First shot at a Legacy deck...

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is my first build at a Legacy deck.  I run U/B Zombies in Standard and do pretty well with it.  I put this deck together on a whim recently and I've been thinking about taking the Red out of it altogether.  Any critique would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you.

3 snapcaster mage
1 inferno titan
2 grave titan
2 consecrated sphinx
1 chandra, the firebrand
1  nicol bolas, planeswalker

4 counterspell
4 mana leak
4 ponder
3 disintegrate
2 fireball
4 lotus petal
4 dark ritual
1 cruel ultimatum
3 go for the throat

4 sulfur falls
3 evolving wilds
6 island
6 swamp
2 mountain

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Why are Lotus Petal and Dark Ritual in the deck?
Level 2 Magic Judge Lite a man a fire, warm him for a day. Light a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.

probably to have a slim chance of playing all the high cmc spells

now about the list, consider that at 4 mana your oponent can cast either JtMS or elspeth and you'll understand that you will not want anything that costs more than 3 besides those two cards

on the mana base for legacy use: dual lands ( goo.gl/6Do67 ) in addition to fetch lands ( goo.gl/d2dAx )

you only use ponder when you already run 4 brainstrom

mana leak and counterspell are too slow some good counters in legacy are: force of will; daze; spell pierce; spell snare.

if you want to deal damage lightning bolt is obviously the best card

good creatures for this colours are: delver of secrets; vendilion clique; tombstalker; dark confidant and the sanpcasters you already use

welcome to legacy ^^

probably to have a slim chance of playing all the high cmc spells

now about the list, consider that at 4 mana your oponent can cast either JtMS or elspeth and you'll understand that you will not want anything that costs more than 3 besides those two cards

on the mana base for legacy use: dual lands ( goo.gl/6Do67 ) in addition to fetch lands ( goo.gl/d2dAx )

you only use ponder when you already run 4 brainstrom

mana leak and counterspell are too slow some good counters in legacy are: force of will; daze; spell pierce; spell snare.

if you want to deal damage lightning bolt is obviously the best card

good creatures for this colours are: delver of secrets; vendilion clique; tombstalker; dark confidant and the sanpcasters you already use

welcome to legacy ^^

Damn.. Well I do have 2 Force of Will.  I did pull draws my last two times I played it today which allowed me to have Grave Titan out on turn 2 in one game, then by turn 3 in another game I had Chandra and then the Consecrated out.  Lucky draws I guess?  

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Very lucky I'd say. Turn 2 Grave Titan with your list means you had either swamp or petal into double dark rit with no hand disruption or counter to back your spell. Turn 3 Chandra and Sphinx means all 3 color lands followed with petal and two dark rits, 8 cards. Again with no hand disruption or counter to back it.

What are you doing with fireball?

The manabase is rough and unstable. You need some duals and fetches there. Your counters are subpar, as mentioned Force and Daze are much better choices.
Yeah, the most important lesson here is that high-cmc spells are almost never good enough in Legacy. For one mana I can win the game. For two mana I can win the game. For three mana I can win the game. For zero mana I can stop you from winning the game.

You'll have to start by looking around and seeing what spells usually win games in Legacy. As for your list in particular, Fireball and friends aren't as good. I understant they double as both early game burn and late-game finishers, but they don't do either job very well. Your bombs (which you have too many of for a control-type deck) aren't cost effective compared to other options. Burn-Counter-Kill is an alright strategy, but you should use stronger spells to do it, and I would definitely consider some 1 cmc discard spells. Thoughtseize is obviously best, but Inquisition of Kozilek and Duress are both popular as well.
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
Sign In to post comments