Trading stories?

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
I figured that everyone has an awesome trade story, where you got incredible value out of a trade. I got a bronze bombshell and an Umezawa's Jitte today for a Brion stoutarm and a Ruhan of the fumori.

Anyone else have cool stories like this to share? 
I got a foil koth of the hammer for elspeth, knight-errant. nuff' said.
Woot! Go RED! I love red! Red is awesome! Did I mention I love red?
those personality things
Suprisingly enough, in that test, I'm not red I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

Boss smileys: Come check out the Expanded Multiverse Project for great stories and a great community
quotes
56778328 wrote:
Why did you post it here? "Hey, all you guys who play this game! I'm not gonna play it!" "Umm... Ok, dude."
I was in the middle of a  game and someone was bugging me about wanting to trade. I was trying to ignore him and focus on te game, and he goes, "What would you give me for this?"

Without missing a beat, I look up at him and go, "A compliment."

He didn't give me the card or anything, but he got the message at that point.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

I got an epic trading story. Back in 2003, during the release of Mirrodin, I bought a booster box the day of release. I got Platinum Angel (that was a big deal back then). After two months of wielding five different artifact decks (one of each color), I was working a lot and decided to quit the game, keeping only my monoblack reanimator deck (this minus the sideboard). I sell all my rares for a total of 50 dollars. I had an amazing collection: Invasion Dragons, Exalted Angels; just tons of awesome cards.

After that, I had about 3000 cards left (some scrap rares and all my commons and uncommons). I give the entire collection as charity to my friend's cousin. He was really poor, had no job, had a miserable collection; long story short, it was my good deed of the day. He returns the good deed by being a total weirdo. Stalking my friends on myspace and spreading rumors about me to them, we are talking stalker status here.

In summery, my 2000 dollar collection for 50 bucks and more headache than you can imagine.

And the conflict goes on! About four years later, I build up another collection and my little brother (being a total brat) yanks the Ethernet cable connected to my computer, tipping over my cup of kool-aid onto my binder of rares. Dear.. god.. the rage. Some of the best rares were wasted (like all three Master Transmuter); which were brand new at that time and 8-10 bucks each. I sold the collection in sections and made about 200 bucks on ebay, I invested over 3000 into it.

I doubt I will ever again begin a collection. I just get pulled in by my own luck. I'm seriously lucky when it comes to pulling treasure from boosters, beyond the limits of the average lucky person. I'd love to share all my amazing pull stories, but that's not on topic, so forget about it.

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

I got an alpha black lotus for 10$.... too bad it was drawn on a cereal box cardboard
I love trolls Dont hate me because I'm blunt and you cannot handle it
I once got 3 fetches  (b/g 2x, r/u) for a foil flameblast dragon. I felt dirty afterward though. But the guy said the fetches sucked and he hates them with a passion..so I relieved him of them.

Bought a guy's whole collection for $50. I'm happy, especially since there were near-mint Power Nine cards in there.

I also once traded a fat pack for two Sword of War and Peace, a Grave Titan, and two Inferno Titan. And a Sorin Markov and a Reverberate!

139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
I got an epic trading story. Back in 2003, during the release of Mirrodin, I bought a booster box the day of release. I got Platinum Angel (that was a big deal back then). After two months of wielding five different artifact decks (one of each color), I was working a lot and decided to quit the game, keeping only my monoblack reanimator deck (this minus the sideboard). I sell all my rares for a total of 50 dollars. I had an amazing collection: Invasion Dragons, Exalted Angels; just tons of awesome cards.

Platinum Angel, while it did see moderate competetive play in TwelvePost and the likes, was never much more than a Timmy/Johnny rare. It was not worth nineteen bajillion dollars ever. Post-release, it was never much more than $10 on a good day. Invasion Dragons were and are nothing more than Timmy fodder, especially so far after Invasion. Exalted Angels is the only card actually worth anything in this quote. Even then, her value largely depends on the time of events.

In summery, my 2000 dollar collection...

What you spent on it != What it's worth

And the conflict goes on! About four years later, I build up another collection and my little brother (being a total brat) yanks the Ethernet cable connected to my computer, tipping over my cup of kool-aid onto my binder of rares. Dear.. god.. the rage. Some of the best rares were wasted (like all three Master Transmuter); which were brand new at that time and 8-10 bucks each. I sold the collection in sections and made about 200 bucks on ebay, I invested over 3000 into it.

If Master Transmuter was among your best rares, your story just lost an enormous amount of credibility. Master Transmuter has been fodder since its release. Its value fluctuating with discovery and failure and pretty artwork and never breaching $5.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
@Berliner:
Yeah, I think anything for or more is...generally not on Spike's wish list. Platinum Angel has her uses, but she's a niche card.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

If Master Transmuter was among your best rares, your story just lost an enormous amount of credibility. Master Transmuter has been fodder since its release. Its value fluctuating with discovery and failure and pretty artwork and never breaching $5.

