New Player Here

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
hey guys, im deciding to try out mtg for the first time. i'm still picking up on how to play but im sure ill be ok there, although some cards do look complicated. i'm wondering if theres any advice you guys can give to a new player? any would be appreciated as i am trying to give this game a chance! i havent played a lot of tcg games other than shadow era, and the cards/rules there are much simpler and there just arent as many choices. the sheer amount of cards here is a bit overwhelming to me. what kinds of packs should i be buying to start off my collection? are some better than others?
Welcome to the forums.

A  good place to start is with premade decks. These are great because you can learn the basics of the game without worrying about starting from scratch. If you have a friend who wants to learn as well you can pick up a duel deck. This is a product that has two legal decks so you'd be able to play against someone right out of the box.

That's your best bet for testing out the game and seeing if you enjoy it.
… and then, the squirrels came.
Welcome to the forums.

A  good place to start is with premade decks. These are great because you can learn the basics of the game without worrying about starting from scratch. If you have a friend who wants to learn as well you can pick up a duel deck. This is a product that has two legal decks so you'd be able to play against someone right out of the box.

That's your best bet for testing out the game and seeing if you enjoy it.

Thanks skibo, actually today i did buy one of those duel decks. i just havent got a chance to use them yet. i've looked into the intro decks as well and ive noticed that decks like 'grab for power' and 'blood and fire' are like $30 or so while any of the dark ascension intro decks are like $12. im wondering now, is there any particular reason for the wide price gap for these intros?
Dont buy intro packs they are very poorly made. My suggestion like always : deckbuilder toolkit

You will get quite a lot of OK cards with a guide on deck making, you'll be able to create a few decks, change them and mess with them, something the intro pack and all the other premade decks will not give you.
I love trolls Dont hate me because I'm blunt and you cannot handle it
MASTESTRATEGIST:

My guess would be that the dueldecks are packed with 2 decks and the others are single decks.

Can anyone else confirm that?
MASTESTRATEGIST:

My guess would be that the dueldecks are packed with 2 decks and the others are single decks.

That would be correct.
Show
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks Gamma_Mage for the awesome banner! IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/5b6c77c9b167a1916a659c5ddb3cf613.jpg?v=90000)
MASTESTRATEGIST:

was this an attempt at sarcasm? if you were trying to answer my question in post #3 i think maybe you should read that post again.
Those more expenive decks usually have more rare cards in them and are designed to be more competitive.  Some of them also have all foil cards.  The intro packs are much cheaper and usually only have a few rare cards in them.  Still fun decks, good for learning the game.

Another way to start is to pick up Duels of the Planeswalkers for $10 on the PS3, XBOX, or Steam.  You get access to lots of different kinds of decks and can play against the computer or other players.  That's how I got started, and it was great as an intro product.

BTW, Wicked wasn't being sarcastic, I think he misunderstood your question.
MASTESTRATEGIST:

was this an attempt at sarcasm? if you were trying to answer my question in post #3 i think maybe you should read that post again.

Even completely new players cant stand what you write wicked. Master, there's plenty of people that will try to give you good advice/tips/suggestions/theories and there's a few clueless people that will give you bad advice/tips/suggestion/theories. You have to decide for yourself which is which, but a quick rule of thumb, dont listen to him.... EVER
When I started playing a few years back, I would buy an intro deck and sometimes a few boosters, but otherwise I just played the intro deck. That was when I didn't have an income, at all. I would be lucky to get maybe a few bucks a month. I just recently got back into it, and the best thing that helped me get used to playing and building my own decks that didn't completely suck was the Deckbuilder's Toolkit, and just playing.

Thanks skibo, actually today i did buy one of those duel decks. i just havent got a chance to use them yet. i've looked into the intro decks as well and ive noticed that decks like 'grab for power' and 'blood and fire' are like $30 or so while any of the dark ascension intro decks are like $12. im wondering now, is there any particular reason for the wide price gap for these intros?

If those M12 intro decks are going for $30, someone is getting ripped off. The cards in them are worth less than $10. Duel decks or event decks are good for new players, while intro decks are pretty low-power and not really worth playing with. I recommend event decks to anyone who's planning to go to a Standard tournament, and duel decks for anyone who plans to just play with their friends.
those m12 decks on amazon and on ebay for around $30 when i checked

those event decks look great. im considering both of them.. even if i dont ever play in tournaments
Usually the core set intro packs go up in price more so than the block expansion intro packs because of availability, especially in the spring time, when the core set becomes obsolete, and the next year's core set intro packs are relased.

I think that the core set products should be printed with enough product to be able to be sold for one and a half years, or one year tops.  It seems that it sells out when the third set of the block expansion starts to be spoiled.  It was like that with the spoiling of New Phyrexia, and how the M11 intro packs aren't available in any of the FLGS near my area, except for the Green Red Stampede of Beasts.

