Opponent Emblems

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
So far all emblems have been for the player that provides a postive perment bonus. So it wouldn't be surprising that we could get a Planeswalker or more that can give an emblem to the opponent which puts a permanent curse on the opponent.

Something like this,
Target opponent gets an emblem with, "You lose 1 life for each mana that empties from your mana pool as steps and phases end. The opponent that controls "Named Planeswalker" can tap your lands for mana during their turn."
They would just have you receive an emblem reads ""Whenever an/target opponent (trigger), (effect)"  No need to screw around with who gets the emblem.
Stigma Lasher for all intents and purposes does just that, but R&D has said they're trying to keep emblems on walkers for the time being.

A negative emblem for opponents is well within the realm of possibility.
Stigma Lasher isn't quite the same, as it's effect stops working if it's killed. There is currently no way to destroy or remove an emblem.

Singe's emblem idea is a bit too complex and probably wouldn't be printed. But I could see them doing the two effects seperatly.

Or they might print something like "Target opponent gets an emblem with 'Your maximum hand size is reduced by 5'" or maybe "Target opponent gets an emblem with 'You cannot gain life'"
Stigma Lasher isn't quite the same, as it's effect stops working if it's killed. There is currently no way to destroy or remove an emblem.

And that's why emblems should never go on opponents. Or if they do (which they shouldn't), they should only indirectly hurt the victim, like Curse of Stalked Prey.

Singe's emblem idea is a bit too complex and probably wouldn't be printed. But I could see them doing the two effects seperatly.

Or they might print something like "Target opponent gets an emblem with 'Your maximum hand size is reduced by 5'" or maybe "Target opponent gets an emblem with 'You cannot gain life'"

This is not correct. Killing Stigma Lasher does not let the damaged opponent gain life.

An ability I've used in my planeswalker designs before is "Target opponent gains an emblem that says 'At the beginning of your upkeep, lose half your life rounded down.' "

This wouldn't work if it gave you the emblem, because that would make it really busted in multiplayer, which you possibly don't want. 
From the rulings in the oracle for Lasher:

Once the last ability resolves, it will be in effect for the rest of the game. It doesn't matter if Stigma Lasher remains on the battlefield or not.

Once the last ability resolves, it will be in effect for the rest of the game. It doesn't matter if Stigma Lasher remains on the battlefield or not.

I stand corrected.

I had always assumed it worked like Meddling Mage where it's ability stops working once it leave play. My mistake. 
Wouldn't it be cool if an effect gave you negative emblems?

Instant

You gain 10 life, and gain an emblem with "if a source would deal damage to you, it deals twice that damage instead."

I stand corrected.

I had always assumed it worked like Meddling Mage where it's ability stops working once it leave play. My mistake. 

That's because Meddling Mage has a static ability, while the Stigma Lasher has a triggered ability.  If the Lasher said something like this, it would work the way you thought: "Players damaged by Stigma Lasher cannot gain life." 

I stand corrected.

That's because Meddling Mage has a static ability, while the Stigma Lasher has a triggered ability.  If the Lasher said something like this, it would work the way you thought: "Players damaged by Stigma Lasher cannot gain life." 

More on it: triggered abilities generally have one-shot effects, but may generate continuous effect if some duration is given. Here, the duration is "for the rest of the game". The effect stays even if the Lasher is gone.

[<o>]
Sign In to post comments