Character Mini's and Models

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Where is the best place to purchase character models and minis online? 

Cheers,
Rob 
www.reapermini.com/Miniatures
Troll and Toad are good.
Maelstrom Games are good.

Etc etc.  There's tonnes of places, depending on your budget and requirements.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
56774838 wrote:
Far, far too many people seem to be enraged by the very thought of other people enjoying a version of the game that they don't.
Follow my my blog and my twitter, I also write stuff over at NewbieDM.com sometimes!
I've had good dealings with miniature market in the recently.

My top four sites (in order of preference) are:
Troll&Toad
Auggies
MiniatureMarket
PopularCollections

Also depends if you are a dm or pc. For pc's reaper us great, however if you are a dm buying lots of the same models if you want to create some mobs can crank the cost up. Gamesworkshop have some really good lord of the rings plastic models that make great heroic teir monsters, things like goblins, orcs, trolls, dwarfs, elves, etc
Also depends if you are a dm or pc. For pc's reaper us great, however if you are a dm buying lots of the same models if you want to create some mobs can crank the cost up. Gamesworkshop have some really good lord of the rings plastic models that make great heroic teir monsters, things like goblins, orcs, trolls, dwarfs, elves, etc

GW are super-expensive, though they are of consistently high quality.  You may want to investigate instead companies like Mantic, who do similar models for significantly lower costs.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
I know gw is expensive for individual models, but is good value for plastic sets, but I only have experience of UK prices and as gw are a UK company it wouldn't suprise me if they were more expensive world wide

FYI, Reaper also sells both painted and unpainted plastics - the Legendary Encounters line is painted to a higher standard than the official D&D minis and costs more, but they've just released a new Bones line of unpainted plastics that's fairly cheap.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

The bones line is very good but has so few models in at the moment, I really hope they expand it.
I'd look for the Pathfinder Battles minis, I personally think they are some of the best plastic minis out right now. The goblins are a personal favorite.
This thread has been moved by VCL request. 

If you have any questions, please contact:
Customer Service 
The options mentioned above are great. 

I've been quite happy with my experiences dealing with Troll & Toad and Beholder the Bargains.  They're both great places to get single D&D miniatures.

If you just need some inexpensive counters to represent monsters and you aren't very picky about scale, whether they are painted, accuracy, and that sort of thing, there are also some great, inexpensive options in 1/72 plastic - a scale and material traditionally used for military war-gaming.  I've found myself mostly delighted by Caesar Miniatures' 1/72 fantasy miniatures line (review):  it doesn't take a lot of money to get dozens and dozens of Dwarves, Goblins, Orcs, Elves, and humans; they're a bit small compared to most fantasy miniatures, they're not painted, but they otherwise look the part and should work fine for NPCs.  This looks like one of the best bargains for fantasy miniatures you could possibly hope for.  Caesar and other 1/72 plastic miniature manufactures also produce historical wargaming miniatures that might come in handy, including a fantastic array of historical figures, castles, siege engines, ships, and that sort of thing.

Keep an eye on garage sales and that sort of thing, too.  If you're lucky, you can snag some fantasy boardgames full of miniatures on the cheap... the classic, out-of-print HeroQuest is probably one of the more famous fantasy boardgames full of decent miniatures, but it's certainly not the only one out there.  Wizards of the Coast also produced some great board games recently that have a great selection of unpainted D&D Miniatures in them... "Legend of Drizzt", "Wrath of Ashardalon", and "Castle Ravenloft", together, should give you plenty of great, popular monsters to work with.

Paizo publishing recently partnered with Wizkids to produce a great line of pre-painted random plastic miniatures that look right at home among D&D Miniatures.  I'm sure the singles market for those should be a great way to get common monsters and pc types at a lower price than out-of-print D&D minis would go for.

And, what I've seen of Reaper's unpainted plastics ("Bones") looks great, seems quite affordable, and definitely needs some gamer support to encourage Reaper to expand the line.
[spoiler New DM Tips]
  • Trying to solve out-of-game problems (like cheating, bad attitudes, or poor sportsmanship) with in-game solutions will almost always result in failure, and will probably make matters worse.
  • Gun Safety Rule #5: Never point the gun at anything you don't intend to destroy. (Never introduce a character, PC, NPC, Villain, or fate of the world into even the possibility of a deadly combat or other dangerous situation, unless you are prepared to destroy it instantly and completely forever.)
  • Know your group's character sheets, and check them over carefully. You don't want surprises, but, more importantly, they are a gold mine of ideas!
  • "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." It's a problem if the players aren't having fun and it interferes with a DM's ability to run the game effectively; if it's not a problem, 'fixing' at best does little to help, and at worst causes problems that didn't exist before.
  • "Hulk Smash" characters are a bad match for open-ended exploration in crowds of civilians; get them out of civilization where they can break things and kill monsters in peace.
  • Success is not necessarily the same thing as killing an opponent. Failure is not necessarily the same thing as dying.
  • Failure is always an option. And it's a fine option, too, as long as failure is interesting, entertaining, and fun!
[/spoiler] The New DM's Group Horror in RPGs "This is exactly what the Leprechauns want you to believe!" - Merb101 "Broken or not, unbalanced or not, if something seems to be preventing the game from being enjoyable, something has to give: either that thing, or other aspects of the game, or your idea of what's enjoyable." - Centauri
You can snag some really sweet deals off ebay.  Just bought a colossal red dragon (unopened) for 184$ish.  Some people might call it excessive, but I feel it's a fair price for a nice decoration for my room that happens to be out of "print".  He might find a way to crash into a future campaign too. >
Sign In to post comments