Another reason is that, stores jack up the price becuse it is hard to find.  M12 intro packs are hard to find, ergo, the price is increased.  I wouldn't say that for the Green Red Entangling webs deck.  Ironically, 3 of the FLGS I checked only had that deck left, and one copy to boot.
Nah Nah Nah... Nah Nah Nah... SPORTSCENTER... THE PLACE FOR SPORTS
i see

but the cards themselves are still being printed in boosters arent they? $30 for an intro is kind of dumb now that i know that event decks are cheaper. yeah i did notice that the entangling webs deck was cheaper than the others.

i almost bought the grab for power deck on amazon, im glad i didnt now. i went and bought a bunch of used commons off ebay for pretty cheap. and i also decided to buy a 2012 core set fat pack.
MASTERSTRATEGIST:

Well the price difference was halved/doubled, so asumed there was a chance that you hadn't seen that dueldecks consisted of two decks. But then again you never mentioned dueldecks.

I'm actually having trouble with understanding sarcasm, which may be why I have gained my friend MOIMOI!

He follows me everywhere in here. Sort of like a pet/pest. I have a hard time figuring out which it is
MASTERSTRATEGIST:

But then again you never mentioned dueldecks.

i think i did mention them somewhere let me check

"Thanks skibo, actually today i did buy one of those duel decks."

oh, there it is. i own one.
Considering that I wrote first, I'm pretty sure that I'm not following you around but just came back to the post that had a red square with a number in it. But keep being delusional
MOIMOI:

Ah! 22 minutes later!

Well, you found this new poster first, but the next one belongs to me!

And I do believe that it is pure coincidence that you post so close to my time of posting, so I will refrain from calling you a planes-stalker :D

enough please. i'd appreciate it if we could keep from spamming my thread.
Sorry
i just bought some event packs and boosters. ive put over $100 into this game total now and im still learning the rules. the addiction is starting.
i just bought some event packs and boosters. ive put over $100 into this game total now and im still learning the rules. the addiction is starting.

lol im getting into the game too however im not sure i can afford to gain a 2nd addiction to wittle away my loose change LOL  (first pokemon now magic whats next? yugioh? *shudders* no i think not lol) 

hope everything works out i'll be attending my first FMN and prerelease next weekend so depending on if it is draft or standard i might pick up an intro deck or event deck depending on price :D

being poor~ish sucks :P 

lol im getting into the game too however im not sure i can afford to gain a 2nd addiction to wittle away my loose change LOL  (first pokemon now magic whats next? yugioh? *shudders* no i think not lol) 

hope everything works out i'll be attending my first FMN and prerelease next weekend so depending on if it is draft or standard i might pick up an intro deck or event deck depending on price :D

being poor~ish sucks :P 

i think that if you're going to play at a FNM then you should pick up an event deck. they're about 20-24 bucks. they look to be much better than an intro deck

i think that if you're going to play at a FNM then you should pick up an event deck. they're about 20-24 bucks. they look to be much better than an intro deck

Well the FNM im going to does either Draft or standard so i won;t know until i get there so if it's draft i'll do that if it's standard i'll buy a deck (intro decks are around $20-25 and events are around 30 here in australia D: )

the main reason for going to FNM is the prerelease is right after it haha so it's to kill time
A midnight pre-release, eh? I went to one of those for Innistrad. Lots of players, lots of fun, but I have a hard enough time playing well when I'm fresh. I tried to go home and take a nap before so I'd be awake, but the impending excitement of going to the event was too much and kept me from getting any rest. Still fun though. Enjoy yourself.
opened 9 dark ascension booster packs today and got 3 mythics. 2 mythics were in 1 pack

Withengar Unbound
Havengul Lich
Huntmaster of the Fells

after googling prices it looks like the only one i should be happy about is Huntmaster of the Fells

and got two foil cards:
Young Wolf
Vault of the Archangel

i just edited and fixed the spellng. sorry guys
opened a pack today and got another Huntmaster of the Fells (what the?)

does anybody want one? :P
question for you guys, does a 2012 core set pack include cards from various blocks of this year (like dark ascension or innistrad)? or is it its own block?
question for you guys, does a 2012 core set pack include cards from various blocks of this year (like dark ascension or innistrad)? or is it its own block?

Magic 2012 is it's own set. Some of the cards in it are reprints, and some are new (and some were reprinted since it's release). You can use gatherer.wizards.com to see what is in the set.

~ Tim 
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Before you continue to buy cards, here is what I suggest(though I am fairly new to M:tG myself):

Download Cockatrice, an online M:tG simulator

Look up intro/event/dual decks and put the cards into the deck editor

Test them out on Cockatrice

THEN purchase the cards.

Of course if you are like me and just enjoy large stacks of cards to mess with, then you don't really need to do that, but if you are trying to get whisked into winning FNM's and tournaments, I would start with Cockatrice. 
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.
Sign In to post comments