of Crucible of Worlds...

p.s. For your run of the mill deck, Fetch lands are close to the most played lands of all Eternal formats. 
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:
I think Sandstorm Wall is awesome, for what it's worth.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

To put it into perspective, reducing a mana cost by 1/G is the same as adding 1/G to your mana pool, and I assume there is a reason all your designs aren't doing that.

Yxoque wrote:

@Mown I do use the colorless/colored hybrid symbol in other designs. Amisa of the Royal Elite is an example. The 1/Color hybrid symbol is a bit rarer to be seen. It's basically to cover bases so things run smoothly. I don't see the point in arguing over it too much, it's not a big deal really.

@eeyong Anyother designs that you might like? And you're talking about Sandstorm Wall's flavor-text, right? 

@iamajellydonut If you could encorperate that into the same deck as Wasteland, or any non standard deck, I would be rather impressed. It might have a place in highlander's world (if it's true highlander, not those immitation ones with mutiple "four copies of" highlander decks), but even then, only one copy doesn't break the bank. It's useful, but green currently lacks a very solid common one drop that nets you a card. It shouldn't be left out. The closest it has to date is Gaea's Blessing. I'm sure it plays as barely useful in the block and that's what matters the most.

Doesn't anyone have any other comments? I've provided lots of detail here. You don't have to limit your posts to restating the same arguments everytime. In advanced response to any "but you don't listen to what we say" or "you didn't do what we told you to do" comments, I've given solid enough reason behind why I haven't and/or won't do so, it would be pointless to state that.

@Mown I do use the colorless/colored hybrid symbol in other designs. Amisa of the Royal Elite is an example. The 1/Color hybrid symbol is a bit rarer to be seen. It's basically to cover bases so things run smoothly. I don't see the point in arguing over it too much, it's not a big deal really.

Because it doesn't do anything to the card, it gives it no new functionality. I can't possibly imagine a single scenario in all of Magic where it actually makes a difference, including the artifact you posted and a quite large knowledge of various cards. You just said "look at this card, it cares", but it really doesn't.

Yxoque wrote:

@Mown If the enchantment simply used colored mana symbols, it would only reduce the colored costs of a spell. For example, a spell that costs , can only be reduced by one mana with the enchantment (one green mana). By using hybrid symbols, the enchantment can reduce the cost of the spell by , because it can reduce both colored and colorless costs, thus giving it a fuller range. 

As far as multicolor is concerned, the enchantement can be used to reduce any color-heavy costs of multicolor spells. It can gain counters through the casting of hybrid and simply costed multicolor spells, then you can use the enchantment to cast out a multicolor spell you have which normally you wouldn't meet the color-heavy requirments for. Likewise, if it only reduced spells by colorless mana, you wouldn't be able to shave off colored mana from color-heavy mana costs. 

For example, you have two forests, an island, and this enchantment. You cast a spell that costs :gum:, then a spell that costs :gum:. Now you can use the enchantment to cast your Voidslime, which normally you'd be unable to do because of its color-heavy cost; or you can use it to reduce the cost of your Simic Sky Swallower by , which you would only be able to reduce by one green mana otherwise.

Lastly, if the enchantment only reduced spells by colored mana, the artifact I posted can be used to change the colored mana symbol on the enchantment and potentially make it worthless. By using hybrid symbols, even if the mana symbol is changed, you can still use it to reduce the cost of your spells by colorless mana.

Since my posts have indicated that I think otherwise on the rules, starting with the very first post, if you just pointed out that from the beginning, it would be a heck of a lot easier.

6/15/2010
If an effect (such as the one from Lodestone Golem) imposes an additional generic mana cost to casting Khalni Hydra, the Hydra's ability will reduce it too. It'll reduce the amount of green mana you need to spend first, though.

tl;dr: If your spell costs G less to cast, it will try to reduce the cost by G. If it fails to do that, it will reduce a generic mana instead.

Edit: Found the rule.

117.7b If a cost is reduced by an amount of colored mana that exceeds its mana component of that color, the cost's mana component of that color is reduced to nothing and the cost's generic mana component is reduced by the difference.

Yxoque wrote:

Sign In to post comments