Zendikar, How I miss thee...

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sure I didn't care for the first two sets (srry, Eldrazi > rest of the block), but the spotlight was on one thing...and those were the basic lands imo. They were printed in a way that was functionally identical to what we are used to seeing and showcased more of the illustration that really helped me imagine walking through Zendikar with a sense of awe. I really like those basic land cards and have a hard time tracking some down (probably due to other ppl wanting them too). Now I'm left wondering why this tradition DID NOT carry on...

--mtalmuzicfan...
...is a sad mtalhead  
4/17/12 - Started Magic the Gathering: Online <--mtalhead...for LIFE!!! \m/
Back in the day Unglued lands sold for the purchase price of an Unglued booster, because people LOVED the full art lands.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Sure I didn't care for the first two sets (srry, Eldrazi > rest of the block), but the spotlight was on one thing...and those were the basic lands imo. They were printed in a way that was functionally identical to what we are used to seeing and showcased more of the illustration that really helped me imagine walking through Zendikar with a sense of awe. I really like those basic land cards and have a hard time tracking some down (probably due to other ppl wanting them too). Now I'm left wondering why this tradition DID NOT carry on...

--mtalmuzicfan...
...is a sad mtalhead  



Store binders are full of them. you really shouldn't have a hard time finding them.
Back in the day Unglued lands sold for the purchase price of an Unglued booster, because people LOVED the full art lands.


About time for another Un-set :D

4/17/12 - Started Magic the Gathering: Online <--mtalhead...for LIFE!!! \m/
They didn't carry the tradition on because they wanted to make it a special thing that only happened for the set where land was the focus. If it became permanent, it's the new "normal" and no longer "special".

Given that every single booster pack for ZEN and WWK had one of these lands, there should be an overflowing supply of them. Check ebay, should be able to get, say, 25 of each type for a reasonable price.
Back in the day Unglued lands sold for the purchase price of an Unglued booster, because people LOVED the full art lands.


About time for another Un-set :D




Past time, imo, but we aren't likely to see one any time soon.

So, should the last part of the Un-block be called "Unpossible"?

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

They didn't carry the tradition on because they wanted to make it a special thing that only happened for the set where land was the focus. If it became permanent, it's the new "normal" and no longer "special".

Given that every single booster pack for ZEN and WWK had one of these lands, there should be an overflowing supply of them. Check ebay, should be able to get, say, 25 of each type for a reasonable price.


Oh yeah, the whole "landfall" thing...now it makes sense :D

I'll give eBay a look, but I still think occasional full art lands should make a cameo every now and then. 
4/17/12 - Started Magic the Gathering: Online <--mtalhead...for LIFE!!! \m/
Zendikar and Worldwake fat packs also had 40-packs of the full-art lands.  It made them the only fat packs worth buying in the last few years. :-)

I agree that the full-art lands were awesome and would love for them to come back, but I doubt it's going to happen anytime soon. 

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

Now I'm left wondering why this tradition DID NOT carry on... 



It isn't a tradition... well actually it is a tradition for Un-sets, not for normal sets. For Zendikar it was a cool thing that defined Zendikar.

If you do something every block it ceases being cool. It just is the way things are done. If you want people to be exceited about full-art lands, you need to not do them for awhile and then bring them back. To paraphrase Maro "You can't be happy that we brought back a card unless that card has been missing."

* Honestly, i think full art basics look better than regular basics that just have so much empty space. And i think having full art basics as the status quo would be better than the current ones (that tend to cause confusion with newer players).
… and then, the squirrels came.
Horizontal canvases are called landscapes.  Vertical canvases are called portraits.  Lands depict landscapes.  Full-art lands use portrait canvases.  See the problem here?  Zendikar was weird enough they could pull it off, but it really stretches the artists to make them always print landscapes in portrait.

I vote lands with flavor text.
Horizontal canvases are called landscapes.  Vertical canvases are called portraits.  Lands depict landscapes.  Full-art lands use portrait canvases.  See the problem here? 


Yeah, we drive on parkways and park in driveways.

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
Zendikar and Worldwake fat packs also had 40-packs of the full-art lands.  


IIRC, this is incorrect.

~ Tim   

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Print the land art sideways so it is oriented correctly when tapped. PROBLEM SOLVED
 Like how they have the Plane cards.
Print the land art sideways so it is oriented correctly when tapped. PROBLEM SOLVED


This is how The Spoils handles their resource cards, except that they start out horizontal and go vertical when tapped (err, "depleted"), which caused me no end of grief when trying to play the damn game.

L1 Judge

Print the land art sideways so it is oriented correctly when tapped. PROBLEM SOLVED


This is how The Spoils handles their resource cards, except that they start out horizontal and go vertical when tapped (err, "depleted"), which caused me no end of grief when trying to play the damn game.


Resources don't deplete. They attach.

The more you know.... 
If Wizards put hundred dollar bills in each pack, players would complain that they weren't folded right.
Zendikar and Worldwake fat packs also had 40-packs of the full-art lands.  


IIRC, this is incorrect.

~ Tim   




See here and here.

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

Zendikar and Worldwake fat packs also had 40-packs of the full-art lands.  


IIRC, this is incorrect.

~ Tim   




See here and here.


My apologies!

Turns out I was thinking of Intro Packs instead. Sorry!

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Horizontal canvases are called landscapes.  Vertical canvases are called portraits.  Lands depict landscapes.  Full-art lands use portrait canvases.  See the problem here? 


Yeah, we drive on parkways and park in driveways.


Where I come from, we drive by parks on the parkway and drive into our garage via the driveway.