A couple of questions

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
1. Is there a maximum hand size? If there is, when you discard cards to go back to normal hand size?

2. I attack with a creature, but I am blocked with a creature with Toughness 3. I cast Burning Oil , so the defender dies. Does my attacker deal damage to the player or not. If not is there any way to remove the defender with Burning Oil , for example maybe when my opponent declares the blocker, but before the actual block?

3. Another question with the Burning Oil . I am attacked with a creature with 2 Toughness. I block with a 3/3 creature, but my opponent cast Giant Growth . I cast Burning Oil . Does my creature dies or the atacker is destroyed before the Growth to occur?

4. I cast Fiend Hunter and decide to exile a creature with the artifact Blazing Torch , attached to it. My opponent declares that he uses the artifact ability and deals 2 damage to another creature of mine. Is that possible, I think the exile is at the moment of the entering of the Fiend Hunter on the battlefield and my opponent just has no time to do this.

5. When you exile a creature and he come back on the battlefield does the artifacts, enchancement, counters and other stuff are still on them. And is the artifact still equipped or my opponent must pay again for attachment?
1. Is there a maximum hand size? If there is, when you discard cards to go back to normal hand size?

Players normally have a maximum hand size of 7.  They must discard down to the maximum hand size in the cleanup step of their own turn.

2. I attack with a creature, but I am blocked with a creature with Toughness 3. I cast Burning Oil , so the defender dies. Does my attacker deal damage to the player or not. If not is there any way to remove the defender with Burning Oil , for example maybe when my opponent declares the blocker, but before the actual block?

There is no time between the declaration of the blocker and the actual block.  Also, once a creature is blocked, it remains blocked, no matter what happens to the blocking creatures.

3. Another question with the Burning Oil . I am attacked with a creature with 2 Toughness. I block with a 3/3 creature, but my opponent cast Giant Growth . I cast Burning Oil . Does my creature dies or the atacker is destroyed before the Growth to occur?

The Burning Oil will resolve first, destroying the attacking creature.  Then the Giant Growth will be countered on resolution, since its target no longer exists.

4. I cast Fiend Hunter and decide to exile a creature with the artifact Blazing Torch , attached to it. My opponent declares that he uses the artifact ability and deals 2 damage to another creature of mine. Is that possible, I think the exile is at the moment of the entering of the Fiend Hunter on the battlefield and my opponent just has no time to do this.

The Fiend Hunter's triggered ability uses the stack and can be responded to. 

5. When you exile a creature and he come back on the battlefield does the artifacts, enchancement, counters and other stuff are still on them. And is the artifact still equipped or my opponent must pay again for attachment?

Exiling a creature just means exiling that creature.  It doesn't mean also exiling the Equipment or Auras.  Any Auras will go to the graveyard for not being attached to anything, while any Equipment will stay on the battlefield, unattached.  Counters are removed from the creature as it changes zones.  When the creature then returns to the battlefield, it returns as an entirely new object.
1) Yes, the normal maximum hand size is 7. It can be altered by effects like Reliquary Tower, though. However, it matters only in the cleanup step of your own turn. If you have more than your allowed maximum of cards in hand at that time, you have to discard down to your maximum. At any other time, you can have as many cards in hand as you can manage.

2) Once a creature is blocked, it remains blocked unless it is removed from combat, an effect explicitly states that it becomes unblocked, or the combat step ends. Removal of all blockers will not make a blocked creature become unblocked. A blocked creature cannot deal combat damage to the defending player or the planeswalker it attacked, unless it has trample or a similar ability.

The first thing that happens in the declare blockers step is the declaration of blockers. No player gets priority to do anything until after all blockers have been declared.

3) A creature that's not in combat when the combat damage step starts will not deal or recieve any combat damage. In your scenarion, the outcome depends on when exactly you cast Burning Oil. If you cast it in response to Giant Growth, that spell has not yet resolved and the creature is still only an x/2, and the Oil takes it out. Giant Growth will be countered for having only illegal targets. However, if you waited to cast the Oil until after the Growth has resolved, the creature is a (x+3)/5 and the Oil's damage is not enough to kill it. Both creatures will deal combat damage in the combat damage step and likely kill each other.

