Expert DM Competition 36: Create a Theme!

71 posts / 0 new
Last post
XDMC 36: Create a Theme
Welcome to the thirty-sixth Expert Dungeon Master Competition! The primary purpose of the Expert Dungeon Master Competitions is threefold:

• To create a resource for new Dungeon Masters drawing on the vast talent pool of the experienced Dungeon Masters of this forum.

• To create a fun and vibrant competition that is sportsmanlike and friendly.

• To showcase the creativity and talent of Dungeon Masters like you.

ThemePic

The best way to keep informed about the competition is to join the Expert Dungeon Master Competition group. There you can review the rules, archives, and future contest ideas, and get broadcasts telling you when new competitions begin and when results are released!

For this competition, you are asked to produce a character theme that a DM could allow players to choose. There are numerous free resources on the website that can give you sample themes to use as a framework:

Required Elements

In order to enter this competition, your entry must fulfill the following required elements:

• Name. Name the theme.

• Mechanics. Provide all mechanics necessary to integrate the theme into a campaign.

• Flavor. Offer advice on roleplaying a character with this theme.

If you fail to include a required element, you will receive a score of zero in Themes.

Optional Elements

Each entry must include three of the following optional elements:

1. Capricious: Invocation of at least one of the Theme's features is at the DM's discretion, and not the player's.

2. Featureless: At least one of the Theme's features replaces or inhibits a feature from a race or class required to obtain the Theme.

3. Gregarious: The Theme offers benefits solely in social situations.

4. Keyword: All the Theme's features require, enhance, and/or possess a specific keyword other than weapon, implement, or a power source.

5. Moonlighting: The Theme's flavor revolves around a specific non-combat profession.

6. Original: The Theme changes the PC's origin.

7. Prosthetic: At least one of the Theme's features prohibits the character from using magic items that would occupy a specific item slot.

8. Recharging: The Theme contains a power that recharges like a monster power.

9. Skillful: At least one of the Theme's features requires and/or enhances a specific Skill.

10. Terroir: The Theme is more useful in a specific environment, climate, or terrain.

11. Unfriendly: At least one of the Theme's features hinders or harms allies.

12. Weapliment: At least one of the Theme's features requires a specific weapon or implement.

You should list the optional elements you intend your entry to meet. Failure to include this list means the judges will only credit you with those elements they happen to notice.

General Rules

Following are some general rules of the Expert DM Competition. The complete list of rules is in the Expert Dungeon Master Competition Group Wiki.

• Code of Conduct. All entries must comply with the forum's Code of Conduct.

• Contest Duration. Contests usually run for two weeks, beginning with the post announcing the competition. The Coordinator may extend the duration of the contest at his discretion after consulting the other judges for that competition. However, such extensions should be done very rarely.

• Edits Made at Entrants' Own Risk. A judge may download your entry any time after it is submitted. So any edits you make might not be considered by a judge. For this reason, you should submit your entry in as complete a form as possible. Use the preview function liberally. Once winners have been announced, entrants may edit their entries.

• Multiple Entries Prohibited. Each applicant may only submit one entry during the period in which entries may be submitted. Submitting multiple entries disqualifies all entries. Additional entries may be submitted after the competition closes, but they will not be judged.

• Multi-Post Entries Prohibited. Each entry must be contained within a single post. The judges must ignore any subsequent posts.

• Outside Materials Prohibited. Your entry may not include material hosted on a website other than wizards.com and community.wizards.com. Images from your profile gallery may be used. The judges must ignore material hosted on other websites.

• Plagiarism and Peer Reviewing Prohibited. All entries must be the original, exclusive work of the applicant. Entries found to be copying the work of another, or that have been posted for review prior to the close of the competition, will be disqualified.

Judges and Schedule

The contest will run from today through Friday, May 4, 2012. All entries must be submitted no later than 12:00 midnight at the end of that day (Eastern Standard Time). The judges of this contest are ClanBattlerage and wrecan, and the coordinator of this contest is wrecan. Good luck and have fun!!
Questions and Answers

(questions posed by potential entrants and the coordinator's response)

Medalists and Scores

We are pleased to announce the winners of Expert Dungeon Master Competition 36!  The bronze medal goes to:

SpacyRicochet
with
Traveling Arms Dealer!

The silver medal goes to:

Kestralb
with
Amnesia Patient

The gold medal goes to:

Jehojen
with
Half-Golem!!!

Jehojen then becomes our newest Heric DM! Congratulations to all the winners and a special thank to my co-judge, ClanBattlerage.   Please enjoy the carefully tabulated scores below.

Entrant's Entry

Creativity

Usability

Themes

Clarity

Bonus

Total

Jehojen's Half-golem

Kestralb's Amnesia Patent

SpacyRichohet's Travelling Arms Dealer

XaviYago's Chain Fighter

geoffa's Changeling Child

Cool Going to enter this one, got some nice incentives from the optional elements.
Heroic Dungeon Master
Could you explain in some more detail what mechanics are required? Themes from different sources seem to follow different patterns - for example, themes in Heroes of the Elemental Chaos have both features and a few powers, while themes in Dark Sun contain only powers (a total of 8). Will either of these types be accepted?
Either will be accepted.
How specific are we talking on the weapliment requirement? Is it "Requires a Bow", "Requires a Long Bow" or "Requires the Long Bow of Isabou the Archer of the Sands"?
My blog - Forced Movement: Play With Confidence. "I find choice a bit overrated. Once you select a character concept and decide what you want a character to do, most of the choices are made for you. Powers aren't created equal, and there's usually one choice clearly superior to the others. Now this is more true for some classes than others, and the more you optimize the more true it is, but I find it holds." -- thecasualoblivion
How specific are we talking on the weapliment requirement? Is it "Requires a Bow", "Requires a Long Bow" or "Requires the Long Bow of Isabou the Archer of the Sands"?

The intent of the optional was to key the feature to a specific weapon kind, such as a longsword, garrotte, sling, etc.  A weapon group is not acceptable (axe, sword, bow, simple melee, etc.).

That said, if you wanted to tie it to a +6 Holy Avenger Kukri, knock yourself out, though you'll probably lose some points to usability.  
Sorceror: "I'll attack the [solo monster] with Chaos Bolt." Warden: "Don't you ever use encounter powers?!?!?" Sorceror: (casually) "I don't need to." ----------- "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live." - Martin Golding
I agree with ClanBattlerage.
Ok, I guess I'll get the ball rolling here.

