Slight Spoilers - The Pact

46 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm hanging up my Snapcasters for the rest of the season and I'm joining Team Tibalt.

Is anyone else with me?

Unlike seasons past, all my brews will be very boring Red dex.

Very boring and very effective.

I'm a man with a plan: Be Linear.

I think I'll have all the tools I need.  I think I'm going to be causing a lot of mayhem.  I think that maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to ignore Lingering Souls.

I fully espect to see awesome Red hate printed and all my hopes to go down the drain though.  

Please don't reprint Timely Reinforcements.  Please don't reprint Timely Reinforcements.

That is all.  I've been a good boy.  

Thanks for Pillar of Flame.  I needed that. 
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
I think I might be with you on this one. Hanging up the Snapcasters is rough, and I still think there may be room for Blue in a Red deck (Snapz and Ravings), but I like the notion of building Red decks that aren't just RDW. Red now has the tools to extend its game to Midrange and Control, and Faithless Looting/Tibalt is what's going to take it there.

Team PMP - Practice Makes Perfect

Team GFG - Good F***ing Game

Disclaimer: This member may or may not be associated with Team GFG in any other regard besides his admiration of its members.

Use faith in the absence of science, not in its stead.

Red now has the tools to extend its game to Midrange and Control

Possibly, but I'll be trying to kill my opponent quickly.   The faster the better.  It will feel good punishing mulligans aggressively again.
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
chapin put it best when he commentated with kibler recently:
"If I had a button that said 'draw a card, discard a card at random' that I could press and do it, I'd be doing it all the time." 

Tibalt is sick, and Hero of Oxid Ridge is pretty due to make a comeback. I'll gladly play Tibalt in a mono red deck, because I'm sure there will be plently of situations where I'd rather have another card in my deck than the one in my hand.

Islands, I'm on your boat. 

(at)MrEnglish22

Tibalt isn't a "fast deck" kinda guy.

Agree to disagree.
Show
Threat Diversity. If Shrine were a creature, no one would say it was an insta-include, but since it's an artifact and Wrath or Elesh do nothing to it, it becomes another avenue of attack in a deck with (historically) only 2 methods of attack: Creatures and Burn Spells. Shrine adds a third avenue to attack an opponent from, one that is a must-answer threat and takes a different kind of solution that not all decks have on hand, which can win you the game.

While I don't particularly like Tibalt all THAT much, I will admit that he's really just a mini-Shrine that can't be Grudged, and trades pure power and consistency for an interesting "draw" mechanic, though building around GY recursion or stuff that could really use his discard effect would be even better.

Still, he's another avenue of attack, spreading your opponent's resources even thinner as they try and slow your unending barrage.
Resident Logic Cannon
I'll take your Snapcasters for you.
Is anyone else with me?

I'm in, though I don't see a reason to include tibalt. (ninja edit, though he's going in my pyro ascension modern deck)

I'd rather just lay down more 1 drops and then double up with an increasing vengeance.

I also got my playset of hellriders set to go. I just don't see needing the Hero when I can lay this guy down deal face damage instead.
According to everyone on these forums. You should only play the best decks in whatever format you want. You are a bad player and should just quit if you intend on using anything else.
If I get a job in time I'll definitely see about buying one of your brews, although I tend to play a different deck every couple weeks, tibalt seems very fun, and red decks tend to be cheap so it should be great :D
I'm totally in on using Tibalt.
Is anyone else with me?

I'm in, though I don't see a reason to include tibalt. (ninja edit, though he's going in my pyro ascension modern deck)

I'd rather just lay down more 1 drops and then double up with an increasing vengeance.

I also got my playset of hellriders set to go. I just don't see needing the Hero when I can lay this guy down deal face damage instead.

Increasing Vengeance is a terrible card, and RDW never wants to play it.
Agreed. Vengance would maybe have seen play if the card it copied wasent always YOURS. If it was fork  or reverberate's wording it would be loads better.
"Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead." —Jaya Ballard, task mage
After playing Spirit/Delver last FNM I realized I something....I really miss my original colors of red and/or black, so count me in on this bandwagon.

I agree with what Saidin said about hellriders vs hero. Hellrider still does damage if your opponent has bigger creatures out where the hero just gives battlecry (which is still good).

I currently play in a delver'less meta so I'm personally looking at that dragon for my RDW.
After playing Spirit/Delver last FNM I realized I something....I really miss my original colors of red and/or black, so count me in on this bandwagon.

I agree with what Saidin said about hellriders vs hero. Hellrider still does damage if your opponent has bigger creatures out where the hero just gives battlecry (which is still good).

