4/17/2012 ReConstructed: "Demon Level: Rising!"

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's ReConstructed, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Cool article, as per usual. However...

Doesn't that preview card actually play AGAINST the loner theme in Avacyn Restored? If there really are a lot of creatures that want to be the only one you control, than an enchantment that keeps giving you a second creature seems counterproductive. The more I see of this "loner" thing, the more I hate it.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
I actually really like these loner cards, Demonic Taskmaster has to be my favourite card spoiled so far.

As for Demonic Rising, I don't really like it. Too many hoops to go through to make this truly useful, and costing 5 is kind of too slow. The best interaction I see with this is manlands, but the best manland available now is a nonbo, Inkmoth Nexus. Which puts this card in a weird spot.

Doesn't that preview card actually play AGAINST the loner theme in Avacyn Restored? If there really are a lot of creatures that want to be the only one you control, than an enchantment that keeps giving you a second creature seems counterproductive. The more I see of this "loner" thing, the more I hate it.

Yeah it does. The deck I submitted last week was a UB control that only played 4 Demonic Taskmasters, and it didn't even get mentioned because it is very anti-synergistic with this card.

I really can't find a good place for Demonic Rising, this card compares with Skirsdag High Priest in a way, and I'm not sure it's better. Having 2 creatures and morbid isn't THAT easy to achieve, but on the other hand this costs much more and will only give you 1 demon, while with the priest you could get 1 every turn.

Ehhh, we'll have to see.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
I could see Demonic Rising being useful with some kind of sacrifice outlet.  You can get rid of all but one creature, cast Demonic Rising, and get a demon.  Next turn, sacrifice the other creature and get another demon.  For 5 mana, you get 10 points of flying power, and you can keep sacrificing one of your demons after attacking with them (giving you an untapped Demon to block with, as well as whatever effect you got from sacrificing it).  Unfortunately, it's a bit slow.
That's too bad that his preview card is kind of weak. For 5 mana AND playing the game in such a way that I must have exactly one creature in play I expect a bigger effect. A 5/5 flyer which shuts my own enchantment off is lame. The effect should summon a creature directly from your library or something. The enchantment is basically asking you to throw the game by holding your other creatures back late in the game, and your opponent can disrupt your trigger with removal! (And then swing against a clear board.) No thanks. For five mana I can get a real creature.

-4 enchantments
+4 Grave Titan

or

-4 enchantments
+4 Obliterators

Sure, the Obliterators basically cost 5 with the Inkmoths in the deck, but who cares? This enchantment costs 5 and puts a worse creature into play.
i think we should give Bloodgift Demon  more appreciation, i played with that card, and it realy brakes stalled games nicely, having 2 of them in a mono black deck is quite good. 
i think this deck should go more to a sacrifice theme, with Reassembling Skeleton and  Demonic Rising, you will get a lot of creatures to sac for some funny control effect, sure you should not make it an aggressive token/sac strategy, that just sucks in mono black.
for example Smallpox is a funny card when you dont have creatures or Reassembling Skeleton

i cant see the hate against 2 ofs and the love for 1 ofs btw.
if i want to draw a card but only late game it mostly is better to have 2 then just 1 in your deck
1 ofs nearly never get drawn unless you dont need your one of (at least thats my experience)
i think 1ofs fit in silver bullit strategy, but a deck without tutoring not so much
but this is prob just personal taste. 
Demonic Rising breaks the symmetry on Divine Reckoning, might be nice to work with.
That's too bad that his preview card is kind of weak. For 5 mana AND playing the game in such a way that I must have exactly one creature in play I expect a bigger effect. A 5/5 flyer which shuts my own enchantment off is lame. The effect should summon a creature directly from your library or something. The enchantment is basically asking you to throw the game by holding your other creatures back late in the game, and your opponent can disrupt your trigger with removal! (And then swing against a clear board.) No thanks. For five mana I can get a real creature.