------------------------------------------------

Reluctant Adventurer

Requires: Halfling

Description:
Halflings have historically been overlooked and underestimated by the "big people" due to their size and cherubic appearance. For centuries, the other races' antipathy towards those of small stature worked in their favor, excluding them from political intrigues, wars between nations, rampaging dragons and the like. Ever since the last world-altering catastrophe, however, your people have begun to resent their exclusion from world events. They realized that even though they aren't included in world affairs, they can still be affected by them. To that end, many of your people have struck out into the wider world as adventurers and quest-seekers. Slowly, the world has begun to realize that your stout bodies harbor stout minds and hearts as well. Bards are beginning to circulate tales of the bravery of halfling fighting-men, the piety of your devout clerics and the wit and guile of your illusion masters and sorcerors.

You are not one of those heroes.

You grew up in a nice, comfortable hole in a respectable part of your Shire. Your family is well-respected, involved in local politics and generally "normal". You have no interest in questing down cold, nasty dungeons, facing off against brutish monsters or discovering the mysteries of the multiverse. The most dangerous quest you wish to embark upon involves which ale to pair with your next meal. Alas, Fate has different plans for you.

You've been placed upon the path of the adventurer against your better judgement. Perhaps your friends cajoled you into joining them on an ill-conceived trip, or your family's political position requires you to represent them in a foreign land. Whatever the reason, you've found your feet on the road outside your comfortable existance and while you're not happy about it, you feel compelled to see your task through to its completion.

Halfling adventurers have long been known for their ability to avoid attacks due to their smaller size and innate luck. While you share your peoples' lucky nature, you don't share their physical talents. Instead, you've found that you can see disasterous social flubs coming and work to avoid them. You find yourself skilled at remembering that tiny bit of information crucial to the situation. You also have a knack for seeing through deceptions as well as contriving your own untanglable web of lies. You've found that your wit and your tongue are almost as dangerous as the sword at your side; at least, on those times you can draw it from its sheath.

Starting Feature(s)/Powers:
You replace your racial power "Second Chance" with "On Second Thought":

On Second ThoughtRacial Power
Cunning insight and a lucky guess gives you a chance to succeed where others might fail.
Encounter
Immediate Interrupt - Personal
Target:Self
Trigger: You fail a skill check roll.
Effect: You can reroll the check, but you must take the second result. If the check is part of an opposed skill check (e.g. Bluff vs. Insight), you gain bonus to the second roll equal to your Charisma modifier.

Level 5 Feature
You gain a +2 power bonus to Bluff, Insight and Streetwise checks. In addition, you may use the Bluff skill to gain combat advantage or create a diversion to hide as a minor action instead of a standard action.

Level 8 Feature
You may use the Bluff skill to gain combat advantage or create a diversion to hide twice per encounter instead of just once.

Level 10 Feature
The power bonus to Bluff, Insight and Streetwise checks increases to +4.

Optional Powers

Distracting CommentUtility 2
"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!!!"
Encounter Psychic
Standard - Melee 1
Target:One adjacent enemy
Attack:Int, Wis or Cha vs. Will
Hit: The target takes a -2 penalty to its next attack roll.
Effect: One ally adjacent to the target can make a melee basic attack against it as a free action. The target grants combat advantage for this attack.

Cutting RemarksAttack 3
You make vicious remarks concerning your enemy's questionable parentage and focus its rage upon you.
Encounter Psychic
Standard - Melee 1
Hit: Deals psychic damage equal to the modifier of the ability score used to make the attack. In addition, you mark the target.
Effect: As long as you maintain the mark, the target grants combat advantage to your allies. Your allies also gain a power bonus to damage equal to the ability score modifier used with this attack. You may sustain the mark as a standard action.
Sustain: Standard

Duck & CoverUtility 6
You see an incoming attack and grab a nearby ally for protection, causing your attacker to target it instead of you.
Encounter Martial
Standard - Melee 1
Target:One adjacent ally
Trigger: An adjacent enemy makes a melee attack against you.
Effect: You switch places with an adjacent ally and redirect the attack to the ally; the attacker rolls the attack against the ally's defenses.  The attacker grants combat advantage to your ally until the end of its next turn.

Home Away From HomeUtility 6
You may not be much of an adventurer, but you know how to make yourself more comfortable; no matter what the situation.
Encounter - Special
Effect: You and your allies only need to rest for 4 hours to get the benefit of a full extended rest.  In addition, until your next short rest, you and your allies gain +2 to Endurance checks and gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier.

Unfortunate ObservationAttack 7
You innocently point out a particularly embarrassing attribute of your attacker, causing it to go into a rage and chase you around the battlefield.
Encounter Psychic
Standard - Ranged 5
Target:One enemy within range
Hit: Ability modifier psychic damage and you mark the target (save ends). The target makes a basic attack against you as an immediate reaction; charging if possible. You gain a bonus to your defenses versus this attack equal to the ability score modifier used to make the attack. If the attack hits, the mark immediately ends.
Effect: Until the mark ends, you can make a saving throw whenever the marked target attacks you. If you succeed on the saving throw, you can shift 2 squares as an immediate interrupt.

Useful KnowledgeAttack 9
From your vantage point under a table, you study your opponent carefully and realize there's a huge flaw in its defenses. You shout out this information to your allies, which aids their attacks.
Encounter Psychic
Standard - Close burst 5
Target:One enemy in burst
Effect: Make a monster knowledge check vs. the target. The effect depends on how successful you are:
vs. Easy DC: The target grants combat advantage to all attackers until the end of your next turn.
vs. Mod DC: As above, and the target is marked by you until the end of your next turn. In addition, until the end of your next turn, your allies gain a bonus to damage rolls equal to the ability modifier used to make this attack.
vs. Hard DC: As above, and until the end of your next turn, the target takes a penalty to all defenses equal to the ability modifier used to make the knowledge check.

Not in the Face!Utility 10
You see the blow coming, let out a very unheroic shriek, and immediately collapse into a pitious, sobbing fetal position.
Encounter Psychic
Immediate Interrupt - Melee 1
Trigger: An adjacent enemy makes a melee attack against you.
Effect: You immediately fall prone and the attack automatically fails. Until the effect ends, the target must make a saving throw before it can attack you. The target takes a penalty to the saving throw equal to your Charisma modifier. If the saving throw succeeds, the target can attack immediately. The saving throw requirement does not apply to area attacks. This effect ends if you stand up or make an attack.