I had tons of better cards, in both collections, but I feel it would be too much trouble to list them all; to name a few, I had foil Mutavault, foil Exotic Orchard; a few foil mythicalara blockcards (which is when I quit and when mythic was introduced). I had lots of fancy standard cards too; like two Meddling Mage, two Oversoul of Dusk, two Stillmoon Cavalier, Demigod of Revenge, etc, etc.

Just check my personal reanimator deck (minus the sideboard); in there alone I had a playset of Demonic Tutor, two Cabal Coffers, two Damnation, and tons of other expensive rares.

It's been too long to list with anything more than a vague accuracy the contents of my first collection (from the time I started playing [Judgement], until I quit [Mirrodin]).

I was a big legends/power fan, so stuff like Prophecy legends, Prophecy avatars, Invasion dragons, Onslaught legends, Onslaught lords, Onslaught muses, Extended format legends, and other notable rares of that time.

In the current standard, I had multiple copies of Goblin Sharpshooter, Goblin Piledriver, Siege-Gang Commander, Raven Guild Master, Hypnox, Laquatus's Champion, Nantuko Shade, Phantom Nishoba, Traumatize, Vampiric Dragon, Dragon Tyrant, Imperial Hellkite, Kilnmouth Dragon, Seedborn Muse, and as I mentioned before Exalted Angel, just to give you a perspective.

I had tons of better cards, in both collections, but I feel it would be too much trouble to list them all; to name a few, I had foil Mutavault, foil Exotic Orchard; a few foil mythicalara blockcards (which is when I quit and when mythic was introduced). I had lots of fancy standard cards too; like two Meddling Mage, two Oversoul of Dusk, two Stillmoon Cavalier, Demigod of Revenge, etc, etc.

Just check my personal reanimator deck (minus the sideboard); in there alone I had a playset of Demonic Tutor, two Cabal Coffers, two Damnation, and tons of other expensive rares.

It's been too long to list with anything more than a vague accuracy the contents of my first collection (from the time I started playing [Judgement], until I quit [Mirrodin]).

I was a big legends/power fan, so stuff like Prophecy legends, Prophecy avatars, Invasion dragons, Onslaught legends, Onslaught lords, Onslaught muses, Extended format legends, and other notable rares of that time.

In the current standard, I had multiple copies of Goblin Sharpshooter, Goblin Piledriver, Siege-Gang Commander, Raven Guild Master, Hypnox, Laquatus's Champion, Nantuko Shade, Phantom Nishoba, Traumatize, Vampiric Dragon, Dragon Tyrant, Imperial Hellkite, Kilnmouth Dragon, Seedborn Muse, and as I mentioned before Exalted Angel, just to give you a perspective.

Foil Exotic Orchard and foil Mutavault were worth quite a bit (Mutavault continues to be).

The Alara mythics are and were jank.

Meddling Mage lost value very quickly after its release. Oversoul of Dusk was never much beyond filler. Stillmoon Cavalier's value depends greatly upon the time of events. Demigod of Revenge's value depends less upon the time of events, but also depends slightly on the printing of the card.

Your deck's valuables include Akroma, Angel of Wrath, Damnation, Demonic Tutor, and Cabal Coffer's. Of those... Akroma depends on the printing, date, and even then isn't stellar. Damnation depends on the printing and date. Demonic Tutor depends on the printing and date. Cabal Coffers has only been a trade-filler up until recently.

All of those legends/power/notable rares are entirely worthless.

Keeping in line with tradition, most of that final list is also worthless. Only the goblins, Exalted Angel, and the Nantuko Shade are/were worth something. Note that  the Nantuko Shade and Exalted Angel are currently near worthless.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:
I did a trade a while back with a friend who mostly plays green and red decks, so I think I got some good value from it.

I traded: Bear Umbra x2, Chandra's Phoenix, Quicksilver Amulet, Skullclamp, Curse of Stalked Prey, and Terastodon.
(Might have been a few other commons thrown in there to sweeten the pot, but those were the notable cards I remember)

I got:
Sword of Fire and Ice, Aether Vial x2, Loxodon Warhammer, Isochron Scepter, Godless Shrine, Windswept Heath, Frantic Search x4, Daze x3, Careful Study x3, Innocent Blood x3, Dark Ritual x3.

Of note is that most of those multiples (except the Aether Vials) were just excess multiples he had.

However I won't forget the time I traded a foil Kokusho for two Kiku's . *Sniff* Why was I so dumb back then?

Most of the cards are still at least 5 bucks or more, that's not worthless. I would consider 0.50 to 1.00 begin worthless. Most of the stated was circa 2003, so all the cards were from the original sets, and at that time were worth 10 to 20 dollars each. The others (like Oversoul/Demigod) were all original set versions and worth 10-20 bucks also. They were from a booster box of Shadowmoor I got on the day of its release (except Demigod, which I got from a fat pack months later).

