[AVR-ICD] Crypt Creeper

49 posts / 0 new
Last post
Crypt Creeper erdana,sans-serif">
Creature – Zombie (C)

Sacrifice Crypt Creeper: Exile target card from a graveyard.

2/1
Crypt Creeper erdana,sans-serif">
Creature – Zombie (C)

Sacrifice Crypt Creeper: Exile target card from a graveyard.

2/1

Zombies may have found its two drop.
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Yay, he's back. In the block that fits him perfectly.
This is half decent actually. I will probably play this in the sideboard.
Not a bad zombie 2-drop and selective hoser/morbid-trigger. Based on the other cards spoiled so far though, it makes you wonder if there is even a reason to print/play zombies when AVR releases.
An unexpected but awesome reprint!
I like him. Can you use this to stop an undying trigger?
this is indeed a good reprint.
Not a bad zombie 2-drop and selective hoser/morbid-trigger. Based on the other cards spoiled so far though, it makes you wonder if there is even a reason to print/play zombies when AVR releases.

No, there is no reason to play zombies anymore. I've just sold my online sets of Phyrexian Obliterator, Gravecrawler, Geralf's Messenger and Liliana of the Veil for close to 200 tickets. It was very satisfying. I may have made a mistake selling these cards. Tomorrow they'll spoil the best zombie ever printed, but I highly doubt that.
Why?  Virtually every anti-zombie card has sucked.

This is not bad at all.  However, I still prefer the kitty.
Why?  Virtually every anti-zombie card has sucked.

This is not bad at all.  However, I still prefer the kitty.

Anti zombie doesn't matter. A whole set of One With Nothing does.
I love reprints, especially in blocks with no flavour connection to the reprinted card's original block. They're efficient re-use of design, and often evocative and memorable.

This is a pretty good one.
Doubt this will see play outside of limited.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

... What?
I like him. Can you use this to stop an undying trigger?

Yes.  Respond to the undying trigger by activating Crypt Creeper's ability.

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

... What?

The black cards in this set are on par with One With Nothing.

But... Griselbrand, Barter in Blood, & Killing Wave...

Well, obviously if a little over a third of a spoiled set hasn't shown you the best cards ever in a color, that means the other good cards in that color that came before are now worthless.

Better go sell those Snapcaster Mages quick! Wink
Good reprint is good.

I think delver decks will operate similar to modern storm decks after AVR is released.

Barter in Blood and Killing Wave are to slow in this environment. Griselbrand is junk.  There have been comparisons between Griselbrand and necro, but they're nothing alike. Draw 7 and lose 7 isn't the same as draw one/lose one.
Monster Cave  seems good for zombies.
Monster Cave  seems good for zombies.

Blue/Black zombies for sure. It'll benefit b/r too, but not as much as b/u.
Monster cave is good for every creature-based deck though. It doesn't really give Black anything special, which I think is his point here.
Monster cave is good for every creature-based deck though. It doesn't really give Black anything special, which I think is his point here.

I think it does, it gives you four more blue based mana sources for your zombie Diregraf Captain and makes him uncounterable. Of course, it does hose your removal, but who cares.

Let's focus on crypt creeper, it's a low cost zombie that fills a role. It should be great in a mirror match and good against snapcaster/lingering souls.

Also, take note people, this does not counter a card being cast from a graveyard. It does, however, take away the target of a card tareting a card in a graveyard.
Withered Wretch would have been so much better. Carrion Feeder, Gempalm PolluterBad Ass, Entrails FeasterRotlung ReanimatorShepherd of RotUndead Gladiator, Vengeful Dead, Zombie Cannibal take your pick.

I don't think they even considered printing withered wretch. He hoses half the block.
Withered Wretch would have been so much better. Carrion Feeder, Gempalm PolluterBad Ass, Entrails FeasterRotlung ReanimatorShepherd of RotUndead Gladiator, Vengeful Dead, Zombie Cannibal take your pick.

I don't think they even considered printing withered wretch. He hoses half the block.

Didn't stop them from printing Grafdigger's Cage

Their reasoning behind printing Grafdigger's Cage was flwed too. If I remember right, wizards said they made the card because of the future potential of g/b undying pod. Flawed logic, rather than deal with a real problem(delver decks), they focused on a potential problem.
They didn't know that Delver would be a problem. You have to remember how far in advance these sets are put together. Their testing picked up Pod as the big thing, and they were clearly wrong. I think their testing process is severely flawed, but the logic was not. Delver was only a potential problem at that point as well.
They didn't know that Delver would be a problem. You have to remember how far in advance these sets are put together. Their testing picked up Pod as the big thing, and they were clearly wrong. I think their testing process is severely flawed, but the logic was not. Delver was only a potential problem at that point as well.