Optional elements used:

• Featureless

• Skillful

• Unfriendly 

Sorceror: "I'll attack the [solo monster] with Chaos Bolt." Warden: "Don't you ever use encounter powers?!?!?" Sorceror: (casually) "I don't need to." ----------- "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live." - Martin Golding
And the list is updated!
Hello???   [tap tap tap]  Is this thing on?

Surely I'm not going to win the contest as a JUDGE? 
I'm thinking.  I'm just also trying to coax my students through exam week without one of us killing the other.  This may result in a flurry of activity around the end of next week and a last minute entry . . . 
I heard that they are making a new video game, where you control the Netherese flying citadel of Sakkors, raining death on your helpless enemies below. Working title: Mythal Command.
Oooh, a Theme design contest.

I will be participating.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
I've got some stuff in the works too!
My blog - Forced Movement: Play With Confidence. "I find choice a bit overrated. Once you select a character concept and decide what you want a character to do, most of the choices are made for you. Powers aren't created equal, and there's usually one choice clearly superior to the others. Now this is more true for some classes than others, and the more you optimize the more true it is, but I find it holds." -- thecasualoblivion
... I was working on something, and didn't save it. Then murphy's law happened.

... I'll have to try again later, I guess. 
Contest ends on Friday.  Just saying.
Mine will also be a last-minute entry. But I have the idea I'm going to finalize, so rest assured! 
Heroic Dungeon Master
I will also be putting in something at the last minute.
The contest ends in a day and a half (roughly). The time to get last-minute entries in is now.
Working on it right now!

Not sure if it'll be any good though. I'm not good at coming up with my own stuff, my strength lies more in reflavoring and ad-libbing my way around my party's weird actions. 
Heroic Dungeon Master
Just a reminder.  We need four entries to declare a winner.  Five or more entries to give out gold, silver and bronze medals.
Hehe, don't sell yourself short! I'm sure you'll be giving me a run for my money...so long as we both finish on time!
I fear I'll have to cry off.  I just don't have time to get my entry into the shape it needs to be to satisfy me (i.e. I've got... about the next 30 minutes... to devote to going from a hastily-sketched idea, to an entry.  I won't manage.).
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Half-Golem
Perhaps you were badly injured with no healing magic within a fortnight’s travel. Perhaps you were one of the “lucky” soldiers selected for an experimental enhancement program during the war. Or maybe you were kidnapped by an insane cultist and had the process of “purification” started on you before a local hero saved you.
   Whatever the reason, one thing is clear: You are no longer fully living. A part of you has been replaced by a magical construct, and while this piece of you is more powerful than your normal anatomy, it’s not always easy for you to cope. The limb that has been grafted onto your body is large, unsightly, and sometimes moves on its own - often smashing things nearby without your consent.

When a Half-Golem walks into the local tavern or Inn people either stare openly, or turn a disgusted eye to the Half-Golem’s misshapen form. A Half-Golem never really fits in with any group. Even in the company of other outcast races, such as the warforged, or the enigmatic shardminds, a Half-Golem does not feel comradere. These other creatures, that should be like brothers to the Half-Golem, do not fully understand what it means to have been fully alive and to have that life taken away. These other races were created as what they are but a Half-Golem must live with the memory of a life before their transformation.
   Even other Half-Golems don’t fully understand one another. Part of the procedure that created them was to bind a small amount of a chaotic semi-sentient elemental to the non living matter that makes up their prosthetic limb. This chaotic and unpredictable entity is a constant companion to a Half-Golem, it’s half-insane mind constantly mingling with the host’s. Due to this, each Half-Golem’s experience is vastly different, making it hard for the them to relate.
   Due to this isolation most Half-Golems are wanderers, and mixed with the extra abilities granted to them from their limb they tend to be effective adventures.
   Most Half-Golems prefer to wade into combat to take advantage of the benefits they gain from their limb. They also tend to want to be as far from their allies as possible when combat starts, knowing that once they lose control of their elemental companion, it can be dangerous for those around them.

Starting Features:
Rebuilt Anatomy (level 1): The process that you underwent to become a Half-Golem replaced one of your limbs with that of a magical construct and while you are not fully a magical construct, you are no longer fully a living creature either. Unfortunately, this can unsettle some of the people around you.
Benefit: You are a living construct, however you still must eat, sleep and breath. In addition, you take a -2 to diplomacy checks against creatures that would be repulsed by your strange appearance.
   Choose either an arm or a leg that has been replaced and also choose one of the following Golem types: Flesh, Clay, Iron, or Stone. The choice cannot be retrained at higher levels. Depending on which limb was replaced, you lose the ability to wear magical items of a specific type. If you chose an arm, you lose the ability to use hand slot items and if you lost a leg, you can no longer wear feet slot items.
   The limb is a melee weapon with which you are proficient. It is a part of the mace weapon group, deals 1d12 damage, and has a +2 proficiency bonus. If your limb is an arm, you can hold items in it as though it were your hand, but you must not be holding anything when you use it as a weapon. You can use the Enchant Magic Item, Disenchant Magic Item, and Transfer Enchantment rituals on the limb as usual. Using Disenchant Magic Item on the limb does not destroy it.
  In addition, you gain the Slam power.

Elemental Berserk (level 1): The elemental energy that powers your limb is powerful, but also unpredictable. The chaos of such an energy source can sometimes bleed into the living flesh, disrupting the way you think or act.
Benefit: When you become bloodied you you gain resistance 5 per tier to an energy type based on the type of golem limb you have: Flesh - cold, Clay - lightning, Iron - poison, Stone - thunder.
   However, each time you become bloodied, you must also make a saving throw immediately after the damage is resolved. If you fail, the elemental energy of your limb suffuses your flesh throwing you into a Berserk State (save ends). While in this state you must make a melee attack each turn if able and you must take all available opportunity attacks. In addition, you are able to use Slam after a charge and in place of a melee basic attack as part of an opportunity attack. If you cannot attack this round, you must advance toward the nearest enemy. However, while in a Berserk State you cannot fully control yourself and your allies provoke opportunity attacks from you.

Additional Features
Construct Body Infusion (level 5): You have began to truly accept the new limb, and its strength slowly seeps into your flesh.
Benefit: You gain a +1 racial bonus to Fortitude.