-4 enchantments
+4 Grave Titan

or

-4 enchantments
+4 Obliterators

Sure, the Obliterators basically cost 5 with the Inkmoths in the deck, but who cares? This enchantment costs 5 and puts a worse creature into play.

The creature made by Demonic Rising is more resilient than Phyrexian Obliterator. If it dies, you just wait for another turn during which you have only one other creature, and the demon is back. An opponent has to kill both the creature and the enchantment to keep the demon dead. And it is usually easier to kill a creature than an enchantment, so Grave Titan is similarly easier to deal with than Demonic Rising.

Also, Demonic Rising could, conceivably, put ten points of power on the board, if the other creature you control dies while you keep the token.

I still would rather have Grave Titan, or Bloodgift Demon, or any number of other black fatties, than this enchantment, but it does have its perks.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
I really like this card. Obviously it's just embarrassing in a format full of 6/6 Titans, but they'll be gone soon at which point this will be very tempting as a source of repeatable card advantage.
This card strikes me as definitely wanting a sacrifice engine. None of the sac engines in Standard care about the creature's power/toughness, though (except for Disciple of Griselbrand which is somewhat unexciting), so something like Thraben Doomsayer would be much better. Looks best with Greater Good, Xathrid Demon, or Brion Stoutarm or Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter in a Kaalia of the Vast deck,
hm...alextfish brings up an interesting point regarding sac engines in standard.  But more importantly it gave me an idea.  While there are no sac ENGINES that care about p/t, there are a few individual sac cards that care about p/t.  the first one that comes to mind:
Fling

Normally Fling is card disadvantage b/c it's 2-for-1ing yourself and is only useful as a finisher.  However, I think this card helps enable fling.dec b/c it keeps giving you more large creatures to pitch at your opponent's face.  I realize it costs 5 mana but we can get there.  Here's my crack at it:

Creatures

Non-Creatures
[deck]
2x Go for the Throat
4x Fling
3x Artillerize
3x Demonic Rising
[/deck]

Lands
[deck]
4x Blackcleave Cliffs
4x Dragonskull Summit
4x Mountain
12x Swamp
[/deck]

Let me know what you think.  (of course I should probably be posting this over in 'casual decks', but whatevs).

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

When you have removal that has restrictions, it can be a sneaky benefit to have a variety of it.  Removal is much harder to dodge when you aren't sure which removal to dodge.  Do you dodge the Tragic Slip by not playing an extra creature, or the Geth's Verdict by doing so?  You also have the hidden benefit that many people assume you're playing 4-ofs and will walk into your removal in games 1 and 2.
Did I read it wrong or did the author state that tomorrow all the cards will be spoiled? I would expect them to be spoiled next week.
The creature made by Demonic Rising is more resilient than Phyrexian Obliterator. If it dies, you just wait for another turn during which you have only one other creature, and the demon is back. An opponent has to kill both the creature and the enchantment to keep the demon dead. And it is usually easier to kill a creature than an enchantment, so Grave Titan is similarly easier to deal with than Demonic Rising.

Also, Demonic Rising could, conceivably, put ten points of power on the board, if the other creature you control dies while you keep the token.

I still would rather have Grave Titan, or Bloodgift Demon, or any number of other black fatties, than this enchantment, but it does have its perks.

I see this:

Teenage Minimum-Wage Demon
3BB
Legendary Creature - Djinn
Flying
~ randomly doesn't show up for work when scheduled. ~ may also call out sick at the last minute. (For example, removal in response to the trigger.)
~ may show up on random turns for the rest of the game.
5/5

And it's just worse than Sengir Vampire. I gave my example card the Legendary supertype because this card is dumb in multiples. And by dumb, I mean dumb.
Bleh, am I the only one here who doesn't like the art?! The concept is great, but wasn't done very tastefully from a very good angle. It took me a good 30 seconds of looking over the image to get what was in the picture.
Bleh, am I the only one here who doesn't like the art?! The concept is great, but wasn't done very tastefully from a very good angle. It took me a good 30 seconds of looking over the image to get what was in the picture.

.... what's going on in the picture?