Would appreciate some thoughts

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, I am planning out how I want my 4th ed group to go.  I have a story to tell and my players, god bless them, are working with me (really, they are great guys.)  To be clear, this is an 'on rails' game, but I am not railroading them.  I provide plot hooks, and they can usually be trusted to take them.  Anyway, the important thing is everyone is having fun, and that's all that really matters, isn't it?

Anyway, the end of my campaign, up when they hopefully reach lvl 30, will be to kill an evil demigod attempting to assend to godhood (if everything works out, that is.)  I had this cool idea where the majority of epic tier is the group running around all of creation (the primordial chaos, the feywild, the shadowfell, etc.) in order to create a weapon of epic proportions that can slay a demigod.  I've got a million ideas, drawing from all over DnD lore.  One idea is that they must uncover the secrets to creating a githzeri Karacht blade (from Planescape-Torment) as a BASE for the item.  Another is that they have to get some powerful feywild spirit to enchant it, that sort of thing.

So, here's my question . . . what should the blade DO?  I mean, sure, I could have it do nothing but hurt that one specific demigod, but that's kinda boring, and I want to reward all my players for all their hard work making this weapon.  I just can't find a good listing in any of the books for what the weapon should do, or even a base.

I guess, one idea is to make it do extra damage to things with the immortal origin, maybe?  Restrict a God's ability to teleport away when bloodied (I hear that is a thing they can do.)  I hesitate to just make it a +6 legandary blade, but what else is there? 
Maybe this demigod could be impervious to all weapons and magics until run through with this sword?  Semi stolen from WoW.  Not very creative, but it would let the PCs appreciate putting all the work into making this weapon; knowing that otherwise their efforts and lives would be wasted facing a demigod.
How about the blade is a +6 legendary weapon as a base, but has the power to reflect any attack back on the attacker as an immediate interrupt.
Auto critical hit back on the attacker. Presumably once per round. Let it work to protect allies adjacent as well..kind of an Aura. Still only once per round though. 
Then you can give the evil god a truly powerful attack but the pc's should be able to defeat him.  

Even better if the reflection power is discovered only when they confront the evil god for the first time.

Give the sword some 'normal power' as well to disguise that it has an uber power.

Just an idea.  
First off, in response to Reks, I was actually thinking the opposite.  Any weapon could HURT the demigod, but only this blade could keep him down.  In other words, a coup de grace from this weapon will make sure he can't reincarnate and such.

I was actually thinking about it, and here is what I came up with:

Weapon starts as a blade that has an enchantment bonus equal to the level of the person weilding it (so a lvl 1 character would have a +1 sword, a lvl 6 character a +2, a level 11 character a +3 and so on)

When it is enchanted by the quest in the astral sea, it gains the property "Weapon deals both radiant and physical damage, and Deals +1d12 damage on criticals against creatures of immortal origin."

When it is enchanted by the quest in the feywild, it gains the property "Weilder gains necrotic resist 15, and the weapon ignores any resistances on any undead creature."

When it is enchanted by the quest in the Shadowfell, it gains the property: "Any creature felled by this weapon is dead.  Liches do not return to their phelactories and vampires do not return to their coffins."
First off, in response to Reks, I was actually thinking the opposite.  Any weapon could HURT the demigod, but only this blade could keep him down.  In other words, a coup de grace from this weapon will make sure he can't reincarnate and such.

That sounds great. An additional idea to your's would be that the blade must remain embedded in the dead demi-god. If it is ever removed he could awaken. Could be a good hook for a future campaign as well.
That sounds great. An additional idea to your's would be that the blade must remain embedded in the dead demi-god. If it is ever removed he could awaken. Could be a good hook for a future campaign as well.

Was going to say this, specifically.  Although, keep in mind, going this route means that the players are going to need to figure out a way of making sure that the demigod's worshipers can't get to his body to remove the sword. 

Was going to say this, specifically.  Although, keep in mind, going this route means that the players are going to need to figure out a way of making sure that the demigod's worshipers can't get to his body to remove the sword. 

Indeed. A cult worshiping the demigod and trying to free him of the blade could be the basis for an entire future campaign. Good stuff.
I'd suggest having a look at Revenge Of The Giants maybe for inspiration for Champion Weapons that have a proximity power (basically if the group has a number of Champion items then the group can get special powers.