Construct Body Synthesis (level 10): You and your new limb have almost become one, and dealing with the presence of the elemental powering the limb is becoming easier every day.
Benefit: Whenever you fall into a Berserk State (see Elemental Berserk), you can spend 1 healing surge to not attack for a round and instead take a different action. You do not regain any HP for using a surge in this way. Also, once per encounter when you take a specific type of damage, you become energized as a free action. The effects of this are dependant on the type of limb you have:

Type of GolemEnergizing Effect
FleshWhen you take lightning damage, you gain a +1 to your next attack roll and deal a critical hit on a 19-20 on that attack roll.
StoneWhen you take thunder damage, you can deal your highest ability score in damage to all creatures adjacent to you. In addition, all spaces adjacent to you become difficult terrain until the end of your next turn.
IronWhen you take fire damage, you can shift 4 squares.
ClayWhen you take cold damage, you gain a +2 bonus to all defenses until the end of your next turn.

Slam  - level 1 Half-Golem Attack
Using the massive strength  of your prosthetic limb, you slam into your foe with unstoppable force.
At-will - Martial, Weapon, Varies
Standard Action    Melee 2
Requirement: You must be wielding your golem limb for this attack
Target: One Creature
Attack: Str, Dex or Con vs AC
Hit: 1[W] + Str, Dex or Con damage. In addition, apply one of the following effects based on the type of golem limb you have:

• Flesh: The target is knocked prone

• Clay: The target cannot regain HP and is slowed (save ends)

• Stone: The target is pushed 1 square

• Iron: Ongoing 5 poison damage per tier (save ends)

Level 21: 2[W] + Str, Dex or Con damage.
Special: While under the effects of Elemental Berserk, you are able to use Slam after a charge and in place of a melee basic attack as part of an opportunity attack.

Golem Rampage level 2 Half-Golem Utility
You momentarily give way to the elemental power bound to your prosthetic limb
Encounter - Elemental
Immediate Reaction   Personal
Trigger: You are hit by an attack while bloodied
Effect: You shift up to your speed +2, and may move through enemies spaces during this shift. If you do move through an enemy, you gain a +2 bonus to melee attack rolls and a bonus to your melee damage rolls against those enemies for your next attack against them. The bonus to damage is equal to your highest ability modifier.
Special: Roll 1d6 after using this attack. On a roll of 5 or 6, recharge this power.

Shared ConsciousnessLevel 6 Half-Golem Utility
You allow the semi-sentient elemental power that infuses your limb to claim your mind, cleansing it of any unwanted influence, but at a cost.
Daily - Elemental
No action  Personal
Trigger: You become dazed, dominated, stunned or are affected by a status effect with the charm keyword
Effect: You immediately make a save against the triggering status effect with a +2 power bonus, even if the status effect does not normally allow a save to end. If you succeed, you are instead put into a Berserk State as per your Elemental Berserk feature (save ends) gaining all the associated benefits and drawbacks of that status effect even if you are not currently bloodied.

Death Burst level 10 Half-Golem Utility
As your life drains away the elemental bound to your limb lashes out at your foes.
Daily - Elemental, Varies
No action  Personal
Trigger: You fall to 0 hp or fewer
Effect: All adjacent enemies take 2d10 + your highest ability score modifier damage of the type that would energize you with your Construct Body Synthesis feature. In addition, you create  a zone in a burst 1 that lasts until the end of the encounter, until you are no longer under 0 hp or until you are dead, whichever comes first. The effects of this zone is dependant on your golem type, as follows:

• Flesh - Any enemy that ends its turn within the zone is restrained (save ends)

• Stone - The zone is considered difficult terrain, and any creature that moves into the zone is knocked prone.

• Iron - The zone is filled with poison gas. Any enemy that enters or starts its turn in the zone takes 5 poison damage per tier. A creature can only take this damage once in a given round.

• Clay - Any enemy that moves into the zone is grabbed (until escape) and cannot heal HP (save ends). The DC to escape is your unmodified Fortitude defense.

Optional Competition Elements:

• Prosthetic: At least one of the Theme's features prohibits the character from using magic items that would occupy a specific item slot.

• Unfriendly: At least one of the Theme's features hinders or harms allies.

• Recharging: The Theme contains a power that recharges like a monster power.

And with 29 hours to go, Jehojen gives us our first official entry!
I move that if we don't get enough people to officially have the contest, I win gold, silver AND bronze since I was the first to post.  ;)

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-qformat:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}

Amnesia Patient

Yes, you're that guy.  Through some event in your back story, you have contracted a severe case of retrograde amnesia and have forgotten everything - or at least mostly everything - about your personal history. You may or may not remember your own name. From the moment you first "woke up," your world was a clean slate, and since then you've made new friends and begun to discover a purpose and forge a new identity.  But your past has a way of coming back to haunt you, and you know you can't hide from it forever.  Sooner or later, you and your new-found comrades must make the journey of rediscovery, put together the pieces, and face up to the reality of who you once were.

Mechanics:

Lvl 1:

You gain a handsome/beautiful humanoid companion who will help you on your journey to re-discovering who you are.

Choose either a Competent Sidekick or a Helpless Sidekick. This person accompanies you for as long as he or she lives (probably not long). The sidekick doesn't have a normal complement of actions, but he/she can take a move action when you take one. If your sidekick has a power, he/she can use it only on your turn. 

In addition, you gain the "Tragic Sacrifice" daily power and can choose to gain either the "Deadly Muscle Memory" or the "Flash of Inspiration" encounter power. 

If you make an insight check for any reason, you do so only with the moral support of your sidekick: if you have no living sidekick or can't see or hear them for any reason then you take -5 to the check. 

When your sidekick dies, you remember who was directly responsible for their death and vow revenge, even though you also blame yourself. You can meet a new sidekick during any extended rest, even in an apparently unpopulated area. You will be tormented by guilt and gain vulnerable 5 psychic until you do. (see below for additional sidekick details and stat blocks)

Flash of Inspiration     (Amnesia Patient Utility)
"Why are my fighting skills so amazing? And why do I always have a headache?"
Encounter
Free Action, Personal
Trigger: You miss with an attack or dislike your roll on any skill check.
Effect: You take psychic damage equal to 3 plus half your level.  Reroll the triggering attack or reroll the skill check and use either result.
Special: If your attack still misses or if you choose to retain your first skill check result, roll a d6 at the beginning of your next turn. You regain the use of this power on a result of 4, 5, or 6. You can roll a d6 to try and regain the use of this power at the beginning of each turn until it recharges or until the end of the encounter.

