04/18/2012 LI: "Requires Set Up"

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Limited Information, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
This is the coolest flavor text ever!
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
I like the card but... why does it cost 5?

It could easily have costed 4 and maybe even less, given how risky it is.

I really like the "loner" idea Wizards, but you don't seem interested in making it work. Only Demonix Taskmaster has been playable so far and the 2 enchantments (both costing 5CMC) have been really disappointing and generally not worth the effort.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
An underwhelming card to say the least
Oh.... we allow swearing on MTG cards now?
This is the coolest flavor text ever!

So agreed upon  
It's just awful.

Five mana buys creatures that are nigh-awesome all on their own nowadays.  It's just stupid to blow that mana on an enchantment that does nothing by itself, and requires an extremely vulnerable gamestate to do anything at all.
This card though ... 5 mana and as always the 2-for-1 of auras.

WTF?

Anyway, card is a gamebreaker in limited. Turning on any creature to be a win condition or even just massive piece of stall? Dang. It has weaknesses, but the promise of power is unlike anything I've seen at uncommon before. It doesn't even feel uncommon.

In card names alone:
Army of the Damned
Ghosts of the Damned
Screams of the Damned
Songs of the Damned
Temp of the Damned
Wet Willie of the Damned
Yoke of the Damned
Damnation
Choice of Damnations

In regards to the card. Wow, this is terrible. And you can tell Sadin things so too "Well... it's bad if A or B or C or D or E happens... but in those rare instances when you play this card and happen to find yourself in a narrow situation, it'll be great!"

I mean, if it didn't have the restriction it would still be a narrow and questionable card. With the restriction, it's just awful.

Heck, if you pair Homicidal Seclusion with Howlgeist, it won't take long before you've put your opponents completely out of their misery. At first, you'll be attacking with a 7/3 lifelinking creature that can only be blocked by the set's biggest creatures (as of writing this article, the only cards in the Avacyn Restored Card Image Gallery that will be able to block a Homicidal Seclusioned Howlgeist are Avacyn, Angel of Hope and Griselbrand). And if your opponent does find a way to kill it the first time, then you'll have an 8/4 lifelinker that's still almost impossible to block.

How does this work? I assumed that when the undying creature went to the graveyard the enchantment and effects were lost when it reenters the battlefield. Am I missing something?
Heck, if you pair Homicidal Seclusion with Howlgeist, it won't take long before you've put your opponents completely out of their misery. At first, you'll be attacking with a 7/3 lifelinking creature that can only be blocked by the set's biggest creatures (as of writing this article, the only cards in the Avacyn Restored Card Image Gallery that will be able to block a Homicidal Seclusioned Howlgeist are Avacyn, Angel of Hope and Griselbrand). And if your opponent does find a way to kill it the first time, then you'll have an 8/4 lifelinker that's still almost impossible to block.

How does this work? I assumed that when the undying creature went to the graveyard the enchantment and effects were lost when it reenters the battlefield. Am I missing something?

Yes, this is a non-aura enchantment. It stays on the battlefield humming until its condition is met and then powers a creature up.

Yes, this is a non-aura enchantment. It stays on the battlefield humming until its condition is met and then powers a creature up.

Ok, I get it. Didn't look/read closely enough. Thanks
This is one of the worst cards I've seen in a long time. Compare Armadillo Cloak: It costs 3, gives +2/+2, trample and lifelink and doesn't have any downsides besides being an aura.
This card though ... 5 mana and as always the 2-for-1 of auras.

WTF?

Anyway, card is a gamebreaker in limited. Turning on any creature to be a win condition or even just massive piece of stall? Dang. It has weaknesses, but the promise of power is unlike anything I've seen at uncommon before. It doesn't even feel uncommon.

Limited is where this card is weakest actually. How are you going to stall if you only have 1 creature and your opponent has several? And why would you want to? If you stall with the only threat you ave, how do you win?

I don't know who's idea it was to have this card previewd in limited information. But I would have hated to write for it.  Sadin did a good job considering.

A 5 mana enchantment that only does anything when you're in a risky board position, and works best with uncommon creatures?

Yeah, that's totally what I want in limited. 

