Phyrexian Juggernaut

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
What happens to the juggernaut if the controller forgets to attacks? We noticed two players later.
Please Autocard: [c]Phyrexian Juggernaut[/c] = Phyrexian Juggernaut

Nothing happens to the juggernaut, there is nothing on the card that would suggest a consequence if it wasn't able to attack.  Players are responsible for making sure that all requirements are met provided they didn't break any restrictions.  If you forgot to attack at a tournament and it would be relativly simple to back the game up to attack him thats what you'd do.  If it would be too complicated to do so, then you'd leave the game state as is.  Depending on the level of the tournament penalties, for Game Rule Violation and Failure to Maintain Game State might also be handed out.

DCI Level 2 Judge

Rockford, Illinois

If the owner forgets to attack, there are two things that could happen. First, is that the game hasn't proceeded very far, and the game can be 'wound back' to before the illegal attack took place. If an extended time had passed (as you said, two turns later - or, even before the end of the turn depending on what had been cast), then the Juggernaut will not have attacked.

I know, in the old rules, at a non-fnm/casual event, you would get a game rule violation (if it was your juggernaut) and a failure to maintain game state (if it was your opponent's juggernaut), both of which are warnings - with the new IPG, is 'attacks each turn if able' something that a player can miss? Can you not remind your opponent it has to attack?
The new rules in the IPG refer to triggered abilities. I think that the older rules still apply to the Juggernaut's ability.

It's important to note that the IPG tells you not to try any type of partial resolution. For example, you shouldn't just take away 5 life, even if you couldn't have blocked last turn anyway. You'll either back the game up, or you'll play it as it is.

In a more casual setting, it's up to you and your friends whether a partial fix is appropriate. In my group, ettiquette dictates that the player who would lose an advantage volunteers the correction (you might say, "Oh, it's fine, I'll just take away 5 life").

Edit: Or poison counters or put an obvious chump blocker in the grave or whatever.
In my group, ettiquette dictates that the player who would lose an advantage volunteers the correction (you might say, "Oh, it's fine, I'll just take away 5 life").

I'm not sure I undertand this sentence: WHO will loose 5 life?

Sorry we had to increase taxes: my limo needs new tires. (eh! they were two weeks old)

It's just a shortcut we take for "Let's just pretend that your creature attacked last turn and retroactively correct the gamestate." Obviously, this isn't something anyone would ever do in a competitive game, but it's fair enough for casual. So the person who should have been attacked would lose 5 life. Except in this case it'd be poison counters, because Phyrexian Juggernaut has infect. And 5 poison is kind of a lot, so if you had a blocker you'd have blocked.

But I'd never ask an opponent to do something like that when I'm the one who stands to gain the advantage, and I'd be a bit put off if my opponent told me to "just take 5 poison for last turn," which is what I meant about etiquette.
It's just a shortcut we take for "Let's just pretend that your creature attacked last turn and retroactively correct the gamestate." Obviously, this isn't something anyone would ever do in a competitive game, but it's fair enough for casual. So the person who should have been attacked would lose 5 life.

How very odd.
Juggernaut's controller is the player who committed a fault (he/she «forgot» to attack with Jugg),
which -by the way- provided the benefit of an illegetimate 5/5 blocker,
yet you inflict punishment onto someone else.

Do you also punish your cat when the dog poops on the carpet?

Sorry we had to increase taxes: my limo needs new tires. (eh! they were two weeks old)

I don't think of it as a punishment. The Juggernaut was supposed to attack, so we fix it. Normally, this kind of thing would be noticed when you tried to declare it as a blocker. And we wouldn't let you do that; we'd tap the Juggernaut down. If it got any more complex than that though, we'd just forget about trying to correct the game and just play it as it lies.

In a competitive environment, I agree, it makes sense to penalize the player who made the mistake. In our casual games, we're just trying to put the game back to where it would have been if no mistake had been made.

Also, don't worry, I won't expect this kind of thing at, for example, a casual game at a store. I'm talking about games I play at home with friends.
Normally, this kind of thing would be noticed when you tried to declare it as a blocker.

That's exactly the problem: it WON'T be declared as blocker, because opponents WON'T attack facing a 5/5!

The Juggernaut was supposed to attack, so we fix it.

How do you «fix» the fact that this player spent two turns with an untapped 5/5, scaring away would-be attackers?

I don't think of it as a punishment.

Reality is not much concerned about what you think; losing life at Magic IS a punishment (most of the time).   

And casually, the comprehensive rules are worthless anyways. If I'm playing against you in a 100% casual setting, we can start at 529 life, shuffle our graveyards into our libraries when we run out of cards, have 7 attack phases, increase power and toughness of everything by 10, and even use Pokemon cards with some wacky casting cost like and running around the block screaming the lyrics to "I'm a little tea pot" for Charizard.

So the proper fix for any problem at a casual game is... Whatever. *shrug*

Sean Stackhouse Level Two Judge (Yay!) Maine

And casually, the comprehensive rules are worthless anyways. If I'm playing against you in a 100% casual setting, we can start at 529 life, shuffle our graveyards into our libraries when we run out of cards, have 7 attack phases, increase power and toughness of everything by 10, and even use Pokemon cards with some wacky casting cost like and running around the block screaming the lyrics to "I'm a little tea pot" for Charizard.

So the proper fix for any problem at a casual game is... Whatever. *shrug*

Can I join your Playgroup? <3
[c]Forest[/c] gives you Forest

You can join mine! (if you live near Quebec City!)

In fact, you're ALL invited!

You can join mine! (if you live near Quebec City!)

In fact, you're ALL invited!

As much as I'd love to, but I must decline on the grounds of me being continentally challenged.

Tl;dr: I live in Europe.
[c]Forest[/c] gives you Forest
Sign In to post comments