Deadly Muscle Memory (Amnesia Patient Attack)
"Where could I possibly have learned this awesome kung-fu?"
Encounter
Immediate Interrupt
Trigger: A enemy hits you with a melee attack.
Effect: You take psychic damage equal to 3 plus half your level and the enemy must reroll the attack. If they miss, the triggering enemy takes damage equal to your highest ability modifier and you can either slide them one square or knock them prone.
Special: If you are still hit, roll a d6 at the beginning of your next turn and regain the use of this power on a result of 4, 5, or 6. You can roll a d6 to try and regain the use of this power at the beginning of each turn until it recharges or until the end of the encounter.
Lvl 11: Damage is highest ability mod + 5.
Lvl 21: Damage is highest ability mod + 10.

Tragic Sacrifice (Amnesia Patient Utility)
Your sidekick is killed by an attack that was meant for you or sacrifices themselves to save your life. There is nothing you can do to prevent it.
"You have to keep going without me...promise me...*cough*...promise me you won't give up." they say with their final breath. 

Daily, Free Action, DM's discretion. 
Trigger: You have a living sidekick and become bloodied or take damage while bloodied. Cannot be triggered by the psychic damage from Deadly Muscle Memory or Flash of Inspiration.
Effect: The damage is negated and you regain HP as though you had spent a healing surge.  Instead, your sidekick is mortally injured. They can no longer take actions other than speaking and they die at the end of the encounter.  They cannot be resurrected by normal means. 
Special: This power is activated at the DM's discretion, not the player's. Any time the triggering conditions are met the DM may choose whether or not this power will take effect.  No other conditions need to be met (the sidekick's location/condition immediately prior to the tragic sacrifice do not prevent it; the DM will explain how they arrive on the scene if they were absent and how circumstances conspire to prevent you from saving them). 

Lvl 5:
You gain a +2 bonus Insight. 
You also gain a +2 revenge bonus to attack and damage rolls against any creature that has ever personally killed one of your sidekicks. If you're lawful good you can call it a justice bonus instead.
(Note: Normally this revenge bonus only applies to the individual creature that dealt the killing blow, but in some cases your DM may allow you to apply it to the person who ordered the attack or was ultimately responsible. However, you only get to hold one individual accountable per dead sidekick. This bonus cannot be applied to whole institutions, chains of command, or subtypes. i.e. if a ninja killed your sidekick, you have to know that its the same ninja before you get the revenge bonus.)

Lvl 10:
You have taken great strides in coming to terms with your mysterious past. You no longer take any psychic damage when using Deadly Muscle Memory or Flash of Inspiration. 

Optional Powers:

Latent Knowledge          Amnesia Patient Utility 2
"How can I know all these things and still not know who I am?"
Encounter
Free Action, Personal
Trigger: You would make a streetwise, history, or dungeoneering check. 
Effect: Make an insight check instead and use that result.

Plot Armor                    Amnesia Patient Utility 6
"I can't die...not now...not before learning the truth."
Daily, Healing
Immediate Interrupt, Personal
Trigger: You drop to 0 hit points or fewer. 
Effect: You regain hit points as though you had spent a healing surge. 

Blast from the Past        Amnesia Patient Utility 10
"What if you miss?"  "I won't miss."
Encounter
Free Action, Personal
Trigger: You would make an attack roll. 
Effect: Make an insight check instead and compare your result to the target's highest defense to determine whether you hit. If you roll a natural 19 or 20 on the check, you score a critical hit. 

Sidekick Details and Stat blocks:
* Your sidekick is an ally to you and your allies. This means that even a Helpless Sidekick can provide flanking. A Competant Sidekick can also make opportunity attacks using his/her basic melee power. 
* Your sidekick shares your healing surge pool - if they spend a healing surge it is deducted from your total and the HP they gain is your healing surge value. When you take a second wind, your sidekick also regains HP equal to your healing surge value.
* If you are unconscious, your sidekick can act on their own and should try to protect/rescue you.
* If you die your sidekick will cease to be your sidekick and return to the normal life they were leading before they met you, but they will never forget you.  If you are resurrected, you can either reunite with your former sidekick or choose to find a new one because you know in your heart that your former sidekick is better off thinking you are dead.
* If your sidekick is reduced to 0 HP or fewer, they fall unconscious and you lose a healing surge immediately.  On your turn your sidekick makes a death saving throw just like a dying PC. If they accumulate three failures since their last extended rest they die, and if their HP drops below their bloodied value expressed as a negative number, etc. They can be stabilized with a DC15 heal check just like a PC. 
* Your sidekick regains all their HP during a short rest.
* Even a Competent Sidekick is not a seasoned adventurer like you and may not be able to carry out complex instructions or think strategically under pressure in your absence (subject to DM discretion).

Helpless Sidekick (Amnesia Patient Companion)
Medium humanoid
HP your bloodied value   
Initiative equal to yours   Perception equal to yours
AC 13, Fortitude 11, Reflex 11, Will 11
(Add your level to each defense)
Speed 6
Traits
Damsel (or Dude) in Distress
You may mark any enemy you can see that makes an attack against your helpless sidekick as a free action before the attack resolves.  The mark lasts until the end of your next turn. 
Standard Actions
Just Hang On - Personal, At-Will
Your helpless sidekick gains +5 to all defenses until the end of your next turn. 
Str 11 Dex 12 Wis 11
Con 12 Int 11 Cha 18

Competent Sidekick (Amnesia Patient Companion)
Medium humanoid
HP your bloodied value   
Initiative equal to yours    Perception equal to yours
AC 15, Fortitude 13, Reflex 13, Will 13
(Add your level to each defense)
Speed 6
Traits
I've got your back - Aura 1
You and your allies in the aura do not grant combat advantage from being flanked.
Standard Actions
Basic Melee Attack - Melee 1, At-Will
Your level +5 vs AC. 
Hit: 1d8 + half your level damage. 
Str 14 Dex 14 Wis 12
Con 14 Int 12 Cha 15

Flavor:
The inspirations for this Theme are obvious - primarily Bourne and Revan and also Bond (since he does the whole "new companion every episode" thing, though they don't *always* die).  Remember those inspirations and be willing to draw from them!
Playing an amnesia patient by definition means invoking a lot of tropes/fiction stereotypes; you can play them straight, you can play them for laughs, or (my personal favorite) you can do both. The character is constantly tormented, and the player is constantly chortling on the inside. You just can't stop these poor girls/guys from falling in love with you...even though you know "Those closest to me are always the ones who get hurt..."

