Blighters - what is this set about, anyway?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
A little while ago I was working on introducing two new colors to Magic, orange and purple. I will probably get back to working on that set once I finish Blighters. Having extra colors had a few benefits. It allowed some effects to get into more colors while other effects could be focused into relatively fewer colors. It made it easier for new players to draft because there would be less people fighting for the same color. However one problem I came across was that it was hard to develop strategies for each color pair when there are 21 possible combinations of two colors! This is where I got the idea of having a set with fewer colors, so there would be fewer combinations.

The most mechanically similar color pairs, in order, are green-white, black-red, and white-blue. So it made sense to take away red and white, and let their neighbouring colors cover for most of their effects. If black can get Bump in the Night and Last Gasp then there's no reason why it can't get Volcanic Hammer. Blue has already got similar removal to white and cost-increasing effects, I let it make a few tokens also and then green just covers the Naturalize, life gain, and it was stretched a little to include smaller mass-creature pump. Does anyone really care about there being no first strike?

The white-red opposition is basically law vs chaos, so I thought what sort of world would not really have those elements. Thinking to 3rd edition Dungeons and Dragons, Druids have to be neutral on at least one axis to reflect the neutrality of nature, so I decided on a druidic world with trees and animals etc. Green druids would be neutral good, blue druids true neutral, and black druids neutral evil. The plot thickens when most of the black druids give in to their thirst for power and realise that they're better off by destroying and exploiting nature than protecting it. They become Blighters (a prestige class I didn't read much about). The other druids react as their alignment would suggest - green rallies together to try and save the forests, while blue goes into hiding in their safe coastal locations at the top and bottom of cliffs and just chills out while the whole thing blows over.

The mechanical expression of this flavor, and in order to give each color pair a strategy to use, meant that black both sacrificed its own lands for powerful effects (which has synergy with green's ways of getting more land) and destroyed enemy lands (which has synergy with blue's cost increasing effects). I know that these days land destruction is considered unfun, and people who started playing either a long time ago when ponza was a force to be reckoned with, or more recently after land destruction has been seriously nerfed, probably don't really care to see it as a set theme, but there are still a bunch of players who like it and I think it can create an interesting limited format. I basically learned Magic with the red 9th edition theme deck containing 2x Stone Rain, 2x Demolish and 1x Wildfire. I have stuck with the modern day design rule that you don't get LD for three mana, but I have added riders or options to make the spells more playable (think like Tectonic Rift).

Some of the creatures you will see on this world are birds (both flying and non flying), fish, illusions, crabfolk, koalas, zombies, ferrets, dryads, treefolk, and humans, as well as various other real creatures and common fantasy types. It's like a jungle out there - but you are a planeswalker and sure to prevail. You won't run into any other planeswalkers there, except for your opponent of course. In a later post in this thread I will explain the keyword mechanics of this set.
crabfolk, koalas, zombies, ferrets, dryads

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

About five paragraphs, I'd say!
Cliff (cost) = At the beginning of each opponent's combat phase, creatures that player controls can't attack you unless that player pays (cost).

Disbelieve N = 1: Put a disbelief counter on this permanent. Then if it has N or more, its controller sacrifices it. Any player may activate this ability.

Secrecy = When this permanent enters the battlefield, look at the top card of your library. You make exile it face down. You may look at it as long as it remains exiled. At the beginning of your upkeep or when this permanent leaves the battlefield, you may put the exiled card on top of its owner's library.
A permanent is 'keeping a secret' if there is a card in exile that was exiled by its secrecy ability.

Xblasting (cost) = (cost), sacrifice this permanent: Destroy target X. Activate only as a sorcery. (eg, Creatureblasting, Landblasting)

Tree spirit = This permanent is a Forest land in addition to its other types and subtypes as long as it's on the battlefield. (It has T: Add g to your mana pool).