On the Shadowmoor release day, I got a couple single packs also (the first opened presented me a foil Sower of Temptation). In the booster box I pulled a foil Oona, Queen of the Fae first pack (first pack I opened was the one in the center), and when all was said and done I had another Oona, Queen of the Fae, two Deus of Calamity, two Oversoul of Dusk, a Ghastlord of Fugue, a Fulminator Mage, two Vexing Shusher, two Swans of Bryn Argoll, a Reflecting Pool, two Wooded Bastion (one foil), a Mystic Gate, a Fire-lit Thicket, a Twilight Shepherd, and a Runed Halo; just to cover the rares (also got a lot of great uncommons).

Most of the cards are still at least 5 bucks or more, that's not worthless. I would consider 0.50 to 1.00 begin worthless. Most of the stated was circa 2003, so all the cards were from the original sets, and at that time were worth 10 to 20 dollars each.

I reeeally hate to tell you this, but...

"Dreamborn Muse (LGN), 0.01, 0.00, 0.01, 0.01, 0.01, 0.00,"

lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:
I understand it's not expensive now, but when Legions was brand new the card was worth 5 bucks easy; infact, they were all pretty popular, especially Seedborn Muse which was 15-20 bucks.

I purchased a ton of PSA graded Alpha Magic cards three years ago.

Example: Bought an Alpha Time Vault for 330$.. Mine is PSA 9, though.

/me likes

EDIT: I actually purchased the card from a renown seller.. So I had to pay up for it... back then..  
Owner of The MTGO Bazaar bot chain Search "mtgo bazaar" to find an open bot

Platinum Angel, while it did see moderate competetive play in TwelvePost and the likes, was never much more than a Timmy/Johnny rare. It was not worth nineteen bajillion dollars ever. Post-release, it was never much more than $10 on a good day. Invasion Dragons were and are nothing more than Timmy fodder, especially so far after Invasion. Exalted Angels is the only card actually worth anything in this quote. Even then, her value largely depends on the time of events.

In summery, my 2000 dollar collection...

What you spent on it != What it's worth

Good god, you really are in love with yourself, aren't you?  You hardly ever have anything constructive to add.  All you do is try (way too hard) to show everyone else that you know more about the game than they do.  Get over yourself, or at least have something to say that isn't condescending, arrogant or generally douchetacular.

Anyway, back to the topic, I once got the following for a Jester's Cap way back in the mid 90's when the cap was all the rage:

Volcanic Island
Balance
Celestial Dawn
Elixir of Vitality (yawn, I know, but hey, I was young)
Serra Angel (also a big deal back then)

That Volcanic Island is still the only ABUR dual I own, and currently lives in my Lord of Tresserhorn EDH deck.  Of course, I'll leave it to jellydonut to dissect everything I just said and tell you how my story lacks credibility.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

Good good, you really are in love with yourself, aren't you?  You hardly ever have anything constructive to add.  All you do is try (way too hard) to show everyone else that you know more about the game than they do.  Get over yourself, or at least have something to say that isn't condescending, arrogant or generally douchetacular.

I made twenty-six posts yesterday. You made two. I certainly expect to have more non-constructive posts than such an upstanding member as yourself on any given day, but that does not mean I have no constructive posts to speak of.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:
Back when it just got out, I got a Surgical Extraction for a Mox Opal. I figured it would go way up in price and be profitable later. I thought it would be the Stoneforge of this block.

Yeah... My wife still remembers it vividly. 

Rules Advisor

Quotes
76783093 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
58331438 wrote:
56945988 wrote:
Rancor dies to in-response removal.
Yeah... Until next game, where it'll be right back. Seriously, there's no way to deal with Rancor in any format. It should be banned, except Gleemax is a lobbyist for the Rancor party, so that'll never happen.
You can't ban rancor, it just returns to your deck.
58331438 wrote:
57461258 wrote:
You might want to actually talk to the Flavor & Storyline Board people... since, you know, our whole reason for playing Magic is the flavor. I'm willing to bet you'll get a lot more interest there than in General.
Indeed, both posters down there would be thrilled.
57817638 wrote:
I think I wasn't direct enough in my last post. I'll try to fix it now. Ahem... NO ONE CARES there you have it.
57471038 wrote:
When talks about banning Jace first started, I was thinking that I would see him banned come June 20th. But as I think more about it, I don't really think that Jace is the problem anymore. Sure his power level leaves very little to the imagination (opening Jace is like opening a refrigerator box with a naked girl on the inside), and sure his price does have a strong impact on what players choose to play (playing Jace is like being intimate with a woman and she doesn't charge you in the morning), but it is not the source of all the problems in Standard.
76973988 wrote:
How do people think saving room to print more abilities on cards is dumbing down the game?