And if constant wallowing in confusion and self-pity stops being fun/funny for everyone? Just back it off for a while and suffer in stoic silence instead...like most running gags, it'll come back into its own in time. 

You need to talk to your DM before taking this theme, and not just because it'll be his job to dramatically kill off your sidekicks!
First, you should check to make sure he's OK with a theme that has powers with names like "Plot Armor" (i.e. powers that explicitly invoke plot devices rather than "real" causes in the fictional world).  It may not actually be breaking the 4th wall, since 4e powers are already kinda abstract, but still. This might not be the best theme if your DM was planning a very serious campaign that focuses on realism. 

There's also the matter of what your secret past actually is. I strongly encourage you not to have this all figured out as a player and then ask your DM to work it into the world. Instead, I recommend telling the DM that you're leaving that part of your past entirely up to him. This is a great opportunity to for the DM to do something cool to surprise you!  And you'll have more fun unraveling the mystery if you don't already know the answer - you'll actually be in the same boat as your character, looking at whatever "clues" there may be and wondering what they mean. Not to mention that your party-members will be much more likely to be interested in your secret back-story if you haven't already told them about the "secret" X times.   And don't be impatient; remember, it's more fun when it's a mystery, and it's supposed to take 10 levels to figure out and come to terms with your true past. 

Also, please remember that your sidekicks are people and treat them with respect. They probably haven't long to live so make their last day(s) happy. Be willing to develop the relationship a little so that the inevitable tragic sacrifice has more impact, and keep the relationship PG if your group would prefer. 
Finally, try not to throw your companion under the bus just because you know they're expendable; Bond would never do that!  If you insist on trying this, don't be too bummed if it doesn't work.
(That's what that bit about them not necessarily being able to follow complex instructions in your absence is about.  i.e. if you tell your sidekick "You stay here by the evil temple's self-destruct button for 20 minutes, giving us time to escape. Then push it. You'll die but at least the rest of us will live." You *may* emerge from the temple 20 minutes later and turn around to see your companion come running out after you. "I got worried about you," they may offer in explanation. =P)

Optional Elements Used:
Capricious: The Tragic Sacrifice power. This was the coolest use I could think of for this element, and this element was one of the things that got me thinking on this idea.
Recharging: The Deadly Muscle Memory and Flash of Inspiration powers can both recharge. This was a tricky one to try to balance against other theme powers. Hopefully I did a good job.
Skillful: The theme grants a bonus to insight at level 5 and insight is used by the Latent Knowledge and Blast from the Past optional utility powers. 

Eratta: 5/5/12 - Reduced Helpless Sidekick's defenses by one; added "you can see" to requirement for marking enemies that attack a Helpless Sidekick.
Eratta: 5/8/12 - Reworded Flash of Inspiration to account for the fact that not every skill checks results in a clear "success" or "failure" result.  The power can now be activated by the player disliking the result of any check and can potentially recharge if they choose to keep the original result after rerolling.

The list is updated!
Working on it! The damn optionals are the hardest :/ Just going to pilfer some utility powers from classes, methinks. Have about half an hour left.
Heroic Dungeon Master
Just to clear up confision, the contest won't end for another 9.5 hours!

XDMC 36: Create a theme

Travelling Arms Dealer

"Modern-day saints carry their arms, spreading the word of their gods with cutting steel and piercing arrows.
The only thing that matters is your reason for using them."

Arms are more of a commodity than anyone ever realizes. A sharp blade is never more than an arm's length away and a whistling bolt can be picked up at any corner. Normal weaponry can be bought from nearly any salesman without trouble. And even above that, and perhaps even more terrifying, are the persons supplying those salesmen… and organizations… even entire countries.
People with no scruples, willing and able to sell just the right amount of weaponry to both sides of conflict, just to ensure the conflict never stops. So they can line their coffers. These arms dealers often create a haven for themselves, safe amongst their many hired men and their connections. They see little reason to leave these havens, preferring to leave the dirty work to their hands. Little matters beyond their ability to obtain more money.

You are not one of these arms dealers. You set out in this trade because you have a goal beyond cold, hard cash. A goal that can only be accomplished by selling your wares to the right persons, for the right reasons. Even if this causes death and mayhem and makes the entire world hates you, you are willing to take that upon you, for your goal is paramount.
And because of this, instead of sitting around in your haven, you travel. You set out into the world to reach your goal. You meet people beyond imagining and sell your wares in places where common arms dealers would never dream of, just because they have no way of knowing.
Gathering trusted allies who will stick with you no matter what and protect you to the utmost of their abilities, you make sure to use them to their full extent. They keep you safe and for this you appreciate them, taking good care of them. But ultimately, even they are but your own weapons, which you wield. And all this for your goal…

Mechanics

Starting features

You know your way amongst both the underbelly of society and the high echelons of nobility. They're both always in need of arms and you make sure to use those connections.

You gain a +2 bonus to Insight, Diplomacy and Streetwise skill checks.

Level 5

As you gain the trust of your companions, you trust them more as well. Without them you'd be naked and vulnerable to your enemies. You know they will protect you from harm and lay waste to your enemies. People know this and therefore are more likely to agree to your harsh bargaining.

You gain the 'Safe amongst allies' utility power. Furthermore, if you are able to use your connections, you can buy (magical) weaponry at a 90% of its normal market price and sell it for 110% of its normal market price.

Safe amongst allies - Utility power
"You fear no enemy, because you know your allies will protect you from them."
Encounter
Immediate interrupt - Close burst 5
Target: One ally within the burst
Trigger: An enemy within sight targets you with an attack.
Effect: The target can shift its speed and make a basic attack against the triggering enemy as an opportunity action. If the attack hits, the enemy takes a -2 penalty to his attack roll against you.

Level 10

Your reputation and experience is preceding you. Even amongst the darkest of the underworld and the highest nobility, you have friends that can shelter you. Still you do not trust them as you would your own companions and are always wary for treachery.

Your bonus to Insight, Diplomacy and Streetwise increases to +4 and the penalty inflicted by the 'Safe amongst allies' power increases to -4. Furthermore, you can gain shelter for you and your companions in any city where you can use your connections, making it more difficult for foes to find and pursue you. However, be ready to run, for who can tell if those connections are not enemies as well?

