Mono Black Zombie for Standard

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi All!

I'm a returning player trying to get back in the groove of making decks. I've never really played in tournaments or leagues. So, this is my first attempt at  creating a deck in a specific format. I've only been a casual player before. A new store has started hosting events for a Magic League and standard format events. I was hoping I could get some feedback on the below deck and how I could improve it:

Zombie Apocalypse
60 cards
3 Haunted Fengraf
16 Swamp
19 lands

1 Black Cat
1 Highborn Ghoul
1 Geralf's Messenger
2 Ghoulraiser
2 Infectious Host
2 Unbreathing Horde
2 Gravedigger
1 Rotting Fensnake
1 Vengeful Pharaoh
Zombie Goliath
14 creatures

1 Bump in the Night
1 Ghoulcaller's Chant
1 Tragic Slip
1 Cellar Door
3 Consume Spirit
1 Demon's Horn
1 Graveyard Shovel
1 Chalice of Life
1 Gravepurge
3 Diabolic Tutor
3 Endless Ranks of the Dead
1 Grimoire of the Dead
3 Moan of the Unhallowed
2 Death's Caress
Zombie Apocalypse
3 Army of the Damned
27 other spells
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I only see 3 spells (maybe four) spells in that entire list that are playabe.  Here's a list that is a lot closer to where you want to be with Mono-Black Zombies:

I only see 3 spells (maybe four) spells in that entire list that are playable

Just trying to understand this... it looks like the majority of the spells here are 4 and less mana cost. So, is that what you go for with a Zombie deck? 
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

Just trying to understand this... it looks like the majority of the spells here are 4 and less mana cost. So, is that what you go for with a Zombie deck? 

Yes, zombies are an aggro build. Huge cards don't help you much, just run a ton of little guys, and you'll be much better off.  

Helluminatus is exactly right.  Playing Zombies means you want to keep dropping guys that the opponent has to deal with.  Eventually, they run out of removal, counterspells and blockers, allowing you to end the game quickly.

A lot of your orignal spells are very low powered.  Really, the list reads more like "here's all the black cards/black aligned artifacts I own", not "here's a list of cards I think work together well."  Things like tutors aren't really playable because they're slow and a properly constructed deck doesn't really need them.  Not only that, but you've got a lot of expensive spells, but very few lands, making it very hard to cast them.

Helluminatus is exactly right.  Playing Zombies means you want to keep dropping guys that the opponent has to deal with.  Eventually, they run out of removal, counterspells and blockers, allowing you to end the game quickly.

A lot of your orignal spells are very low powered.  Really, the list reads more like "here's all the black cards/black aligned artifacts I own", not "here's a list of cards I think work together well."  Things like tutors aren't really playable because they're slow and a properly constructed deck doesn't really need them.  Not only that, but you've got a lot of expensive spells, but very few lands, making it very hard to cast them.

Ok, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for all the help! :D

I think I was trying to do too much in one deck. I'll have to do some tweaking. 
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Sign In to post comments