Do you really think, say, Akroma would ever be printed if she said, "Akroma can block by creatures with this ability and cannot be blocked by creatures without this ability.  If a creature without this ability would deal combat damage by Akroma would be destroyed, prevent all combat damage that creature would deal to Akroma this combat.  Attacking does not cause Akroma to tap.  If Akroma is blocked and deals lethal damage, it deals the remainder of its damage to the defending player.  Akroma may attack and use abilities that require tapping in the casting cost the turn it enters the battlefield.  Akroma cannot be damaged, enchanted, equipped, blocked or targeted by black or red sources" rather than her "dumbed down" wording she has?  No freaking way.  Keywording and shorthand allows them to make complicated cards easy to play with, allowing them to be printed in the first place.
57817638 wrote:
The creation of praetors was worth it just because now amoeboid changeling is a praetor.
57140668 wrote:
1. cast frankie peanuts2. ask opponent "will you concede the game this turn"? if they say yes, you win; if they say no, play a staying power
3. subsequently ask "will you attack this turn"? and "will you cast a spell this turn"? (using a Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir for the second question if necessary) to ensure they can't disrupt the combo
4. donate them a platinum angel
5. play a mox lotus and braingeyser them for every card in their library. play an opalescence and donate them a glorious anthem and a blacker lotus, then play enchanted evening. play and activate a mindslaver and then donate them a fastbond and the mox lotus (returning one of the donates to your hand with eternal witness or whatever)
6. during their turn, play every permanent in their hand (playing lands with fastbond) then (as yourself) cast mirrorweave on the blacker lotus, so every permanent becomes a copy of it. proceed to tear up every card they control, and hopefully do it before they notice that they aren't bound by staying power's ability anymore and can concede
82423538 wrote:
57471038 wrote:
82423538 wrote:
One part of the statement being true=/=the whole statement true.
Whatever. I'm still here about ten minutes away. Whenever you want to get destroyed in Magic, I'm available.
I would like to get destroyed in Magic, actually. Do you know anybody good enough?
57617478 wrote:
Please format your statements in a way that doesn't look like a baboon hit its face on your keyboard.
57140668 wrote:
why did Garruk Relentless lose a loyalty counter
Show
to get to the other side
89522235 wrote:
You're such an obvious troll that you have hexproof and : Regenerate.
56957928 wrote:
56776038 wrote:
Dark Ritual being overpowered is determined more by what is done with it than the card itself.
True, but the fact that it enables so many ridiculous things is pretty telling. It's like, sure I can use a shotgun as a bludgeoning instrument, but that doesn't make it not a shotgun.
79035425 wrote:
Shortly before Serra died, she transferred her spark into an angel whose full name was Asha Avacyn Bolas. Her dragon father groomed her for her positions in Alara and Innistrad, and she's also been getting help from her uncle Ugin in the form of Urza, who was resurrected as Marit Lage to be the avatar as which she projects herself into material realms. Grieslbrand is a split personality who sometimes wanders the planes disguised as a human woman named Liliana Vess.
97610188 wrote:
Yeah that (Content Removed) really annoys me. Moderated by MY_self right about naahowwww!
93446159 wrote:
Dilleux_Lepaire just won the thread.
57461258 wrote:
And, as usual, Dilleux wins the entire thread. Nice work, sir, nice work.
99113151 wrote:
They need to make 9 layers of zones where cards go when they "die". Much like Hell.
56778328 wrote:
Wow, holy doggy poop, kids, obvious statement is obvious.
56776038 wrote:
122053101 wrote:
i don't think your geting it WotC is trying to kill the comption to make it so that there shity app is the only one left.
I haven't tried the app. How is its use of English grammar? Cheers!
57471038 wrote:
Everyone's life would be easier if players would, instead of coming to the 'net for help with a deck, just netdeck and be done with it. And I'm not talking about some Top 8 lists, for the Casualists, too, can benefit from netdecking. I've netdecked plenty of decks from the Casual Play forums from users such as Mown, Raedien, Floopfoot, and a few others. I snatched straight the heck out of my web browser. Yes, people, your original idea fell victim to a savage netdecker. You have been assimiliated. Suppose I wanted a Zombie deck. Why on earth would I spend time searching Gatherer for a decent list of Zombie cards when Raedien already did it for me? Taking time to be creative or waiting on people on the forums to tell you why your deck sucks or 'go to Casual forums' is a disasterous waste of time (to me).
56957928 wrote:
82423538 wrote:
If WotC started putting $100 bills in packs, the players would complain that they folded them wrong.
No, they just spam them with ban requests. That being said, Magic was ruined back in Alpha when they added all that rules and cards [Debutantes avert your eyes]. My friends and I still like playing it the "pure" way (Basically we go into the woods and hit eachother with wiffle bats while shouting made up obscenities. You know, the way Garfield wanted it to be played).
56957928 wrote:
Don't worry about it. I've come up with a list of changes to fix EDH. -First off, there's no commander. -The minimum deck size is 60 cards, and each deck can have up to four of each card, save basic lands and relentless rats. Also decks have no color identity. -Starting life total is 20. And voila, now things are balanced.
89522235 wrote:
Here's a clever play you can try yourself: -Convince friend to run relentless rats.dec in legacy tournament -Get a deck with lots of mill, yixlid jailer, and humility -Drop humility and jailer, wait for him to dump his hand, mill him out -All his rats now have no abilities. Call a judge because he's playing an illegal deck with more than 4 of a single card. -Get him/her banned from competitive magic play
142055101 wrote:
But how to mark them without making the individual sleeve different! You could buy a skunk and slam it's butt on you deck (pardon the french) Then after the game just sniff at your opponent's pile of cards and you will know if any of your cards are there!!!
141434757 wrote:
In Soviet Russia, Sorin opens You
71235715 wrote:
L, is for the leather gloves you weaaaar. O, is for the organs that guy could spaaaare. V, is very very, extraordinay. E, is for every vagrant i butchered in a wine cellar befooooore.
57052258 wrote:
The outer layer of the Magic: the Gathering box, the carton, or crust, is fairly thin and light, and contains largely aluminosilcates. Within that lies the middle layer, consisting of the familiar booster pack. Although solid, the booster packs' high temperatures allow them to acutally move around within the booster box. This flow, sometimes called convection, is cited by frustrated box mappers as one of WOTC's most genious uses of thermodynamics since the Ravnica block. No one knows what lies at the core of the booster box, but scientists theorize that it must be especially dense in order to make up for the large amount of fluff distributed amongst the booster packs.