Optional powers

The Travelling Arms Dealer allows you to choose from a select amount of Warlord utility powers. You can read about the mechanics of these powers in the indicated rules source or in the DDI Compendium.

Level 2 utility powers
Instead choosing amongst your usual utility powers, you can choose from these level 2 utility powers instead:

• Hasty Alert – Warlord Daily Utility Power (Martial Power 2)
    Even as you notice the attack, you signal quickly to your companions, preventing their surprise.

Level 6 utility powers
Instead choosing amongst your usual utility powers, you can choose from these level 6 utility powers instead:

• Guileful Switch – Warlord Daily Utility Power (Martial Power)
    As you distract your enemy, he never imagined you were actually setting him up for ambush. His eyes go wide as he notices too late that your companion suddenly making his move.

Level 10 utility powers
Instead choosing amongst your usual utility powers, you can choose from these level 6 utility powers instead:

• Marked Revelation – Warlord Daily Utility Power (Martial Power)
    Fools, how could they even think that you were unprotected. You quickly set them straight by pointing to a companion who they didn't spot or disregard. Wasn't he unarmed?

Flavor

The Travelling Arms Dealer theme is a theme in which your character has a higher goal, one that requires her to have connections and resources in all layers of society. Your character should work hard toward this goal, taking reckless risks because the return is worth it and you have trust in your companions. The theme can work for any class, inserting a bit of Warlord the character's life, though social figures stand to gain more from the class. It is less suited for actual Warlords, who already have access to the optional utility powers.

Your character makes sure that her companions trust her, taking good care of them and leading them towards victory. Every companion is a precious friend, but even though you do not take their lives lightly, those that die for you are in the past. You will mourn them, but move on quickly.

Your DM should have ample opportunity to present you with the possibility of garnering connections, hopefully in the unlikeliest of places. These are the reasons why your character travels, isn't it?

And finally, your character knows how to make use of magic and the divine, but she firmly believes that even the mightiest priest and wizards can be done in by lucky strokes with weaponry. This makes you look somewhat down upon magic users and followers of the divine, but you still respect them enough to overlook their dependence on outside sources.

Optional elements

1. Capricious: The connections of the Travelling Arms Dealer depend mostly on the hooks the DM provides for the character.
5. Moonlighting: While it does cause a lot of combat, being a Travelling Arms Dealer isn't about combat itself.
9. Skillful: The features enhance the Streetwise, Diplomacy and Insight skills.

That's my entry! Bonus points to the judge that catches the reference.
Heroic Dungeon Master
That's my entry! Bonus points to the judge that catches the reference.

I'm guessing Yuri Orlov from Lord of War, but that's just a shot in the dark.  ;)

With a little over six hours to go, we still need one more entry (2 to award medals)!
Noooo....only 2 hours left! >_<

There's gotta be a few more out there...
Preface
The following is a conversion of the Spiked Chain Training feat made into a theme. I know the content is not completely original, but the the idea of using using a weapon theme to describe a character is not borrowed. I've decided to post this as an entry to the competition could have the minimum required for rewards, and also in case other DMs want to run with the theme themselves.

A character’s weapon is more than a tool she uses to unleash devastating blows against her adversaries; the crude greatclub of the savage nomadic barbarian, the lithe raper of a dashing aerial cutthroat, or a steady longsword in the hands of the gallant sword-and-shield paladin is an extension of the warrior herself. The weapon becomes the hero; the hero becomes the weapon, and a theme by which the character lives and breathes comes to life.

Chain Fighter

The spiked chain is a wicked weapon and devastating in the hands of proficient warriors. Nimble martial warriors such as rogues, rangers and tempest fighters usually wield such weapons to champion their graceful style.

Through years of dedicated practice, martial warriors become proficient with the exotic spiked chain, so much so that the lethal spiked appendages become one-and-the-same with the warrior’s hands. The spiked chain becomes an extension of the warrior herself.

Chain Fighter Starting Feature (1st Level): You gain proficiency with the spiked chain. You can treat the spiked chain as a double weapon. As a double weapon, each end of the spiked chain is a light blade and flail and deals 2d4 damage. The primary end gains the stout property, and the secondary end gains the off-hand property.

Chain Fighter Level 5 Feature (5th Level): You can use the Grab combat action while wielding a spiked chain. As such, the Grab power is modified as follows:

GrabAttack
You reach out and grasp your foe, preventing it from moving.
At-Will Weapon
Standard Action - Melee weapon
Requirement: You must be wielding a spiked chain.
Target:One creature that is no more than one size category larger than you
Attack:Strength vs. Reflex
Hit: You grab the target until the end of your next turn. you can end the grab as a free action.
Sustain Minor: The grab persists until the end of your next turn.

Chain Fighter Level 10 Feature (10th Level)
: Creatures that you grab while wielding a spiked chain take a -2 penalty to escape attempts to break the grab.

Chain ShieldChain Fighter Utility 2
You whirl into a vortex of spikes, fending off melee attackers.
Daily Martial, Stance, Weapon
Minor Action - Personal
Requirement:You must be wielding a spiked chain.
Effect: Until the stance ends, you gain a +2 shield bonus to AC and Reflex. Whenever an enemy misses you with a melee attack, you can slide that enemy 1 square.

Chain TripChain Fighter Attack 3
You lash out with your chain and jerk your foe to the ground.
Encounter Martial, Weapon
Requirement: You must be wielding a spiked chain.
Target:One creature
Attack:Primary Attribute vs. Reflex
Hit: 1[W] + Primary Attribute modifier damage, and slide the target up to 2 squares and knock it prone.
At 11th level, increase to 2[W] damage.
At 21st level, increase to 3[W] damage.

Chain WardChain Fighter Utility 6
You take a sidelong stance, whirling your chain above your head and watching your foes with sharp, opportunistic menace.
Daily Martial, Stance, Weapon
Minor Action - Personal
Requirement:You must be wielding a spiked chain.
Effect: You threaten all squares within your reach.

Spiked ShacklesChain Fighter Attack 9
With remarkable deftness, you wrap your foe in your chain, allowing you to squeeze the spike home and control your enemy’s movement.
Daily Martial, Weapon
Target:One creature
Attack:Primary Attribute vs. Reflex
Hit: 1[W] + Primary attribute damage, and the target is grabbed until it escapes. You can sustain the grab as long as the target is within your reach, and the target takes a -2 penalty to escape attempts.
At 15th level, increase to 2[W] damage.
At 25th level, increase to 3[W] damage.
Miss: Half damage, and the target is grabbed until it escapes; you can sustain the grab as long as the target is within your reach.
Effect: Until the target is no longer grabbed, you can slide the target 1 square as a minor action. When you sustain the grab, the target takes 1[W] damage.