You definitely have a good point, but potential 3-power, evasive one drops (in blue!) in Standard seem to be something that maybe you would just assume would become dominant. Even if they were proven wrong, it wouldn't be the worst mistake they've ever made. I don't know anything about eternal formats, but Delver gets played in Modern and even Legacy if I'm not mistaken.
You're correct, Delver is played nearly everywhere.

Their reasoning behind printing Grafdigger's Cage was flwed too. If I remember right, wizards said they made the card because of the future potential of g/b undying pod. Flawed logic, rather than deal with a real problem(delver decks), they focused on a potential problem.

The logic was sound, there are several potential decks that could have been created with graveyard manipulation and huge CA engines. Those decks never existed likely because of the cage.
Also, once you remove the cage, you're free to continue using the ressources it denied. Removing W.W. does nothing since he already exiled them.

Delver is one card, and we already have answers to it. We have creature removal and mental misstep. What type of card did you have in mind to stop it? 

You can't really fault them here. Predicting how a metagame will shape up with hundreds of cards interracting is not easy. I haven't seen a single person predict that delver would be problematic when it was spoiled, or even several weeks after. And pod did end up being a successful deck. 

I only remember them majorly screwing up twice.

1. When they hosed wizards (a deck that was fragile to begin with) and completely ignored U/G madness/tog 

2. Affinity.

bloodbraid elf was borderline.
People need to remember that the Future Future League isn't the same as Standard, there will be differences in what ultimately ends up being good in these formats.

In the FFL, Birthing Pod decks were quite strong. Hence, Cage.

In standard, not so much.

It happens.

"Hey there kiddies! I'm baaaack! Ehheheheheheheheheheheheh!!!!"
Affinity wasn't that bad. Hosting block tournaments was a bad idea. Affinity in block was unstoppable. Affinity in standard was just another aggro fast aggro deck.
Affinity wasn't that bad. Hosting block tournaments was a bad idea. Affinity in block was unstoppable. Affinity in standard was just another aggro fast aggro deck.

Um, Affinity got 8 cards banned out of standard. Before that, standard consisted of affinity decks and anti affinity decks. That still would lose to it more often than win.

If you were right, the bannings would only have happened in block constructed. The diffrent decks that were created afterwards, like tooth and nail, were only possible when affinity left. You didn't need to be in block to kill on turn 4 with the deck. 

Um, Affinity got 8 cards banned out of standard. Before that, standard consisted of affinity decks and anti affinity decks. That still would lose to it more often than win.

If you were right, the bannings would only have happened in block constructed. The diffrent decks that were created afterwards, like tooth and nail, were only possible when affinity left. You didn't need to be in block to kill on turn 4 with the deck. 

That's the real problem, people build decks focused solely on beating another deck instead of building a deck that wins. Decks that run pure hate lose focus on what matters most, winning. It's a two year old mentality, I build a tower of blocks and you knock it over.
1:

When this was first printed, it was a pretty useful hoser against a lot of strategies. This was before the days of dredge, and whatnot, so most graveyard based strategies focused on a few cards in the yard. Standard, right now, actually has a lot of similarities, so this could be a pretty good hoser, especially in a Zombie deck that can cast it over and over with Havengul Lich.

2:

In limited, this actually seems decent. You can use it at instant speed to get rid of something with Undying that is in the yard. It's also at least a bear. Reminds me of Torch Fiend in that way. 
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000) Check out Ars Arcanum, my stat based series on Magic Limited, over at PureMTGO. Here is a link to the archive: http://goo.gl/Zvh6Q

That's the real problem, people build decks focused solely on beating another deck instead of building a deck that wins. Decks that run pure hate lose focus on what matters most, winning. It's a two year old mentality, I build a tower of blocks and you knock it over.

You could not build a deck that wins in an environment with affinity. The deck that wins was affinity.

Try it, try to make a deck with the cards legal at that time that would have a chance at winning against affinity. It made up 75% of the field. If you couldn't beat it, you were wasting your time. 
I did make a deck that beat affinity. I took it all over Washington. Also, the deck wasn't made to beat affinity, it was made to win.