58232598 wrote:
88993869 wrote:
Torpor Orb is absolutely godawful against Vexing Devil.
whoever is playing vexing devil is probably losing anyways
56957928 wrote:
I imagine [Ajani 3's] second ability involves him hurling the creature at your opponent Brion Stoutarm style, then the guy is just like "Okay, that may have worked, but don't- GOD DAMN IT!" as he does it again because cats don't give a **** :33.
56957928 wrote:
"Do or do not, there is no try." - Albus Dumbledore, The Lord of the Rings.
89522235 wrote:
68978039 wrote:
Its like that one time Elves broke out in a field of Jund. Elves became a resurgent hit, then died off again once Jund adapted to the rest of the field of G/W that it required mass removal that inherently pooped on Elves too. Submit to the menace. Delver can, and will blot out the sun.
Then we shall play in the shade.
89522235 wrote:
I'm sorry, this forum isn't for getting bad advice on mediocre decks, that's standard deck help. This forum is for starting ****storms.
97820278 wrote:
139359831 wrote:
Your advice would only lead me to make generic, boring, and unworthy content. It's of no use to me.
I just got this image of you as an architect, having finished a building suspended by only a small pole in its southwest corner, saying it's original. Then the building collapses.
56957928 wrote:
I for one love the flavor of legendary lands. "I remember my days as a youth at Tolarian Academy." "Wow, small multiverse, I actually went there too." "WAIT, DON'T- Well ****, there's $200,000 in student loans well spent."
56957928 wrote:
And flavor goes out the window when you cast a second copy of a planeswalker right after the first one dies, so... "Hey Nissa, I need a favor." "You just asked me for a 'favor' like thirty seconds ago, and it turned out to be having Sarkhan Transmogrify my only follower into a dragon like 5 times -which dickery aside also violates some laws of causality - and then you let me get beaten over the head by that hedron crab." "...I'll give you " "...Well all right then."
57150868 wrote:
GM, I don't think Dill is better than you. I KNOW it. Even if he wakes up every morning, clubs a baby seal, steals all the TV remotes from within a block's radius of his house and then robs hungry orphans of their food he'd be better than you, for the simple reason that he learns from his mistakes.
143211137 wrote:
57033358 wrote:
Tamiyo vs. Gideon
What would they have to fight about? Like, all I can think of now is Gideon going "Hey, long-ears! I'm gathering a group of 'Walkers together to fight some tentacle monsters.....you want in?" and Tamiyo going "Ew! Hentai no bakka Gideon-desu desu!" and flying away.
76783093 wrote:
I open 4 packs just to be on the safe side. Not only do I get more cards than everyone else, but I also get to spend the rest of the night off. Win Win.
191752181 wrote:
MaRo has a thing for people opening boosters with bad cards. But since he can only get so many bad cards printed in each set, he has found a devious way of getting more bad cards into circulation: He makes entire print sheets with just bad rares, then puts them onto the assembly line. He proceeds to wring his hands and twirl his evil mustache that he grew for twirling purposes as a lightning bolt strikes in the background. Afterwards, he goes to make sure that the good cards are only opened by everyone's friends, and that we all only get to open bad cards. He does this by memorising each booster, than switching them around accordingly. Whenever someone complains about a card, he immediately jumps out from behind a chair to yell "WELL, IT'S NOT FOR YOU!" before merging back into the shadows in order to devise new ways in which he can screw over players, then claim that he has valid reasons for doing so.
97820278 wrote:
192729031 wrote:
You open a booster pack, and staring back at you from the rare slot is a Lotleth Troll? At least I can stick him in my EDH deck and still have four for my standard constructed.
Because lol troll
56874518 wrote:
It helped that I more or less skipped most of GM_Champion's longer diatribes. I only have so many brain cells I'm willing to sacrifice each day.
192931349 wrote:
Mark Rosewater is sitting in a seemingly innocuous cable TV van, outside of Bankaimastery's house. Sitting nearby are two hardened criminal hackers, fresh out of prison, and filled with resentment at their lack of physical fitness. "Have you managed to hack his brainwaves yet? The set deadline's coming up fast." "We're almost through. It should be coming up on the screen any second." The hacker presses a button, and Kevin's thoughts flash onto the screen. Mark and the hackers stare in amazement at the sheer beauty, the elegance, and the raw truth of what they see. It's like the ending to 2001: A Space Odyssey. Brilliant light shines across the screen, the truth of existence is made clear to them, and they despair at their own foolishness, their own ignorance, their own inadequacy. And then they steal his ideas. As they return back to R&D, Mark sneers at a haggard old man chained to a cast-iron sphere. The man looks up from his laborious task of breaking rocks in the dungeon of Wizards of the Coast headquarters, and asks a question: "Kevin, my greatest student. He - he's all right, isn't he? You didn't hurt him?" Mark deals him a weighty blow with his boot. "Know your place, Richard. Get back to work."
57023768 wrote:
Now show me on the Garruk doll where Zac Hill ruined your enjoyment of Magic...
63711769 wrote:
I'm only opposed to it because it bears so little relation to how people actually play the game. The example of Miracles is actually a much better one then the Clone example I was trying to use. From the game's perspective, the card can move instantly from face down in the library to revealed in the hand and that's fine for the rules. But in real life, we can't actually do that, so the card spends a good bit of time in locations that are neither where that player's library is nor where that player's hand is. And that's fine for real life. What I don't want is the disconnect to be explicitly codified. Along the lines of
183664.697 A game of Magic as laid out by these rules exists only as a pure Platonic ideal, utterly unrealizable by fallible mortals limited by the confines of physicality and the ravages of evil and sin. 183664.698 The cake is a lie, too.
I know it's true, but I don't want the rules to actually straight-up tell me that.
147137503 wrote:
77120821 wrote:
Pfft this cant be serious can it? If it is please delete your account OP. Its not even close to ban worthy, considering what JTMS and stoneforge had to accomplish to get banned i see the WotC selling magic to aquire Pokemon before that ever happens.
I'm trying to imagine sorin markov as a gym leader in one of those pokemon games which you have to beat him to get his badge... somehow I imagine that he would stab you in the chest with his sword before giving you the badge, even if you beat his pokemon....
196239043 wrote:
Personally, I'd be fine with tea time but then I'm not gonna waste the mana summoning Emrakul, the Aeons Torn. He always takes all the sugar, drinks the whole pot of Earl Grey and doesn't even say thank you. SO. RUDE.