Changeling Child

Goblin King! Goblin King! Wherever you may be, take this child of mine far away from me. – Sarah (Labyrinth) 

The common folk are a superstitious lot, always nervous about anything or anyone who appears different from the norm.  If an animal behaves oddly, then it’s probably because of a witch’s hex.  If the crops fail to sprout at the expected time, it’s probably because someone was dealing with demons.  If a child looks strange, particularly if it doesn’t bear a close enough resemblance to its supposed father, then it is probably a changeling, left by the fairies when they kidnapped the true child and took it away to the feywild.

While many cases of children with unexpected features can be explained by secret extra-marital trysts, there are some unseelie fey who take children that they believe have promise and leave faerie children as replacements.  Such children always seem to have an aura about them, bringing trouble and bad luck wherever they go.  The bad luck never seems to affect them directly, though.  The changeling always seems to be just stepping out of the way as misfortune strikes a nearby companion.

Optional Elements:

Capricious – the DM has complete control over the Lucky Strike power, and influence over how several other changeling child elements take effect.  There is also plenty of opportunity for the DM to use this in a non-mechanical way, allowing the changeling child to have some serendipitous luck while nothing seems to go smoothly for their companions.  The changeling child always gets the girl, while his friend spills beer down the front of his tunic . . .

Original – a changeling child is fey in origin, though they may not realize it.  Many changeling children go to great lengths to pretend to be normal members of their race so as not to attract unwanted harassment.

Unfriendly – several of the changeling child’s abilities give penalties to allies. 

Mechanics:

Lucky Break (Level 1 Feature):

Encounter Power, No Action – This power triggers off the changeling child failing a skill check.  Re-roll the check and add a +2 un-typed bonus to the roll (+3 at 11th level, +4 at 21st level), but the next PC to make a skill check (up to the end of the encounter) takes an equal an opposite penalty to their roll.

Lucky Revival (Level 1 Feature):

A changeling child is used to taking the abuses of suspicious neighbors, and often receives a minimum amount of care when injured.  The changeling child regains consciousness when rolling a 19+ on a death saving throw.  The changeling child can still only spend one second wind per encounter.

Lucky Critical (Level 5 Feature):

Daily Power, No Action – This power triggers off the changeling child scoring a critical hit.  The weapon or implement’s critical hit damage dice are also maximized instead of rolling randomly.

Lucky Strike (Level 10 Feature):

At-Will Power (DM controlled) – When the changeling child misses with an attack – by 1 with an at-will power, by 2 with an encounter power, or by 3 with a daily power – the DM may choose to count the attack as a hit, and assign an equal and opposite penalty to the next attack of one ally within 5.  The DM should use this power enough so that the changeling child sees the benefit, but not so frequently that it becomes a guarantee that all close misses will turn into hits.

Right Place, Right Time (Level 2 Utility Power):

Encounter Power, Standard Action – Make an attack against an adjacent enemy, player’s choice of stat (chosen when the power is selected) vs. will.  If the attack is successful, shift the enemy 1 space into a position where it is being flanked.  The changeling child can now make an at-will melee attack against the same target.  Following the attack, the enemy gets to shift 1 space into a position where it is not being flanked.  If no such space exists within range, then the enemy gets no shift (though presumably in most cases it could simply go back to where it started).

Unexpected Mis-Fire (Level 6 Utility Power):

Encounter Power, No Action – This power triggers off the changeling child being hit with an enemy’s encounter or re-charge power.  The changeling child immediately gains resist 5 all until the end of his/her next turn but the re-charge power automatically recharges or the encounter power is not used up.  This resistance increases to 10 at level 11, and 15 at level 21.

Move Through Chaos (Level 10 Utility Power):

Encounter Power, Move – The changeling child removes any mark currently on him/her and shifts up to his/her full movement.  After this move is completed, one enemy within 5 squares may immediately shift 2 spaces.

Flavor:

There are two ways that you could go about playing a changeling child – either you know what you are, or you are blissfully ignorant. 

If you are aware of what you are, and know the effects of good luck and bad luck that swirl around you, then you will probably want to play up your successes, and the various ways your good fortune has helped the party.  Try to deflect attention from the unfortunate failures that seem to happen to your companions when they are near you.  It would be a sign of great trust for you to admit your nature to anyone, and you are probably prickly about anyone who starts asking questions about your background.

If, in character, you don’t know that you are any different from a normal individual of your race, then you are probably a happy-go-lucky adventurer.  Things just always seem to work out for you, at least since you moved away from those nasty superstitious bumpkins that made your childhood miserable.  That’s all behind you now and if bad things seem to happen to those around you, well adventuring is dangerous business, so lets not jump to conclusions.

Thinking Out Loud:

I wanted to capture the idea of a jinx – someone who doesn’t experience bad luck themselves, but seems to bring bad luck to the people around them.  On the other hand, I didn’t want to make the theme so annoyingly terrible that everyone else at the table would hate you, as a person, for using it on your character.  I feel like there are probably other themes that are better if you just want to make the most kick-ass character with awesome powers, but it might be interesting to role-play.

I was also trying to think of a better word that “changeling” to name the theme, since changeling already means something different in D&D.  Maybe it should be called “faerie child” or “switched at birth” or something like that.  I’ll probably think of a really good name some time tomorrow after the deadline has passed . . .

I heard that they are making a new video game, where you control the Netherese flying citadel of Sakkors, raining death on your helpless enemies below. Working title: Mythal Command.
I don't know if it's still within deadline, but I altered a small part of my entry. I added the following text to the first paragraph of 'Flavor';

…and you have trust in your companions. The theme can work for any class, inserting a bit of Warlord the character's life, though social figures stand to gain more from the class. It is less suited for actual Warlords, who already have access to the optional utility powers. 

Please disregard this if it wasn't within the deadline, but I wanted the actual class advice out there for people that get it into their heads to use my theme as inspiration.
Heroic Dungeon Master
The list is updated and the contest closed.  SpacyRicochet, you are allowed to make edits after the deadline.  The only risk is that judges will already have scored your entry before the edit.
I'm glad we got enough entries for a real contest there at the end. 

I might write one more as a suplimental entry, since I like themes in general and think there should be more of them to choose from.