I currently play in a delver'less meta so I'm personally looking at that dragon for my RDW.

I want to be in your meta. Badly. As for Hellrider v Hero, I vote for Hero, but he's dissapointing because the deck he would be best against (tokens) gets a million ways to work around the Hero.

(at)MrEnglish22

I'm so in. Specially if it includes some brews like BR Sligh.
I miss playing combo decks in Standard.
Agreed. Vengance would maybe have seen play if the card it copied wasent always YOURS. If it was fork  or reverberate's wording it would be loads better.

Fair enough.

To be honest, I never actually realized that the wording said only your spells. I thought it was just a strictly better reverberate with flashback. The point being though that I just don't see a reason to play Tibalt even in mono red. It gives you a different draw mechanic, congrats. His ult seems to totally not be necessary for the type of deck you build. A) you want to avoid needing to gain controll of everything target player owns because by turn 10 you want to be melting their face anyways and B) on turn 6 you probably would just rather have another burn rather than deal anywhere from probably 3-6 damage. I suppose vs control they will have a loaded hand so its uncounterable damage. But it's still a stretch to use him on every game.

And would you be focusing your burn to remove creatures so they don't kill tibalt? If not then at best it pulls away 1 or 2 attacks from you. If having a planeswalker early was so strong then why has llilana not been used in so many decks, it seems to be her abilities are strictly better than tibalt.

Anyways that's really further than I wanted to take that post, my point being I'm not sure I'm on board with Tibalt. I am on board with mono red though once AVR is out.
According to everyone on these forums. You should only play the best decks in whatever format you want. You are a bad player and should just quit if you intend on using anything else.
I'm taking another look at the combination of fling and Brimstone volley with some of the undying red creatures they got (inc the new hound). Makes that dragon look better if you end up in a token infested area (play the dragon, oh you have a surprise blocker? fling). Do you think the deck would sink or swim? Flinging a Flayer of the Hatebound followed by a volley would be fun as heck. Not too mention it makes a late game Vexing Devil not entirely worthless if they got creatures.
Brian Nelson has joined Team Tibalt guys. Here's a decklist from his premium article today:

Tibalt Flare
Featured by Brad Nelson on 2012-04-22 (Standard) 
As written about in www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/2...
Print this deck!
Maindeck:

Artifacts

Nihil+Spellbomb

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Nihil%2BSpellbomb">Nihil Spellbomb

Ratchet+Bomb

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Ratchet%2BBomb">Ratchet Bomb

Creatures

Phantasmal+Image

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Phantasmal%2BImage">Phantasmal Image

Sun+Titan

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Sun%2BTitan">Sun Titan

Enchantments

Dead+Weight

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Dead%2BWeight">Dead Weight

Oblivion+Ring

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Oblivion%2BRing">Oblivion Ring

Instants

Ancient+Grudge

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Ancient%2BGrudge">Ancient Grudge

Desperate+Ravings

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Desperate%2BRavings">Desperate Ravings

Negate

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Negate">Negate

Legendary Creatures

Elesh+Norn%2C+Grand+Cenobite

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Elesh%2BNorn%252C%2BGrand%2BCenobite">Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite

Planeswalkers

Tibalt%2C+the+Fiend-Blooded

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Tibalt%252C%2Bthe%2BFiend-Blooded">Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded

Sorceries

Faithless+Looting

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Faithless%2BLooting">Faithless Looting

Lingering+Souls

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Lingering%2BSouls">Lingering Souls

Unburial+Rites

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Unburial%2BRites">Unburial Rites

Whipflare

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Whipflare">Whipflare

Basic Lands

Island

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Island">Island

Mountain

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Mountain">Mountain

Plains

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Plains">Plains

Swamp

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Swamp">Swamp

Lands

Blackcleave+Cliffs

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Blackcleave%2BCliffs">Blackcleave Cliffs

Clifftop+Retreat

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Clifftop%2BRetreat">Clifftop Retreat

Copperline+Gorge

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Copperline%2BGorge">Copperline Gorge

Evolving+Wilds

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Evolving%2BWilds">Evolving Wilds

Ghost+Quarter

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Ghost%2BQuarter">Ghost Quarter

Seachrome+Coast

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Seachrome%2BCoast">Seachrome Coast

Shimmering+Grotto

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Shimmering%2BGrotto">Shimmering Grotto

Sulfur+Falls

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Sulfur%2BFalls">Sulfur Falls
Sideboard:

Intangible+Virtue

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Intangible%2BVirtue">Intangible Virtue

Ancient+Grudge

Buy This Card!

Celestial+Purge

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Celestial%2BPurge">Celestial Purge

Negate

Buy This Card!

