solo campaign Warlock

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
My brother is wanting to play a warlock for Keep of the Shadowfell. It's going to be a solo campaign and I will be DM. I was wondering which PHB pact would be the best for this task, since I only have the first 2 handbooks. I think he was looking at a Deva for race, and the scourge lock build. Any suggestions are welcome as I am unfamiliar with the warlock class.
Tiefling Hell'lock. Focus on THP generating to keep him alive.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..

Is there a link to a build of this nature? I can't seem to find one using the search button, and I have no idea what a "hell lock" entails.
Hexblades work, too.

I'd recomend mc for heals, and theme for more survival, something like fey beast tamer.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome

Is there a link to a build of this nature? I can't seem to find one using the search button, and I have no idea what a "hell lock" entails.

Hell-locks are just forum shorthand for an Infernal Pact warlock... Their pact boon gives them temporary hit points when something they've cursed dies. Tieflings make excellent hell-locks since they have a great deal of racial feat support for fire powers, which are the hell-lock's main schtick. (However, if you only have the PHB 1 & 2, you won't have access to most of that support.)
 The "builds" in the PHB writeups are really just suggestions for what feats and powers to take at first level if you want to play your warlock in a certain fashion - feel free to ignore them if other choices better fit the character.
 Although Infernal pact warlocks are the toughest of the various pacts since they use Constitution for their primary stat and fit the "scourge warlock" archetype pretty well, if your brother is set on playing a deva for his race then you may want to consider the Star pact instead - Devas get an intelligence bonus and the Star pact uses intelligence for its secondary effects. While most warlocks' primarly attack stat (either Con or Charisma) is generally dictated by which pact they choose, a Starlock can choose either one of them since they have powers that key off of both stats.

Also, you might want to consider picking up a DDI subscription, as that will give you access to all the material for the game in one place, as well as use of the online character builder and online compendium.

Just remember that in a solo campaign you have to adjust the difficulty of the encounters downward to account for only having one party member - you may want to consider giving him a companion character (basically a stat-block dressed up as a character, the rules for which are in the DMG 2) or taking the stats for a monster like the Human Rabble from the MM and using them as an NPC companion.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...