Countering Changelings?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I am running a Game of Thrones-esque game, in that players are members of a noble house, who scheme and plot to win out over other Houses.

One of my characters is a changeling, so naturally in a politics-heavy game, a changeling could be quite powerful, impersonating ruling members of other Houses, etc.

Does anybody have any recommendations on how I can counter this? Changelings are known to exist in this setting, so its natural that some people would have countermeasures, but I don't want to negate the changelings' abilities entirely.

Any thoughts on how to limit, but not destroy, a changelings' ability to operate in such a game?
Any thoughts on how to limit, but not destroy, a changelings' ability to operate in such a game?

Good security is based on three things: something you are, such as a fingerprint, retina, voice, or DNA; something you have, like a key, badge, or document; something you know, like a code word or specialized knowledge.

In a fantasy world, it's easy enough for the changeling to be what another person IS, duplicating fingerprints, voice, etc. DNA testing isn't likely to be available, but there are probably rituals that can be run to detect whether or not someone is who or what they say. A clever changeling would be aware of such rituals and devices and would avoid them.

Requiring a physical object might be an obstacle, depending on who demands to see it, and how hard it is to obtain. If the object also reacts to what someone is, that's even better.

Knowledge challenges can work. Even under torture someone might not reveal (or even be able to reveal if disciplined or enspelled properly) the code words, and the words would probably change regularly, meaning the information would decay rapidly. Or the captive would reveal false information to trip up an imposter, People in a world with changelings would get used to regularly testing those around them. For instance: dailysciencefiction.com/science-fiction/...

There might be such a thing in your world as "shibboleths," words that someone not intimately familiar with an area and its culture would not know how to pronounce perfectly and which would give a changeling away eventually.

Governments would employ their own changelings, It takes one to know one.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

That should be a blog post, Centauri. I got a ton of ideas just by reading that. Very good advice.

Psionics would be my first go-to in this situation. Maybe a special order of psion eunochs that act as advisers to the most high-ranked in politics, revealing imposters quite handily. I'd say something like, "No changeling has ever slipped the notice of the Order of the Third Eye. Nobody." You just know the player is going to try to be the first and that's fodder for a number of adventures to prepare and execute the plan.

For any decision or adjudication, ask yourself, "Is this going to be fun for everyone?" and "Is this going to lead to the creation of an exciting, memorable story?"

DMs: Dungeon Master 101  |  Session Zero  |  How to Adjudicate Actions  |  No Myth Roleplaying  |  5e Monster Index & Encounter Calculator
Players: Players 101  |  11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer  |  You Are Not Your Character  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs

Content I Created: Adventure Scenarios  |  Actual Play Reports  |  Tools  |  Game Transcripts

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

Thank you, iserith. I'll consider that.

I was going to suggest that all important members of the government be different in some way. If they were all undead (ghosts, say, rather than something really vile) or constructs, you'd think that would stymie efforts to duplicate them. However, the changeling power allows one to take on the appearance of "any Medium humanoid." Technically, ghosts are humanoid. I suppose they could have their brains placed in non-humanoid constructs, but warforged are still humanoid.

The nobles of your world also might simply not be human. Dragons are a popular choice.

If the real movers and shakers were unmimickable, that still leaves the common folk, who still might resort to the above security measures.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

If a changeling is attempting to duplicate a particular person, doesn't it require an opposed bluff vs. insight check (in which the changeling recieves a bonus)?  You might consider giving someone a bonus to insight if they know the impersonated individual well.

Changeling: I am Jaime Lannister, do what I say.
Random Guard: Yep, looks like Jaime Lannister, I'd better do what he says.
Cersei Lannister: Hey, I know my brother pretty well and something seems fishy here!

Someone close to the target could still be fooled, but it would take a better roll than fooling random mooks.

Another fun scenario (although don't use this all the time) is when the changeling runs into the actual person he is pretending to be and they have to argue about who is the real one and try to convince everyone else to believe them. 
I heard that they are making a new video game, where you control the Netherese flying citadel of Sakkors, raining death on your helpless enemies below. Working title: Mythal Command.
Sign In to post comments