JustTerrorIt wrote:

JuliusPringle wrote:

All I want to do is sit down and play magic, but when I walked in yesterday, (since I didn't talk to anyone) nobody talked to me and I silently bought what I wanted and walked out.

If you don't talk to anyone, that increases the odds that no one will talk to you.

JuliusPringle wrote:

So how do I just... introduce myself? "Hi, my name is Adam, wanna play magic with me?" Do I go to the counter and talk to the cashier?

Yeah. Talk to the cashier. Tell him/her that you want a Black Lotus, and if they don't have one tell them that the store isn't on par with what you expected.

Reach into your back left pocket. Pull out a deck list that you copied directly from some ChannelFireball top 8 Standard discussion, and ask for all the cards, as is, on that list. Then, ask for some random, probably terrible cards from whatever set is Standard legal. Say it's tech for the upcoming changes in the metagame.

Pull out a deck, and tell some random dude you wanna test (you have to use the term "test" for this to work) for Standard. Make sure that deck contains Kitchen Finks and Alluring Siren. Maybe throw in Nyxathid for good measure.

Finally, before you leave, spill (make it look like an accident) one hundred singleton, random cards onto the floor. Pick them up, put them in a pile, and say "EEE-DEE-AYCH".

I know this sounds dumb at first, but it will work. With the method outlined above, you will draw the attention of players that play older formats by asking for cards that no one on Earth can reasonably afford. You will get the attention of the wanna-be pro, Stomp-n00bz players by pulling out a well known decklist and declare that you have "tech" to make it better. You will get the attention of all the kind, helpful players by seemingly not knowing the most common format by having non-Standard legal cards in a deck that you claim is Standard legal. Finally, you catch all the rest of the Magic players by saying "EEE-DEE-AYCH" (EDH (or Commander)).

And there you have it. You will be talking to more people than you would have wanted to talk to in no time.

Smoke_Stack wrote:

EDH is the best format anyway

See, it's starting already.

