White weenie help

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
New to magic: Friends at work got me in to it, so now im pretty hooked. 

I found a deck that a person created and it was pretty similar to something i wanted to build. We only play at work right now but they wanna do pre-release events etc and start doing Friend type tournaments

Sideboard (optional cards)

Sideboard
2x Elspeth Tirel
1x Mirran Crusader
3x honor of the pure
2x Celestial Purge
1x Gideon's Avenger
2x Grand Abolisher
2x Spirit Mantle
2x Stave Off
2x Timely Reinforcements
2x Dawn Charm 

Does this seem like a pretty good deck, or what could be changed/improved. 
Thank you in advance.  

You have some quality cards in this deck, but it is really not White Weenie.  White Weenie will have a very low and gradual curve that generally tops out at three converted mana cost, and it will be almost all creatures.  Non-creature spells you use will generally be some removal (Path to Exile) and some pump (Honor of the Pure).  Traditionally they are aggro as well, meaning that your primary goal is to attack any time you can and if your creatures die you have many others to take their place.  That said there is a competitive deck in Modern (developed in Legacy) called Death and Taxes that takes the idea of WW, with creature superiority and low cost, but it uses creatures that have a control element to them as well.  While Death and Taxes may not be the deck you want to play, I will post it here to give you an idea of the curve and the creature quality.

Some big things that you need to fix:
-Lower your curve.  This will allow you to run less land and therefor more creatures.  Hero of Bladehold is great, but may too expensive for this deck IMO (though if this is your only 4cmc it might be fine), and Gideon Juraand Sun Titan are just dragging you down.  You should be running about 22 land.
-Do not mix infect creatures and damage creatures.  It means they cannot help eachother and you are making more work for yourself.
-Increase your creature count; you should be running at least 22 creatures.

Some cards you should drop for sure:
Gideon's Avenger: it is too dependant on your opponent playing creatures, and takes too long to get dangerous.
Grand Abolisher: This card looks great in theory, but it is fragile and easy to work around.  Every time I have tried to run it it does great one out of 10 games, and the other times is not much more than a speedbump for my opponent.  I would rather run Ethersworn Canonist or Rule of Law
Angelic Destiny: Auras are almost always a bad idea.  They insure a 2 for 1 when the creature they enchant are removed, and even though AD returns to your hand it is at the top of your curve and will be very taxing to replay.

Some potential replacements:
Student of Warfare: One of the best one-drop creatures in Modern.  It is easily pumped with extra mana, and I have rarely ever had to get it past level two in order for it to be devistating.  3/3 first strike takes out a lot of the common modern creatures and keeps Student in play.
Kitchen Finks:This one is crazy expensive, but there is a reason for that.  If you face a deck running Finks once with an aggro deck you will be sold on it.  It boosts life when it comes in to play.  Has a big enough face to kill the common threats, and when it dies it comes back again to give you more life.  It is the ultimate chump blocker.
Thalia, Guardian of Thraben: This card is enough for some decks to imediatly scoop game one, as they cannot deal with the tax in their main deck.  Those that don't often aim removal at her, which is why you should run at least 3, if not 4, even though it is Legendary.
Path to Exile: It is easy to look at Path and think that it is terrible, as it gives your opponent a land boost, but that is rarely much of a problem, and in a fast aggro deck it should never be a problem.

There are others (like Serra Avenger, Lingering Souls, and Soul's Attendant) that are worth looking at, but the ones I listed are the best of the bunch.

Wow thanks, I'll be looking in to all you suggested and trying to come up with something a bit better. I do appreciate your time. Learned a bit as well which is always a Big + 
You have some quality cards in this deck, but it is really not White Weenie.  White Weenie will have a very low and gradual curve that generally tops out at three converted mana cost, and it will be almost all creatures.  Non-creature spells you use will generally be some removal (Path to Exile) and some pump (Honor of the Pure).  Traditionally they are aggro as well, meaning that your primary goal is to attack any time you can and if your creatures die you have many others to take their place.  That said there is a competitive deck in Modern (developed in Legacy) called Death and Taxes that takes the idea of WW, with creature superiority and low cost, but it uses creatures that have a control element to them as well.  While Death and Taxes may not be the deck you want to play, I will post it here to give you an idea of the curve and the creature quality.

Some big things that you need to fix:
-Lower your curve.  This will allow you to run less land and therefor more creatures.  Hero of Bladehold is great, but may too expensive for this deck IMO (though if this is your only 4cmc it might be fine), and Gideon Juraand Sun Titan are just dragging you down.  You should be running about 22 land.
-Do not mix infect creatures and damage creatures.  It means they cannot help eachother and you are making more work for yourself.
-Increase your creature count; you should be running at least 22 creatures.

Some cards you should drop for sure:
Gideon's Avenger: it is too dependant on your opponent playing creatures, and takes too long to get dangerous.
Grand Abolisher: This card looks great in theory, but it is fragile and easy to work around.  Every time I have tried to run it it does great one out of 10 games, and the other times is not much more than a speedbump for my opponent.  I would rather run Ethersworn Canonist or Rule of Law
Angelic Destiny: Auras are almost always a bad idea.  They insure a 2 for 1 when the creature they enchant are removed, and even though AD returns to your hand it is at the top of your curve and will be very taxing to replay.

Some potential replacements:
Student of Warfare: One of the best one-drop creatures in Modern.  It is easily pumped with extra mana, and I have rarely ever had to get it past level two in order for it to be devistating.  3/3 first strike takes out a lot of the common modern creatures and keeps Student in play.
Kitchen Finks:This one is crazy expensive, but there is a reason for that.  If you face a deck running Finks once with an aggro deck you will be sold on it.  It boosts life when it comes in to play.  Has a big enough face to kill the common threats, and when it dies it comes back again to give you more life.  It is the ultimate chump blocker.
Thalia, Guardian of Thraben: This card is enough for some decks to imediatly scoop game one, as they cannot deal with the tax in their main deck.  Those that don't often aim removal at her, which is why you should run at least 3, if not 4, even though it is Legendary.
Path to Exile: It is easy to look at Path and think that it is terrible, as it gives your opponent a land boost, but that is rarely much of a problem, and in a fast aggro deck it should never be a problem.

There are others (like Serra Avenger, Lingering Souls, and Soul's Attendant) that are worth looking at, but the ones I listed are the best of the bunch.

ya i agree with  this. couldnt have said it any better.
umm...4 squadron hawk are always good
Sign In to post comments