Need some imput from more experinced players on making a Fighter.

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
So ive never made a fighter before or had any tanking experiance.

My brother is starting a game and a I thought id try a fighter.

Some ground rules for his games are multiclass is not allowed.

Now the basic idea I want is to build sort of a Gladiator, Pit Fighter type of character with a focus on Str and Wis. Im rather overwhelmed with all the fighter options for weapon styles and such and how I want to optimise my OA and challenges. I want to be a effective tank but also have a bit more cunning.

Suggestions? 
if you by chance you have the darksun campaign guide there is the exact build you are describing, and pit fighter is actually a paragon path in PH1

> So ive never... had any tanking experiance.

It's important to realize that 4E defenders are NOT tanks in the sense that most computer games use the term. A defender is capable of intervening on behalf of allies, but this is mostly in the form of retaliatory abilities when a creature goes after someone else; the defender generally can't FORCE anyone to attack him. Likewise, a defender won't last very long if everything does; his job is to be just enough of a nuisance to ensure that enemies can't effectively gang up on any one character - including himself.
The idea of defenders is catch-22. The basic concept is:
1. Make it so that the enemies can't or doesn't want to attack ny allies. (This includes combat challenge attacks, prunes, slows, marks, attack debuffs, forced movement, damage,etc)
2. Make it so that the enemies don't want to attack you. (High defenses, high hp, temporary hp, resistances, self heals, etc)
3. Repeat step 1, until they want to attack you.
4. Repeat step 2, until they don't want to attack you.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4.
6. ????????????????
7. Profit

If all available moves team monster can make is bad, you did your job right.
(This includes combat challenge attacks, prunes, slows, marks, attack debuffs, forced movement, damage,etc)

I want to make a defender who punishes his enemies by pelting them with prunes, now ;)
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
lol, if he's letting you choose background and themes then definitely go with the gladiator theme  for your fighter. If you are using character builder there is a specific gladiator/arena fighter build. Its not super optimized since a lot of its coolness is being able to pickup almost anyone weapon or even things that aren't weapons and being proficent with them (think jackie chan in almost any jackie chan movie). Still definitely go with the gladiator theme since its got a lot of cool utility powers you can take.  What lvl are you starting at?
lol, if he's letting you choose background and themes then definitely go with the gladiator theme  for your fighter. If you are using character builder there is a specific gladiator/arena fighter build. Its not super optimized since a lot of its coolness is being able to pickup almost anyone weapon or even things that aren't weapons and being proficent with them (think jackie chan in almost any jackie chan movie). Still definitely go with the gladiator theme since its got a lot of cool utility powers you can take.  What lvl are you starting at?

Starting at 1, fresh game with a new group.

Going through his DnD books I foudn teh Darksun one, Gladiator Theme is looking good. Though im not sure about the arena combat proficiency, im also considering the Brawler style.

I want to be able to put out my marks, have good survivability and make it very annoying to take my combat oppertunity attacks.

Arena Training looks good and can give you basicaly any weapon proficiencys you want for free, but brawler style looks like its great too and has added lockdown. Maybe a mix of the two? Arena Training but Take some of the Brawler grabs?

Also I was thinking about using like a Gladius and a Flail, I heard theres some nasty lockdown tricks with flails but I dont know where to look those up.

Right now im hoping to start my character with 18 Str/Wis, im not looking for a full character op since this is more of a thematic character and I want to make him more perceptive, also take advantage of the Pit Fighter paragon path better.  

Please continue with advice, its helping shed alot of light on my choice and whats expected from my role.

Thank you

I feel like its either or since when you pick a fight style you get vary particular bonuses toward the gear and attacks used for that build. For example brawler style tive you a +1 to ac since your free hand won't have a shield in it and a +2 to fort to make it harder for opponets to break free.  You also get a +2 to hit with unarmed attacks (including those made with a spiked fist) +2 to all grab attacks, and +2 to hitting someone you've aready grabbed with an attack that moves them.

Likewise grappeling stike (lvl1 at will) lets you sub it in for an opportunity attack instead of an MBA IF you have the brawler style.  The idea of the arena fighter is cool, but how often in a campaign will you lose your weapons? In Dark Sun it makes sense given how crit fails can work there (i.e. you can shatter your perfectly good weapon) as a way to make you not care about a weapon getting destroyed, but for a standard campaign I see it being niche.
Dark Sun's Arena Training build can also be pretty useful for getting two free superior weapon training. 
One great option is to take Staff as one of your Weapon Trainings, and then Staff Expertise feat applies to your other Arena Weapon(s), such as a triple headed Flail, Fullblade, Gouge, Bastard Sword, whatever you want.  You can also take Flail Expertise and WSG to get a great at-will proning build with reach.  (I almost wrote pruning, but that's a different kind of build)

Yet another option is to eventually take Pit Fighter as your PP and add your WIS mod to your melee fighter attacks and focus on multiple attacks (stealing from the Tempest build)
Dark Sun's Arena Training build can also be pretty useful for getting two free superior weapon training. 
One great option is to take Staff as one of your Weapon Trainings, and then Staff Expertise feat applies to your other Arena Weapon(s), such as a triple headed Flail, Fullblade, Gouge, Bastard Sword, whatever you want.  You can also take Flail Expertise and WSG to get a great at-will proning build with reach.  (I almost wrote pruning, but that's a different kind of build)

Yet another option is to eventually take Pit Fighter as your PP and add your WIS mod to your melee fighter attacks and focus on multiple attacks (stealing from the Tempest build)

I was looking at it from this approach, free weapon skills and everything else is enhanced improvised is not bad at all. Considering theres no restrictions on the weapons and like you said the bonuses all add together.

I actualy do plan to take Pit Fighter already, but the Wisdom part dosnt pay off till 16 for some great added damage. Im still looking at the options since brawler style and arena style have some great support. Though with brawler its looks better to go double fists/spiked gaunlets to take advantage of the bonuses. Could be very intresting if you took say a Warforged since with feats/powers you could reliably hold and knock prone enemies.
I think you'd be outing yourself some damage if you went only spiked gauntlets, but one hand with spiked gauntlets and either a longsword or bastard sword in the other seems like a pretty even balance because you get the to hit bonus if you have any sort of forced movement with the attack anyway.