Break the Card
What is Break the Card?
Break the Card is a regular thread in the Cards and Combo Forum. Quite simply, the participants are given a Johnnystatic card (e.g. Xenograft) and are asked to build a deck around it. The winner and honorable mentions are sigged below. Get brewing!
Week 1 : Xenograft
This week's Break the Card was based around Xenograft. Thread : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27681049/Break_the_card_:_Xenograft?pg=1 Winner : Axterix with his Vampdrazi deck. Finalist : Vektor480 with his Ally/Golem/Plant deck. Honorable mentions : Zammm for the Turntimber Ranger combo and TinGorilla for suggesting Sarkhan the Mad.
Week 2 : Mindlock Orb
Here's the link to the Mindlock Orb contest : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27697565/Break_the_Card_:_Mindlock_Orb?sdb=1&pg=last#497536269 Winner : Axterix with his Maralen of the Mornsong deck. Honorable mentions : Void_Elemental.
Week 3 : Bludgeon Brawl
Here's the link to Break the Card : Bludgeon Brawl : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27715169/Break_the_Card_:_Bludgeon_Brawl?sdb=1&pg=last#498208797 Winner : Vektor and his Grab the World deck. Finalist : Crandor with his Awesome Aliteration deck. Honorable mentions : RP Jesus with his Wat deck and Zix200 with his Signet Renewal deck.
Week 4 : Followed Footsteps
This week was Followed Footsteps : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27748677/Break_the_Card_:_Followed_Footsteps?pg=1 Winner : Tevish_Szat with his Exponential Growth deck. Honorable mentions : Zix with his Carbon Copies deck and Escef with his Fungus of Speed and Time deck.
Week 5 : Delaying Shield
This week's card was Delaying Shield : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27790101/Break_the_Card_:_Delaying_Shield Winner : Tevish_Szat. Finalist : Vampire_Bat. Honorable Mention : Zix200.
Week 6 : Painter's Servant
This week's card was Painter's Servant : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27940861/Break_the_Card_:_Painters_Servant?pg=1 Winner : Tevish_Szat with his Paint it Black deck. Finalist : Wprundv with his Tiger, Tiger Painted Bright deck.
Week 7 : Venser, the Sojourner
This week's card was Venser, the Sojourner : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27977489/Break_the_Card_:_Venser,_the_Sojourner Winner : Izzett with her "Venser, Trickster Trader" deck. Finalist : Wprundv with his "Tactical Sojourner Action" deck.
Week 8 : Personal Sanctuary
This week's card was Personal Sanctuary : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28005461/Break_the_card_:_Personal_Sanctuary Winner : MrQuizzles. Honorable mention : Vampire_Bat and UbberSheep
Week 9 : Sundial of the Infinite
This week's card was Sundial of the Infinite : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28038277/Break_the_card_:_Sundial_of_the_Infinite Finalist : Izzett with her "Afterlife Trespassers" deck. Winner : Xeromus with his "Fortune 500" deck.
Week 10 : Jace's Archivist
This week's card was Jace's Archivist : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28063377/Break_the_Card_:_Jaces_Archivist. Finalists : Jentaru with his "Consecration of the Draw" deck and HereticSmitty with his "ADHD: The deck" deck. Winner : JaxsonBateman with his "The Archives Are Endless!" deck.
Week 11 : Search the City
This week's card was Search the City : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29518555/Break_the_Card_:_Search_the_City Finalist : Mown with "A Thousand Footsteps". Winner : Desolation_masticore with "Burn the City".
Week 12 : Fiend Hunter
This week's card was Fiend Hunter : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29530975/Break_the_Card_:_Fiend_Hunter Winner : Yuyu63 with "Carnival Hunting". Honorable mention : Dknowle's "Champion the Fiend".
Week 13 : Clock of Omens
This week's card was Clock of Omens : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29541549/Break_the_Card_:_Clock_of_Omens?pg=1 Winner : Dknowle's "The Myrs Go Marching".
Week 14 : Light of Sanction
This week's card was Light of Sanction : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29607219/Break_the_Card_:_Light_of_Sanction?pg=1 Winner : Zauzich's "Divine Plague".
Week 15 : Assemble the Legion
This week's card was Assemble the Legion : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29662307/Break_the_Card_:_Assemble_the_Legion Winner : JBTM's "Some Assembly Required".
Week 16 : High Tide
This week's cards were High Tide and/or Bubbling Muck : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29760427/Break_the_Card_:_High_Tide Winner : Mown's "Puppet Strings".
Week 17 : Illusionist's Bracers
This week's card was Illusionist's Bracers : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29776943/Break_the_Card_:_Illusionistss_Bracers Winner : Enigma256's "Tezzeret's Bracers"
Week 18 : Savor the Moment
This week's card was Savor the Moment : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29787235/Break_the_Card_:_Savor_the_Moment Winner : POSValkir's "A Savory Filibuster!"
Week 19 : Grinning Ignus
This week's card was Grinning Ignus : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29795547/Break_the_Card_:_Grinning_Ignus Winner : dknowle's "Luren' and Laughin'".
Week 20 : Transcendence
This week's card was Transcendence : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806481/Break_the_Card_:_Transcendence Winners : Mown's "Transcending Timing Restrictions" and Dknowle's "Blinded by Greed", tied for the win.
Week 21 : Mortus Strider
This week's card was Mortus Strider : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29818471/Break_the_Card_:_Mortus_Strider Winner : SimonGlume's "Mortus Head".
Week 22 : High Priest of Penance
This week's card was High Priest of Penance : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29917231/Break_the_Card_High_Priest_of_Penance Winners : JBTM's "Two Clerics and a Goblin walk into a (Bom)bar(dment)..." and POSValkir1's "Choke Their Rivers with Our Dead!".
Week 23 : False Cure
This week's card was False Cure :http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29964239/Break_the_Card_:_False_Cure Winner : Dknowle's "When Hippos Fly".