In card names alone:
Army of the Damned
Ghosts of the Damned
Screams of the Damned
Songs of the Damned
Temp of the Damned
Wet Willie of the Damned
Yoke of the Damned
Damnation
Choice of Damnations

In regards to the card. Wow, this is terrible. And you can tell Sadin things so too "Well... it's bad if A or B or C or D or E happens... but in those rare instances when you play this card and happen to find yourself in a narrow situation, it'll be great!"

I mean, if it didn't have the restriction it would still be a narrow and questionable card. With the restriction, it's just awful.

maybe i got you wrong, but are you saying if the card read:
creatures you control get +3/+1 and lifelink
it would still be a narrow and questionable card?? 
The problem is that card could easily be two or three mana and be properly mana to powerlevel.  The card is so situational that it is its own weakness.  Its a nice power up to Hexproof strategies, but it forces you to be more vulnerable to effects that make you sacrifice a creature. 

The card is too expensive to consider playing. I'm not sure its even playable in Limited.  It is certainly not a bomb in limited. 

He meant if the enchantment acted like an equipment, affected only one creature but had no limitation of other creatures being in play.  In that case, it would compare well to Loxodon Warhammer, so I disagree it would be a narrow and questionable card.  As it is, though, it is hard to imagine it being very good.

That said, you know there will be games where this thing just steals victories.   You're almost dead, only one creature left and way behind in life.  You then drop this enchantment and attack, which gains you enough life to keep you out of the kill zone.  But then, having this until-then useless card in your hand the whole game might be part of the reason you were in such bad shape to begin with.

In card names alone:
Army of the Damned
Ghosts of the Damned
Screams of the Damned
Songs of the Damned
Temp of the Damned
Wet Willie of the Damned
Yoke of the Damned
Damnation
Choice of Damnations

Actually, I got the card wrong. Should've had my coffee before reading and posting about the card. I thought this was an aura.

Not too bad with Invisible Stalker and Demonmail Hauberk.
Nice try in what had to be a most difficult assignment: Finding a way to sell this card as a preview feature.

Constructed:

Maybe some genius will break this and prove the majority wrong. Like a Battle of Wits breaker. Maybe block con with the aforementioned divine reckoning.

Limited:

This card is a clogger. 5 for an enchantment with such a narrow application. Bitterheart Witch at least puts a 1/2 deathtouch in play.
I don't know, but I don't think there's a lot of limited players that want to only have 1 creature in play. Unless you're a control savant.
This is a late pick, I forgot to draft creatures, kind of card.

I can just hear the lamentations when people bust this in paper and say "what a waste of an uncommon."

I don't know, but I don't think there's a lot of limited players that want to only have 1 creature in play. Unless you're a control savant.

That might be true in a typical Limited format, but we haven't seen the whole set, and we know that loners are enough of a theme to warrant inclusion on the mechanics page.  The fact that Sadin was given this as a preview card in the first place indicates that it will probably be feasible (although not trivial) to draft a loner deck.

That might be true in a typical Limited format, but we haven't seen the whole set, and we know that loners are enough of a theme to warrant inclusion on the mechanics page.  The fact that Sadin was given this as a preview card in the first place indicates that it will probably be feasible (although not trivial) to draft a loner deck.

The development side of me is hoping that , because of soulbond, this set has extra removal. Especially if this removal is heavily in black, where the loners are. That means you can draft up a removal/control deck with loners and it will be able to hold off those soulbonders and take advantage of the weakness.

I feel that if this isn't the case, then soulbond is going to be extremely overpowered in the set.

The development side of me is hoping that , because of soulbond, this set has extra removal. Especially if this removal is heavily in black, where the loners are. That means you can draft up a removal/control deck with loners and it will be able to hold off those soulbonders and take advantage of the weakness.

I feel that if this isn't the case, then soulbond is going to be extremely overpowered in the set.

If there is more removal than normal, then Loners are going to be even weaker than in other Limited environments. If it's easier to kill a creature, than relying on just one creature is going to be harder, no?
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)

If there is more removal than normal, then Loners are going to be even weaker than in other Limited environments. If it's easier to kill a creature, than relying on just one creature is going to be harder, no?

Sorry, I meant that the removal would be in the loner player's deck and not in the other decks (so heavily/exclusively in black and unsplashable). It would take a very perfect balance that might not even be theoretically possible, which is why I think this limited environment is going to be ruined by soulbond.