New rules regarding opponent's triggers and Dark Confidant

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
In the new rules, dark confidant's trigger is non-lapsing.

If your opponent forgets, before your opponents next upkeep, you can remind your opponent and force the trigger onto the stack? What if a player uses a card like Brainstorm, putting a land on the top and an emrakul second - and draws the land and then the opponent forces him to put the trigger onto the stack? Or if you don't know what is on top, you draw an emrakul then an opponent reminds you and you reveal a land?

I've had another source (from another judge) that the rule remains unchanged from how it used to work.

It's not a very SPECIFIC question, but am I incorrect in thinking that this could be abusable? 
Also another rulings question: 

It's turn 2 of the game, and a player taps his Scalding Tarn and an island for a Remand. After he untaps and draws for his next turn, he realizes he didn't crack his fetchland the previous turn. What is the result? 

It's turn 2 of the game, and a player taps his Scalding Tarn and an island for a Remand. After he untaps and draws for his next turn, he realizes he didn't crack his fetchland the previous turn. What is the result? 

What? Scalding Tarn doesn't have mana ability! How could you tap it for Remand?

That's the point.

That's the point.

In my group, we would make him put the card he just drew back into his library, search for the land, and then shuffle his library. Then he could draw for his turn. Not much you can do about the card he drew for remand at that point.  And then, I would watch him every time he played a fetchland, because that sounds sketchy to me. 
Regarding the Remand scenario: In a tournament, it's a Game Play Error - Game Rule Violation and is a warning. Or, if it's believed by the Judge that it was done intentionally... It could be Cheating and a DQ. If the top card of the library was known to the player casting Remand (say, off a Ponder or Brainstorm) when Remand was illegally cast (a search and shuffle would've been required) I might be more likely to DQ that player if I was judging.

Sean Stackhouse Level Two Judge (Yay!) Maine

If your opponent forgets, before your opponents next upkeep, you can remind your opponent and force the trigger onto the stack? What if a player uses a card like Brainstorm, putting a land on the top and an emrakul second - and draws the land and then the opponent forces him to put the trigger onto the stack? Or if you don't know what is on top, you draw an emrakul then an opponent reminds you and you reveal a land?

If a trigger is non-lapsing, then it behaves the same as it did before except it is put on the bottom of the stack. If the trigger is caught within a turn cycle, then it is put on the bottom of the stack, and the controller gets a Missed Trigger warning.

A judge probably would not rewind the game in your scenarios. They would just put the trigger on the bottom of the stack as soon as it is caught.

If a trigger is non-lapsing, then it behaves the same as it did before except it is put on the bottom of the stack. If the trigger is caught within a turn cycle, then it is put on the bottom of the stack, and the controller gets a Missed Trigger warning.

A judge probably would not rewind the game in your scenarios. They would just put the trigger on the bottom of the stack as soon as it is caught.

What does "non-lapsing" trigger mean?  

It is a term in the new IPG. Lapsing triggers are triggered abilities that are basically always beneficial. If you forget a lapsing trigger, there are no penalties. If the trigger is not remembered right away, it is not put on the stack even if someone catches it later in the turn.
It is a term in the new IPG. Lapsing triggers are triggered abilities that are basically always beneficial. If you forget a lapsing trigger, there are no penalties. If the trigger is not remembered right away, it is not put on the stack even if someone catches it later in the turn.

Thanks for the explanation.

I thought they already tried that idea and discarded it.  Is the new doc up?  Link?

It's in the new IPG, which can be downloaded here: www.wizards.com/wpn/Document.aspx?x=Magi...

EDIT: Oops, wrong document.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

It's in the new MTR

Actually, it's the new IPG that mentions lapsing triggers.

The IPG says to make no attempt to rewind the game. You will reveal whichever card is on top at the time the trigger is remembered. If you put Emrakul on top of your deck, then you accidentally did 15 damage to yourself.