Ray+of+Revelation

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Ray%2Bof%2BRevelation">Ray of Revelation

Day+of+Judgment

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Day%2Bof%2BJudgment">Day of Judgment

Devil%27s+Play

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Devil%2527s%2BPlay">Devil's Play

Timely+Reinforcements

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Timely%2BReinforcements">Timely Reinforcements

Whipflare

Buy This Card!

Ghost+Quarter

Buy This Card!

@ Magna_Golem the deck seems fun, but might be a little slow in the current standard environment. 

(at)MrEnglish22

A) you want to avoid needing to gain controll of everything target player owns because by turn 10... B) on turn 6

And would you be focusing your burn to remove creatures so they don't kill tibalt? If not then at best it pulls away 1 or 2 attacks from you.

A) His -6 cracks on turn 6.  Not turn 10 
B)  His -4 cracks on turn 4.  Not turn 6. 

[C]) Oh, I tapped your blockers?
Show
 A) you want to avoid needing to gain controll of everything target player owns because by turn 10... B) on turn 6

And would you be focusing your burn to remove creatures so they don't kill tibalt? If not then at best it pulls away 1 or 2 attacks from you.

A) His -6 cracks on turn 6.  Not turn 10 
B)  His -4 cracks on turn 4.  Not turn 6. 

[C]) Oh, I tapped your blockers?

Not to mention that if you're mono-red, Tibalt gives you an Edge on control decks with his abilities and forces other aggro decks to keep you off his ultimate or lose.

Tibalt was primarily made for Mono-Red decks. There's no argument there. I just wish the Flashback Deck could have been a good thing. Too bad Wizards hates anything other than turning dudes sideways.

(at)MrEnglish22

Brian Nelson has joined Team Tibalt guys. Here's a decklist from his premium article today:

Tibalt Flare
Featured by Brad Nelson on 2012-04-22 (Standard) 
As written about in www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/2...
Print this deck!
Maindeck:

Artifacts

Nihil+Spellbomb

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Nihil%2BSpellbomb">Nihil Spellbomb

Ratchet+Bomb

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Ratchet%2BBomb">Ratchet Bomb

Creatures

Phantasmal+Image

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Phantasmal%2BImage">Phantasmal Image

Sun+Titan

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Sun%2BTitan">Sun Titan

Enchantments

Dead+Weight

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Dead%2BWeight">Dead Weight

Oblivion+Ring

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Oblivion%2BRing">Oblivion Ring

Instants

Ancient+Grudge

Buy This Card!

Desperate+Ravings

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Desperate%2BRavings">Desperate Ravings

Negate

Buy This Card!

Legendary Creatures

Elesh+Norn%2C+Grand+Cenobite

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Elesh%2BNorn%252C%2BGrand%2BCenobite">Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite

Planeswalkers

Tibalt%2C+the+Fiend-Blooded

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Tibalt%252C%2Bthe%2BFiend-Blooded">Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded

Sorceries

Faithless+Looting

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Faithless%2BLooting">Faithless Looting

Lingering+Souls

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Lingering%2BSouls">Lingering Souls

Unburial+Rites

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Unburial%2BRites">Unburial Rites

Whipflare

Buy This Card!

Basic Lands

Island

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Island">Island

Mountain

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Mountain">Mountain

Plains

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Plains">Plains

Swamp

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Swamp">Swamp

Lands

Blackcleave+Cliffs

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Blackcleave%2BCliffs">Blackcleave Cliffs

Clifftop+Retreat

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Clifftop%2BRetreat">Clifftop Retreat

Copperline+Gorge

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Copperline%2BGorge">Copperline Gorge

Evolving+Wilds

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Evolving%2BWilds">Evolving Wilds

Ghost+Quarter

Buy This Card!

Seachrome+Coast

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Seachrome%2BCoast">Seachrome Coast

Shimmering+Grotto

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Shimmering%2BGrotto">Shimmering Grotto

Sulfur+Falls

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Sulfur%2BFalls">Sulfur Falls
Sideboard:

Intangible+Virtue

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Intangible%2BVirtue">Intangible Virtue

Ancient+Grudge

Buy This Card!

Celestial+Purge

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Celestial%2BPurge">Celestial Purge

Negate

Buy This Card!

Ray+of+Revelation

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Ray%2Bof%2BRevelation">Ray of Revelation

Day+of+Judgment

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Day%2Bof%2BJudgment">Day of Judgment

Devil%27s+Play

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Devil%2527s%2BPlay">Devil's Play

Timely+Reinforcements

Buy This Card!

