3.5 Shadowcraft Mage

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have read the guides and I am still at a loss. One of the typical tricks people employ being a Shadow Craft Mage is to use Heighten Spell to make Silent Image (along with Earth Spell) a 9th Level in order to take full advantage of Shadow illusion and other abilities. I still have trouble understanding how they do this, considering you are only allowed to add the same metamagic feat once. Am I missing something?
I have read the guides and I am still at a loss. One of the typical tricks people employ being a Shadow Craft Mage is to use Heighten Spell to make Silent Image (along with Earth Spell) a 9th Level in order to take full advantage of Shadow illusion and other abilities. I still have trouble understanding how they do this, considering you are only allowed to add the same metamagic feat once. Am I missing something?

What you're missing is that a single application of Heighten Spell doesn't have to raise the spell's level by just one; it can raise the spell's level to whatever the caster wishes (up to a maximum of 9th level).

Consequently, the limit of only being able to apply a metamagic feat once is not being broken.

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Fulminating Crab, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome LurkerIronglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.

What you're missing is that a single application of Heighten Spell doesn't have to raise the spell's level by just one; it can raise the spell's level to whatever the caster wishes (up to a maximum of 9th level).

Consequently, the limit of only being able to apply a metamagic feat once is not being broken.

*durp face*

Thank you! I have never had a reason to use heighten spell until now I should have read it more carefully.
I'm wondering what the problem is.  Heighten Spell doesn't have any kind of "limit" on how far you can increase a spells effective level provided you have a slot for it.  You can cast a Heightened Charm Person spell in a slot at ANY spell level and enjoy the benenfits (save DC and potentially piercing certain defenses) that would normally come with a higher level spell that normally goes in that slot.

Now there is one VERY important thing to remember about Heighten Spell; it changes the spells level and uses an appropriate spell slot but if you use additional MM feats with it you're still going to need to use a higher level spell slot.  If you use Heighten on a Fireball to up its level to 5th and then want to apply Empower (a +2 slot increase IIRC) to it you will need to use a 7th-level spell slot to cast that spell.  A mistake that some people make (and others try to slip by) is that Heighten spell has its own increase and doesn't just look at what spell slot a spell is put into; some people will try to say that because an Empowered Fireball already uses a 5th-level spell slot that you can use Heighten 'for free' to cast the spell as a 5th-level spell but that is incorrect.

I gathered that much. I didn't initially realize their was no "limit".
I gathered that much. I didn't initially realize their was no "limit".

The fact that Heighten Spell is so versatile in filling spell slot is one thing that can make it good.  I'd even say it is a Sorcerer's good friend because he can use it to boost the save DCs of low level spells to make them relavent instead of needing to spend his precious Known Spell slots to get the higher level version of some spells.

Conversely, most people don't realize that you can memorize lower level spells in higher level spell slots if you wish. Without Heighten, they are still spells of the lower level. So, you can memorize a Fireball (3rd level spells) in a 5th level spell if you want to, but it's still a 3rd level spell. If you were a 10th level wizard with a 13 Int, this might be the only thing you could do with those higher level slots.

==Aelryinth
Fighter vs Warblade analysis http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19573526/Analyzing_the_Fighter_vs_The_Warblade The Lockdown F/20 iconic build http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19856162/A_little_Lock_build_for_you
Conversely, most people don't realize that you can memorize lower level spells in higher level spell slots if you wish. Without Heighten, they are still spells of the lower level. So, you can memorize a Fireball (3rd level spells) in a 5th level spell if you want to, but it's still a 3rd level spell. If you were a 10th level wizard with a 13 Int, this might be the only thing you could do with those higher level slots.

==Aelryinth

That is also true but a small issue here is that Heighten Spell will not change anything.  Your stupid (ok, not really) INT 13 WIZ 10 would probably be using what should be 5th-level spell slots for 3rd-level spells but even if he had Heighten he could not prepare Fireball as a 5th-level spell because he can't cast 5th-level spells.  This should be true of all the MM feats but definitely should hold for Heighten which actual increases a spells level; you need to be able to cast a spell of the slot's level to use MM with it.

Sign In to post comments