A few questions.

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
1)
I have 2 cards left in my deck with a Laboratory Maniac in play, and cast Brainstorm. Would I still win since I drew from an empty library even though there are cards still left in my deck?

2) I know that I cant Redirect a spell to itself, but could I Redirect it to the Redirect?

3) Do things such as Ballyrush Banneret effect things such as prowl or evoke costs? I dont believe so, but a few players in my group have brough it up and we have gone with that you cant so far.

1) After Brainstorm resolves, you win the game, since during its resolution, the event "You attempted to draw a card from an empty library you (lose->win) the game." occurred. After the resolution, state-based effects are checked and you win.

2) When it resolves, it is still a spell on the stack, so you can say, redirect a Counterspell onto the now-resolving Redirect on the stack.

3) Yes, since the prowl/evoke costs are the costs that are you paying to Cast the spells.
1) After Brainstorm resolves, you win the game, since during its resolution, the event "You attempted to draw a card from an empty library you (lose->win) the game." occurred. After the resolution, state-based effects are checked and you win.

Actually they win the game as they attempt to draw their last card, during the resolution of brainstorm.  Laboratory Maniac has a replacement effect that replaces the card draw with winning the game.  The brainstorm will never finish resolving and state based action will not be performed.

DCI Level 2 Judge

Rockford, Illinois

2) I know that I cant Redirect a spell to itself, but could I Redirect it to the Redirect?

assuming the Redirect is a legal target for the spell, yes
eg. Cancel = yes, Doom Blade = no, Essence Scatter = no

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Do things such as Ballyrush Banneret effect things such as prowl or evoke costs? I dont believe so, but a few players in my group have brough it up and we have gone with that you cant so far.

Prowl and Evoke are ALTERNATIVE costs.
These allow you to pay something else instead of the «regular» mana cost of the card. 
Banneret's ability produces a cost reduction; cost reductions (and aditionnal costs) are always applied to the total cost,
after you've decided whether to pay the regular mana cost or some alternative cost.

702.74a Prowl is a static ability (...) Paying a spell’s prowl cost follows the rules for paying alternative costs in rules 601.2b and 601.2e–g.

702.72a Evoke represents two abilities (...) Paying a card’s evoke cost follows the rules for paying alternative costs in rules 601.2b and 601.2e–g.

601.2b [Casting a Spell] (...) If the spell has alternative or additional costs (...), the player announces his or her intentions to pay any or all of those costs (see rule 601.2e). A player can’t apply two alternative methods of casting or two alternative costs to a single spell...

601.2e The player determines the total cost of the spell. (...) The total cost is the mana cost or alternative cost (as determined in rule 601.2b), plus all additional costs and cost increases, and minus all cost reductions...

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.                        -Albert Einstein

So, you keep on voting, and you keep expecting different results from those elections?

How long have you tried this, over and over?

Ain't it time you reached a different conclusion about this whole mascarade?

Actually they win the game as they attempt to draw their last card, during the resolution of brainstorm.  Laboratory Maniac has a replacement effect that replaces the card draw with winning the game.  The brainstorm will never resolve and state based action will not be performed (because in actuality if state based actions were performed you'd lose the game).

No. The draw was still replaced.
9/22/2011 If for some reason you can't win the game (because your opponent controls Platinum Angel, for example), you won't lose for having tried to draw a card from a library with no cards in it, because the draw was still replaced.

Segoth is correct. Well except the Brainstorm is in the process of resolving and it won't finish resolving because the game would presumably end. The effect of Brainstorm for the draw that was replaced becomes "you win the game" and this will happen before SBA's would check.

DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

But Ichiban is correct, after rereading it if SBA's are checked since there was no draw the player would not lose.  I've made the correction up top.

DCI Level 2 Judge

Rockford, Illinois

Ah he was correcting the last part about if SBA's did actually manage to get to check.

Yes, that part he is correct about. For some reason I thought he was saying that you were mistaken about the game being won during the resolution of Brainstorm. Gah! two fails when reading today.

DJ Vortex

DCI #5209514320

Sign In to post comments