grand architect

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is my take on a Grand Architect modern deck let me know what you all think asnd is there anything to make it better?

19  Islands
 2   buried ruin

2   Arcum Dagsson
 4   Grand Architect
 2   Heap Doll
 4   Phantasmal Image
 2   Signal Pest
 2   Vedalken Engineer
 2   Vedalken Mastermind
 3   Wurmcoil Engine

2   Advice from the Fae                        2   Mindslaver
 4   Cancel                                             2   Skeleton Shard
 4   Condesend                                      3   Vedalken Shackles
 1   Flow of Ideas

I really don't see much synergy to be honest my friend. Your card choices seem random. The cards that initially seem bad to me are (big inhale): Advice from the Fae, Condescend, Cancel, Flow of Ideas, skeleton shard, vedalken mastermind, vedalken engineer, signal pest, phantasmal image, heap doll and arcum dagsson... (deep exhale) All those cards just seem either just bad or out of place to me. True that some of them are decent cards, but they just seem mashed together.

I suggest you reconstruct the deck with more synergy in mind. I did a tiny bit of "googling" and found a few ideas for you to start from if you'd like.

4x Grand Architect
4x Pili-pala
4x Azure Mage 

So just from these three cards you can start to see some major synergy start to happen. Nasty combo/blue/control. It's always good to start with some sort of backbone for your deck.

Also it would be good not just to post your decklist, but also a write up of how it plays so we can get a better understanding of how it works.

Well thats my 2 1/2 cents on that. good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions on the cards but I don't see how paying four mana for one card or paying two mana for one mana of any color when flow of ideas is six to cast but I draw a card for each island I control or vedalken engineer tap to add two mana of any one color towards artfacts and artifact abillities I should have made myself clear I am looking to try to make the deck ramp faster
Thanks for the suggestions on the cards but I don't see how paying four mana for one card or paying two mana for one mana of any color when flow of ideas is six to cast but I draw a card for each island I control or vedalken engineer tap to add two mana of any one color towards artfacts and artifact abillities I should have made myself clear I am looking to try to make the deck ramp faster

Pili plus Architect is an infinite mana combo. You get them both out with Pili not having summoning sickness and BAM, you win. Azure Mage is a 2 power for 2 mana creature that lands early enough to maybe buy you time and, if you hit infinite mana, means you win because you get to draw your deck.

Paying six to draw six cards... well, you're gonna get to 4 a lot faster than you get to 6, and with infinite mana it's infinite cards in increments of 1, which means you're not gonna deck yourself when you get low and you're drawing more cards. With a good hand you're looking at t2 pili t3 architect, and then you just make pili blue and go to town. You're not gonna have more than 3 islands out at that point.

Academy Ruins is great in a slaver deck, since worst case scenario you just recycle it every turn and they die to decking.

More lands would be nice, since you HAVE to make it to 3 mana.

More fast mana works.

Something relevant that wins the game when you hit infinite mana but which is also usefull if you're stalling the game could be cool, although you've got slaver in there and Van suggested a draw engine to go with it. BSZ would work for that.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.

here is my problem with flow of ideas. on turn 6, if you drop an island each turn, yes you can (completely tap out) and refill your hand. But it just doesnt fit in your deck.

#1 you have 21 lands with very little card draw at all in your deck. so the odds that you are going to drop a land on turns 1-6 are honestly not that good.

#2 you are using ramp to play your spells (engineer and architect) and that does not synergize with "flow of ideas". to best utilize flow of ideas you want to cast it on turn 6 with 6 islands in play, not on turn 4. For card draw you should consider "Blue-sun Zenith". You can ramp into it with GA and then you get to shuffle it back into your library - i consider this card much more synergistic in your deck at least with the architect.
and everything Cyklown said i agree with
Ok thanx I will check it out I already have the mages but never really saw a use for them
Ok thanx I will check it out I already have the mages but never really saw a use for them
Thanks you guys for the awesome advice I put the cards that you suggested and some DD and now it iis a turn four win
Sorry it is a turn three win now
Why are you using Cancel?  Mana Leak is going to be better at stalling the early game than Cancel, or you could just use Spell Snare since there is a HUGE chunk of Modern threats that are 2cmc.  There is never a good reason to run Cancel in Modern.
As I said I made the changes and put in some DD direct damage I took out the cancels for direct damage
I put 4x banefire in place of the cancels I think they are the best direct damage
Banefire is a decent X spell, but remember that you are going to have to deal with threats along the way, so if you are running red you should probably run Lightning Bolt
I thought about adding lighting bolts but I run into the problem with mana shortage until turn three so I got Turn Aside instead a one blue counter spell
This is my take on a Grand Architect modern deck let me know what you all think asnd is there anything to make it better?

Fixed.

Academy Ruins is awesome with this deck.

With Grand Architect, you should focus on big artifacts.

Thoughtcast is a must, as is Darksteel Citadel
no Vedalken Mastermind. Yes on Master transmuter yes.

Look into Black for Sphinx Summoner. There are other cards as well, but I can't remember them now. Ah! Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas.
I would have killed, literally ended someones life, to NOT have Arrogant Bloodlord riding a giant ant... Good times:
Show
but where DID the other fork come from?
Show
Lord_Zed: I was at my friends house when this happened. He's married and his wife was an excellent baker. She had baked a homemade apple pie the night before. I was hungry, and my friend convinced me to try those low carb monster drinks. Before this day, I had never triend energy drinks before. Boy was I in for a treat. When I tried that first monster, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the taste that it left in my mouth wasn't so good. What was my solution? Drink another! before I could finish drinking that 2nd monster, I felt it already kicking in(these drinks were not very far apart, we're talking minutes here) my friend decided that it was a good idea to whip out that fresh pie his wife made the night before. I didn't know what to do, since I felt incredibly invigorated, and at the same time, freaked out by the rush I was feeling, but I was also hungry, and my friend have me an entire plate with a fork and said "help yourself." He extended his saucer to me, and I cut him a piece of the pie and handed it to him, then I looked at the pie, noticed that the pie was in an aluminum holder, and dumped the entire pie onto my plate and started eating it with 2 forks. I don't know where I found that other fork, it probably came from my friend. Anyhow, his wife wasn't happy, and I was already in magical christmas land. 2 days later, I was in my friends bed and I slept for 14 hours. His wife outlawed my from having any of her baked goods for a while(which sucked because I could just show up at there house, steal some sweets, and leave) and said I couldn't have any energy drinks at her house, unless under close watch. My friend, on the other hand, had to take me out to a steak dinner, because apparently I won a bet where I climbed a tree and didn't die.
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
Zendikar had fetchlands, and Worldwake had manlands. What are the new Scars duals called?
61325265 wrote:
Explosive Peanut Lightning lands. Well, that's just what I call them.
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
i'm just trying to figure out what the point of saying this is. it's just really random.
And so the pot met the kettle.
I have made alot of changes to the deck I will post the new deck later today
I also have a rat deck that I have built for casual but it is both fun and brutal
19 islands
2 buried ruins
4 grand architect
4 phantasmal image
3 azure mage
4 pili-pala
3 wurmcoil engine
1 emrakul, the aeons torn
3 vedalken shackles
2 skeleton shard
1 mindslaver
1 spellbook