Week 24 : Akroan Horse

This week's card was Akroan Horse : http://community.wizards.com/forum/cards-and-combos/threads/4024821.

Winner : Dknowle's "Indian Giver".

Week 25 : Leylines

This week saw multiple cards being in the contest : all of the Leylines! http://community.wizards.com/forum/cards-and-combos/threads/4067621

Winner : POSValkir1's "Laying the Battle Lines".

Back when it just got out, I got a Surgical Extraction for a Mox Opal. I figured it would go way up in price and be profitable later. I thought it would be the Stoneforge of this block.

Yeah... My wife still remembers it vividly. 

xD Learn from Extirpate! Don't forget history!
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:
Today, I got an Elesh norn, grand cenobite for an avatar of woe, and oppression, a sundial of the infinite a Sorin's vengeance and another cheap black rare. 
I feel pretty awesome.
I won a standee of Kamahl which I traded to a kid for a Boros garrison, rakdos carnarium and a few commons. An older guy was going to offer me better cards, but the kid was happier with the standee than the guy would have been.
my little brother has this friend that plays magic. he traded his friend a pocket knife for a deck of 60 cards. in the deck are a sun titan and a grand abolisher

recently his friend sent him a text "did i trade you my sun titan? i must have slipped it into your deck by mistake."

what would you guys do in this scenerio. give the sun titan back?
Sounds like buyer's remorse.  I suppose it would depend on how old they are.  The younger they are, the more I'd lean toward giving the Sun Titan back.  However...if I were your little brother, I'd keep it.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

they're both 15. i think we're both leaning towards keeping it as well.
they're both 15. i think we're both leaning towards keeping it as well.

Fifteen is when you need to learn from mistakes and quit being a retard. If the friend really pisses about it, then give the Sun Titan back. It's not worth it that much. Otherwise, laugh and say "you did it".
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:
what would you guys do in this scenerio. give the sun titan back?

I would give it back. Sure it is a good card but the trust of a friend is surely worth more than carboard.

Plus sun titan is only a 5$ card.

I am not short on words, so please bear with the length of this letter. For openers, far too many people tolerate Ms. Konstant1n's shenanigans as long as they're presented in small, seemingly harmless doses. What these people fail to realize, however, is that if Ms. Konstant1n is going to talk about higher standards then she needs to live by those higher standards. To reiterate the main message of this letter, Ms. Konstant1n is against everything and for nothing.

lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:
^ boom goes the dynamite!!
Got 3 foil & 1 regular Swords to Plowshares for 1 ticket online.
It was from an automated shop and I must admit at that price it was a steal.

Well I still remember when a friend once gave me 2500 cards or so because he was bored of the game and knew I kept playing. I got some good stuff, but not the greatest cards ever. Most was from 4th edition up to Exodus. Still I had Darkness, Miracle Worker  and other low value cards from the old sets.

My decks, mostly casuals, but some I use online with some small changes: http://www.mtgvault.com/Profile.aspx?UserID=91484
I got a scroll rack, an ancient tomb, a volrath's stronghold[/c] and 13 other assorted goodies for 16 'crap' rares, including Lord of shatterskull pass, doubling chant and quicksilver dragon to name a few (Though the dragon isn't too bad for what my friend plans on doing with it.)

Also, the answer is yes, I have awesome friends with awesome cards. 
I've removed content from this thread because Personal Attacks are a violation of the Code of Conduct.  You can review the Code of Conduct here.  
Although this wasn't a trade; during a Zendikar draft I once got passed a Arid Mesa pack one and then a Foil Verdant catacombs pack 3!

At that point I didn't even care about draft.
New Article! Roxie Cards
I've removed content from this thread because Off Topic posts are a violation of the Code of Conduct.  You can review the Code of Conduct here.  
Method Actor 100% Storyteller 100% Butt Kicker 50% Tactician 50% Power Gamer 25% Specialist 25% Casual Gamer 25% The Code of Conduct is: http://wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1916 To contact Customer Service: http://wizards.custhelp.com
Sign In to post comments