" tooltip="Timely%2BReinforcements">Timely Reinforcements

Whipflare

Buy This Card!

Ghost+Quarter

Buy This Card!

@ Magna_Golem the deck seems fun, but might be a little slow in the current standard environment. 

This seems worse in every single way than Esper Flare with Liliana, and that wasn't amazing in the first place.

This seems worse in every single way than Esper Flare with Liliana, and that wasn't amazing in the first place.

I'm not going to disagree, but I do feel like this is a starting point for a control deck with Tibalt. Or possibly Gixis. 

(at)MrEnglish22

Bump and Dump!
Show
Simple Control, no gimmicks.

6 Island
5 Mountain
4 Evolving Wilds
4 Ghost Quarter
4 Sulfur Falls
2 Desolate Lighthouse

Creatures:
3 Snapcaster Mage

Removal:
3 Pillar of Flame
3 Slagstorm
2 Geistflame
2 Whipflare

Counterspells:
4 Mana Leak
3 Dissipate

Draw:
4 Think Twice
3 Desperate Ravings

Walkers:
3 Tibalt, the Fiend Blooded
2 Tamiyo, the Moon Sage

Finishers:
2 Bonfire of the Damned
1 Devil's Play

Engines being Tibalt/Lighthouse for card quality and Ravings/Think Twice for card advantage.

-1 Pillar of Flame, -1 Ravings
+2 Bonfire
Photobucket
-2 ravings
+2 Bonfire of the Damned  I say this in all honety that nuking their side of the field and then burning face when their unprepared alongside all the sweeprs main deck would be better than two more incrimental card advantage cards.

maybe add vapor snag and another devils play to the SB just to inflict more pain
"Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead." —Jaya Ballard, task mage
-2 ravings
+2 Bonfire of the Damned  I say this in all honety that nuking their side of the field and then burning face when their unprepared alongside all the sweeprs main deck would be beeter than two more incrimental card advantage cards.

maybe add vapor snag and another devils play to the SB just to inflict more pain

Vapor Snag is a tempo card. I'm not playing tempo, I'm playing control. Bonfire is certainly in though.
Photobucket
Dunno, sometimes in red I could see the ability to just tempo back a creature and doing 1 along with it to be semi relevant even with a blue backup counter plan. I could very well be wrong tho.
Why bounce when in red you have kill capability?
Photobucket
Cause sometimes you cant always kill things when needed. I know you hold counters in hand for the fatty/trouble cards but sometimes they do slip thru a bigger guy and Tamio cant always be on the field. A way to bounce then counter, or just delay a huge beating, or reset a chapion of the parish may help. I did say snag in the SB btw. I can understand why not main, and am not ever sugesting it main.
Hrrm speaking of SB  maybe Chandras Phoenix after esper tokens or once the SB out the lingering soul/midnight haunting? With the amount of sweepers in this deck and the amount of directionally pointed dmg added to the fact that it doesnt mind hitting the grave at all......
Im digging this card. Heres what Im considering:

Pretty much rdw, but a little hard removal to deal with pesky titans. I like morbid triggers for tragic slip off of vexing devil to the face. Also gets berserker to get big. I really like reforge the soul too. Gas for the late game, and makes a beefy tibalt very scary. Giving them a full grip may make it fringe playable at best, but I at least want to try it for a bit.

-EDIT-
Derp forgot the mana base.
Mudkipz:  uncounterable primeval titan.

G2?

To be quite frank, I don't think they would have that every time, and I think it would be a 1 of. You're dead if Titan sticks regardless of what deck you are anyway, and with this one I don't think its different.
Photobucket
IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/MuTiY.jpg)
Show
I'm a man of my word.
Show
Oh, goodness...Islands, WHERE IS YOUR SHIRT???
Resident Logic Cannon
Oh, goodness...Islands, WHERE IS YOUR SHIRT???

Real men don't need shirts! Ask Tibalt, he only wears one because if he didn't he would blind you with his shear bad-assery.

On a related note.....I wonder how many private messages Islands got from posting a shirtless pic of himself up here.

Well played sir.....well played indeed.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
I would like to add, for RDW, Grim Lavamancer. Seems like he and Tibalt are going to be bff's.
Why are we pretending that RDW is good?

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
Disregard women acquire chase rares.
There are a lot of dudes for whom this is not optional.
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
How;s a 2 drop 1/2, Flying broken? What am I missing?
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.
Why are we pretending that RDW is good?

Because in a meta of aggro-control and ramp, RDW is. I mean... the latter is where sligh first showed up.

And... it's different. If they won't let us play control, then spork 'em! 
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
Sign In to post comments