04/20/2012 TWTW: "Avengers Resemble"

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's The Week That Was, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Creatures have gotten better since that deck? Better than Meloku, Keiga and Sakura-Tribe Elder?
Mayor into this guy is an absurd little curve.  I love it!
Ah, I see they got the timmy-bloat out of the way.
Funny how even wotc itself knows Homicidal Sclusion doesn't work. Which is a shame cause I like the flavour/art of that card.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
That was a fun little beginning flavor of the pit and its characters-- almost a sitcom.
Albino Troll was significant because it could dodge Counterspell by coming down a turn early -- 3rd turn was a terrible time to try to cast important spells anyway.  If blue counterspells get a big boost in the near future, then Flash will be more useful, but otherwise I'm not seeing this as a card to get worked up about.  It is decently solid, but there's a fistful of cards that have come up in nearly every article (Wolfir Silverheart, for example), and those are the only ones that seem to be worth getting excited over.
Yes, Flash pairs nicely with werewolves from earlier in the block.  It's a decent card, but doesn't seem worth getting worked up over.
Albino Troll was significant because it could dodge Counterspell by coming down a turn early -- 3rd turn was a terrible time to try to cast important spells anyway.  If blue counterspells get a big boost in the near future, then Flash will be more useful, but otherwise I'm not seeing this as a card to get worked up about.  It is decently solid, but there's a fistful of cards that have come up in nearly every article (Wolfir Silverheart, for example), and those are the only ones that seem to be worth getting excited over.
Yes, Flash pairs nicely with werewolves from earlier in the block.  It's a decent card, but doesn't seem worth getting worked up over.

Third turn is is just fine for casting creatures, I has cavern of souls -- no counter spell for you.
Don't get me wrong, it's a great utility card, but it's not exactly an Ambush Viper that sticks... first of all, without deathtouch, it's not taking down anything bigger than it is, and it's stickablity is reduced by the fact that on turn 3, your not going to be regenerating it. (Although the 2 extra points of beefy behind does help the stickability factor.)

~ Current Decks I'm Playing or Building ~ (Click a deck's name to see list) [] CorpseJunk Menace/Township Counters (Standard) [] Reanimation/Clerics Theme Deck - Commander: Ghost Dad [] Devouring Tokens (Planechase, Multiplayer) [] Krark-Clan Ironworks: 2012 Edition (Modern) [] Azorious Turbo Fog (Modern)
Creatures have gotten better since that deck? Better than Meloku, Keiga and Sakura-Tribe Elder?

Maybe. But those particular creatures...maybe not:
1) During Kamigawa/Mirrodin standard, a pro commented that the two best creatures in the format were 1/1s for 2: Sakura-Tride Elder and Arcbound Ravager. While STE no longer stacks damage, it's still a ridiculously good card.
2) Keiga performs favorably against any of the Titans right now. (In combat, or in multiples.) Before the Titans, there were the Dragons.
3) Meloku was ridiculous. "Okay, you're at 20, still, but I've stabilized now - guess I'll convert my lands into 10 power of fliers."

But yeah, this card just seems...decent. Gnarled Mass was a "good" card because there wasn't a better option. (And honestly, the Isao in the deck was functionally more like this than Gnarled Mass.) Being a 3/3 flash critter that regenerates is more what a control deck wants anyway, though there's the obvious synergy with werewolves. It certainly would have been an upgrade in the Critical Mass deck, but I think it needs a different format right now to have a good home.
Sign In to post comments