4) Fiend Hunter has two normal triggered abilities, which can be responded to. Only when a trigger resolves does it have its effect. Merely having the trigger condition (enters the battlefield) occur has no immediate effect. Note, that you choose the target for the Hunter's ability at the time the ability is put on the stack, not when you cast Fiend Hunter. Creature spells are never targeted. So yes, your opponent's play is legal.

5) An object that changes zones becomes a new object with no memory of its former existence. Counters just vanish, auras and equipment are seperate objects and not part of the creature, they stay on the battlefield (equipment becomes unattached and auras are put into the graveyard almost immediately for not being attached to anything). Any haunting cards lose track of the creature and won't be able to trigger anymore, and so forth.

My second community draft, with the format being Zendikar/Worldwake/Rise of the Eldrazi, is now entering Worldwake. If you like to draft, maybe check it out. We'd like to hear your thoughts on the picks.

CD2: General

My community draft experiment with DTK/DTK/FRF is concluded now. If you want to, you can check it out and maybe build some decks from the pools. I've already build my own take on that.

http://community.wizards.com/forum/limited-sealed-and-draft/threads/4206961

Once again aced the Rules Advisor test (Feb 2015). (I still make mistakes now and then, but who doesn't.)

"Simple questions" usually need rather complex answers, while complex questions often come down to no more than a simple "yes" or "no".

Another question popped up. I am attacked by a 3/3 creature. I cast Burning Oil . I think that the creature is destroyed and deals no damage to me. But my opponent said that it's destroyed, but already attacked, so it deals damage to me. Who is right?
I already addressed this issue in point 3): A creature that is not in combat when the combat damage step starts, will neither deal nor recieve combat damage. A creature, that is dealt lethal damage before that time, is destroyed by state based actions, it leaves the battlefield and is therefore not in combat anymore.

My second community draft, with the format being Zendikar/Worldwake/Rise of the Eldrazi, is now entering Worldwake. If you like to draft, maybe check it out. We'd like to hear your thoughts on the picks.

CD2: General

My community draft experiment with DTK/DTK/FRF is concluded now. If you want to, you can check it out and maybe build some decks from the pools. I've already build my own take on that.

http://community.wizards.com/forum/limited-sealed-and-draft/threads/4206961

Once again aced the Rules Advisor test (Feb 2015). (I still make mistakes now and then, but who doesn't.)

"Simple questions" usually need rather complex answers, while complex questions often come down to no more than a simple "yes" or "no".

Hello GenoBG and welcome to the game!

You might be interested in reading the Basic Rulebook,

and then there's the Magic Rules FAQ. Many questions get answered!

Tax evasion is nothing but legitimate self-defense against the theft that is tax collection.

506.1. The combat phase has five steps, which proceed in order: beginning of combat, declare attackers, declare blockers, combat damage, and end of combat. The declare blockers and combat damage steps are skipped if no creatures are declared as attackers or put onto the battlefield attacking (see rule 508.4). There are two combat damage steps if any attacking or blocking creature has first strike (see rule 702.7) or double strike (see rule 702.4).

All Player recieve priority in all Steps, so they can all play stuff/activate Abilities during teh steps. At teh beginning of Declare Attackers/Declare Blockers, Attackers/Blockers are declared (Duh!).
These creatures are considered "attacking" resp. "blocking", and creature that are blocked now count as "blocked". All Creatures stay that way (attacking/blocking, blocked) until they leave the Battlefield, change Controlers or leave Combat, wether or not if the Creature they blocked/are blocked by is still there.
Only after the Declaration of Attackers/Blockers and after all Creatures are now considered Blocking/Attacking/being blocked does the active Player gain Priority, so noone can respond in time to remove a blocker. The latest point to do so is the declare attackers step, but then you do not know which creatures will block (or if you want to deal with an attacker by tapping it, you need to do so in Beginning of combat at the latest, but you do not know who is going to attack).

Damage is only dealt at the beginning of Combat Damage, and noone can respond to it. The last chance to play Giant Growth is in Declaration of Blockers. The last chance to play Go for the Throat to prevent damage from an attacker/blocker is also declare Blockers.
The last chance to play Jump is in Declare Attackers.
[c]Forest[/c] gives you Forest
Sign In to post comments